Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

368100 wrote: »
    Anybody seeing reductions in quotes due to the setanta insurance ruling? Are we likely to see it?

Reductions:eek:

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Buckley710

Your Age: 20
    Car type and engine: 2004 Audi A4, 1.6
    years driving: 3 (Named Driver for all)
    any claims: No
    Price and provider: €2039 Fully Comp. through Broker with KennCo (First 'own' insurance policy)

Allianz quoted €5500 for fully comp. and €2250 3rd Party Fire & Theft (Including the ability to drive other cars with 3rd Party cover)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

368100 wrote: »
    Anybody seeing reductions in quotes due to the setanta insurance ruling? Are we likely to see it?

The emerging trend I've seen with the company I work for is that for claims free drivers with cars less than 10 years old there are very little increases on last year, around 3 to 4%.

The market isn't in a place for reductions just yet but we are at the top of the cycle in a hard market, things will soften and prices will come down in the next 24 months.

I don't expect them to ever reach (and I hope they never do) the frankly stupid levels they were at 7 or 8 years ago but people should see a positive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

Buckley710 wrote: »
    Your Age: 20
    Car type and engine: 2004 Audi A4, 1.6
    years driving: 3 (Named Driver for all)
    any claims: No
    Price and provider: €2039 Fully Comp. through Broker with KennCo (First 'own' insurance policy)

Looks like I'll be giving them a call for my "First 'own' insurance policy". I wonder would I get a similar quote having only one year named experience, but on a smaller engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Buckley710

Looks like I'll be giving them a call for my "First 'own' insurance policy". I wonder would I get a similar quote having only one year named experience, but on a smaller engine...

Id honestly recommend going through brokers if you're under 21, I got the above quote through MIG (McCarthy insurance group)

If the car is relatively new then insurance will be kind, every insurance policy crucifies older cars but small engines defiantly help a good bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

08 318d
    7 years full license
    Will be 6 years no claims next month

Currently paying 46 a month inc. Direct debit fees for tpft with liberty.

Renewal - 928 euro (!!!) Including debit charges or 838 all at once.

Checked other companies and ranged from 1050 - 3000 tpft.

Checked liberty online again and put in the quote as if I was a new customer and all the exact same details as I have now.... 568 euro (full payment) tpft or 106 1st month and 46.xx a month after... how could this be? Will be ringing them tomorrow to try explain. And I'll be taking that.

Edit- when I got the initial quote in the post I rang them up and asked why. They asked ``have you not read the papers about the increases`` !

Edit 2 - rang again today and gave the online quote. Matched up all my details and added on the no claims protection and windscreen cover too. 649 full payment or monthly for 698 total.

Double check your own insurance companies online folks. Saved me over 200e.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Car: 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 Automatic Ghia
    NCB: 8 years
    Years Driving: ~16
    Licence: Full Irish
    Penalty Points: 0
    Cover: Comprehensive+ NCB protection
    Named Driver : 36 years old female with no points/full license

Last year was 650 euro AIG via FirstIreland
    Renewal : 950 from AIG and 770 from Allianz

I didn't check others yet but I don't see it is getting better with a 12 years old car. Still cheaper than replace at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 iguot edgar

kerten wrote: »
    Car: 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 Automatic Ghia
    Years Driving: ~16
    Cover: Comprehensive+ NCB protection
    Named Driver : 36 years old female with no points/full license

Last year was 650 euro AIG via FirstIreland
    Renewal : 950 from AIG and 770 from Allianz

I didn't check others yet but I don't see it is getting better with a 12 years old car. Still cheaper than replace at least.

Try aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Car: 2005 Almera 1.5
    NCB: 9+ years
    Years Driving: 12
    Penalty Points: 3
    Cover: Comprehensive( driving other cars needed) or TPFT+windscreen
    Named Driver : 31 years old female with no points/full license

Last year 645e

Renewal from Allianz came at 597e for fully comp+brakedown+windscreen and driving other cars .TPFT+ same perks came only 14euro cheaper :eek:

BoI Ireland 2235 (WTF :eek::eek::eek:)
    Aviva 728e if paid in one go or 966(wtf??) monthly
    Axa 880
    Liberty 1011
    25 plus 668
    Chill broker 841
    AIG 951
    FBD wont quote.

I will try few more tomorrow but I doubt I will get cheaper anywhere.
    I have also noticed that all big insurers change NCB scale to charge us more.Now its 9+ years to get maximum bonus.With 5years its only 35%!!!Fecking cnuts!

Edit:
    Few more quotes over the phone
    123.ie 887
    AA 952
    Blue (KennCo) 982
    For women 695

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I have also noticed that all big insurers change NCB scale to charge us more.Now its 9+ years to get maximum bonus.With 5years its only 35%!!!Fecking cnuts!
    RSA have a 5 year /50% scale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Car: 2005 Honda Accord
    Cover: Fully comp with step back
    Named Driver : 36 years old wife with no points/full license

Last year: 462
    Renewal: 645

Emailed them and asked why it had increased near on 50% with no claims. They reduced it to 606

Got some huge quotes up to 1500 last night from a variety of the main providers online.

Aviva quoted 537 (with multicar discount). I'll ask Allianz to match that and if they don't I'll renew with Aviva I'd say. Can't see myself doing much better after the quotes I have received so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

Renewed my Insurance this year with Liberty, details are:

Car: 2012 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTI 160

Cover: Fully Comp with protected NCB

Age 34

Licence: Full 8 years

Convictions on licence: 9 endorsements

Price: €574

Price last year: €630

Named drivers: Partner, 34, Full clean licence

Also got a quote on my other car but ended up just insuring the Insignia above

Car: 2007 Peugeot 207 GTI

Cover: Fully comp with protected NCB

Price: €352

My insurance has never risen once, ever!! It has dropped or stayed the same every single year and i cant understand it because everyone i know has had their insurance hike up and are paying way more than me with lean licences and longer NCB on similar and even less powerd cars :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

PBWXFORD wrote: »

Age 34

My insurance has never risen once, ever!! It has dropped or stayed the same every single year and i cant understand it because everyone i know has had their insurance hike up and are paying way more than me with lean licences and longer NCB on similar and even less powerd cars :O
    What in the name of fcuking christ :eek:

Age 34

Mine was the same until this year up around 200. Mad the way it works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

KC161 wrote: »
    What in the name of fcuking christ :eek:

He paid far less than me last year and this year and I have a clean licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

He paid far less than me last year and this year and I have a clean licence.

Thats 2 of us.

Some serious head scratching going on here.

Who are both of ye insured with? I'm with Liberty and that's where I always get the cheapest quote hence why ive always stayed with them! Also when I had just got my license back after being banned they were the only company who would insure me at that time!

Who are both of ye insured with? I'm with Liberty and that's where I always get the cheapest quote hence why ive always stayed with them! Also when I had just got my license back after being banned they were the only company who would insure me at that time!

I'm with 123.ie
    Last year I had a 2 litre turbo petrol a Subaru Imprza WRX may have a reason why it is expensive. Then this year I have a Toyota Levin BZR. but it was first insured as WRX and changed car during the insurance year.

I also tried a few fake quotes on the BZR and in and around the €1000 figure is what I am getting. But hardly anybody will in sure that BZR as it is a 1998 Jap Import.

I'm with 123.ie
    Last year I had a 2 litre turbo petrol a Subaru Imprza WRX may have a reason why it is expensive. Then this year I have a Toyota Levin BZR. but it was first insured as WRX and changed car during the insurance year.

I also tried a few fake quotes on the BZR and in and around the €1000 figure is what I am getting. But hardly anybody will in sure that BZR as it is a 1998 Jap Import.

Did you try Liberty? My friend who's 27 had a 98 BZR insured with them for the past few years and his renewal on it this year was €660 as far as I remember.

I also had a 94 Celica GT4 insured with them back in 2015 which I swapped insurance from a Vectra CDTI that was €460 for the year and there was no increase in the premium which had only started in Feb on the Vectra and I changed over in March

Did you try Liberty? My friend who's 27 had a 98 BZR insured with them for the past few years and his renewal on it this year was €660 as far as I remember.

I also had a 94 Celica GT4 insured with them back in 2015 which I swapped insurance from a Vectra CDTI that was €460 for the year and there was no increase in the premium which had only started in Feb on the Vectra and I changed over in March

I just tried Liberty there for the craic and it came at €1500 TPFT.

32, 5 years NCB

• Advertisement

Liberty wanted 1.5k off me and I'm 50 with full NCB and no claims ever driving a 1.6 diesel.
    I'm baffled.

I just tried Liberty there for the craic and it came at €1500 TPFT.

32, 5 years NCB

Jasus that's more than double his! Do you have anyone as named driver under you? When I started off after getting my license back I put the girlfriend as named driver and it knocked aprox €800 off, and she's been on it since

vandriver wrote: »
    Liberty wanted 1.5k off me and I'm 50 with full NCB and no claims ever driving a 1.6 diesel.
    I'm baffled.

I can't understand that! My Insignia that is currently insured is a 2.0 diesel 160bhp and is €574 fully comp with protected NCB

Jasus that's more than double his! Do you have anyone as named driver under you? When I started off after getting my license back I put the girlfriend as named driver and it knocked aprox €800 off, and she's been on it since

Nobody as a named driver. I do not understand how the insurance company figure having somebody as a named driver will lower your premium.

Surely it is more of a risk having an extra driver.

Nobody as a named driver. I do not understand how the insurance company figure having somebody as a named driver will lower your premium.

Surely it is more of a risk having an extra driver.

I know I can't understand either but it does work, you should do a quote with a named driver and see what happens 😉

I have both parents and the girlfriend as named drivers. Was a 50% drop since i added my parents 3/4 years ago and was no change to out herself on it this year.

vandriver wrote: »
    I'm baffled.
    That was last year!
    Third party fire and theft......1843

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Car: 2005 Almera 1.5
    NCB: 9+ years
    Years Driving: 12
    Penalty Points: 3
    Cover: Comprehensive( driving other cars needed) or TPFT+windscreen
    Named Driver : 31 years old female with no points/full license

Last year 645e

Renewal from Allianz came at 597e for fully comp+brakedown+windscreen and driving other cars .TPFT+ same perks came only 14euro cheaper :eek:

BoI Ireland 2235 (WTF :eek::eek::eek:)
    Aviva 728e if paid in one go or 966(wtf??) monthly
    Axa 880
    Liberty 1011
    25 plus 668
    Chill broker 841
    AIG 951
    FBD wont quote.

I will try few more tomorrow but I doubt I will get cheaper anywhere.

Edit:
    Few more quotes over the phone
    123.ie 887
    AA 952
    Blue (KennCo) 982
    For women 695

Did online quote with Allianz as new customer and I got 499euro(or 12x45e) for fully comp,full bonus protection,windscreen and driving other cars.Called them and they match that quote :D:D:D.100e saved with one phone call
    Paid them 499.37 with my debid card as direct debit was to expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Anyone try 25 Plus.ie ?

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Anyone try 25 Plus.ie ?

Yeah, over 500 more than my renewal quote...

Advertisement