Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The dog was found safe and sound.

The pound had her so they gave us a ring when the picked her up.:)

Great news, delighted to hear it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Right guys rant time....firstly here is my backround..from Cork live here now..yep a girl thats it now RANT...my best friend here has started a business yes a brave move before u say and i agree but i think of it more as "fair play"anyway went in for a takaway last this eveing and bold as brass the person behind counter(speaking to customer)said ah sur they will have no hope there.No praise at all for taking a chance..for customer who didnt even know who or where it was even located agreed and went on to even bad mouth the business.Please support local,self employed people are employing it may be 1 or 10 but they are our 1 or 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

copy1 wrote: »
    Right guys rant time....firstly here is my backround..from Cork live here now..yep a girl thats it now RANT...my best friend here has started a business yes a brave move before u say and i agree but i think of it more as "fair play"anyway went in for a takaway last this eveing and bold as brass the person behind counter(speaking to customer)said ah sur they will have no hope there.No praise at all for taking a chance..for customer who didnt even know who or where it was even located agreed and went on to even bad mouth the business.Please support local,self employed people are employing it may be 1 or 10 but they are our 1 or 10.
    This attitude is a typical Irish thing not just local,knock everything and give nothing a chance to succeed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Best of luck to your friend. I hope she succeeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I 100% agree with this buy local bit.

In Ireland we have increasingly become globalised and people would much rather go buy some silly branded sh1t than support their local businesses.

It drives me insane when I see people queue for coffee in Starbucks around Ireland when the small independent coffee shop around the corner offers as good if not better ( sewer water would be better than starbucks ffs ) for a comparable price.

Same with McDonalds - don't tell me the Burger and chips or fish and Chips from Lyons' is not infinitely better than the sh1t McDonalds sells - but because they advertise with a big funny looking lad on telly people come from miles around to buy their tripe!

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist - the Big Business loans countries money - if big business makes it impossible for countries to get money they have to go to the IMF - the IMF makes countries sell their assets ( at low prices because of the recession ) and soon Big Business owns counties best assets at knock down prices - thats just how it works.
    Something similar happens the small independent trader - BB comes in during recession - can afford to pay big rents, makes it impossible for small guys to compete and soon enough every penny you spend goes into these guys pockets and not into your own community. Yes they create jobs but independent guys would create nearly as many and the money would stay local.

Rant over - buy Irish, buy local :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

The Old Convent = best place in Ireland, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

mozattack wrote: »

Lost me there I'm afraid:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Best for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

• Advertisement

The back pocket would want to be full looking at the prices.It looks lovely though......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

The back pocket would want to be full looking at the prices.It looks lovely though......:)

€65 for 3 hrs eating = good value for me I am afraid (there from 8pm to 11pm).

Okay staying pushes it into a new price range but I wont be arsed with that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

€65 for 3 hrs eating = good value for me I am afraid (there from 8pm to 11pm).

Okay staying pushes it into a new price range but I wont be arsed with that

Have to agree. You get what you pay for. If you like your food you'll think it's great value. If you prefer a nice plate of meat and two veg and are not into any fancy stuff then the Old Convent isn't for you. Horses for Courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

Sad to see another pub will close its doors tonight and not reopen again.
    The polish pub in Irishtown is closing down tonight, the lease holder gave it his best shot but its not worked out for him.

hamco wrote: »
    The polish pub in Irishtown is closing down tonight, the lease holder gave it his best shot but its not worked out for him.

On the flipside of that though is that the 19th hole is re-opening today with most of the former staff.Hope it gets off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I thought that place was doing well. On another note I hear the 19th hole is reopening and also Dannos is making a comeback again.

It was doing good, I was a regular customer there for a long time. Things change I guess and sometimes to the untrained eye, everything seems fine to us but there are problems we dont see. .
    Seems to have happened to quite a few businesses in town of late, suddenly shutting up shop.

I was never in the 19th hole, might try it out soon, would certainly wish them the best of luck with it and also wish Martin from the polish pub the best of luck in the future, sad to see you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Really? I see on their Facebook page that they're doing all drinks €3.50 tonight. Getting rid of stock?
    I thought that place was doing well. On another note I hear the 19th hole is reopening and also Dannos is making a comeback again.

Another Dannos comeback attempt? :rolleyes:
    When's Higgins gonna realise he can't run a club properly and hand it over to somebody who will?

ciano1 wrote: »
    Really? I see on their Facebook page that they're doing all drinks €3.50 tonight. Getting rid of stock?

Another Dannos comeback attempt? :rolleyes:
    When's Higgins gonna realise he can't run a club properly and hand it over to somebody who will?

Yes really I would not of put it up here if it was not closing. Go in and buy a pint of draught and you will see they only have 1 lager left, I was in there yesterday and spoke to the manager, a good friend of mine since he came to Clonmel.

His not in the same league as Higgins,Ive no reason to doubt him, his not pulling a relaunch stunt but I think I understand your thinking on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

the one across from where that deli used to be?
    (corner of o neill street?)

• Advertisement

sorry rant alert - was in Clonmel today.
    Dunnes on Waterford road, The Show grounds and the poppy fields car parks were full of cars while the town centre was dead as a dodo.

Well done town planners! People who want to shop in Clonmel have to have a car to get to these places while the locals who own shops in the town centre are left for dead.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Dunnes on Waterford road, The Show grounds and the poppy fields car parks were full of cars while the town centre was dead as a dodo.

Well done town planners! People who want to shop in Clonmel have to have a car to get to these places while the locals who own shops in the town centre are left for dead.

And why can't/won't they shop in Dunnes on O'Connell street or Oakville ?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    the one across from where that deli used to be?
    (corner of o neill street?)

Yes thats the one.

Vizzy wrote: »
    And why can't/won't they shop in Dunnes on O'Connell street or Oakville ?

because they need their cars to go to the shops on the edges of town, and parking in clonmel is a disaster ( because of bad planning )
    Allowing them to build large malls on the outskirts has donutised the town everything is now on the ring road and there is nothing left in the middle !
    (slight exaggeration but you get the drift )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

because they need their cars to go to the shops on the edges of town, and parking in clonmel is a disaster ( because of bad planning )
    Allowing them to build large malls on the outskirts has donutised the town everything is now on the ring road and there is nothing left in the middle !
    (slight exaggeration but you get the drift )

lol

The town centre is a nightmare for parking, no one can dispute that, how many times do we circle the town looking for a space to park, people double park on the main street while they use cash machines etc, must be a nightmare for the less able bodied or elderly who need to park near the shop they want to use.

Shopping centres are built for convience and always have ample parking, and thats what makes them an attractive alterative to the town centre.
    The problem is even if the council decide to build another car park in town, where could they build it?
    Not sure what the solution is to this issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shopping centres are built for convience and always have ample parking, and thats what makes them an attractive alterative to the town centre.
    The problem is even if the council decide to build another car park in town, where could they build it?
    Not sure what the solution is to this issue.

There has been numerous planning applications for a multi-story car park to go where the Clonmel Arms Hotel is but its been rejected time after time, not sure as to why, it would certainly help with the parking problem.

The planning for a multi story was also rejected for the Mary st car park. And the fact the Arms is left in the state its in is a fupping disgrace.

Too slim a brown envelope for the councillors I imagine.

In Kilkenny you can practically park on the main st in a multi story. And the shopping centre was built almost in the town centre also.

That's a case of the planners caring about the town rather than helping out the land barons with useless land on the fringes of towns convert them into shopping outlets people have to drive to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

The problem with the proposed Arms multi-storey car park originally was it was too high, it would have been higher than the steeple of St Peter and Paul's Church. The site was too small and would have been a disaster if it had been built.

Regarding Mary Street, there used to be a legal problem which restricted building a car park above 2 storeys, which turned away many potential developers of the car park for many years. The issue was only resolved when the Celtic Tiger was gone and nobody had access to money to build one.

Biggest problem in Clonmel nobody want to walk anywhere or any further than 100 m everyone wants to park outside the door of the shop, look a the double parking regularly on O'Connell and Gladstone Street.

To be fair to the planners in Clonmel, they resisted relative to other towns the development of out of town shopping centres.

• Advertisement

archtech wrote: »
    The problem with the proposed Arms multi-storey car park originally was it was too high, it would have been higher than the steeple of St Peter and Paul's Church. The site was too small and would have been a disaster if it had been built.

Regarding Mary Street, there used to be a legal problem which restricted building a car park above 2 storeys, which turned away many potential developers of the car park for many years. The issue was only resolved when the Celtic Tiger was gone and nobody had access to money to build one.

Biggest problem in Clonmel nobody want to walk anywhere or any further than 100 m everyone wants to park outside the door of the shop, look a the double parking regularly on O'Connell and Gladstone Street.

To be fair to the planners in Clonmel, they resisted relative to other towns the development of out of town shopping centres.

resisted ? so how come there is now 3 at least ?
    Ok - Dunnes on the Waterford road has always been there, and Tesco out manoeuvred them ( as they have done in many locations to be fair ), but there was never a need for the Showgrounds and nor was or is there a need for the Poppy fields other than to use waste land to build something on.

Advertisement