Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McQuaid nominated unanimously by Switzerland (read warning post #78)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

If, and it's a big IF, Pat fails here to get the nomination and then gets ruled out in Switzerland - surely with all the globalisation work he's done he'll very easily secure a nomination in Africa/Asia?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vino Veritas

I know of three clubs supporting Pat , ( a lot of negative comments here , but there are probably only a few clubs represented on all of boards)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

joker77 wrote: »
    If, and it's a big IF, Pat fails here to get the nomination and then gets ruled out in Switzerland - surely with all the globalisation work he's done he'll very easily secure a nomination in Africa/Asia?
    He has no options beyond Ireland and possibly Switzerland - only "his" federation can nominate him.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know of three clubs supporting Pat , ( a lot of negative comments here , but there are probably only a few clubs represented on all of boards)
    I know of only one supporting him and at least a dozen that have indicated they oppose his nomination. However I suspect there may be a number of others that have not been prepared to put their heads above the parapet and hence it may still be a close call

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

joker77 wrote: »

If you want to read about Asia this blog from a pro riding over there is enlightening.......

http://crankpunk.com/2013/06/04/the-question-of-doping-in-asia-and-a-conflict-of-interests/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is that three members of the rank and file? ACTIVIST ALERT! ACTIVIST ALERT!

McQuaid writes for Stickybottle

I just want to quote this as it directly refers to me (and others)
    a small group of activists who have been manipulated by commercial interests
    and would like to make it absolutely clear that no-one has manipulated me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Beasty wrote: »

Likewise this is horse****!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ditto

• Advertisement

Just to add one further point - the CI AGM was attended by two of the "activists" referred to as delegates (and another as a Board member) to raise the issue of McQuaid's leadership of the UCI. The original plan was to propose a vote of no confidence in McQuaid, but we were instructed by the Chairman that no resolutions could be put on the issue. Change Cycling Now was not even set up at that time, and to suggest we were acting at the behest of or being manipulated by anyone is factually incorrect. I don't think I had even heard of Jaimie Fuller when we turned up at the AGM.

Since then we have continued our efforts to get the CI membership a say on the issue which culminated in the Board calling the EGM for Saturday. If the membership decide to back his nomination then so be it. I will have done my share in ensuring a democratic process is observed. Clearly I have actively campaigned against the nomination but I have said all along that I will respect whatever decision is taken by the membership on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Has anyone, other than McQuaid himself, said with clarity that he definitely has the Swiss nomination? The cynic in me wonders whether his assurances that he has it (and that it will prove impervious to legal challenge) is one last effort to demoralise the opposition and lower their turnout at the EGM.

rules which prevent athletes convicted of doping from becoming team staff members.

Was this the same McQuaid that commented on the lifetime ban issued by USADA to Luis Garcia del Moral, Michele Ferrari and Jose Pepe Marti by saying:
    “I’ve read what they’ve said but as they’re not licence holders so I don’t know how they can ban them or what they can be banned for”

“From the UCI’s point of view we can’t see how these guys can be sanctioned for life,” said McQuaid. “They are not UCI licence holders, so under what grounds can they be sanctioned?”

He's some piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

"Opinion: Uncertainty and lingering questions mean a new UCI president is needed"

Shane Stokes on Stickybottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

"Cycling has never been a sport that turned a blind eye to the scourge of doping. Quite the contrary; for the past 20 years, the UCI has done everything possible to tackle doping by riders."

is this guy for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

If you feel strongly about this decision and I know a lot of you do. check with your club to see if they are sending their delegates on Saturday. If not you can ask to go as a delegate. you dont need to be an office holder just a member. bring your licence and vote in accordance with your clubs wishes.

Despite what he says to StickyBottle this is important and we are not sure he has the Swiss nomination. We wrote to Cycling Ireland, Swiss board members and the UCI itself looking for confirmation that he was nominated - no confirmation was forthcoming which leads me to believe that he is not nominated.

morana wrote: »
    If you feel strongly about this decision and I know a lot of you do. check with your club to see if they are sending their delegates on Saturday. If not you can ask to go as a delegate. you dont need to be an office holder just a member. bring your licence and vote in accordance with your clubs wishes.

Despite what he says to StickyBottle this is important and we are not sure he has the Swiss nomination. We wrote to Cycling Ireland, Swiss board members and the UCI itself looking for confirmation that he was nominated - no confirmation was forthcoming which leads me to believe that he is not nominated.

The swiss have not confirmed that he is nominated despite numerous requests. This EGM is vital hence the sudden rush of press last night.
    Primetime on RTE tonight is covering it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

I've just had sight of the blurb that Pat McQuaid has sent to the clubs and his aim is clearly to persuade us that his Swiss nomination is a "done deal" and that the CI EGM is just a formaility - the implication being that it's really not worth attending! He really is a "piece of work"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

buffalo wrote: »
    Was this the same McQuaid that commented on the lifetime ban issued by USADA to Luis Garcia del Moral, Michele Ferrari and Jose Pepe Marti by saying:

He's some piece of work.

Ditto Matt White - Orica GreenEdge.

C3PO wrote: »
    I've just had sight of the blurb that Pat McQuaid has sent to the clubs and his aim is clearly to persuade us that his Swiss nomination is a "done deal" and that the CI EGM is just a formaility - the implication being that it's really not worth attending! He really is a "piece of work"!

He has had 2 months to withdraw his request to CI which he could have done if he was so confident about the Swiss position. The fact he has not done so is a clear indication to me of his concerns over the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I think another club supported him last night.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

a small group of activists who have been manipulated by commercial interests

It's this kind of stuff that serves to further convince me he has no place heading up the UCI.

To say that guys like Anto, Conor and Paul are being manipulated by shadowy forces is absolutely ridiculous. I know them all and I know that they started their campaign off their own bat. Their position is long held and they've been lobbying long before this became a global issue.

It's not the first time that I've heard these mutterings about interference by "outsiders" in the debate and I've no idea where it's coming from.

I find it quite disappointing and saddening that he's attempted to smear them in this fashion.

As for "small group", at this stage I'm aware of hundreds of people in Irish cycling who believe he shouldn't get a third term. These guys are just the thin end of the wedge, the ones who got up off their arses and really made their voices heard.

It's not the first time that I've heard these mutterings about interference by "outsiders" in the debate and I've no idea where it's coming from.

I thought that was directed at Lumen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Any odds on the result of Tomorrow's vote?

A couple of quotes from McQuaid's SB article:
    The board of Cycling Ireland is elected by its members and it is only right and proper that due respect and recognition is given to the board’s mandate and responsibility to take decisions in the best interests of the members that it represents
    Let's just revisit what happened at the CI "Board" meeting he is referring to. The President stepped out of the chair precisely because he wished to influence the vote -something he felt unable to do as chairman of the meeting. This drove a coach and horses through CI's governannce procedures and any "decision" reached had absolutely no basis to bind CI. TBH I was absolutely staggered when I heard what had happened at the meeting - it was clear to me as soon as I heard what had happened that any "decision" taken was ultra vires. The Board clearly recognised this when they re-convened and agreed a more appropriate approach was to give the membership a say on the matter
    I respect that 32 of the 330 clubs supported an EGM after an intensive lobbying campaign.
    That total was reached within a couple of days - the "intense lobbying" became superfluous as soon as teh CI Board called teh EGM - he presents it as if less than 10% of the clubs supported the EGM -that is not bthe case - other clubs were due to discuss the request over the weekend and I have no doubt we could have got teh support of many, many more clubs if required

Now if Pat is so convinced about his Swiss position, why is he even bothering writing to the Irish clubs? He clearly still considers the decision on Saturday to be critical to his re-election ambitions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Eamonnator wrote: »

For Pat 2/1
    Against Pat 4/7

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No odds but I'm going to arrange EGM Bingo

First person to cross off these gets a prize (if they shout out!)

Stab in the back
    But sure he's Irish
    Lance Armstrong
    Biopassport
    Vocal activists
    Drugs/doping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Inquitus wrote: »
    For Pat 2/1
    Against Pat 4/7

I would not be so generous. I think that for many folks based in the provinces that they may not have string enough feelings to justify travelling to Dublin.
    I would be very interested to know how many clubs in Kerry, Cork, Connaught, Donegal etc actually send delegates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

RobFowl wrote: »
    No odds but I'm going to arrange EGM Bingo

First person to cross off these gets a prize (if they shout out!)

Stab in the back
    But sure he's Irish
    Lance Armstrong
    Biopassport
    Vocal activists
    Drugs/doping
    Globalization
    He Built The Road
    You can't let a Brit Win

Just added a few more there ..

• Advertisement

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/could-pat-mcquaid-face-a-vote-of-no-confidence-at-uci-management-committee

Pat McQuaid seems like he's going to face a vote of no confidence this afternoon iat the UCI management committee meeting....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement