Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Golf Society - Captains Prize, 19th Sept, 2pm, Fota Island, Deerpark Course

• 28-08-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭

Well it's hard to believe how quick that year has flown by and now here we are at the final event, the Captains Prize, my Captains Prize and a day I am very much looking forward to. The last time I was at Fota Island I was dressed along with my wife and kids like a packet of liquorice allsorts! I have never played the course there, but having stayed in the hotel a few years ago and from walking around the place at the Irish Open last year I know we are in for a special day out.

Fota%20Island%20Golf%20clubhouse_2.JPG

Yet again, with thanks to NRC Taxis, the outing will be subsidised as the previous 2 have been. It will be €45 for members who have played at least 3 of the first 6 events this year & other Members will pay €50, plus of course the €2.00 if you want to enter the 2's club.

Now for the difficult bit. As you all know, outing numbers have been up significantly this year on previous years. As bookings were initially made based on last years numbers it has led to a few hiccups, all of which we managed to overcome so far. We initially booked Fota for 28 players and were given 7 slots on the tee for 1 hour. I have been in touch with Fota to increase the numbers but unfortunately they are booked out for that day. However they do feel we will get 32 out in the time we have been allocated and will also keep in touch if their other bookings change. We might therefore be given some extra spots at some stage between now and the 19th, but we equally may not. So that means 2 things.

Teamer notifications were sent out a few weeks ago now and not everyone has replied as of yet, but we currently have 33 players booked in, so I am asking if there is anyone who is not 100% committed to attending, to let me know. Worst case scenario is that one person who has booked in will not be able to play on the day, a scenario that I have been dreading and really hope does not happen. One person from the 33 and anybody who accepts Teamer messages from here on in will be put on a standby list, and will only get a game on the day if Fota come up with some last minute spots for us.

As they are happy to let 32 out in the time it would normally take 28 to tee off, I am asking everyone to be on their best behaviour and be there well in advance of your tee time and not to delay in teeing off. If we can all get off the first tee nice and quick it should ensure that all 32 players get off in our allotted time.

I can only hope that Fota can come up trumps for us and that this situation does not detract from the day or the year overall.

I'll sign off now and await the backlash :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Screen-Shot-2013-02-26-at-21.57.17.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,423 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Will hopefully be collecting a Green Pennant after Athlone has won the Senior Cup that day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnny_cahill

So what's the deal after golf in fota, we going on a session , do we book our own accommodation or what's the Craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So what's the deal after golf in fota, we going on a session , do we book our own accommodation or what's the Craic

Yes we are going out in Cork. I've been asking for months for whoever wants to stay over so you missed the boat at this stage.

Don't worry I'll get another boat on the river lee
    What hotel are use staying in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only a browser here, but played the course back in May, was in great condition, a great place for an event like this.

It's same day as opening game of rugby world cup too, you might get away with the numbers that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Do you have to wear golf trousers in Fota ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Do you have to wear golf trousers in Fota ?

Ya thinking of playing naked?!!! Just make sure your finished before me dude!!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Ya thinking of playing naked?!!! Just make sure your finished before me dude!!!! :):)

He wants to be sure he can watch you teeing off.
    I'm wondering where you are going to keep your ball marker !!

oK that was too much of an in joke.

Do they have burgers - even a chicken curry ? ;)

Joking aside - is it 4 balls lads.

I guess - you know who you are out with by looking at table - handy you are leading in a way Seve.

Looking forward to all this - as basically working flat out every day at moment.

• Advertisement

So can someone tell me what hotel the majority are staying in please cos according to Steve I missed the boat

So can someone tell me what hotel the majority are staying in please cos according to Steve I missed the boat

River Lee.

Hopefully it's the same place seve said at the start of the year and in every round thread so far!!!!!!!!! Missed the boat, are ya even at the port dude?!!!!!
    Only joking, it's the River Lee. Pm seve as he's getting a deal on the rooms.

Hopefully it's the same place seve said at the start of the year and in every round thread so far!!!!!!!!! Missed the boat, are ya even at the port dude?!!!!!
    Only joking, it's the River Lee. Pm seve as he's getting a deal on the rooms.

Only thing - if you do get a boat , we couldn't be in a better place for you , could also sail to Fota.

Sorry - long day :D

Mayo draw, what the hell was that all about.

Hope for anyone far behind in Jug - never give up.

Will be walking around the wildlife park tomorrow. I'll do a bit of reccy for ye ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Played there for the first time ever in the intermediate scratch cup yesterday and I can genuinely say it's the best & nicest course I ever played. What a treat. Enjoy guys.

Edit: I'd nearly be tempted to make an appearance but I see you're struggling to accommodate everyone as it stands.

That's a great welcome for a newcomer, totally uncalled for and necessary comment.

A newcommer who has been here since 2010 and has played in nearly every society event so far??? Sorry now, but I know this lad for a few years and he will know I was joking. Sorry to spoil your fun.

Cheers Charlie
    Ok Steve, can you please get me on list for hotel booking or can I ring and get discount rate myself
    Thanks

Cheers Charlie
    Ok Steve, can you please get me on list for hotel booking or can I ring and get discount rate myself
    Thanks

OK. you are in, it's €70 pay me at the golf as i will be sorting everything out with the hotel beforehand.

last call for anyone else. i'm confirming numbers with the hotel today

Cheers Steve I'll even throw in some free colour catcher if you want

• Advertisement

Cheers Steve I'll even throw in some free colour catcher if you want

might need it.... things could get messy :D

Lads - I've two Dunlop balls I won - if you want to put them forward as a prize.

Word of warning - Poppy only uses , brand new perfect clean Pro-v1s.

Are the results up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Are the results up yet.

Who won the gross?

Who won the gross?

:p Hard call since Rikand retired. I hear he fell, even more in love and packed in golf.

All joking aside.

Will be hard picks for the captain this year. Not an easy task.

There will be many people who played well - just on outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Not just saying this because you are in society j.

But the flybys are absolutely class.

I think j should lose 3 shots if that is flowing in his head on tee box.

:p Hard call since Rikand retired. I hear he fell, even more in love and packed in golf.

I retired cause ye werent doing grosses anymore ;)

I'll have to come back next year so, lol

• Advertisement

Well just ten days of prep left now guys. Who is wore out with practice? Who feels confident? I'm starting to think of the Team now, doing pairings, maybe even a bit of practice somewhere? Who is in, who is out and who is on the fence ;)

I've no golf this week till Sat and probably wont hit any balls from then till we reach Fota. :(

I hope the Cork lads and lassies have a good nights entertainment planned for us :D

Count me in for a practice round even if I am in or out of the team - at the venue if at all possible!!!

Got all my bad golf out of the way last sunday and loads of practice between now and next weekend, hope the weather is as kind as it has been all year.

Count me in for a practice round even if I am in or out of the team - at the venue if at all possible!!!

Got all my bad golf out of the way last sunday and loads of practice between now and next weekend, hope the weather is as kind as it has been all year.

I bumped into an old school buddy the other day who just happens to be a member there :D

Actually, open comp on there today.... we missed that opportunity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Here we go. I crunched a few numbers and it looks like if I can find a win in Fota and Seve finishes no better that 14th, 3put no better than 6th and RoadRunner no better than 8th then I have a chance. I only had the energy to the math on the top 3.

Outside bet on Tigerwoods. Looks like we'll be playing together again. Previous two outings together he's finished 1st and 6th so you never know.

So what's the plan Seve? All out aggression and go for the win or play cagey and try not throw it away ;)

Here we go. I crunched a few numbers and it looks like if I can find a win in Fota and Seve finishes no better that 14th, 3put no better than 6th and RoadRunner no better than 8th then I have a chance. I only had the energy to the math on the top 3.

Outside bet on Tigerwoods. Looks like we'll be playing together again. Previous two outings together he's finished 1st and 6th so you never know.

So what's the plan Seve? All out aggression and go for the win or play cagey and try not throw it away ;)

I go for everything, especially when things are difficult, then just go harder!

did you say somewhere you weren't available for the Ryder Jug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Seve OB wrote: »
    did you say somewhere you weren't available for the Ryder Jug?

Ya, there's a chance I wont be around. I didn't want to spring it on you at the last minute so thought it was best to rule myself out.

If plans change between now and Fota I might put my hand up for a pick if allowed!

Ya, there's a chance I wont be around. I didn't want to spring it on you at the last minute so thought it was best to rule myself out.

If plans change between now and Fota I might put my hand up for a pick if allowed!

okie dokie, I'll keep you in mind so and won't rule you out just yet :D

kieran. wrote: »
    A bit of fun in case anyone who want so see how things may pan out at Fota !!!
    Attachment not found.

You should maybe change it to just usernames ?

kieran. wrote: »
    A bit of fun in case anyone who want so see how things may pan out at Fota !!!
    Attachment not found.

Glad to see I am not the only nerd (I think you made a mistake on Fixes), here is my version but this shows the best and worst scores possible for all the top 10.

So for me if i win i need these guys to be no better than

Seve 12th, 3Putt 6th, Roadrunner 6th, Keano 4th, Charlie 4th, Fix 2nd, DoubleCross can’t catch me if i win, Tigerwood1 2nd.

Its all to play for but if you cannot get to 637 by winning you can't win GOTY as that is the worst case scenario for Seve even if he doesn’t turn up.

I see an error on roadrunners but I am sure you can do the math

J

The reps have no chance with lads this driven about their golf but still just sitting at a computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

That's cool. There was a minor error in mine I fixed locally. Interesting to see that while 3putt is ahead of both me and keano, he will have to throw away a good next-best score to be able to improve his total in fota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Unlikely I'll be able to get a game in before Fota sadly, but can't wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Think I need a top 3 finish at least and seve to finish a fair few places behind. Need to get out and get a bit of practice in as the last 3 rounds I've had over the last couple of weeks have been terrible. Still over a week to go tho and really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Glad to see I am not the only nerd (I think you made a mistake on Fixes), here is my version but this shows the best and worst scores possible for all the top 10.

So for me if i win i need these guys to be no better than

Seve 12th, 3Putt 6th, Roadrunner 6th, Keano 4th, Charlie 4th, Fix 2nd, DoubleCross can’t catch me if i win, Tigerwood1 2nd.

Its all to play for but if you cannot get to 637 by winning you can't win GOTY as that is the worst case scenario for Seve even if he doesn’t turn up.

I see an error on roadrunners but I am sure you can do the math

J

It's well for you lads working out permutations about winning, the rest of us have enough to do just to qualify for the team! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ballyk wrote: »
    It's well for you lads working out permutations about winning, the rest of us have enough to do just to qualify for the team! :)

Yep, pretty sure I need to win just to scrape the top 10.

Did I mention what a fantastic golfer, generous, intelligent & handsome captain you are Seve ;)

I'm practicing very hard - as have my own society wrap up this weekend.

Not paying off yet - but trying to peak like a Tour De France cyclist - Blood test may be needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Kieran I deleted it for now as I'm not sure everyone wants people knowing their real names.

As for winning I've done nothing in weeks so expect very little

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

desperate times call for desperate measures! my putting has been woeful over the last couple of weeks, so I'm hoping between this new purchase on adverts and some practice between now and next week and I'll be able shoot a good score and make it into the top 10 :)

I'm practicing very hard - as have my own society wrap up this weekend.

Not paying off yet - but trying to peak like a Tour De France cyclist - Blood test transfusion may be needed.

FYP
    :D

3putt wrote: »
    Think I need a top 3 finish at least and seve to finish a fair few places behind. Need to get out and get a bit of practice in as the last 3 rounds I've had over the last couple of weeks have been terrible. Still over a week to go tho and really looking forward to it.

3rd will give you 695 points, 6th or worse for Seve will see you pip him. If you do finish 3rd and Seve finshes 6th RRunner and Keano can take you with a second place or Charlie with a win.

J

• Advertisement
Advertisement