Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2012, 08:55   #361
tigger123

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishEyes19 View Post
I have no problem respecting people and their culture/religion, be it what it is. But it's annoying that the rules would not be bent if I was in a muslim country. But it is expected that rules are broken here or else "discrimination and racism" is shouted out.
What have the laws/rules/regulations in an entirely different country got to do with the rules which the Irish State apply here? Should all legislation be thought up on a tit-for-tat basis? I think you're missing the point entirely.
Advertisement
14-04-2012, 08:57   #362
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger123 View Post
Should all legislation be thought up on a tit-for-tat basis?
Yes it should. But only when it's funny.
14-04-2012, 09:01   #363
tigger123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Yes it should. But only when it's funny.
As long as it's for comedic value, I'll roll right in behind that
14-04-2012, 09:07   #364
Jester252

Not to sure if this had been said but on the street would a pic of muslim woman in her headscarves on the card not make it easier to match up with the real woman. I had to remove my glasses for my passport pic and everytime I'm in an airport I have to remove my glasses so they can make sure it is me.
I do however think that when in a land you should follow their laws to a certin amount.
14-04-2012, 09:36   #365
bluewolf
being awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell borton View Post
When people come to this country to avail of everything this society has to offer it is only fair that they play by the rules of it and make some compromises.
irish muslims don't exist no?
Advertisement
14-04-2012, 09:36   #366
looksee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester252 View Post
I do however think that when in a land you should follow their laws to a certin amount.
I wonder has anyone been saying this to their illegal relatives in the US?
14-04-2012, 10:12   #367
tbh
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofnep View Post
Proper order. Religion is not a get out of jail free card when it comes to observing law.
I agree with you 100%. Personal principle never trumps the law of the land, which must be observed by everyone. Like the household charge for example
Thanks from:
14-04-2012, 10:28   #368
KindOfIrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
Religion is funny.
Go to Bradford UK and say it there
14-04-2012, 10:48   #369
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfIrish View Post
Go to Bradford UK and say it there
I remember there were plans for a gay pride march in Jerusalem. Probably the fisrt time the three religious groups in the city agreed on something
Advertisement
14-04-2012, 13:04   #370
Fluorescence
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishkalucy View Post
Muslim women are not forced to wear Hijab, the the Quran states that there is no compulsion within the religion to wear it(2:256). They wear it to be seen as modest women. If a woman who had undergone chemotherapy or had alopecia wanted to wear a headscarf for this photo I.D would it be allowed?
I have no problem with their religious beliefs and believe everyone has the right to their religion but on this occasion feel that the hijab should be removed for the short period of time it would take for the photo to be taken

That's something that really bothers me too. The Quran only states women must dress modestly (which is fair enough, tbh). The hijab and niqab are cultural traditions, not religious practise. So there's no need for them to be exempt on the grounds of religion.
14-04-2012, 13:07   #371
later12
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataman View Post
They should be made remove it. If they are stopped at the side of the road the garda has no way of checking fingerprints.
The GNIB card is not an ID card. Banks are not even allowed to accept it as ID. It clearly states on the card "This is not an ID card".

You don't have to prove to random Gardai in the street that you are resident or have leave to remain in Ireland. If your identity needs to be established on the street, it can be done so by providing a passport which will also contain any relevant visas.

Last edited by later12; 14-04-2012 at 13:10.
14-04-2012, 13:13   #372
Old Tom
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasam View Post
Is wearing a balaclava part of non Muslim culture ?
If I go to Muslim countries I respect their culture. If they come to my place, I expect them to respect mine.

As simple as that.
14-04-2012, 13:28   #373
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescence View Post
That's something that really bothers me too. The Quran only states women must dress modestly (which is fair enough, tbh). The hijab and niqab are cultural traditions, not religious practise. So there's no need for them to be exempt on the grounds of religion.
I guess you'd best tell the 1.6 billion adherents of Islam that they got it wrong.

Remember, in Christianity there are many traditions which aren't mentioned it the gospels. It's the same in Islam.Many of the rules that are followed were developed afterwards. One of the biggest sources for Islam are the hadiths. These are stories about the prophet. Some are known to be true some are 4th hand stories that can't be verified. Whereas in Christianity the same can't be said and even the basics facts of Jesus life are in dispute.

But none the less, a lot of christian tradition comes from stuff like the acts of the apostles and the works of saints and scholars later on. take xmas day and easter for example.
They are however deeply rooted in Christian tradition and are very much a part of the religion. The same goes for the hijab. Even if it's not mentioned specifically in the Koran, there are other sources and it is now an important part of their religion.
(2) thanks from:
14-04-2012, 13:34   #374
later12
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
If I go to Muslim countries I respect their culture. If they come to my place, I expect them to respect mine.

As simple as that.
Hijab free GNIB cards are your "culture"?
(4) thanks from:
14-04-2012, 13:37   #375
Fluorescence
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
I guess you'd best tell the 1.6 billion adherents of Islam that they got it wrong.

Remember, in Christianity there are many traditions which aren't mentioned it the gospels. It's the same in Islam.Many of the rules that are followed were developed afterwards. One of the biggest sources for Islam are the hadiths. These are stories about the prophet. Some are known to be true some are 4th hand stories that can't be verified. Whereas in Christianity the same can't be said and even the basics facts of Jesus life are in dispute.

But none the less, a lot of christian tradition comes from stuff like the acts of the apostles and the works of saints and scholars later on. take xmas day and easter for example.
They are however deeply rooted in Christian tradition and are very much a part of the religion. The same goes for the hijab. Even if it's not mentioned specifically in the Koran, there are other sources and it is now an important part of their religion.
Fair enough.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion