Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Irish Gigs (rumours & confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think Ed Sheeran said that he is playing Belfast this year. Can probably put him down for a Dublin date too at some stage. Croker?

Hope KOL take one of the Marlay Park slots.

Can see KOL playing here for sure this year. Would love if they played 3Arena but I would say it will be an outdoor gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭eldest200

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Can see KOL playing here for sure this year. Would love if they played 3Arena but I would say it will be an outdoor gig.

If they play at V festival there's a good chance they'll at t vital

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Does anyone know if a 2nd U2 show is going to happen? It would be quite unusual for MCD to do all the gigs in Croke Park in one year, in recent years they have always been split between MCD and Aiken

2014 3x One Direction (MCD) and 5x Garth Brooks (Aiken)
    2015 1 x The Script (MCD) and 2x Ed Sheeran (Aiken)
    2016 1x Beyonce (MCD) and 2x Bruce Springsteen (Aiken)
    2017 1x Coldplay (MCD) and 1x U2 (MCD)

Could there be an unannounced Aiken gig in Croke Park or will U2 take the last available concert spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Does anyone know if a 2nd U2 show is going to happen? It would be quite unusual for MCD to do all the gigs in Croke Park in one year, in recent years they have always been split between MCD and Aiken

I'd assume u2 second date is inevitable. I've heard that it is. And that rolling Stones are there on 16th June. Don't believe the second bit anyway myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mushy wrote: »
    I'd assume u2 second date is inevitable. I've heard that it is. And that rolling Stones are there on 16th June. Don't believe the second bit anyway myself.

That Rolling Stones thing better not be true as I'm in London for Guns N Roses that day and I'd love to see the Stones

There's no Matches on the weekend of 15/16/17 June there so it might be possible. The weekends in May are free but it's GAA all weekends after the U2 Show

• Advertisement

Depends, leinster semis are that weekend. Whether they use CP is another thing!

Doubt we will see a Leinster hurling semi final in CP

The 2x Leinster football semi finals take place on Sunday 25 June in CP

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Will be interesting to see if anything materialises re Pairc Ui Chaoimh in next few weeks - they are v hopeful it will be complete in June and while rumours were shot down last Summer re Adele/Garth Brooks I am sure they were not going to let anything out of the bag at that stage and seems bit bizarre for the mayor in Cork to come out with those rumours out of the blue! Who knows! I am sure promoters will let the coffers be emptied for U2 next week and then the end of January salaries will be the next target :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

No way the rolling stones are there on the 16th of June. There's no way there will be any more gigs after U2. The only available time they can have gigs is in June. It'll be the fourth gig sold, so it will be subject to license, and with the new concert licensing laws means the promotors would have to have their application into the council 13 weeks in advance (previously it was 10 weeks), so before st Patrick's day. It doesn't leave alot of time to prepare for the license application itself, which can only really happen after tickets go on sale.

PTH2009 wrote: »

First football semi is on the 17/18 June according to gaa website.

• Advertisement

The Raptor wrote: »

No way the rolling stones are there on the 16th of June. There's no way there will be any more gigs after U2. The only available time they can have gigs is in June. It'll be the fourth gig sold, so it will be subject to license, and with the new concert licensing laws means the promotors would have to have their application into the council 13 weeks in advance (previously it was 10 weeks), so before st Patrick's day. It doesn't leave alot of time to prepare for the license application itself, which can only really happen after tickets go on sale.

One of the reasons which makes me not believe the Stones rumour.

All of May is free in Croke Park and Bruce Springsteen was only announced on the 4th Feb last year and those gigs took place the 27/28 May 2016 but with a heavily rumoured second U2 date set to take place its highly doubtful there will be a 4th Croke Park concert

I have a weird feeling Garth Brooks will surprise the lot of us and play a few shows in the 3arena and SSE Arena Belfast in the summer or autumn (no fear of shows being called off). If there was to be a Garth Brooks grand tour playing stadiums around Ireland for next summer its needs to be announced by the middle of Feb at least

in fairness were spolit for choice for gigs here in 2017 all ready :):)

All of May is free in Croke Park and Bruce Springsteen was only announced on the 4th Feb last year and those gigs took place the 27/28 May 2016 but with a heavily rumoured second U2 date set to take place its highly doubtful there will be a 4th Croke Park concert

I have a weird feeling Garth Brooks will surprise the lot of us and play a few shows in the 3arena and SSE Arena Belfast in the summer or autumn (no fear of shows being called off). If there was to be a Garth Brooks grand tour playing stadiums around Ireland for next summer its needs to be announced by the middle of Feb at least

in fairness were spolit for choice for gigs here in 2017 all ready :):)

I have the exact same feeling!! :cool:

I thought the promotors don't have the strict licensing laws to follow for the first three gigs in Croke Park. They do have to have an event management plan, but they don't have to apply for the license in Croke Park. I hope I make sense with that. Anything over the 3 and they have to apply for the license, which sounds like a long process with little time if there's any more concerts planned for this year.

Also, if Bruce Springsteen tickets were sold at the beginning of February and he played in May, if they followed the new rules, it means that the promotors got their application in at the end of February. We were always led to believe that concerts were alot of work, and to have all that work done in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I thought the promotors don't have the strict licensing laws to follow for the first three gigs in Croke Park. They do have to have an event management plan, but they don't have to apply for the license in Croke Park. I hope I make sense with that. Anything over the 3 and they have to apply for the license, which sounds like a long process with little time if there's any more concerts planned for this year.

Also, if Bruce Springsteen tickets were sold at the beginning of February and he played in May, if they followed the new rules, it means that the promotors got their application in at the end of February. We were always led to believe that concerts were alot of work, and to have all that work done in 3 weeks.

no, every single large outdoor event, including all Croke Park concerts need a licence. IIRC all public events with more than 5000 people need a specific licence.
    the "3 non-sport events a year" thing is a 2009 deal between the GAA/Croke Park, and the residents. it has little to do with licencing.

also, there are teams of staff who work on licence applications, and it's not like they only start doing them once the concert is announced, MCD/Aiken will be working off a template they've done for multiple gigs over the years, and just need to fill in various fine details, which they can have done well before the concert is even announced.

no, every single large outdoor event, including all Croke Park concerts need a licence. IIRC all public events with more than 5000 people need a specific licence.
    the "3 non-sport events a year" thing is a 2009 deal between the GAA/Croke Park, and the residents. it has little to do with licencing.

also, there are teams of staff who work on licence applications, and it's not like they only start doing them once the concert is announced, MCD/Aiken will be working off a template they've done for multiple gigs over the years, and just need to fill in various fine details, which they can have done well before the concert is even announced.

Then how come the first three concerts aren't subject to license? I took a picture from a different website and here's a coldplay ticket which isn't subject to license.

The Garth Brooks tickets had 'subject to license' in the middle of the ticket. So I'm confused with the first three concerts not being subject to license.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

because sometimes they print Subject To Licence on them, and sometimes they don't. the Coldplay ones may have already had the licence granted when that ticket was printed. or maybe they just left it off for space reasons. i've had ones in the past with just "STL" at the end.

I *think* you can submit a licence application without naming the act, just a date, and then ammend it after. IIRC the Marlay Park one from last year just had Longitude, and then 3 other "music events" on the licence application. perhaps the licence for the 3 Croke Park concerts has already been submitted and approved. or perhaps just the one for Coldplay.

e: "2 single stage concerts" - no band names given: http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/oel_01_15_event_licence.pdf

because sometimes they print Subject To Licence on them, and sometimes they don't. the Coldplay ones may have already had the licence granted when that ticket was printed. or maybe they just left it off for space reasons. i've had ones in the past with just "STL" at the end.

I *think* you can submit a licence application without naming the act, just a date, and then ammend it after. IIRC the Marlay Park one from last year just had Longitude, and then 3 other "music events" on the licence application. perhaps the licence for the 3 Croke Park concerts has already been submitted and approved. or perhaps just the one for Coldplay.

e: "2 single stage concerts" - no band names given: http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/oel_01_15_event_licence.pdf

I understand now. But surely they can't just leave it off for space reasons if it is subject to license. So the license has definitely been granted for Coldplay. Thought alot of the work for a license application happens after the tickets go on sale but I guess they just use the maximum capacity as a figure for how much people will be attending.

Just doing a Google search. Beyonce tickets went on sale for Croke Park in February 2016. It doesn't have subject to license on the ticket. But it didn't have the license when tickets went on sale. The application wasn't lodged until 8 weeks after in April. I can only download the document from the Dublin council, so I can't attach the document but I have attached a screenshot.

There must be something with those three concerts that are allowed. They seem to call it a compliance submission.

Is it true that there's no second date for U2.

If the third date goes to somebody else, they can only really play in June. And if a tour of Ireland is planned, these extra cities will be subject to license which is a long enough process. Especially having the application in 13 weeks in advance. Surely we would have to hear something soon if there's a third gig. I'm getting impatient.

• Advertisement

If the third date goes to somebody else, they can only really play in June. And if a tour of Ireland is planned, these extra cities will be subject to license which is a long enough process. Especially having the application in 13 weeks in advance. Surely we would have to hear something soon if there's a third gig. I'm getting impatient.

A concert could happen in May in Croke Park as there's no matches schueuled there for that month

Weekends of June 2/3/4 and 16/17/18 free also

It's GAA central in Croker the weekend after u2 up until October

Strong rumours this morning that it's Ed Sheeran!

Strong rumours this morning that it's Ed Sheeran!

There was news that The Rolling Stones would be playing Croke Park on the 17th June but if there was a third act playing than it would make sense for it to be Ed Sheeran (another guaranteed sell out)

Really hope it's not the rolling stones that weekend as I'll be in London then and I want to see them. Rolling Stones in Croker in May would be OK for me

Yep, it makes sense that it would be anyone but Garth. The rumour was that he was to do a tour of Ireland. I don't really see that happening until later in the year if it does happen. Cork would be subject to license and I think May/June would be pushing it, so I'm not quite so sure about Croke Park at the same time.

They could have easily have sold another night for U2 but it seems as if they are sticking with 3 gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 c773er

We were discussing this in work this morning. Is there any regulations with the Aviva as to how many non-sporting events they can host each year? Would there be anything stopping U2, or even Coldplay, from playing 2 nights at the Aviva? Even though 2 gigs at the Aviva have already been announced?

Basically what we were wondering was would either of the bands be better off playing 2 nights at the Aviva than 1 night at Croker?

I've never been to a gig at Croker but from what I've heard the sound quality is rubbish. I've been to 2 gigs at the Aviva, the Script & Rihanna (2016) and the sound quality was really good for both gigs... Even though Rihanna put on a poor show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Ticketmaster seem to measure demand for concerts on their site, once they go up for sale, and start moving them on to their Seatwave touting wing after 15 minutes of sale, once they measure that demand is particularly high. It's a disgusting practice, that someone needs to take action against

Actually, I really hope it's not Garth Brooks for the third gig. The prices on the other ticket websites after U2 sold out. It's madness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The 1975 are set to announce Irish Tour Dates , Maybe Belsonic and Kilmainham ?

The 1975

// I R E L A N D & N O R T H E R N I R E L A N D - T O U R N E W S S O O N // L O V E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

The 1975

// I R E L A N D & N O R T H E R N I R E L A N D - T O U R N E W S S O O N // L O V E

great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

The 1975

Good shout

Advertisement