Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

paddy_joe wrote: »
    Any idea on when there will be an update?
    Is it easy enough to change to cyanogen?

It seems that Samsung have released what they claim is a fixed firmware on other networks, though it's possible it won't hit Vodafone until it beds in elsewhere - typical knee-jerk reaction of withholding it in case it exacerbates the problem, even though it sounds like the only way that would happen would be if it actually bricked the phone! Details here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had the freezing problem but unrelated to Vodafone, had tried Cyanogenmod but still froze. eventually used Mobile Odin to root the S3 and installed the international 4.3 version and running like a charm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Seems VF are offering some people a months free rental as compensation

Anyone else get a similar offer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Just sent them an email! Paying near 40 a month for a phone that has not been working right is madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Zipppy wrote: »

That article would be far more convincing if they didn't basically admit they pulled the whole thing out of their arse "it is highly unlikely that Samsung engineers have been sitting idle all this time. Though we have no concrete sources to confirm this claim, a speculation from our side".

If the author of the piece had gotten out on the other side of the bed or if he had been handed de-caf instead of regular at the coffee shop he could just as well have written that there will be no update before the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Poster on VF Community forum got this reply from Samsung:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I am sorry to hear about the issues that you are having with your Smasung Galaxy S3. I realise that this can be frustrating as you cannot operate your device successfully.

We are aware that customers have been affected by the 4.3 update, however we have released a new update to fix any errors that have been caused. Although you have not recieved any possible updates yet is because the network providers are checking it out and putting their own brand and software on the update also. Therefore the update should be available to you in due course.

I hope this helps!

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.

Kind regards,

Aaron
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre

(My emphasis in bold)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just tried to to see if there was an update via settings on the phone and today I'm getting the following:

"The software update service is not available. Maximum number of roll-out updates has been exceed. Try later or update your device using Samsung Kies"

Don't have a usb in work so will have to wait till I get home. Haven't got this error before, usually just says all updates installed.

Anybody else getting this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

pippip wrote: »
    Just tried to to see if there was an update via settings on the phone and today I'm getting the following:

"The software update service is not available. Maximum number of roll-out updates has been exceed. Try later or update your device using Samsung Kies"

Don't have a usb in work so will have to wait till I get home. Haven't got this error before, usually just says all updates installed.

Anybody else getting this?

I got the same message. I tried Kies, it is stating I have the latest updates :-(

• Advertisement

Just got an OTA system update. Installing it now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yeah got OTA update on Vodafone network. It's XXUG. Seems all good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Mine seems fixed. Unlocks quick anyway

Looks like it might be fixed.

But that's just on the first 5 min of usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah me too. Just got that new download.

Response seems to be better. Jury is out on the battery consumption though. I've gone from 100% battery to 73% with about 45 mins of browsing net and Facebook app etc via wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How spastic is this....
    Check phone for updates
    It gives me the max number exceeded error above, suggests using Kies
    I download latest version of Kies from their website & install it
    I first run Kies, it tells me there is a newer version, please uninstall Kies and re-Install the new version
    I do this, I now get an Unsupported connection mode warning, telling me to change the connection mode to Media Device (MTP) before connecting

I have no idea what this is or how to do it. And with the last software update I cant even find Developer Mode and other stuff in settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are yous getting the update via kies? I'm trying to update mine in the device settings and update but it's telling me I already have the latest.

My phone wont connec tto Kies because of this MTP connection warning, and I feel like a spa but I cannot find the USB settings stuff on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

My phone wont connec tto Kies because of this MTP connection warning, and I feel like a spa but I cannot find the USB settings stuff on the phone

As far as I remember theres on ongoing notification in the swipe down bar and you can change it there?

As far as I remember theres on ongoing notification in the swipe down bar and you can change it there?
    Thanks, that's right, click on the USB icon in the notifications and you can enable MTP

And after all that, against all expectations, an epic fail - Kies tells me "This is the latest firmware". What genius stuff.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are yous getting the update via kies? I'm trying to update mine in the device settings and update but it's telling me I already have the latest.

It's telling me I have the latest fimrware too. I'm not on WiFi here so not sure if that is the issue. i.e. Kies does not have the latest firmware, and VF is blocking updates over their Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

I updated mine and it seems fine now

blainj2 wrote: »
    I updated mine and it seems fine now

Did you use the VF Network or was your internet connection via Wireless?

Wireless for me...

I reckon VF are throttling the update or only allowing it via Wireless. Will try when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I was able to download it through the Vodafone network not using Kies.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Wireless but i got offered it on the VF network then switched to wireless to download it.

Just done the same 20mb update and there is a still a few bugs im noticing

1. Share button in gallery not working
    2. Time on lockscreen not the same as time in top right hand corner of screen(out buy a few mins)
    3. Battery drain still there
    4. Under battery use Android OS is running at 30% on 4.1.2 it was never this high.

Will never buy Samsung again and thinking of moving from Vodafone altogether now.

Very dissapointed

No sign off an update for me where exactly do I find it? What is this kies thing ye are on about?

Just done the same 20mb update and there is a still a few bugs im noticing

1. Share button in gallery not working
    2. Time on lockscreen not the same as time in top right hand corner of screen(out buy a few mins)
    3. Battery drain still there
    4. Under battery use Android OS is running at 30% on 4.1.2 it was never this high.

Will never buy Samsung again and thinking of moving from Vodafone altogether now.

Very dissapointed

It's better alright, but the battery issue is the big one. Looks like you'll need to charge it twice per day with normal usage.

They should just release kit-kat straight away! Seems to be a lot lighter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Am seriously considering the Cyanogenmod install, but still a bit dubious as I'm well within warranty.

One question, if I back up the phone with Kies before installing Cyanogenmod can I then restore settings/messages/pics etc the same way?

I tried using Titanium, but apparently the phone has to be rooted

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Highly unlikely. If you want KitKat you need to root and install a custom ROM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Bosh wrote: »
    Am seriously considering the Cyanogenmod install, but still a bit dubious as I'm well within warranty.

One question, if I back up the phone with Kies before installing Cyanogenmod can I then restore settings/messages/pics etc the same way?

Thanks

Root the phone and do a backup to SD card of your stock ROM via the recovery console.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33305767&postcount=1

Once rooted it will show a ! in the top left corner of your screen which indicates that you have modified the phone. Should you have a warranty issue just use Triangle Away, flash your backup and the Samsung techs won't know any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Downloaded new version of Kies. It says I have the latest firmware.
    When I try over WiFi it tells me that the maximum number of roll-out updates have been exceeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

When I try over WiFi it tells me that the maximum number of roll-out updates have been exceeded.

Yeh I'm getting the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Bosh wrote: »

Thanks

I installed Cyanogenmod even though I'm still in warranty. I won't be going back to Samsung stock ROM. This is very reliable. I had problems with Bluetooth even before this update. Everything is working perfectly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

pippip wrote: »
    Yeh I'm getting the same.

Same here, this is very frustrating. Alarm did not go off this morning. I'm in China on business.

When will this be available to us?

It's better alright, but the battery issue is the big one. Looks like you'll need to charge it twice per day with normal usage.

Yea battery seems poor for me also but everything else is working better.

I'd say we can forget about Kit-Kat. By the tone of "updates" we got from them my guess is Samsung & Vodafone see S3 owners as ungrateful children who don't appreciate everything they do for us and as punishment they will do nothing more for us. I'll be reviewing my options when my contract is up in a few months and right now Vodafone and Samsung have some serious ground to make up on their rivals for my business.

Me too, still. Tried on broadband connection last night and still no dice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone wondering about battery life on cyanogen, i found recalibrating the battery with BatteryCalibration helped.
    Looks like you'll need to charge it twice per day with normal usage.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. More like once a day, and i managed to get 36 hours from my last charge, all be it with practically no use though. Coming from stock on an s3 though can be frustrating to see it drop away with literally no use, stock would drop barely 1% an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

hi guys being watching this thread closely over past few weeks, i seem to have gotten away lightly after the update compared to some, but this morning i noticed when im charging the phone it comes up charging in usb mode?? i left it on charge all night but only got up to 58%? I have tried using different chargers and swapped around battery but still same thing!
    Has any one else experienced this problem after update or could it be the charging port?
    Thanks!

stevveyg wrote: »
    hi guys being watching this thread closely over past few weeks, i seem to have gotten away lightly after the update compared to some, but this morning i noticed when im charging the phone it comes up charging in usb mode?? i left it on charge all night but only got up to 58%? I have tried using different chargers and swapped around battery but still same thing!
    Has any one else experienced this problem after update or could it be the charging port?
    Thanks!
    Have had the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

stevveyg wrote: »
    Thanks!

58%?
    That's interesting because my phone ran totally out of batteries the other day... I put it on charge for maybe 3 to 5 minutes and turned it on. It claimed to have 58% battery charge but then over the course of ~10 minutes just drained like water out of a sieve.
    The whole situation is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

4 days after the latest update and the only issue I found so far is still with the WiFi.
    It won't connect, or won't find my home wifi or drops the wifi and so reverts to mobile data.
    Battery life is improved and the phone does unlock much quicker now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭donnacha

Finally got released the update this morning. Time will tell on the battery but phone now appears to function as a normal phone again i.e. being able to lock / unlock phone in a timely manner and being able to answer / end calls. I can finally get my phone back into its otterbox.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Anyone wondering about battery life on cyanogen, i found recalibrating the battery with BatteryCalibration helped.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. More like once a day, and i managed to get 36 hours from my last charge, all be it with practically no use though. Coming from stock on an s3 though can be frustrating to see it drop away with literally no use, stock would drop barely 1% an hour.

I was using it for about 10 minutes with wifi usage on internet and facebook at it dropped to 90% from 100%! I could see the battery % bar dropping by 1 or 2% every minute or so...

It has seemed to stabilise a bit more over the past few days though....

Just after getting the update, What are the features off 4.3 on the S3?

Hey all, Is your share option working in photo gallery? Mine just freezes whenever I try to use it and a box comes up on screen saying gallery has stopped working. Also I've noticed that the screen is now constantly running around 40% in the battery option. My brightness is only halfway. The screen was never this high before on the battery. Another thing I've noticed is that the time on the lockscreen is not in sync with the time on the phone. Always out by a few mins then it comes right when you press the power on and off

Hey all, Is your share option working in photo gallery? Mine just freezes whenever I try to use it and a box comes up on screen saying gallery has stopped working. Also I've noticed that the screen is now constantly running around 40% in the battery option. My brightness is only halfway. The screen was never this high before on the battery. Another thing I've noticed is that the time on the lockscreen is not in sync with the time on the phone. Always out by a few mins then it comes right when you press the power on and off

share seems to be ok for me....

I was using it for about 10 minutes with wifi usage on internet and facebook at it dropped to 90% from 100%! I could see the battery % bar dropping by 1 or 2% every minute or so...

It has seemed to stabilise a bit more over the past few days though....

Are you talking about the battery icon in the top right? It's about 3.5mm high, how could you possibly see it move 1% or 2% :eek:

the screen doesn't have enough pixels to display 1% of 3.5mm, and if it did no eyes would be able to see it, I think your mind is playing tricks on you :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement