Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »
    If there are 4 HD channels they have to be split between the Muxes. Also no SD versions. A channel will be SD only or HD /Upscalled SD to HD only. (Regulars know this).

Obviously the HD chhannels would be split, two on mux1 and two on mux 2. It would be rather obvious to give RTE the first mux with RTE1HD, RTE2HD and their two SD channels, RTE NN and RTE Plus/RTEjr. TV3HD and TG4HD would be on the second Mux with TV3's SD channel 3e, and OTV/IFT (or whatever).

There would be room for a good few radio stations as well on the second mux.

It would also make sense to do it that way as the second mux would be non-RTE and so bandwidth arguements are neutral with respect to RTE. SIZE=1][I]You know how some people like to sue if they think they are being picked on[/I][/SIZE and cost could be apportioned away from other arguments that go on.

It would be great if mux2 launched on October 24th.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I don't think we'll see the second mux or new channels until the issue of the Multiplex Tariff has been sorted for the 2 RTÉ licenced Public Service muxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Going HD should not cost much extra than the cost of analogue.

Digital transmission should be cheaper, even in HD.

e.g. a transmitter that might broadcast a single analogue TV channel at 500kW, could broadcast a whole mux at 200kW. So even two muxes use less transmitter power than a single analogue channel.

RTENL can set off the equipment costs against the hugely reduced ongoing energy costs. They've fewer sites after ASO as well.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Cush wrote: »
    I don't think we'll see the second mux or new channels until the issue of the Multiplex Tariff has been sorted for the 2 RTÉ licenced Public Service muxes.

I expect you are right, but there has been so many disappointments in this never ending saga that is Saorview, they might surprise us.
    ninja900 wrote: »
    Digital transmission should be cheaper, even in HD.

e.g. a transmitter that might broadcast a single analogue TV channel at 500kW, could broadcast a whole mux at 200kW. So even two muxes use less transmitter power than a single analogue channel.

RTENL can set off the equipment costs against the hugely reduced ongoing energy costs. They've fewer sites after ASO as well.

Exactly the point I am making, and by going HD soon on all four formerly analogue channels, it would fill up the second mux rather than have it stuffed with zeros. Even if the channels were merely upscaled SD for most output, it would move HD into the 'normal' and remove the premium tag it has at the moment with at least one platform. Like the introduction of colour, it will come dropping slow, but at least get the option out there. There is a lot of dross out there that is so much better in HD.:D

RTE NL must be kept viable as a profit making entity, and remain in state ownership as a vital piece of infrastructure. It perhaps should be moved away from RTE and become independant. The existing link allows a certain broadcaster to call foul when they think the prices are unfair to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^ Good point in last paragraph, but aren't TV3 getting a free ride to some extent? They were let off with appallingly bad analogue coverage. If they're paying the full economic cost of Saorview transmission for both TV3 and 3e then fair enough but somehow I'm not convinced. If RTENL is split off then there would have to be a guarantee of no political interference/favouritism in transmission costs etc.

As regards HD, there's a lot of imported content and movies that could take advantage of it (given the appropriate equipment) right now, without waiting for upgrading of studios etc. Really at ASO we should have already had both muxes up and running and all 4 main channels in HD...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

It perhaps should be moved away from RTE and become independant. The existing link allows a certain broadcaster to call foul when they think the prices are unfair to them.

That appears to be the plan according to an Irish Times report from earlier this year - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77382288

There are four 'networks' Semi-State companies at the present time. ESB Networks, Bord Gais Networks, Eirgrid, and RTE NL. Would it not make sense to integrate then into Irish National Networks, which would collect the gas and electric bills, together with the TV licence, all on one monthly bill, as well as what they do now - read all the meters. The various 'providers' like Electric Ireland, Airtricity, and Irish Gas would submit their monthly bills for collection.

I know this cannot happen because
    1. It is too simple
    2. There are no jobs for the boys
    3. It makes too much sense.

..... or am I too cynical?

I know this cannot happen because
    1. It is too simple
    2. There are no jobs for the boys
    3. It makes too much sense.

..... or am I too cynical?

4. It would probably fall foul of EU competition law

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

5. We'd have to legislate for it

Oh wait that's part of the government's job. :rolleyes:

I think this is off topic.:)

I do not know how. They are all in state ownership now, and would all be in state ownership afterwards.
    Elmo wrote: »
    5. We'd have to legislate for it

Oh wait that's part of the government's job. :rolleyes:

Legisaltion would be necessary, obviously. It would probably take years for them to agree anything, but maybe our friends from the Troica might have something to say. Do they read boards.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭eirman

I can't get anything from Clermont Ch 57. Are there sporadic tests or will we have to wait till post ASO?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

eirman wrote: »
    I can't get anything from Clermont Ch 57. Are there sporadic tests or will we have to wait till post ASO?

I don't think you will see MUX 2 until Oct 2013.

Just noticed that MUX 1 has been branded RTÉNL 1 perhaps this was always the case???

Just noticed that MUX 1 has been branded RTÉNL 1 perhaps this was always the case???

It was renamed to RTÉNL 1 when 3e and News Now swapped places.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I agree MUX 2 has been silent for the past couple of months so i'm not expecting much activity form MUX 2 over the 12 months. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Hey I got a few test services appearing yesterday and today from Truskmore on channel 57. The signal is a lot stronger on it than on my main saorview channel 53.
    Anyone knw what they are or when they will officially launch?

Hey I got a few test services appearing yesterday and today from Truskmore on channel 57. The signal is a lot stronger on it than on my main saorview channel 53.
    Anyone knw what they are or when they will officially launch?
    Every now and again RTENL fire up MUX 2 to make sure everything is in good working order so i would not expect any new channels to appear on MUX 2 for the foreseeable future as carriage fees for MUX 2 is still a big stumbling block for new channels to be carried on the second MUX. Until that's sorted nothing new is going to appear.

MUX 2 from Maghera is now fired up with the usual test cards and radio tests on silent.

MUX 2 off again. Didn't last long. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

will this be launching on the 24th as soon as the switch off? and what channels will be switching to hd? by the way is there a website for all the technical news/announcements like this for soarview, it all just seem to be be basic info for those not so familiar with digital

sky23 wrote: »
    will this be launching on the 24th as soon as the switch off? and what channels will be switching to hd? by the way is there a website for all the technical news/announcements like this for soarview, it all just seem to be be basic info for those not so familiar with digital

No it won't be launching on Oct 24th, early next year according to Saorview/RTÉNL, if they have extra channels to carry and they can sort out the issue of tariffs.

http://www.saorview.ie/ is where some announcements are made, the RTÉNL website is another. Other information from them comes through their facebook pages Saorview & Saorview Tech & Trade, either by direct comment to questions or by posting the information directly.

• Advertisement

Mux 2 has been very quiet over the past few months and not a sniff of any new channels launching. I wonder are there still expressions of interest or have they pulled out due to the Carriage fee issue? It would be great to know one way or another.

I wonder are there still expressions of interest or have they pulled out due to the Carriage fee issue? It would be great to know one way or another.

The last thing we've heard on this was an article in the Irish Indo last month - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935335&page=134

The last thing we've heard on this was an article in the Irish Indo last month - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935335&page=134
    This is from the Saorview Facebook page wen asked why TG4HD has not appeared on Saorview. We've checked this out with RTÉNL and they've told us that TG4 have not approached them about broadcasting the new TG4 HD channel on SAORVIEW. There is a second mux available to take new channels, but at present there have been no new channels put forward for it. So it looks like we are going to be waiting a very long time before we see any new channels on MUX 2. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Can't pick up Mux 2 form Kippure here, and there's none from Three Rock at the moment. But I'm receiving a Mux2 signal on VHF - frequency 198500, or Ch8 or ch ID.

The signal was also present yeaterday.

It includes a TG4 on Test Service 2. The box indicates it's 1440x1080.

I can't be sure where the signal is coming from.
    I'm pretty much positioned on a line between Three Rock and the mast in Montrose, Donnybrook.

I've two aerials. One horizontlal for Three Rock, pointing that way, one vertical pointing 180 degrees the opposite, ie approximately north.

VHF signal is on second vertical aerial, doesn't appear at all on the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There was a VHF transmitter on top of the Donnybrok mast at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That would likely have been before Three Rock was commissioned.

Kippure has VHF.

But it might only be labelled 198500MHz in the stream and actually really on UHF. It depends where the frequency information comes from.

In the past RTENL has transmitted MPEG data with fictitious figures. I've done it myself on tests accidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Got something via email in work today from the retail support guys in Saorview, regarding a complete retune of all equipment being required on October 24th. Did not see it myself but will have a look in the morning....could this mean MUX2 is actually going to be fired up on this day too?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Got something via email in work today from the retail support guys in Saorview, regarding a complete retune of all equipment being required on October 24th. Did not see it myself but will have a look in the morning....could this mean MUX2 is actually going to be fired up on this day too?
    ??? They can't be serious. As things stand everyone will loose analogue on ASO & now they want everyone on Saorview to go looking for a picture on the same day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Thanks, Watty.

I picked the Mux up by scanning that particular frequency into the box. (The autoscan only starts at IE or IF, it now identifies that frequency channel as ID, when I view the sig/quality strength in manual scan.)

So I'd assume that it is an actual transmission at 198.5 MHz, I wasn't looking at stored information from a stream, that I know of.

As an aside, the aerial used is a uhf grid, vertically polarised (which may be of no consequence, I'm not on a position to change it to horizontal to see the difference)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

??? They can't be serious. As things stand everyone will loose analogue on ASO & now they want everyone on Saorview to go looking for a picture on the same day as well.
    This will only be for Clermont Carn and Mt. Leinster which start Saorview on new channels from 24th & 26th the "old" ones being switched off on 7th Nov. so people have two weeks to do the retune.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement