Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options
1315316317318319321»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Guys who don't play generally come back sooner. Wouldn't surprise me if Sherry played.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It can be harder for players on the fringe than players playing, just because they aren't playing it doesn't matter they aren't doing loads and loads of other stuff, also, being away from home for weeks on end can be mentally tiring, I'd much prefer for players to have a break at the start of the season rather than suffer burn out near the end. It also gives fringe players a great opportunity to start a season, win win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's important for guys to get a proper break and a proper preseason. I'm much more interested in Sherry being fit enough to play next April or May than having him for the opening rounds. It's win-win imo, we get a chance to see more of Henry and maybe Scannell (who was excellent for the u20's) or Rael.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Duncan Casey is in his second year of the academy. He'll be able to fill in for a few games as would Scannell. They had this in mind when putting the final squad together.

Brian Hayes (academy 3rd year) will be getting games this season. I think Brian Hayes might be better than Foley or Nagle. Foley still looks very skinny while Hayes offers ball carrying ability.

I'd also like to see more of the props getting games next season. Props need a run of games but I wasn't too impressed with Archer last season. He is powerful but has no technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads anyone know if and when the open training sessions will be on? And when and where will they take place??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I have a bad feeling that Nagle is wasting vital years on the peripheries of the munster squad that may ultimately stunt his development. There was so much talk about him 18 months ago but hasn't got a peek in since (I know he was injured for a bit). Couldn't he have been loaned to Connaught for one season? He would have gotten game time week in week out and Heineken cup exposure and would have returned battle ready to Munster.
    Also I'd love to see PO'M developed as a 7 and not a utility back row. That's what Munster need most and that's where he'd get game time for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Bassfish wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling that Nagle is wasting vital years on the peripheries of the munster squad that may ultimately stunt his development. There was so much talk about him 18 months ago but hasn't got a peek in since (I know he was injured for a bit). Couldn't he have been loaned to Connaught for one season? He would have gotten game time week in week out and Heineken cup exposure and would have returned battle ready to Munster.
    Also I'd love to see PO'M developed as a 7 and not a utility back row. That's what Munster need most and that's where he'd get game time for Ireland.

Nagle has spent the last 18months injured and bulking up. If you've seen pictures of him in recent months, you'd understand that he has been forsaking gametime in order to gain the mass required to make the step up. This coming season will decide the path of his career imo. He has the bulk, now he just needs the chances to build on his early promise. He'll either end the season tussling with DOC for a spot in the squad, or battling it out with Hayes and Foley for gametime.

Openside is probably our best stocked area in the squad. Although we don't have the established names, the squad is full of them. All of Ronan, Stander, TOD, Dougal and BOM would primarily play at 7. POM could be a very good 7, but I think he'll see most of his gametime at 6/8. Where he ends up will depend on DOC2.0's and Butler's progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

This is the most recent image I can find of him playing, in April 2012
    INPHO_00591519.jpg
    This is him playing in November 2010.
    INPHO_00472769.jpg

Can't really see much difference tbh, other than jerseys. But maybe I'm wrong. I seem to remember someone else saying they thought he bulked up too, but they were basing it on this image, which doesn't really show anything. Plus it was taken a month after the first picture. Unless he bulked up considerably in one month.
    casey-downey.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Nagle at the end of last season was a lot bigger than the one a season ago. He's worryingly prone to niggles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

In reality this is Nagle's year. He can go one of either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Does anyone else think it's suspicious that when players are "bulking up" that they disappear from the squad on matchday? Surely a manager would be more interested in keeping them game sharp as well as working the gym or are they wary of players testing positive for substances?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

It's because players can't train 4 playing & bulk up at d same time... That's why when players get injured they usually come back bigger as they hav d time 2 bulk up...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

buck65 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's suspicious that when players are "bulking up" that they disappear from the squad on matchday? Surely a manager would be more interested in keeping them game sharp as well as working the gym or are they wary of players testing positive for substances?

That's not it at all.

These players manage their bodies on long-term semesterised programs. During periods when they're playing every week they aren't killing themselves in the weights room, merely just doing maintenance lifting. All their muscle building work is done during the offseason etc. when they aren't being shackled by recovery periods.

But Nagle seems to have just had a lot of injury troubles. Foley seems like a better prospect to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

But Nagle seems to have just had a lot of injury troubles. Foley seems like a better prospect to me tbh.

I'm still not convinced by either of them. Brian Hayes could be better than both of them. Its too early to judge.

Nagle was hyped up a lot after one or two good games. The hype has calmed down a bit now. He looks a good athlete and the extra bulk might make him more competitive at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Due to the size of this thread and to help boards run more smoothly i'm closing this thread. Discussion can continue here.

apologies for any inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement