Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Anyone else here getting disconnected all the time?
    All the lights bar the power light go off, takes a few minutes to restart and it would come up again. Sometimes during this process a connection wouldnt be established and the internet light goes red.
    This is happening now for over a month. Magnet support are now blaming an eircom issue, which they hope to have resolved in "a couple of weeks".
    At first I thought it was to do with usage, if I was using a lot it was happening but I have seen it happen now when only one device was connected and only browsing the web.
    Im on the fatpipe 70, speed has been lowered to 30mb to try and get a stable connection but it has not improved.
    I would change but if it is an eircom issue, I will have the same issue if i go to eircom/magnet as it is the same infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It's been happening pretty regularly here over the past month or so. Usually once every day or couple of days, somewhat late at night (around 2am or so). In Dunboyne on a FTTH line.

Connection will cut out for a few minutes (so no Internet or TV). When the connection does return, it doesn't always properly reconnect and I need to refresh my DNS settings on the PC, and restart the TV set top boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 22 REDLINE@

phill106 wrote: »
    Anyone else here getting disconnected all the time?
    All the lights bar the power light go off, takes a few minutes to restart and it would come up again. Sometimes during this process a connection wouldnt be established and the internet light goes red.
    This is happening now for over a month. Magnet support are now blaming an eircom issue, which they hope to have resolved in "a couple of weeks".
    At first I thought it was to do with usage, if I was using a lot it was happening but I have seen it happen now when only one device was connected and only browsing the web.
    Im on the fatpipe 70, speed has been lowered to 30mb to try and get a stable connection but it has not improved.
    I would change but if it is an eircom issue, I will have the same issue if i go to eircom/magnet as it is the same infrastructure.

Same issue here, over a month now, Tallaght area

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

REDLINE@ wrote: »

Same issue for me in Rathfarnham. Has been happening regularly for 2 weeks now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Do magnet reduce your speed if you are streaming? If someone in the house is watching game of thrones or football every one else is slowed down while Netflix and YouTube do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gmaximum wrote: »

Ditto....

I'm on the fat pipe package in Balbriggan and I'm getting very inconsistent speeds, have to reset the router sometimes twice a day, I never had any issues up until bout a month ago so I'm gonna cancel up and move back to Eircom....

Even though eircoms upload is half of magnets (in some areas).... :(

TheChrisD wrote: »
    It's been happening pretty regularly here over the past month or so. Usually once every day or couple of days, somewhat late at night (around 2am or so). In Dunboyne on a FTTH line.

Connection will cut out for a few minutes (so no Internet or TV). When the connection does return, it doesn't always properly reconnect and I need to refresh my DNS settings on the PC, and restart the TV set top boxes
    REDLINE@ wrote: »
    Gmaximum wrote: »
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Ditto....

I'm on the fat pipe package in Balbriggan and I'm getting very inconsistent speeds, have to reset the router sometimes twice a day, I never had any issues up until bout a month ago so I'm gonna cancel up and move back to Eircom....

Even though eircoms upload is half of magnets (in some areas).... :(

Interesting, they said only around 15 people were affected, surprising amount of them are boardies who found this thread!
    What are they saying to you, if you have complained?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Interesting, they said only around 15 people were affected, surprising amount of them are boardies who found this thread!
    What are they saying to you, if you have complained?

I haven't complained about it yet, I don't think I'm gonna bother, think I'll just cancel and let that be a lesson to them...

I see you have to give a months notice in writing to cancel, that's what I'll be doing I'd say....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

Interesting...

Also from Balbriggan and the speeds drop by 85% (From 94-95 to 14Mbps) after 8PM. Now the strange thing is that this happened to me with Vodafone (From 15Mbps to 0.8) when I was living in a different house up the town. This has been happening since January when there was extremely bad weather. I'm beginning to think it's not on the ISP's end but the infrastructure itself. Now the internet does disconnect randomly too (Which didn't happen with Vodafone) so that is probably their fault..I place the blame on the router. Another thing I noticed is when downloading torrents if you download too long it will crash and not work for hours.

The router they gave which is a PoS and is extremely locked down, they will not tell you how to bridge it either if you call them. The 'bridge' setting on the router does not work nor does assigning the public IP of the router to the other router.

Magnet is the best of the worst. You can go with eircom who have inferior speeds as well as enter an 18 month contract with them on top of the fact that there is the risk you might experience the same thing if it is in fact the infrastructure and not the ISP.

I'll call tomorrow and ask what is up

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Yep I'm on their top fibre package and my speeds drop to around 1 to 4MB in the evenings. Wouldn't be a heavy downloader either.

• Advertisement

Still "weeks" before it will be resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If people want to move from Magnet and do not want to pay the extra month they charge you when you do, just tell them they are breaking EU competition law, it has worked for many people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

I would advise anyone considering Magnet to reconsider. The constant disconnections are getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Hey everyone,

I'm adding my voice to the people having constant disconnections with Magnet. Very frustrated right now. I sent an complaint by email threatening that they would lose our custom and our loyalty and they fobbed us off with 2 weeks credit off our next bill. Nothing mentioned about the last 2 months we've had ****tier than dial up internet. 10 days ago they told us it would be fixed in 2 weeks and if it's not we're switching to UPC.

Also, I've tweeted them with a link to this thread. https://twitter.com/praiseofmyfolly/status/471019149549109248

@MagnetNetworks is their Twitter name if you want to join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

I rang them the other day and they said that they were implementing vectoring to the lines. They said it should be fixed by the end of May. Sounds like BS to me; a different excuse every time you call them. Unless you can get UPC there is no better ISP for speed sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bejelith

Got magnet broadband 24Mbps today in smithfield after weeks of waiting... now im downloading at 2Mbps (200Kbytes/sec, tested against debian mirrors and speedtest.net).
    I think it's a shame. I wonder about speaking with a lawyer, is it possible to advertise service that actually runs 85% slower then declared?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

bejelith wrote: »
    Got magnet broadband 24Mbps today in smithfield after weeks of waiting... now im downloading at 2Mbps (200Kbytes/sec, tested against debian mirrors and speedtest.net).
    I think it's a shame. I wonder about speaking with a lawyer, is it possible to advertise service that actually runs 85% slower then declared?

What you have there is a 24 megaBIT line. with 8 bits to the byte, that's a promise of 3 Megabytes maximum speed

I know the calculations very well im an engineer

I know the calculations very well im an engineer
    Oh, so that's meant to be 2000kb then? I'm honestly confused, as you seem to be misusing Mb and MB

24Mbps = 3200 Kbytes / s = 3.0 Mbytes/s = 3.0 MB/s
    2Mbps = 256 Kbytes /s = 0.2Mbytes/s = 0.2 MB/s

So basically my broadband is performing at 2Mbps (24Mbps - 90% ~= 2Mbps)

• Advertisement

24Mbps = 3200 Kbytes / s = 3.0 Mbytes/s = 3.0 MB/s
    2Mbps = 256 Kbytes /s = 0.2Mbytes/s = 0.2 MB/s

So basically my broadband is performing at 2Mbps (24Mbps - 90% ~= 2Mbps)

Apologies, I didnt think it at all possible for them to ship a 0.2MB line, that's a new low.

I'm looking for the source, but I'm fairly sure that a package of below 512kb cant be called broadband.

I have logged an official complaint with them according to their own procedures from here
    http://www.magnet.ie/complaints-procedure/

Apparently eircom will have it resolved by the 21st of this month.
    Will resolve the slow speeds and disconnects...
    Tune in on the 22nd for my rant saying how it isnt fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I am having the same issue here, except the disconnecting part. I rang them today and was told the same thing, on how its eircoms fault and it should be fixed in the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

Apparently eircom will have it resolved by the 21st of this month.
    Will resolve the slow speeds and disconnects...
    Tune in on the 22nd for my rant saying how it isnt fixed :)

22nd! 10% Packet loss. :(

Edit: 25%

Izmak wrote: »
    22nd! 10% Packet loss. :(

Edit: 25%

13% loss here...

Sat at 15% right now. It spiked up to 27% for 15-20 minutes about an hour ago. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Ive got consistant download speeds of up to 60Mbps with magnet Fibre 60 but rte and youtube are buffering every few seconds. Unwatchable. Anyone experiencing this? :mad:

shane1981 wrote: »
    Ive got consistant download speeds of up to 60Mbps with magnet Fibre 60 but rte and youtube are buffering every few seconds. Unwatchable. Anyone experiencing this? :mad:

This is caused by the abovementioned packet loss issues. :(

• Advertisement

Rang them last night as I am still getting disconnects and my profile is still not back to my original speeds.
    Supposedly it will be "escalated" today and an L2 will contact me

Advertisement