Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Looks like it'll cost me 49 euro with meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Looks like a great phone but not enough of an upgrade to tempt me away from my M7 which is still a fantastic phone. Expandable memory is a big plus in my view, I've never liked the push towards cloud storage. I haven't had WiFi for over a year now so I prefer to have media on my phone physically rather than burning through my data allowance with streaming. The on-screen keys are a big drawback for me though. I've always been much more of a fan of having soft keys below the screen but that's just personal preference I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Looks like I will be getting one next week if they are available from Three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Just held one of these and it felt unreal! Very slick in the hand doesn't feel all that heavy considering its so much metal I'm sold already. The dot case is nice but felt a bit flimsy to be honest the phone recognises it then adapts the display to show through it nice but wouldn't be much in the way of protection.
    Sense felt slick for the breif time I was playing with it

Only thing holding me back is meteors data allowances have been slashed in new contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Just ordered the Dot View case

Just need the fecken phone now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So meteor quoted me €129 for the phone + €31.20 a month for 24 months:

400 mins/texts, 1GB Data & free meteor calls/texts.

Anything better out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So meteor quote f me €129 for the phone + €31.20 a month for 24 months:

400 mins/texts, 1GB Data & free meteor calls/texts.

Anything better out there?

Emobile has better for 4g. Particularly if you're already an Eircom customer. But while they've said they're stocking the phone, from 4th April they haven't revealed a price.

Eircom customers get unlimited calls and texts plus 5gb data and 4g connection.

24 a month for first 6 months. 39 for the final 18 months

Also have unlimited data till 1st may but they've been extending this particular offer regularly

Shot through to Newry and picked up this beast today. Is it a worthy upgrade over the One? I dunno. Did I have to have it? Yes.

For anyone that is interested, I paid £459 (just over €550 I think). Even with fuel taken into account, still a good deal.

What's the general consensus on best/fastest pace to get a dot view case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

€20 from expansys is definitely the cheapest place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Basil3 wrote: »
    Shot through to Newry and picked up this beast today. Is it a worthy upgrade over the One? I dunno. Did I have to have it? Yes.

For anyone that is interested, I paid £459 (just over €550 I think). Even with fuel taken into account, still a good deal.

Where did you get it at that price ? It's 529 pounds sim free in carphone warehouse in newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

can the on screen buttons not be removed with a custom launcher? or are you stuck with them?

medic087 wrote: »
    Where did you get it at that price ? It's 529 pounds sim free in carphone warehouse in newry.

3 in the shopping centre. They sold to me for the same price as online. Also called vodafone up there, they said it would be £485 there. Even though I'm with Vodafone here, 3 was the best option.....no bloat and sim unlocked.

can the on screen buttons not be removed with a custom launcher? or are you stuck with them?

pretty much stuck with them, but i have no problem with them.

on a side note, battery life is definitely way better than on the previous one. i was on 2 hours screen on with 75% left before i had to plug in to my pc to do some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't see why you'd want to remove them, as with no physical buttons you'd either be relying on gestures or something else to access that functionality. What if you're in an app with no exit option, and need to get back to your homescreen, and you've removed the on-screen buttons?

on a side note, battery life is definitely way better than on the previous one. i was on 2 hours screen on with 75% left before i had to plug in to my pc to do some stuff.

The battery life story is almost enough on its own to justify the upgrade HTC have don some job to get near the G2 with only 2600mah. Shame about the camera but il probably upgrade to the M8 in a month or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

beno619 wrote: »
    The battery life story is almost enough on its own to justify the upgrade HTC have don some job to get near the G2 with only 2600mah. Shame about the camera but il probably upgrade to the M8 in a month or two :)

If you're waiting two months I'd nearly hold off for theG3. If even half the rumours of that phone are true, it'll kill everything

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

3 in the shopping centre. They sold to me for the same price as online. Also called vodafone up there, they said it would be £485 there. Even though I'm with Vodafone here, 3 was the best option.....no bloat and sim unlocked.

Which online price are you talking about? The cheapest online (UK) price I see is around £530. I don't see any unlocked price on any vodafone or three website. Which shopping centre? Further info needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Uriel. wrote: »
    If you're waiting two months I'd nearly hold off for theG3. If even half the rumours of that phone are true, it'll kill everything

In what way exactly?

I think it's more or less agreed that for the moment phone technology has plateaued.

Is the screen going to be much better?

Would an extra gig of RAM make it even faster? (HTC like every other high end phone is already very fast)

Would a slightly faster processor make that big a difference?

The only things I can see that it will or might do better is a better camera and battery. I think anyone buying the M8 knows there are better cameras and have already decided that they consider other things more important. As far as the battery goes, just speaking for myself, all I want is a phone that I can use as often as I like and it will last me the day any more than that is a bonus. By all accounts the M8 does this, helped significantly by the processor.

I'm probably going to buy the M8 and what is attracting me is the hardware, the unibody design and those two huge speakers. Unless the Lg is going to rival that I'm not sure if I give a **** if it has a 4000mah battery and 4gb RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BeeBumble

Did you get the 16gb? Is the 32gb available sim free?

I'm tempted to take a trip up tomorrow for it! :D

• Advertisement

Im holding off till closer to contract time. Data packs at the mo are cat

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Have the current One and will probably upgrade to the new One. Not a big camera(is the camera better?) user just Facebook etc.Like the dot case and i think that's the big seller to me.

BeeBumble wrote: »
    Did you get the 16gb? Is the 32gb available sim free?

I'm tempted to take a trip up tomorrow for it! :D

16GB is all we are getting here, unfortunately. Of course, you can chuck in a 128GB sd card....
    Which online price are you talking about? The cheapest online (UK) price I see is around £530. I don't see any unlocked price on any vodafone or three website. Which shopping centre? Further info needed.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/HTC/One_M8?tab=Outstanding%2520design.&memory=16&colour=Grey

make sure you select to show pay as you go plans also. I think they say the final price is £474 because they would sell you a sim with credit, but my guy just sold me a sim for £1, so it was £460.

I also called Vodafone in Newry and they said they were arriving any day (probably there now) and it was £485.

Bwn3ONn.png

Uriel. wrote: »

LG would have to radically improve thier software and design to swung things for me personally, no doubt it will be a great phone tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Disappointed with the battery tbh, 2600 mah simply doesn't cut it for me as I'd be a power user. Phone looks good otherwise though.

Think il hold out and see what the G3 brings as the G2 was such an awesome phone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Disappointed with the battery tbh, 2600 mah simply doesn't cut it for me as I'd be a power user. Phone looks good otherwise though.

Think il hold out and see what the G3 brings as the G2 was such an awesome phone.

It's not all about numbers. It performs well on battery, think i could get 7+ screen on time if I wanted. Today I was 2 hours screen on after 5 hours with 75% left.

Different things are important to different people. For me, Sense UI is a big pull, and development also. The M8 is going to have a thriving development community, looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

It's not all about numbers. It performs well on battery, think i could get 7+ screen on time if I wanted. Today I was 2 hours screen on after 5 hours with 75% left.

With full brightness? I'd have to doubt that.
    I had the M7, and while it's a brilliant phone I found myself tinkering with brightness and settings just to make it to 3pm.
    I'm not in any rush to buy a phone at the moment so will wait a few months and then decide.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I had the M7, and while it's a brilliant phone I found myself tinkering with brightness and settings just to make it to 3pm.
    I'm not in any rush to buy a phone at the moment so will wait a few months and then decide.

It's worth noting that the new processor is a lot easier on the battery, this combined with a bigger battery means it should be significantly improved.

Auto brightness, although i wasn't in a bright environment (I am in Dublin :D)

TPUQ3OM.jpg

• Advertisement

That seems pretty impressive actually!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement