Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Donaghy won poty before based on his performance in 2.5 games where he was thrown into the mix to shake up the opposition.

He was my and many others MOTM in the semifinal. If he was MOTM in the final then you'd have to reckon anyone who's MOTM in the semi and final has a decent chance of foty.

He played 2 minutes versus Clare and had a nightmare - I think it was 3 balls kicked into him and he dropped/fumbled all three.

He played 6 minutes against Cork and did nothing of note.

Against Galway he didnt get off the bench.

He got 10 minutes in the first game and undoubtedly had an impact.

In the replay he had a massive influence but was undoubtedly helped by the fact that Mayo left Cafferkey on him for so long.

He didnt feature in the league.

By comparision JOD has scored 4-24 in 4 championship games with only 2-4 of that from deadballs, in addition to 5-24 in the league with only 8 points from deadballs. 9-48 in 11 games with 2-12 from deadballs - if that's not POTY form I don't know what is.

That's before the fact that at the moment I don't expect Donaghy to start the final as from a tactical point of view it makes little to no sense. - He's not going to get anywhere near the same sort of space and you can be sure if he does play there is no way Donegal won't have a proper plan to handle him.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Any word on Cooper , surely he wouldnt be too far away from been fit , very little talk of him

Not a hope of Cooper been involved he's still a few weeks away.

Any word on Cooper , surely he wouldnt be too far away from been fit , very little talk of him

Lots of "if only" talk - if only he had a few extra months, if only he'd been injured earlier in the year etc , no serious talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Who? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Who? ;-)
    That handy ginger lad :pac:

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    That handy ginger lad :pac:

Yerra shure he's only a two-trick pony I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Donaghy has no chance of being POTY.

It will (or should) be J'OD. Irrespective of the result next week. He has been far an away the standout player of the championship.There are no Donegal players who can come into that category even if they have a perfect game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

All the talk down here is that Gooch will be fit for the replay:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

BPKS wrote: »
    All the talk down here is that Gooch will be fit for the replay:D

is Gooch actually training normally now or still on his own like Fitzmaurice said?

will be interesting to see if he gets togged out again the next day, i dont think he will get into the program/match day 26, but perhaps get the 28 like the last day and still be heavily involved on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Anyone know the colour of the jerseys for each side? Word was that that both sides are using their traditional rigs. donegal-jersey-2014-3_1_5.jpg

kerry-home-jersey-2012back_2_3.jpg
    Might this not be a bit of a clash?

• Advertisement

is Gooch actually training normally now or still on his own like Fitzmaurice said?

will be interesting to see if he gets togged out again the next day, i dont think he will get into the program/match day 26, but perhaps get the 28 like the last day and still be heavily involved on the bench.

He's only been able to train on his own, that was the reason that he only scored 1-5 in the game at Fota Island last weekend.

AFIK Gooch has done no contact work yet. One assumes he is sticking to a fairly rigid rehab programme. Last thing we need is another David Moran type scenario. For example he also didnt do the squat jumps the rest of the lads were doing in the warmup in Limerick. He'll do straight line running, kicking and so on. He's also on hand to offer plenty of advice to the forwards, and even a few backs;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

T0001 wrote: »
    TG4 are showing the Minor Final exclusively. RTE will most likely have umteen dozen pundits sitting all over Croker to tlak to to fill the 3 hours, along with videos of both Donegal and Kerry players and managers talking, accompanied by poorly edite montages of last years finals, the last time both counties won All-Irelands and the last time the counties met. Then, we will be treated to the thoughts of Colm O'Rourke, Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly as they join Michael Leister in Studio!

That should be fairly balanced commentary, so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

He's only been able to train on his own, that was the reason that he only scored 1-5 in the game at Fota Island last weekend.

AFIK Gooch has done no contact work yet. One assumes he is sticking to a fairly rigid rehab programme. Last thing we need is another David Moran type scenario. For example he also didnt do the squat jumps the rest of the lads were doing in the warmup in Limerick. He'll do straight line running, kicking and so on. He's also on hand to offer plenty of advice to the forwards, and even a few backs;)

As a Donegal man I don't want the Gooch togging for obvious reasons! For football reason though I'd hate to see himback on Sunday only to end up going down injured again like Shefflin that time.

Obviously the major difference is that time might be on Gooch's side where as with Shefflin that time it was a farce that they played him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Heart says Kerry, head says Donegal. If Donegal get 4-5 ahead again like the Dublin game its theirs. They will be very hard to beat.
    I'd say a lot could depend on Donaghy. He brought them back into the 1st semi and won them the second. If Donaghy/MOD click Kerry will get goals.

Overall going for Donegal by 2-3

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

We hear that the elder McHugh brother is now back on the Donegal panel.
    I can see the situation where the Gooch and McHugh enter the fray with 15 minutes left?
    Both counties are denying this but I don't buy it. Two of the best footballers we have ever seen
    sitting in the stands?
    NOT A HOPE

this cannot be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

Cooper with certainty will play no part..... Can run straight lines but it's the twisting and kicking that create the problems....cooper is being named in the panel as a testament of his work with the panel while injured. You can buy that experience in a panel. Mchugh playing would go against everything jim mc has been building for the last 4 years. Really good player but can see him risk unbalancing the team ethos by this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

#cant buy that experience

this cannot be true.

No thats BS.

It was only 1-4 he scored and one of the points was a 13m free:D

No thats BS.

It was only 1-4 he scored and one of the points was a 13m free:D

i suspect its a chinese whisper. he probably took part for 10 minutes in an a v b game and thats it.

however, if you have a decent source, then please PM me.

IF and i say IF he did score 1-4 off i assume a first choice corner back such as enright or marc, then id either worry about their form going into the game or be confident that Gooch would be ready to spring off the bench in the last 10 minutes.

i sill believe its BS tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

The Media are bombarding the people with how unbeatable Donegal are. Joe Brolly is almost Orgasmic about how unbeatable they are on the SG. Jim McGuinness is giving interviews spanning hours describing how their system cannot be beaten.

Meanwhile in the Kingdom you could hear a pin drop with the deathly silence. Roll on Sunday!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Rookster wrote: »
    The Media are bombarding the people with how unbeatable Donegal are. Joe Brolly is almost Orgasmic about how unbeatable they are on the SG. Jim McGuinness is giving interviews spanning hours describing how their system cannot be beaten.

Meanwhile in the Kingdom you could hear a pin drop with the deathly silence. Roll on Sunday!!!!!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/after-two-injuries-kieran-donaghy-now-a-star-reborn-30589173.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/outsider-cian-oneill-feels-at-home-in-the-kingdom-30586550.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kerry-go-outside-kingdom-for-game-changing-facilitator-1.1929898

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

should be a cracking game. I've backed Kerry at 7/2 for HT/FT. I think there might be some value there.

Other than that, Kerry wont be as naive as Dublin defensively, but then they cant kick the sort of points that Dublin can either.

I think Donegal are right to be installed as favourites with the bookies.

As with most sports, the defense normally ends up on top, this might be no different. Heart says Kerry, head says Donegal.

should be a cracking game. I've backed Kerry at 7/2 for HT/FT. I think there might be some value there.

Other than that, Kerry wont be as naive as Dublin defensively, but then they cant kick the sort of points that Dublin can either.

I think Donegal are right to be installed as favourites with the bookies.

As with most sports, the defense normally ends up on top, this might be no different. Heart says Kerry, head says Donegal.

Bit of a contradiction there Johnny. You think there might be some value in backing Kerry @ 7/2 for HT/FT and your head tells you Donegal will win? Me no understand that.
    I note an ex county footballer in one of today's papers saying..........Kerry will ave to come up with a master plan if they are to beat Donegal.
    Those are my thoughts as well, as I can't see Kerry competing physically with Donegal in enough positions through the field. Gooch might be part of this master plan but others here wiser than me say that's a 'no go area'. Donaghy won't get any change out of Mrs McGee's two sons and neither will O Donoghue out of Paddy McGrath and or Thompson.

should be a cracking game

i expect this to be an awful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rookster wrote: »
    Jim McGuinness is giving interviews spanning hours describing how their system cannot be beaten.

Where's this now?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭munster87

wackokid wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there Johnny. You think there might be some value in backing Kerry @ 7/2 for HT/FT and your head tells you Donegal will win? Me no understand that.
    I note an ex county footballer in one of today's papers saying..........Kerry will ave to come up with a master plan if they are to beat Donegal.
    Those are my thoughts as well, as I can't see Kerry competing physically with Donegal in enough positions through the field. Gooch might be part of this master plan but others here wiser than me say that's a 'no go area'. Donaghy won't get any change out of Mrs McGee's two sons and neither will O Donoghue out of Paddy McGrath and or Thompson.

Define 'any change'. Would like to see what you think James O Donoghue will score in order for it to not be valued as change!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

i expect this to be an awful game.

I'd agree but would qualify that by saying that the skill levels, application of players and excitement will befit an AI Final - those that can appreciate a "fascinating defensive battle" will be in their element.

munster87 wrote: »
    Define 'any change'. Would like to see what you think James O Donoghue will score in order for it to not be valued as change!

Say 2 or 3 points..............he won't get near the square imho. These defenders are miles ahead of anything J.O.D. has met so far but their style of defending in pairs/threes makes the life of any forward hell. Bernard Brogan and O Gara cases in point unless of course Mr Kinsella allows him to abuse the steps rule. Can't see it happening for him on Sunday, but he will will P.O.T.Y. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

James is a lot faster than the three marquee inside forwards Donegal have met this season. Wouldn't think Neil McGee near as tough a match up for him as Higgins was, although McGee will have much better support.

In fairness, forwards rarely get more than three scores from play in All Ireland finals anyway, I would think if James got three points from play in what will be a low scoring game it's a bit harsh to say he didn't get much change out of a supposedly impregnable defence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement