Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The academy tries their hardest to be as PC as possible to the point it comes across as desperate and online SJWs still find issue with the Oscars, lol just lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The academy tries their hardest to be as PC as possible to the point it comes across as desperate and online SJWs still find issue with the Oscars, lol just lol.

Ya its ridiculous people saying it should be more diverse and singling out Selma, plenty of films don't make the grade its no reason to make it about race, if I was involved in the vote I would be extremely offended. Its like someone sayin Interstellar didn't feature very much but its not because its not the best film ever its because all the judges were sifi racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Very surprised how to train your Dragon two didn't get the best animated.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Very surprised how to train your Dragon two didn't get the best animated.

Same. Big Hero 6 was a good movie but not on the same level as HTTYD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

For me best speech of the night was the young fella who won for best adapted screen play for The Imitation Game.
    Stay weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Same. Big Hero 6 was a good movie but not on the same level as HTTYD2.

It was a Disney night all round really. Short animated film too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

SarahBM wrote: »
    For me best speech of the night was the young fella who won for best adapted screen play for The Imitation Game.
    Stay weird.

That speech was outstanding, I hope someone out there going through a hard time heard that speech and took some comfort in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I love Patricia Arquette, she's one hot momma and cool as hell woman. She holds her curves well and her character in Boardwalk Empire oozed sex appeal.

eternal wrote: »
    I love Patricia Arquette, she's one hot momma and cool as hell woman. She holds her curves well and her character in Boardwalk Empire oozed sex appeal.

Too bad she talks about income inequality after getting a goodie bag worth over $150k just for attending the oscars lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

Income inequality? Racial diversity? Immigrants?

Christ, was the whole night one giant self-defined victim PC whingefest? Glad I didn't stay up to watch it.

• Advertisement

DrFloppy wrote: »
    Income inequality? Racial diversity? Immigrants?

Christ, was the whole night one giant self-defined victim PC whingefest? Glad I didn't stay up to watch it.

Don't forget the white guilt, that's a big one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Snowchaser wrote: »
    Don't understand all the love for Boyhood. Just because the film was made over 13 years doesn't automatically mean it's good.

The last 30 mins listening was drawn out and the amount of crap the kid was talking was boring. Pretentious rubbish.

Bird man and whiplash grand Budapest on the other hand are great films.

Thats kind of why people liked it I suspect as teenagers in real life spout a lot of boring sh1te aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Don't understand all the love for Boyhood. Just because the film was made over 13 years doesn't automatically mean it's good.
    The last 30 mins listening was drawn out and the amount of crap the kid was talking was boring. Pretentious rubbish.

It's true that many critics have dressed it up heavy in portent, but you need to separate that form what the film itself is actually doing and saying. I'm not directing this as you in particular, but I honestly feel that many people today don't know what pretentious means. You should explain what you mean. What makes it pretentious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Snowchaser

The Academy got it spot on with Boyhood.

The film was weak across a number of aspects.

The final 30 minutes were basically just a pretentious kid going off on one. Like how can a high school kid be sssooo deep. Cringe.

Just because it was made over the 12 years people though it should get an Oscar. Absolute rubbish excuse.

Well done the Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Too bad she talks about income inequality after getting a goodie bag worth over $150k just for attending the oscars lol
    What does a goodie bag have to do with income inequality? Do you even know what she's taking about?

Effects wrote: »
    What does a goodie bag have to do with income inequality? Do you even know what she's taking about?

No, enlighten me

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Academy got it spot on with Boyhood.

The film was weak across a number of aspects.

The final 30 minutes were basically just a pretentious kid going off on one. Like how can a high school kid be sssooo deep. Cringe.

Just because it was made over the 12 years people though it should get an Oscar. Absolute rubbish excuse.

Well done the Academy.

His waffling sounded exactly like the kind of crap you'd expect from someone that age to me. :D I think the fact that the film focused so much on the mundane aspects of real life is what put folks off, people were hoping for something that ticked more of the coming of age cliché boxes like The Way Way Back for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I could only last about 30 minutes of the grand Budapest hotel
    It was dreadfully boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1 helovesher52

How did he not get one again? this is an outrage! Di caprio or leo as i like to call him! he is such a good actor he could play anyone or anything!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It doesn't surprise me one bit that after Arquette gave a very pointed, passionate and rousing speech the people online who crave empty platitudes and escapism were like "Boo! SJWs! Political correctness gone mad!".

Do you all want every speech to be a platitudinous "Thank the crew. Thank God. Thank mom & dad."? I really don't get it.

• Advertisement

Also can't help but hope that since Boyhood didn't win best picture the annoying "Boring, nothing happens! It's such a gimmick. The kid is annoying." people can play their overrated card elsewhere. ;)

I loved Birdman though but Whiplash would have been my #1 choice. Hell that music alone when JK walked up to the stage made me want to go back and watch the film right away.

...and regarding the Selma snub. If the completely flat and boring Imitation Game could get a best director nomination Ava DuVernay sure as hell should have.

I agree but I don't think it was the script's intention for him to be an annoying teenager. I think they movie was backing his pretentious outlook on life.

I agree that we didn't need another 'Way Way Back' but the story lone was weak. No doubt there were some good acting performances but it lacked as a film.

Making a film over 12 years shouldn’t automatically qualify you for an oscar.

I agree but I don't think it was the script's intention for him to be an annoying teenager. I think they movie was backing his pretentious outlook on life.
    Since it's a humanist look at life and the film has such an experimental nature you have to give it a bit of leeway. I can't help but sense that when people churlishly put down the character they're rejecting what they were like at that age too. Sure from the ages of 14 and 17 he's a little moody but he's finding a voice and purpose in life at that point.
    I agree that we didn't need another 'Way Way Back' but the story lone was weak. No doubt there were some good acting performances but it lacked as a film.
    Couldn't disagree more, the film didn't need anything in the way of contrived conflict or obvious structure. There is so much told through the gaps in time alone, it really is one of the fullest, liveliest films I've ever seen.
    Making a film over 12 years shouldn’t automatically qualify you for an oscar.
    It doesn't, or else 56 Up would have that beat. ;)

e_e wrote: »
    Since it's a humanist look at life and the film has such an experimental nature you have to give it a bit of leeway. I can't help but sense that when people churlishly put down the character they're rejecting what they were like at that age too. Sure from the ages of 14 and 17 he's a little moody but he's finding a voice and purpose in life at that point.

Couldn't disagree more, the film didn't need anything in the way of contrived conflict or obvious structure. There is so much told through the gaps in time alone, it really is one of the fullest, liveliest films I've ever seen.

Difference of opinion I guess :) That's what makes film interesting.

I just think the whole film tried to be ordinary and it really just didn't come off.

The kid just had a pretentious annoying character. 'Oh look at me, I am so different….'. Absolute tripe. He was only in high school for god sake.

I really feel they tried to push home that this is the right way to be. The director's view on life maybe?

The last 60 mins was tiresome and the only notable scene being Patricia Arquette's view on her life. This partially saved it.

I agree with previous posters' that 'Whiplash' was a top top film and probably deserved best film. However, Birdman was a very worthy winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for The Way Way Back on here. I enjoyed it. Sometimes I don't mind when a film is cliche and ticks all the coming-of-age boxes. Sometimes it's just nice to sit back and see how the film goes about doing it. It reminds me of watching Barcelona a few seasons back. You know beforehand that Messi was gonna score a brace, and that they'd demolish the opposition, but the pleasure was in watching it all unfold again, despite knowing the outcome. Admittedly, I only feel that way about certain types of films. For example, sports movies absolutely grate when the team/boxer/driver clinches the match/race in the dying seconds of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Gutted for Linklater and Keaton. Linklater's one of my favourite directors and I thought he did an amazing job with Boyhood. This was probably Michael Keaton's last shot at the Oscar too. Ugh.

I also thought Neil Patrick Harris was only okay as host. Non controversial, singy and dancey etc. A less interesting and funny Billy Crystal really.

I'm going to start campaigning for Jim Carrey to host next year...

NPH was such a flat host. He looked like a deer in the headlights at times, like his teleprompter was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I'm going to start campaigning for Jim Carrey to host next year...

great idea!

The kid just had a pretentious annoying character. 'Oh look at me, I am so different….'. Absolute tripe. He was only in high school for god sake.

I really feel they tried to push home that this is the right way to be. The director's view on life maybe?
    Linklater simply accepts people for who they are. I find it refreshing in an age of cynicism and 15 different levels of irony to everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    His waffling sounded exactly like the kind of crap you'd expect from someone that age to me. :D I think the fact that the film focused so much on the mundane aspects of real life is what put folks off, people were hoping for something that ticked more of the coming of age cliché boxes like The Way Way Back for example.

His outlook at that stage definitely rang true. He was indulging in some acid as well so was bound to be a little philosophical

Advertisement