Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Hi all I am just looking for some information.

I was in the Gemeente Eindhoven earlier finding out information about the social number. I am relocating here from Ireland. In relation to the birth certificate do I need the original and a special stamp on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Hi all I am just looking for some information.

I was in the Gemeente Eindhoven earlier finding out information about the social number. I am relocating here from Ireland. In relation to the birth certificate do I need the original and a special stamp on it ?

They wouldnt take my birthcert without the apostille stamp on it.

However they would register me with the gemente. I was just an orphan for the first 3 years until I produced the apostilled birthcert.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They wouldnt take my birthcert without the apostille stamp on it.

However they would register me with the gemente. I was just an orphan for the first 3 years until I produced the apostilled birthcert.

You only need your Passport:
    http://www.denhaag.nl/en/residents/services/Registration-procedures-for-nonresidents-of-the-Netherlands.htm

Apostilled birth cert we only needed when registering our marriage (along with our apostilled marriage cert)

Edit:
    Also here

http://www.eindhoven.nl/documents-2/registration-of-nonresidents-and-delivery-BSN-1.htm
    Requirements

BSN for adults:

• Valid proof of identity (passport or identity card)
    • It will help to speed up the processing of your application if you write your address in your country of origin and the address where you are staying or intend to stay in the Netherlands on the form entitles 'Address in country of origin and in the Netherlands' before you take this form to the Municipality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You only need your Passport:
    http://www.denhaag.nl/en/residents/services/Registration-procedures-for-nonresidents-of-the-Netherlands.htm

Apostilled birth cert we only needed when registering our marriage (along with our apostilled marriage cert)

Edit:
    Also here

http://www.eindhoven.nl/documents-2/registration-of-nonresidents-and-delivery-BSN-1.htm

As I said I was able to register. I wasn't able to register my parents names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Just wondering why you'd do this - so one could claim unused tax credits for the other or is there another reason to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

'feliciteerd.

'feliciteerd.

Ook feliciteered.

Gefeliciteerd.

:D

Just wondering why you'd do this - so one could claim unused tax credits for the other or is there another reason to do this?

Lots of reasons.

One big one is that when my Wife isn't working she's covered by my German Health Insurance policy

Also if something happens to either of us then there is no confusion with arrangements (hospitals, bank accounts,house etc)

Tax as well, it's possible to write off your Tax partners expenses against your income.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't register as married though if that was the case :confused: ?

The above is not the reason we got married though :D:D:D

Lots of reasons.

One big one is that when my Wife isn't working she's covered by my German Health Insurance policy

Also if something happens to either of us then there is no confusion with arrangements (hospitals, bank accounts,house etc)

Tax as well, it's possible to write off your Tax partners expenses against your income.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't register as married though if that was the case :confused: ?

In Ireland the only point in letting the tax office know your married is if one earns significantly less than the other or one doesn't work and the other does.

I assumed it would be the same in Holland and I suppose we'd be unusual in that we both work and earn the same as each other, so I didn't see any point

when you say it's possible to write off your Tax partners expenses against your income I assume you mean when one isn't working/is earning significantly less than the other. I assume in a case where both work and earn the same as each other this doesn't apply.

You could have a point about if something happened to one of us there would be no confusion in hospital or with a bank account.

This sounds like a lotta hassle though....think we'd need like you have -a financial incentive - to go to that hassle rather than a hypothetical 'what if something happened to one of us''

:pac:

This sounds like a lotta hassle though....think we'd need like you have -a financial incentive - to go to that hassle rather than a hypothetical 'what if something happened to one of us''

:pac:

Nah, it was 30 minutes and 40 euros in the office at Stephens Green, or you can do it in the Embassy in the Hague as well, you don't even need to go in yourself.

It's just security really, it's not like Ireland where you can just show your marriage cert, it's whatever is in the BRP.

I don't even pay income tax in NL anyway :)

• Advertisement

Nah, it was 30 minutes and 40 euros in the office at Stephens Green, or you can do it in the Embassy in the Hague as well, you don't even need to go in yourself.

Was that for both birth certs and the marriage cert to be apostilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I am currently looking for a place to live in Eindhoven. Rents for apartment's are high so was looking at maybe renting a room in a house.
    What are the best places areas of the city to look ? Will need a car parking space as well.

I am currently looking for a place to live in Eindhoven. Rents for apartment's are high so was looking at maybe renting a room in a house.
    What are the best places areas of the city to look ? Will need a car parking space as well.

Depends on budget and where you work really. Eindhoven's bus routes all go to the Center of the City, no Orbital routes so getting from one side to the other means taking two buses.

Here's a rental map on Kamernet:
    https://kamernet.nl/huren/map/kamer-eindhoven?minprice=0&maxprice=400&surface=2&radiusid=2&pageno=1&itemsperpage=15&sortorder=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Does anyone know how to cancel the health insurance allowance, I can only change my salary earnings, but I want to make sure the allowance is cancelled entirely so I dont have to back pay

Saw this .. might be of Interest to someone

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/dutch

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Saw this .. might be of Interest to someone

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/dutch

Absolute gent, that will come in very handy.

Thinking of making the move over in about 16 months. Could anybody who has recently moved over answer a couple of questions for me? Myself and GF are planning on going over January 2017 (long way away I know due to job commitments and such). We've been to Amsterdam 4 times in the past 18 months and just love the place. Happy to move a bit outside of course or even further afield as it's more so the outskirts of amsterdam that appeals.

1.In terms of job availability. We're both in decent enough jobs (30k circa salary 9-5 office jobs). I know it obviously depends on circumstances but are these jobs widely available for people from abroad? Is there a high rate of Multinationals around?

2. I've heard the rental market is pretty pricey? Obviously even though it is subject to change within the next year would it be relatively close to dublin? For example 1/2 bedroom apartment cost the same as dublin city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

wardides wrote: »
    Absolute gent, that will come in very handy.

Thinking of making the move over in about 16 months. Could anybody who has recently moved over answer a couple of questions for me? Myself and GF are planning on going over January 2017 (long way away I know due to job commitments and such). We've been to Amsterdam 4 times in the past 18 months and just love the place. Happy to move a bit outside of course or even further afield as it's more so the outskirts of amsterdam that appeals.

1.In terms of job availability. We're both in decent enough jobs (30k circa salary 9-5 office jobs). I know it obviously depends on circumstances but are these jobs widely available for people from abroad? Is there a high rate of Multinationals around?

2. I've heard the rental market is pretty pricey? Obviously even though it is subject to change within the next year would it be relatively close to dublin? For example 1/2 bedroom apartment cost the same as dublin city?

If you speak Dutch then yes there are jobs. If English the job market is much more limited, especially at your salary range. You need to define exactly what sort of job it is you want or can do and how much you expect to earn.

30k a year is around 1900 net a month. Expect to pay around 1000-1200 for an okay apt. E.g. Oud west, spaardamerbuurt or somewhere 15 minutes bike away.

Yes rent is similar to Dublin city and I assume what you mean by the ''outskirts'' is probably the areas that most people live here. Very few live in the city centre.

We live in Rivierenbuurt (which would be a good neighbourhood) and pay 1500 p/m for a 3 bedroom. That actually was more but I got our rent reduced by the Wijkspunt Wonen. Previously I have rented shared rooms in the same neighbourhood - 800 sharing with one person (2 flatmates sharing a 2 bedroom place), 600 sharing with 2 (3 flatmates each with our own room).

As you're a couple, you'll have to get your own place so even if you live in the less-desirable areas of Amsterdam you're still looking at the kind of rent dissed doc mentions.

As for jobs - most people that I know here are here for the 30% rule. In order to get that your gross salary has to be circa 50k. If we weren't getting the 30% rule not sure if living here would have that much more appeal over Ireland to be honest. Especially with the economy in Ireland picking up now.
    I'd say your take home here would be less than Ireland coz tax is comparable and PRSI in Ireland is only 4%, over here it's more like 14%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

As for jobs - most people that I know here are here for the 30% rule. In order to get that your gross salary has to be circa 50k. If we weren't getting the 30% rule not sure if living here would have that much more appeal over Ireland to be honest. Especially with the economy in Ireland picking up now.
    I'd say your take home here would be less than Ireland coz tax is comparable and PRSI in Ireland is only 4%, over here it's more like 14%.

Be clear about it though, in order to get the 30% ruling there are increasingly strict criteria. You need to have a skill that's in short supply in the Netherlands. 5 years ago they would give it to anyone. It's more difficult now. FYI the 30% ruling is a 30% tax free allowance granted to knowledge migrants for a period of 10 years.

Cost of living is higher in the Netherlands, and higher still in Amsterdam. If your timeline is so long, I would first look at gaining language skills (as a lot here are multilingual), upskilling in the job you're in and putting the feelers out to multinationals with offices in Amsterdam and surroundings. Check www.monsterboard.nl , they're generally the most complete for job searches.

FYI the 30% ruling is a 30% tax free allowance granted to knowledge migrants for a period of 10 years.

Cost of living is higher in the Netherlands, and higher still in Amsterdam. If your timeline is so long, I would first look at gaining language skills (as a lot here are multilingual), upskilling in the job you're in and putting the feelers out to multinationals with offices in Amsterdam and surroundings. Check www.monsterboard.nl , they're generally the most complete for job searches.

It's reduced to 8 years now as well!

Doesn't sound like the guy asking the question is going to be a contender for the 30% rule, he said they earn circa 30k gross, so that's why I didn't bother going into detail about what it is, I was more making the point that if they aren't coming over here for that.....they'd want to be clear what it is they are coming over here for. If it's for the party lifestyle/the smokes/the bicycles fair enough! :P That alone wouldn't be enough to entice me over if there wasn't a financial incentive.

One thing that's cheaper here in Amsterdam than home - Groceries! They're a good bit cheaper. Think it has to do with VAT rates.

• Advertisement

Ya to be honest I don't see it lasting too much longer. I know Dutch people who actually do two Bachelor degrees at the same time because you only have to pay registration once. Education is changing here. It's really unfair and ridiculous to have people like that being valued less just because they're not expats. Also having worked in HR with expat employees, you'd want to see the temper tantrums when the time is up. Like they don't know or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

One thing that's cheaper here in Amsterdam than home - Groceries! They're a good bit cheaper. Think it has to do with VAT rates.

What is the food from Dutch supermarkets like? The few times I've visited the Netherlands I always found it pretty dire foodwise apart from cheese.

Doesn't sound like the guy asking the question is going to be a contender for the 30% rule, he said they earn circa 30k gross, so that's why I didn't bother going into detail about what it is, I was more making the point that if they aren't coming over here for that.....they'd want to be clear what it is they are coming over here for. If it's for the party lifestyle/the smokes/the bicycles fair enough! :P That alone wouldn't be enough to entice me over if there wasn't a financial incentive.

Definitely not coming over for the party lifestyle/smokes. Just enjoy the way of life over there. Uncles brother in law has lived there for 17 years and has nothing but positives about it. More or so due to the fact that we're both 25 & looking to experience a different culture, live a different way of life for a couple of years. Basically experience something new before we throw ourselves into the pitfalls that is the Irish property market.

In terms of the 30% rule. Whilst I've heard of it, what is the actual definition of criteria. When you say skilled are you talking as in trades like we have over here? (Builder etc?). I work in marketing within FMCG & the girlfriend works for a large translation company and can speak a couple of languages.

100% throwing myself into learning Dutch, as I'm not sure why anybody would move to another country and not make an effort to speak the language. Irregardless of how well that country speak English, I'd feel it's the minimum to make an effort (even for your own development there is no harm).

Sorry, I'm just seeing you said your wage has to be circa 50k to benefit from 30% rule, so that makes more sense as to why I probably wouldn't get it. Industry I'm in, my next move would probably be towards that pay scale (I've had offers circa 45k) but obviously not sure whether that correlates to Holland. Not looking for an answer there either, as it's practically impossible for someone to say whether there is or not without knowing the full details.

In terms of the 30% rule. Whilst I've heard of it, what is the actual definition of criteria. When you say skilled are you talking as in trades like we have over here? (Builder etc?). I work in marketing within FMCG & the girlfriend works for a large translation company and can speak a couple of languages.

100% throwing myself into learning Dutch, as I'm not sure why anybody would move to another country and not make an effort to speak the language. Irregardless of how well that country speak English, I'd feel it's the minimum to make an effort (even for your own development there is no harm).

No, you need degrees at the minimum (or professional experience). Most people receiving it now would have Masters or PhD level. It really would depend on you and your girlfriend's exact skills, when I was processing these applications they were on a case by case basis. I know things have changed in the mean time. The companies that you apply to would be able to give you a better idea as to whether you will qualify or not, as salaries offered often depend on this. For example, they would be able to offer you a lower gross wage if you were a candidate for the 30% ruling.

No, you need degrees at the minimum (or professional experience). Most people receiving it now would have Masters or PhD level. It really would depend on you and your girlfriend's exact skills, when I was processing these applications they were on a case by case basis. I know things have changed in the mean time. The companies that you apply to would be able to give you a better idea as to whether you will qualify or not, as salaries offered often depend on this. For example, they would be able to offer you a lower gross wage if you were a candidate for the 30% ruling.

Yeah that's the impression I got. Whilst we both have degrees, it does seem very open to interpenetration as to what they class as a skilled worker. I did hear the tax was fairly high, I think I worked it out that I'd need to be earning around 10k more over there to come home with the same wage as I take home here.

Does the cost of living even it out to some extent? Any time I've been there I've found groceries & alcohol to be relatively cheap? Now I could have just been lucky in terms of where I have been, and maybe I have that wrong all together.

On another note, is there anywhere else that would be a hub for large MNC's to set up, or another city which is similar? Should make it known that we're not set on amsterdam (although being high first preference) somehere like The Hague, Alkmaar for example also appeals to me. I've also been to Nijmegen a couple of times and loved it (albeit a few years back and visiting college friends).

I mean, any of the major cities really. We used to live in Den Haag and are now in Eindhoven, much prefer Eindhoven. I know Amsterdam quite well and would still prefer Eindhoven. Off the top of my head, Utrecht (might think about a move there at some point in the future), Leiden, Haarlem, Den Bosch, Tilburg, Breda, Maastricht, Venlo, Groningen, Roermond, Sittard would all have plenty of jobs to offer expats.

Cheers. Appreciate all the feedback here folks!

Definitely not coming over for the party lifestyle/smokes. Just enjoy the way of life over there. Uncles brother in law has lived there for 17 years and has nothing but positives about it. More or so due to the fact that we're both 25 & looking to experience a different culture, live a different way of life for a couple of years. Basically experience something new before we throw ourselves into the pitfalls that is the Irish property market.

Well that sounds like a good reason to come over. Living abroad for a few years before settling down is a really great thing to do in my opinion.

• Advertisement

What is the food from Dutch supermarkets like? The few times I've visited the Netherlands I always found it pretty dire foodwise apart from cheese.

Last time I criticised dutch food on here there was a backlash :D:D
    Suffice to say I'm not a fan, no....

Funnily enough on the cheese thing. There are 2 cheese shops on my street and not one of them has a solid, crumbly cheese like cheddar. All of the cheeses in the shops even what they consider a hard cheese (usually the ''Oud'' ones) is still squashy if you pushed it with your finger.

Despite living in the land of cheese, I've recently started bringing cheddar back over with me from Ireland when I go home ....

Advertisement