Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line, 6th of October.

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭

Details were posted on the IMRA thread a while back but the website went live yesterday so I thought I'd give it it's own thread, http://www.runtheline.ie/

28 or 13k run across the Dublin Mountains in aid of the Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue teams, no better deserving charity for those who enjoy the outdoors on a regular basis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Really looking forward to this run (28k) looks like a bit of a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I've wanted to dip my toe into trail running for a while, like the look of the 13k!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

This looks good - just need to decide to do the 28k or 13k. Just wondering if the 28k (with 1000m climbing) would be a bit much 3 weeks before DCM? Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm going to give the 13k a try. Haven't done any mountain running at all, so am a bit nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mickleod

Hi everyone,
    I think I unfortunately neglected to announce that this event is going ahead on Saturday 6th October.

Full details can be found at

www.runtheline.ie

or at

http://www.facebook.com/runtheline2012

Ideal in the run-up to the Dublin Marathon, and all proceeds go directly to Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue (Charity # 10148), as we are running the event!

Please contact info@runtheline.ie for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Great idea for a route, pity there is a clash with the Athlone 3/4, I am assuming a lot of the IMRA crowd will also be in Westmeath on the Sunday.

Maybe if successful it could be switched to early summer next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Would anyone have a Garmin for this route ? (specifically the Tallaght to Cruagh section, I've ran the remaining bits from Pine Forest to Ballyedmunduff). I'm thinking of doing this, but I don't want to do too much climbing, coz I'm lazy like that :D

Would anyone have a Garmin for this route ? (specifically the Tallaght to Cruagh section, I've ran the remaining bits from Pine Forest to Ballyedmunduff). I'm thinking of doing this, but I don't want to do too much climbing, coz I'm lazy like that :D

Do you know what the Cruagh to Johnny Foxes section is like, cambo gueno? (It's my first mountain run, so am anxious about hills, terrain, a big man falling on me & crushing me on any downhills, getting lost in a terrible mountain mist, dying of exposure etc etc etc! (looking forward to it really!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't have a garmin track cambo_gueno, but I don't think it's too massive a climb, I think there's only around a 200 metre difference between the waterworks and Cruagh. Have you ran the rest of the route recently ? I'd imagine road shoes are pretty much the best choice for the route.

HelenAnne, the trail from Cruagh to the end is pretty good these days. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong as I often mix my hills up but the climb to the top of Fairy Castle has now been laid with those big slabs so it's not as messy as it used to be, similar to how it is across parts of Tibradden. Going down the other side of Fairy Castle will probably be the trickiest bit of the whole route but take it handy and you'll be grand. From then on it's standard forrest trail.

Thanks This_Regard. I ran it a couple of weeks ago, from the other direction.
    You're right, if it's any way dry, you'd be fine wearing road shoes, probably better off in fact. From fairy Castle down to three rock there is enough rock to avoid the mucky bits. The rest of the way, fro Three Rock to Ballyedmunduff is gravel fire road. From Fairy castle to Cruagh woods there is a mixture of gravel and rocky paths.

Not sure if I can do this now, I would love to though

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Do you know what the Cruagh to Johnny Foxes section is like, cambo gueno? (It's my first mountain run, so am anxious about hills, terrain, a big man falling on me & crushing me on any downhills, getting lost in a terrible mountain mist, dying of exposure etc etc etc! (looking forward to it really!)

It's fine. From Tibradden to Three Rock you need to have your wits about you as there are large rocks on the paths which could trip you up if you're not paying full attention.
    About getting lost, you'll be fine. The path all the way from Cruagh to the end is waymarked and is all part of the DMW.
    About dying of exposure, I doubt you're ever more than a mile away from a road, so you should do fine.
    Good luck with it and enjoy it. It's a world away from road running and I bet you'll be hooked after it

Just to clarify, for the long route I would say road shoes are best as it's pretty much tarmac until you turn off at Killakee. If I was doing the shorter route I'd wear my trails shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great race today. Organisation was as good as the weather i.e. pretty much perfect. A brilliant route too. Well done to all involved. If you didn't race, you really missed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Enduro wrote: »
    Great race today. Organisation was as good as the weather i.e. pretty much perfect. A brilliant route too. Well done to all involved. If you didn't race, you really missed out!

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic route, weather was perfect, a welcome change from standard road running. Makes Roebuck Rd seem like a walk in the park now. Defiantly would consider similar runs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Enduro. A great day to be in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I just wanted to echo the positive sentiments expressed so for - this was a really enjoyable race. The organisation seemed fantastic to me - it was well marshalled at all roads and junctions by the police and the mountain rescue volunteers, all of whom gave great enthusiastic support. The bag drop system, coach transfer and bonus unexpected tshirts at the end were great additional touches that really made this a brilliant day.

The course was stunning - I had never been to Kiltipper Valley before, and with the sun shining, the great view of the hills in the distance and the line of runners ahead of me I felt really at peace and just generally happy that i had signed up. Similarly I hadn't been to the Glenasmole Reservoirs and they provided a welcome distraction from the climb. The camaraderie with other runners was great too - being forced to walk up the steep bits gave a great opportunity for a chat.

But it was a tough route! I found Tibradden much tougher this time round compared to the Dublin Mountains Plod a few months back, possibly because today I had more kms ran when I got to it. I really felt like I did much more walking today than I did in the Plod. But the views from Tibradden, Fairy Castle and Three Rock made me appreciate the effort I had put in.

I would thoroughly recommend this run for anyone wanting something different from a race experience - and of course it was for a very good cause.

Good luck with it and enjoy it. It's a world away from road running and I bet you'll be hooked after it

Did the 13k & loved it! Maybe I am hooked! Found the uphills tough, I didn't walk much at all, but often my 'running' was walking pace! Loved the downhills, leaping from rock to rock, and the views.

Really well organised too. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

That was great fun, we couldn't have wished for a better day weather wise provinding great views most of the way. Very well organised and the junctions across road where there was potenital to meet traffic were excellently done by the mountain rescue guys and gardai.

And to top it off they have my favourite jellys and a nice t-shirt at the end.

Advertisement