Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line, 30th November

Options
  • 10-10-2013 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭

This is coming around again, last years thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741139

http://www.runtheline.ie

Just as last year it's a trail race in aid of Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue with two course lengths of 22k or 10k but a different course this year, it's a circuit around Two Rock, Three Rock and Fairy Castle.

I know a couple who gave it a miss l last year for fear of injury coming up to the marathon so no excuse this year.

A good lot of us here spend a lot of time in the hills so are aware of how valuable the voluntary service they provide, just checking out their site now and they've been busy, 90 call outs or so since January.

Last year was well ran, good atmosphere and boards had the winner in Enduro. It's a great area of Dublin to be running around and a good intro to trail running for anyone thinking about giving it a go for the first time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The Long Course looks like a good hard route. It looks like there's a team option. Anyone interested in forming one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I ran the short course last year and loved it. Will definitely be back for one or the other this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Interested in entering the long route, it would be my first stab at anything over 16km. The website is a bit scant on a couple of things, does anyone here know the following:

There seems to be a conflict on the distance on the website in some places it has the short route as 10Km and in other places 13km. It has the long route as 22km on the home page and 28km in other places on the website. Which is it?

Is there much in the line of tarmac roads on the long route? I've a reletively new pair of trail running shoes which I wouldn't want to wear down on the tarmac over a long distance if my road shoes serve as well.

How steep are the inclines? Are they all runable or will there be points where you're at walking pace dragging yourself up a mountain?

Aside from everything it looks like a great race and very reasonable at 25eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

seanmacc wrote: »
    Interested in entering the long route, it would be my first stab at anything over 16km. The website is a bit scant on a couple of things, does anyone here know the following:

There seems to be a conflict on the distance on the website in some places it has the short route as 10Km and in other places 13km. It has the long route as 22km on the home page and 28km in other places on the website. Which is it?

Is there much in the line of tarmac roads on the long route? I've a reletively new pair of trail running shoes which I wouldn't want to wear down on the tarmac over a long distance if my road shoes serve as well.

How steep are the inclines? Are they all runable or will there be points where you're at walking pace dragging yourself up a mountain?

Aside from everything it looks like a great race and very reasonable at 25eur.

I think the 13 and 28kms are referring to last years races (and really shouldnt be on the website any more). This year's appear to be 10 and 22.

I cant speak for this year's race but last year's was all on tarmac / fire roads / rocks / solid mountain paths. I ran it in regular runners and had no trouble. Traction was fine and there were no muddy off road bits where you may have needed trail shoes. I'm going to run it again in regular runners this year.

It was only my second mountain race and I (and most other people around me) had to stop and walk up many of the steep inclines. I suspect that will be the case again this year on the new route. But there's no shame in walking!

Have you never run more than 16km? Or have you just never entered a race more than 16km? I'd advise trying to get a few 20km+ runs in before the race, as this will be a very tough way to do your first half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The first and last 500m of both races are on tarmac roads (Woodside Road). The long course crosses a tarmac road but it's not worth talking about.

The last 1km of climbing up to Fairy Castle is quite steep and I suspect most will walk that. 'Walking pace dragging yourself up a mountain' is part and parcel of hill running :D Go on and register :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

The Long Course looks like a good hard route. It looks like there's a team option. Anyone interested in forming one?

yup count me in for a team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

eoinín wrote: »

Have you never run more than 16km? Or have you just never entered a race more than 16km? I'd advise trying to get a few 20km+ runs in before the race, as this will be a very tough way to do your first half marathon.

Never raced over 16km. I've done a fair few road runs 20km+ when I feel particularly energetic but my usual daily run would be 10-15km. I wouldn't be looking at setting a blistering pace. I reckon I can handle the distance. I've done Hell and Back 3 times over the past 2 years and I wouldn't be that intimidated by the hills or terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

go on then, it will make it a bit more interesting and keep the pressure on when I feel like walking :D

Never raced over 16km. I've done a fair few road runs 20km+ when I feel particularly energetic but my usual daily run would be 10-15km. I wouldn't be looking at setting a blistering pace. I reckon I can handle the distance. I've done Hell and Back 3 times over the past 2 years and I wouldn't be that intimidated by the hills or terrain.

You'll probably do fine - you know your own capabilities. I'm guessing you're a young-ish man and if you run 6-8 miles a day you're probably pretty fit so i'd say you'd manage it. I've never done Hell & Back, but from people telling me about it, I think you'll be ascending for a much greater proportion of Run the Line than Hell & back, but equally you won't have the obstacles, and the Run the Line terrain was absolutely fine & runnable last year.

I did the short course (13k) last year, and I'd previously done 3 half-marathon races that year and a couple of 20-mile training runs on the road, and I still found it tough enough (but really enjoyable). I think I was nearly a minute per km slower than my 10k road-race pace, but that gave me all the more time to look around & enjoy the views.

I'd really recommend either course, once you're comfortable with the distance and follow all the instructions like bringing a jacket and some food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MartyMcCarthy

Hi folks.
    The Run the Line team are going to be updating the website in the next few days to remove reference to last year's route and distances. A route description for this year should be available soon.
    There's a map on the website with the route. I would say a few training runs along the different sections would be useful for tyre selection on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Some help needed please,
    Want to do a bit of reccy on the course and never ran the short route,
    Parking in Lamb Doyles head out the road towards the blue light......
    Am I looking for a gate or marker to turn right onto the trail???

I presume the long route is a culmination of the short and long together..... A bit silly but never did the course before thanks....

Best I can figure, take the first right off Woodside Road and then a trail takes off up the hill on your left and continue on up some combinations of trails. See attached.

The long course departs and rejoins the short course at the junction between the WW and DMW on the far side of two rock.

Edit: just registered. Today is the last of the early bird pricing.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Best I can figure, take the first right off Woodside Road and then a trail takes off up the hill on your left and continue on up some combinations of trails. See attached.

The long course departs and rejoins the short course at the junction between the WW and DMW on the far side of two rock.

Edit: just registered. Today is the last of the early bird pricing.

Where do you see the early bird thing?
    I'm just seeing €25 nothing about early bird?
    Cheers
    Part of group doing it so not everyone is committed yet. Don't mind the extra it's for a good cause after all

Erm...I'm stumped. I had a reminder in my calendar to register today as I thought it was a cutoff date. How embarrassing.
    Never mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Is there a cut off date, hoping to do the 22k track, first time trail running,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Anyone know what the team option consists of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Anyone know what the team option consists of?

Erm...I'm stumped. I had a reminder in my calendar to register today as I thought it was a cutoff date. How embarrassing.
    Never mind...
    No bodge Paulie you gave me a but if scare....

ronn wrote: »
    Is there a cut off date, hoping to do the 22k track, first time trail running,

All I can see in the website is the 29th November. It's not restricted the more the merrier I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Looking forward to this, just wondering are we running up the mountain bike trail behind Lamb doyles or is it on the grass path that circles around?
    Any officals on here?

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    We have a pdf with map on the website. It should answer questions about the routes. Note the longer route is now 25km.

http://www.runtheline.ie/media-downloads/32-rtl-faq-and-event-info-2013

Hope to see you all there!

FB Page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I think I'll give the short course a go...I don't have trail running shoes though, will my asics be okay?!

I think I'll give the short course a go...I don't have trail running shoes though, will my asics be okay?!

It's a different course this year, so I'm sure the organizers will know better, but I did it last year in my road runners and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hatcho

Just signed up for the short course - looks like a great run and for a good cause too! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

HelenAnne wrote: »
    It's a different course this year, so I'm sure the organizers will know better, but I did it last year in my road runners and it was fine.

I ran this years course a couple of weeks ago, it's tougher than the shorter course from last year but a great course none the less. It's more off the beaten tracks that are around there so you might find it a bit slippy in places but don't let that stop you.

Hi Extra,
    While much of the route will be on the purpose built trails up there, much of it will also be on the non-maintained, more natural trails (see map on www.runtheline.ie).

You could get away with grippy runners I’m sure but you could find the climbs and especially the downhill sections treacherous. Even the purpose built trails will be slippy with the extra traffic. You would need to slow down to give yourself more security. Trail runners are advised.

Hi Marty,

I asked over on the FB page, do you have a garmin trace of the route ? The pdf is fine, but when you leave the road after Lamb Doyles, there are any number of paths that could be taken. I was up there myself yesterday to have a look and I was trying to remember from the description which way to go, but it was pointless. I know there will be stewards there on the day, but it would be good to know.

BTW, it's a pretty wicked start (and finish!)

Hi Marty,
    I asked over on the FB page, do you have a garmin trace of the route ?

Leave it with me Paulie. I'll see if anyone has recorded it fully and exactly as it will be marked. The navigation geeks among us might be using maps and compass to plot and mark the route!

Marty

Thanks Marty. It's really only the first mile or so until you get to the forest, I'm familiar with the rest of the route.

• Advertisement

actually the route is quite visible on the rather excellent Nokia Here Maps

Advertisement