Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Somebody told me yesterday that Kerry have copied Donegal and taken their players off for the week to a training camp. Can anyone confirm/deny this rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

keane2097 wrote: »
    James is a lot faster than the three marquee inside forwards Donegal have met this season. Wouldn't think Neil McGee near as tough a match up for him as Higgins was, although McGee will have much better support.

In fairness, forwards rarely get more than three scores from play in All Ireland finals anyway, I would think if James got three points from play in what will be a low scoring game it's a bit harsh to say he didn't get much change out of a supposedly impregnable defence.

He will be a 'harsh' environment next Sunday. imho. Great player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Somebody told me yesterday that Kerry have copied Donegal and taken their players off for the week to a training camp. Can anyone confirm/deny this rumour?

Your source is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

wackokid wrote: »
    Say 2 or 3 points..............he won't get near the square imho. These defenders are miles ahead of anything J.O.D. has met so far but their style of defending in pairs/threes makes the life of any forward hell. Bernard Brogan and O Gara cases in point unless of course Mr Kinsella allows him to abuse the steps rule. Can't see it happening for him on Sunday, but he will will P.O.T.Y. I think.

I would be of the opinion that Keith Higgins is better than any Donegal back. As a unit they will prove tougher for O Donoghue but I still see a good individual tally on the way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Rookster wrote: »
    The Media are bombarding the people with how unbeatable Donegal are. Joe Brolly is almost Orgasmic about how unbeatable they are on the SG. Jim McGuinness is giving interviews spanning hours describing how their system cannot be beaten.

Meanwhile in the Kingdom you could hear a pin drop with the deathly silence. Roll on Sunday!!!!!!

If you're a troll then that's fine but if not I worry for your mental state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

O'Donoghues first all ireland aswell. That cant be understated and he is probably the key kerry forward.

Cant wait to see this much vaunted donegal back line do their worst against donaghy and o'donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

munster87 wrote: »
    I would be of the opinion that Keith Higgins is better than any Donegal back. As a unit they will prove tougher for O Donoghue but I still see a good individual tally on the way again.

the problem is that Donegal have 13 defenders. they wont allow 1 on 1 suituations to develop, or 2 on 2. i would expect it would be 2 v 4 at least if Donaghy and O'Donoghue are in there.

its going to be a right scrappy game. somehow we need to drag Donegal out. playing them at their own game is highely likely.

my issue is i dont think our half forward line is good enough to pick off long range scores and i hope M Geany is not in the team - should be O'brien or even Declan/Sheehan IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

keane2097 wrote: »
    James is a lot faster than the three marquee inside forwards Donegal have met this season.

For parts of the game where Donegal play with twelve or thirteen in their own half there will simply be no space to put a ball into. So O'Donoghue won't be sprinting towards anything. The ball will have to come accurately to him or he will feed off Donaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Yeah they're at a warm weather training camp..........down in Killarney. It's beautiful this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

is Gooch actually training normally now or still on his own like Fitzmaurice said?

will be interesting to see if he gets togged out again the next day, i dont think he will get into the program/match day 26, but perhaps get the 28 like the last day and still be heavily involved on the bench.

He'll join in the warm up again. Doubt he's back in full training. He's still has a big part to play. Great voice and go to lad on final day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Say 2 or 3 points..............he won't get near the square imho. These defenders are miles ahead of anything J.O.D. has met so far but their style of defending in pairs/threes makes the life of any forward hell. Bernard Brogan and O Gara cases in point unless of course Mr Kinsella allows him to abuse the steps rule. Can't see it happening for him on Sunday, but he will will P.O.T.Y. I think.

I can put my life on it JOD scores at least 5 points Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

We hear that the elder McHugh brother is now back on the Donegal panel.
    I can see the situation where the Gooch and McHugh enter the fray with 15 minutes left?
    Both counties are denying this but I don't buy it. Two of the best footballers we have ever seen
    sitting in the stands?
    NOT A HOPE
    Yes-two of the best footballers we ve ever seen will be sitting in the stand- Jack O Shea and Peter Canavan.

Gocch will be sittin with the Kerry subs, but wont play and Mark McHugh is a long way from being among the best we ve seen. Hes an average player that Jim McGuinness turned into a very effective sweeper/linkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

the problem is that Donegal have 13 defenders. they wont allow 1 on 1 suituations to develop, or 2 on 2. i would expect it would be 2 v 4 at least if Donaghy and O'Donoghue are in there.

its going to be a right scrappy game. somehow we need to drag Donegal out. playing them at their own game is highely likely.

my issue is i dont think our half forward line is good enough to pick off long range scores and i hope M Geany is not in the team - should be O'brien or even Declan/Sheehan IMO.

Yeah M Geaney won't be kicking too many long range scores or Donncha Walsh. I think we will be winning alot more frees around the 45 in comparison to the last two matches and not having sheehans accuracy from placed balls could be a problem. Don't know what his fitness is like now. Declan can be a good man to have shooting from distance from play but can have his off days too. David Morans point kicking against mayo was promising but otherwise I would be trying to work around the defence another way. What way that is is the question! The ball into donaghy against mayo was brilliant in fairness but at the same time the effort made by cafferky was very feeble, McGee will be tearing into him. If he can manage to break ball successfully to James or Paul geaney it would be great. But we know there will be 10 Donegal men under every breaking ball at least. I don't envy Eamon Fitzmaurice this week!

harpsman wrote: »
    Yes-two of the best footballers we ve ever seen will be sitting in the stand- Jack O Shea and Peter Canavan.

Gocch will be sittin with the Kerry subs, but wont play and Mark McHugh is a long way from being among the best we ve seen. Hes an average player that Jim McGuinness turned into a very effective sweeper/linkman.

I bow to your superior knowledge..............know all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We hear that the elder McHugh brother is now back on the Donegal panel.
    I can see the situation where the Gooch and McHugh enter the fray with 15 minutes left?
    Both counties are denying this but I don't buy it. Two of the best footballers we have ever seen
    sitting in the stands?
    NOT A HOPE

Mark already said before the SF on RTÉ that he's not going to be back this year. He'll be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

I bow to your superior knowledge..............know all lol
    My sarcasm detector is going mad here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

The ref will have to check how many players Donegal will field the next day because Joe Brolly has almost all the Kerry forwards being double-marked.

Rookster wrote: »
    The ref will have to check how many players Donegal will field the next day because Joe Brolly has almost all the Kerry forwards being double-marked.

6 into 12 = 2...........that leaves McFadden and A.N.Other free up front........lol

3 days before the final and the thread is on the second page with no post in 24 hours....what on earth is going on?:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

3 days before the final and the thread is on the second page with no post in 24 hours....what on earth is going on?:eek::eek::eek:

The long grass must be packed out.

Strange alright. The Tipp/Kilkenny threads are overloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

PANIC ?.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I suspect the fact that there wouldn't be any enmity between the two sides keeps the number of posts down. I remember the issue of Connolly's red card prompting a serious wedge of posts in 2011, I think we're better off this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

The only "controversy" relating to this game is how similar the team jerseys are. No animosity between the teams or fans, everyone looking forward to the game, not a whole lot to be said beforehand, plenty to be discussed during and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

robbiezero wrote: »
    The long grass must be packed out.

Strange alright. The Tipp/Kilkenny threads are overloaded.

That thread really exploded post-match though. I remember thinking that the thread was relatively quiet in the run up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

All the prematch stuff tends to be confined to the county threads (there's a relative feeling of safety there) - post match and it's everywhere :D

Nice to see no enmity between Kerry and Donegal .. how longs that gonna last ! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Looking forward to this match. Can sit back and enjoy the football without being too bothered who wins. although will lean more to Donegal. The semis rescued what's been a boring enough championship so hoping its a final to remember.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    All the prematch stuff tends to be confined to the county threads (there's a relative feeling of safety there) - post match and it's everywhere :D

Nice to see no enmity between Kerry and Donegal .. how longs that gonna last ! lol

there wouldnt be many donegal people posting on here to be fair and kerry people while theres more than Donegal, are not exactly taking over the place either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

the broadband in both Donegal and Kerry is 3rd world, that might be the reason...

Or people are too busy trying to get there hands on tickets at this stage.

But just to get things going, it should be a easy win for us... Donegal in both Minors and the Senior game.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Ollieboy wrote: »
    the broadband in both Donegal and Kerry is 3rd world, that might be the reason...

Or people are too busy trying to get there hands on tickets at this stage.

But just to get things going, it should be a easy win for us... Donegal in both Minors and the Senior game.

There may be something in that, 90% of the Donegal posters on our county thread appear to live in the Dublin area.

Hard to know with the minors, if haven't really played well for the full 60 minutes yet but we seem to up our game whenever required. Hopefully Mulligan and McBrearty will keep up their form and hopefully Lorcan Connor can show what he's capable of.

I'd be fairly confident of the senior match. I think we should be able to get a goal or two while keeping Kerry out so that should be the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

There may be something in that, 90% of the Donegal posters on our county thread appear to live in the Dublin area.

Hard to know with the minors, if haven't really played well for the full 60 minutes yet but we seem to up our game whenever required. Hopefully Mulligan and McBrearty will keep up their form and hopefully Lorcan Connor can show what he's capable of.

I'd be fairly confident of the senior match. I think we should be able to get a goal or two while keeping Kerry out so that should be the difference.

I believe the minor team haven't being beaten in 3 years as a group, winning under 16th Ulster League and Championship etc. When I saw them play in the Ulster Final I felt they were to big and strong for most other Minor teams (they could have won that game by double scores as it was over at 1/2 time). But Kerry Minors look very strong too. I spoke to Declan after the semi and he was very confident in his team so I'm hopeful for a treble this weekend after Donegal won the lotto last night. I've sure the winners will be at Croke Park this weekend of the lotto.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement