Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Murphy memorial marathon and ultras 18/11

Options
  • 05-09-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

On line entry will be up on Run Ireland within the next week - Places limited so be warned .Once we hit 100 entries we will close off.

New this year we will have about 15 slots available for a half marathon

Proceeds after costs (thanks to Run Irelands support are virtually covered) will be donated to Milford Hospice.

Marathon, 30 mile, and double marathon distances

Last year's thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

On line entry will be up on Run Ireland within the next week - Places limited so be warned .Once we hit 100 entries we will close off.

Proceeds after costs (thanks to Run Irelands support are virtually covered) will be donated to Milford Hospice.

Excellent. Will keep an eye out for it. Really enjoyed last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Marathon, 30 mile, and double marathon distances

Last year's thread
    nice one was beginin to think i was running up and down hills for nowth,really lookin forward to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

ultraman1 wrote: »
    nice one was beginin to think i was running up and down hills for nowth,really lookin forward to this...

Keep running them, You'll need to chain 52 of them together on the day. I hear RQ will be standing at the top of the hill all day with a HTFU sign just for you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

this was a great race last year, i really enjoyed it.... quick question however.... i am getting slagged all year that the marathon course was short.... i know the 100 marathon crew guys count it as a marathon.. but 2 separate garmins had it under the 26.2...... ?? anyone remember???

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

last years thread still active .. great race this one.... BUT was the marathon short ?? i'm always slagged it was by two separate lads who ran it with me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I'd be very keen to run the half. Is it open for online entry on run-ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

last years thread still active .. great race this one.... BUT was the marathon short ?? i'm always slagged it was by two separate lads who ran it with me..
    i seriously doubt it...and a course is not measured with a garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

this was a great race last year, i really enjoyed it.... quick question however.... i am getting slagged all year that the marathon course was short.... i know the 100 marathon crew guys count it as a marathon.. but 2 separate garmins had it under the 26.2...... ?? anyone remember???

I checked my Garmin's map afterwards and noticed that it had a tendency to cut a bit off the road at the 180 degree turn at most of the laps. That would explain how it could measure short on an accurate course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There was a bit in the middle of the village (as you turned to head towards the 'hill') where almost everyone (including your mate VR :p) was cutting the corner a bit. It might have been only 5-10 meters per lap but over 26 laps it certainly adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

Just to confirm the course was measured using the accepted Jones Counter format by a accrediated AAI course measurer.

You will have to listen to a bit more slagging from your mates to find out why your Garmin did not read 26.2 :D

• Advertisement

I'd be very keen to run the half. Is it open for online entry on run-ireland ?

Will be open within the next week.

Check out last years thread for your answer on that but your mates may have the answers as to why your garmin was showing lass than 26.2 :D

For the record the course was officially measured using a jones counter by a accrediated AAI measurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'd be up for the half as i'm working in Dub til 3am and would be driving straight down.

I'm going away on the 13th so i hope it opens before then !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

No too break 3 in dcm is one thing but not to break it on a short course was priceless. If this suits I would do it again. It was a great day. Really enjoyed Thr friendship of The girls on the way around. No guts lapped me 3 or 4 times and that was his all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Really enjoyed it last year too, was only my second marathon (first was a couple of weeks before in Dublin), although, I did keep people waiting a while to finish! Fantastic atmosphere and great cause / memorial.

Would love to be up to, but have only done a few 10ks, the GLR half this year since last year's Eddie, that is all, ie no intermediary runs or training, so do not think I would be up to it! Might sign up for the half though. Keep promising to get back out running with the Bridge Milers, this might be the spur, eh Tom!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

im going to give the double marathon a go,whats the course like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Hilly

It's a 1 mile loop with a nice little incline that you hit every lap
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129943624

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's a 1 mile loop with a nice little incline that you hit every lap
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129943624

thanks menoscemo
    so 52 laps and 52hills,sounds like alot of fun to me:D

thanks menoscemo
    so 52 laps and 52hills,sounds like alot of fun to me:D

For sadists like you It probably is fun.

I know a few people had eyes on a prize in this race, they might all switch to the 30 miler now :p

• Advertisement

:D
    i was only coming down to run this as i have been told its a lovely friendly race for a great cause,i never met eddie,but heared he was a top bloke,jesus i hope i dont have to race another one this year:eek:,but i no what happens when theres as race on,i just end up going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

Would recommend the 30mile ultra to anyone who is tempted by something a bit longer than the marathon ! it was a fantastic event and you get to see the fabulous stewards every mile ! There is an uphill bit and a downhill bit, you can stop for gels/water etc on every mile. I had two great gals who ran 15 miles each with me, so I wasnt a bit lonely, and even managed to lap some speed demons from da local club !

i was only coming down to run this as i have been told its a lovely friendly race for a great cause,i never met eddie,but heared he was a top bloke,jesus i hope i dont have to race another one this year:eek:,but i no what happens when theres as race on,i just end up going for it.

Ray, if you look at the elevation over 52 laps (ignore the pace :o) the net elevation is 2943ft which is over twice the height of the Connor's Pass ;)

Wouldn't do any harm to get a few hill reps in as part of training :)

But it is definitely a great friendly race. You see the marshals so many times around, you are practically part of the family by the end of the race.

im sold,see u all there,ye ha love it

Aimman wrote: »
    Ray, if you look at the elevation over 52 laps (ignore the pace :o) the net elevation is 2943ft which is over twice the height of the Connor's Pass ;)

Wouldn't do any harm to get a few hill reps in as part of training :)

But it is definitely a great friendly race. You see the marshals so many times around, you are practically part of the family by the end of the race.

But taking the elevation in little chunks at a time makes it A LOT easier.

It's a great race, I highly recommend it to anyone. The marshals were just brilliant, on the 30th loop they were still as enthusiastic as the first time round.

If there was one thing I would change from last year then it would be for the runners to wear little tags on their back to denote the distance they're doing (like the "Ultra Runner" tags in Connemara)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That and so much more. To win and have your name uttered in the same breath as Eddie's would be your finest achievement. :)

If there's a half here I'll try make it down and join the fun - no chance I'd be capable of 26 or more sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Run Ireland now have entries open for this on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

That's me signed up.
    haven't had a good hill reps session in ages.
    52 x hillreps, should keep me occupied for most of the day.

b.harte wrote: »
    That's me signed up.

Me too. But I kept it to the 30 mile fun run, for last year's memories' sake.

• Advertisement

Signed up for the 52M again. Might as well. Once Dublin is finished, I'll let the Ultra-running silliness re-commence :D

Advertisement