Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements at Ryanair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Jhcx wrote: »
    Great video. its nice that he's promoting the company in a good light rather than the media. But they get 0 points from me for having allocated seating. I just means an extra cost on me to get my seat. and thats a negative. otherwise i so far like the improvements. although im bit confused about the website. they say its rolling out in April but we all know its already here.

Mobile website/app.. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

MYOB wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to pay for a seat allocation, you'll get one at checkin even if you didn't.

I'm still waiting for one of the other people I know who've had as much trouble with FR as I have to use them again and report back well.

So you are going to be able to choose your seat at no extra cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjfmjznXksU&feature=youtu.be

I've never seen MOL like this it's like a different person :D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Extra bag say for airport shopping is a big big plus.

If I have to get this extra bag in my carry in bag I'm still getting it on the plane! Nonsense.

However...

No registered seating no fly fly

Fup queuing for a seat for an hour or having to pay extra for assigned seating which everyone else does anyway. Why do they just not do assigned seating? People get on the plane quicker so surely it's better for business no???

Economy is bad enough without the Ryanair experience.

Oh and last thing. Hire some nice polite air hostess.

EDIT: I just got an email from Ryainair saying they are doing assigned seating now so finally, that's great news. Hopefully their air host staff are treated nicer by upper management. I believe what happens in Ryanair is the management don't really have any respect for their air host staff or their customers and that mentality is then passed on by the air host staff. For the majority of the time the staff are perfectly fine don't get me wrong, it's just the only times I've ever witnessed a rude or bitchy air host was with Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Jhcx wrote: »
    So you are going to be able to choose your seat at no extra cost?

No- if you want to choose your seat its 5 euro (10 euro for emergency rows). Otherwise they just give you a seat number of their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

No- if you want to choose your seat its 5 euro (10 euro for emergency rows). Otherwise they just give you a seat number of their choice.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'm still waiting for one of the other people I know who've had as much trouble with FR as I have to use them again and report back well.

can you outline what problems youve had with Ryanair? ive flown with them 300+ times at this stage and never had a problem with them in any shape or form.

about 10 of those flights maximum landed after the specified time. when i hear people saying they have problems with them, it baffles me as their rules are very clear, very easy and very straightforward.

im worried now however that all these new rules from them will attract alot of idiots who will get away with s*it that would not have been tolerated a few months back, delaying flights, cuasing hassle etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

can you outline what problems youve had with Ryanair? ive flown with them 300+ times at this stage and never had a problem with them in any shape or form.

about 10 of those flights maximum landed after the specified time. when i hear people saying they have problems with them, it baffles me as their rules are very clear, very easy and very straightforward.

im worried now however that all these new rules from them will attract alot of idiots who will get away with s*it that would not have been tolerated a few months back, delaying flights, cuasing hassle etc etc.
    So very true. One of the main things to put me off EI is when you bring on your carry on bag and find dopaes who have brought 2-3 bags on, and filled the overhead bins, or the thick who has sat in the bar because he has an allocated seat and knows the plane wont leave without him if he is a bit late. Arseholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

What trouble did you have exactly?

Problems I've encountered were:

1/ Flight delayed a good few hours so I missed a train connection in Europe and had to hire a car. Not ideal but I got over it.

2/ Flight delayed a few winters ago during the severe winter, we were sitting on the plane then turfed off, had to wait 4 hours or so. Not ideal but the weather was the real fault.

Other than that never had any major problem, a few delays here and there, once you know the system things usually work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

or the thick who has sat in the bar because he has an allocated seat and knows the plane wont leave without him if he is a bit late. Arseholes

Thats a dangerous game to play. In the past my company were known for waiting for that last passenger. Now if your not at the gate 10 mins before departure, you can stay at the bar you're offloaded. We'll be gone, we have other fare paying pax who made the effort. As much as you think, we're not a feckin bus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

relaxed wrote: »
    What trouble did you have exactly?

I've gone through it before on here, will look for the post. Everything from safety issues being ignored on their 737-200s (yes, I realise that's going back a long time but its been a long time since I've been willing to fly on them) through to flights being 'rescheduled' by cancelling existing tickets and increasing prices due to an unexpected hike in demand.

I've gone through it before on here, will look for the post. Everything from safety issues being ignored on their 737-200s (yes, I realise that's going back a long time but its been a long time since I've been willing to fly on them) through to flights being 'rescheduled' by cancelling existing tickets and increasing prices due to an unexpected hike in demand.

What was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Idiots are idiots it doesn't matter if they are queuing for a Ryanair, Aer Lingus or Ethiad flight. I can still sit at the bar till the last minute flying FR regardless of an assigned seat or not once I'd have checked in I'd be guaranteed a seat and have to be offloaded on either airline if I didn't show up. Re-read your post above.. Consumers will choose whatever airline suits them best... I think people with an attitude like yours are solely concerned about price and the ability to fly not about the customer experience. A lot of the FR sheep are nervous about the changes as above because they think it will drive prices up. The same FR sheep are evening cursing MOL for his new stance. He has recognised that there are many families who because of the inflexible FR attitude or 'rules' :rolleyes: choose to spend their money elsewhere. He also knows that there is a significant amount of business people who will spend their money elsewhere. He knows that people like me will happily pay 20 euros or whatever extra to avoid Ryanair. This is why he is reacting.

Referring to people as idiots and making statements that their '**** would not be tolerated' ? Wtf it's not borstal it is a company who should be providing a consumer friendly service... You will find under the new FR there won't be hassle just a more consumer friendly experience hopefully and well done to MOL for finally seeing the light

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Same here Strumms I'd much rather pay a little bit extra (as long as it's not a massive whack extra) to avoid Ryanair. There's far too many things about flying with them that annoy the ****e out of me. Especially if you fly often you really really start to notice the difference between flying Ryanair and any other normal airline. In Ryanair they're constantly trying to sell you something, you don't get a tea or a biscuit for nothing. The intercom is constantly going, the leg space is smaller (I'm tall so it's a big issue for me) and the staff aren't as friendly.

If Ryanair are reacting and trying to make themselves appear more like the other normal airlines and are still going to offer the same cheap ass prices, I can definitely see a lot of other airlines worrying themselves Strumms you're dead right.

Can't believe it's taken Micheal O'Leary this long to cotton on though.

Not having assigned seating is the worst because people feel the need to queue about 30 mins before boarding. Then if the plane is delayed for 30 minutes, everyone is standing around queuing for a whole hour for no good reason. The staff then patrol up and down the mile long queue looking for people that are so much as holding anything in their hands that isn't in their single piece of carry on luggage "Sir you can't bring that on the plane, you'll need to put it in your bag or leave it behind" It's just a small bag with a blind fold and some earplugs in it so I can drown out the horror of the experience the lays before me I say. "It doesn't matter sorry, you'll have to put it in your carry on luggage" Alright I say I'll put it in my luggage but I'll only take it out when I get on the plane anyway.

According to Mythbusters the 'No Assigned Seating Method' is actually the Fastest boarding method. However it gives a very negative customer feedback score.

The 'WILMA Assigned Seating Method' which is business boarded first, followed by all window seats, then all middle seats, then all aisle seats, scores massively higher on the customer satisfaction level and takes only and extra 40 seconds to fill the plane. Funnily though I've never boarded a plane with this method even though it's clearly the best one tested. Check out the results for yourself below.

http://mythbustersresults.com/airplane-boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Have to say I'm happy with Ryanair when I do fly on the odd occasion. As you said Sticky, the Intercom does my nut in. Majority of the time I can't even make out what the CC are saying. Normally down to the Irish crew not speaking clearly or the foreigners who can't speak dam all English. Actually it's more down to the foreigners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Not having assigned seating is the worst because people feel the need to queue about 30 mins before boarding.
    Aer Lingus have assigned seating but their pax still start queuing long before the flight is ready to board. When boarding does commence by rows those who have remained seated now have their passageway to the desk blocked because those already queuing won't get out of the way or are very reluctant to. What we have we hold. This is particularly noticeable at LHR. I've seen this happen with BA at DUB as well. I expect it to continue to happen to FR even when allocated seating starts because some people are just plain thick when it comes to flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fr336 wrote: »
    What was this?

Seats with faulty recline mechanisms, e.g. they would fall back if any pressure put on them at all and hence could not be locked in place for takeoff/landing. Plane was full so no ability to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Seats with faulty recline mechanisms, e.g. they would fall back if any pressure put on them at all and hence could not be locked in place for takeoff/landing. Plane was full so no ability to move.

Ah the 737-200, the most robust aircraft ever built, you could batter that thing around and she'd still fly like a dream

Wow.

billie1b wrote: »
    Ah the 737-200, the most robust aircraft ever built, you could batter that thing around and she'd still fly like a dream

The landings were quite something :D

The landings were quite something :D

Best aircraft to fly on, reverse thrusters on them were the best, loved the growl out of them, I miss the 200's

Best aircraft to fly on, reverse thrusters on them were the best, loved the growl out of them, I miss the 200's

Definitely preferred the engine noise there - recognised the difference the first time I was on an 800

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Wow.

and the wing had some bird poo on it....BIRD POO.....

Not seeing the funny side here tbh :o:p

An aircraft which is unable to comply with IAA regulations yet continued to fly despite the matter being brought to the attention of staff by multiple passengers isn't a laughing matter.

By the time I found out that the IAA would have been interested it was significantly too late to report it, unfortunately.

An aircraft which is unable to comply with IAA regulations yet continued to fly despite the matter being brought to the attention of staff by multiple passengers isn't a laughing matter.

By the time I found out that the IAA would have been interested it was significantly too late to report it, unfortunately.

A broken seat recliner on an aircraft is not a big enough safety issue to ground an aircraft, in the event of an emergency the seat is made to be thrown forward. If the cabin crew couldn't accommodate you with a new seat as it was a full flight you just have to stick with it and put a complaint with the airline

• Advertisement

A broken seat recliner on an aircraft is not a big enough safety issue to ground an aircraft, in the event of an emergency the seat is made to be thrown forward. If the cabin crew couldn't accommodate you with a new seat as it was a full flight you just have to stick with it and put a complaint with the airline

If you actually sat down at all, rather than perched bolt upright, you ended up in the passenger behind you's lap. That is a safety issue.

As goes complaining to 2005-era FR - like that would have achieved anything at all.

Advertisement