Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mother wants me to take her to knock

Options
  • 18-03-2012 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Take her and enjoy it. She'll be dead someday and so will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Firstly, if she wants you to take her during the Summer, then it doesn't matter that you currently have a busy college course - the workload should either end outright or at least tail off during the Summer.

Secondly, I think you need to tell us, why you?
    Is it just you and her?
    Many older women might feel uncomfortable travelling on their own and want company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Knock her up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You can bring her, you don't have to pray. It will be a nice day out for both of ye, you might look back someday and appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

If I was you I'd sit her down and ask her why she wants to go - if it's just a case of noone to go with, the local church usually arranges groups together for like minded people. Suggest to her that maybe she might be more comfortable going to knock with other people who believe as opposed to being with you - someone who isn't enjoying themselves and has no interest.

If it's a case of her wanting to save your soul or some similar thinking just keep changing the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Dude, she's your mother, it won't kill you to do it - but if you really don't want to then sit her down and explain to her the objections you have to visiting a religious shrine, she will probably respect your honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.

Why mention being "flat out" in college if she has asked you to bring her during your summer holidays? Grow up and go with her.

Cén fáth a ndearna tú trácht ar a bheith "gnóthach" sa choláiste má d'iarr sí ort dul i rith laethanta saoire an tsamhradh? Fás suas agus téigh léi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

You misheard her, she was asking for cóck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Knock some sense into that crazy bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

She gave birth to you first and foremost, she provided for you for the better part of your life, going on the fact that she asked you im sure she may just want to spend quality time with you without an alternative motive, just some reasons there.............then on the other hand she could just be an under cover op/minion for the pope trying to brainwash you in which case you should send her straight to a home stating this hypothesis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

Ficheall wrote: »
    Cén fáth a ndearna tú trácht ar a bheith "gnóthach" sa choláiste má d'iarr sí ort dul i rith laethanta saoire an tsamhradh? Fás suas agus téigh léi.

Here, you, f*ck off with this gimmick. There's an Irish forum here so keep your cupla focail bullshít confined to there and don't expose the rest of us to a language that the majority here have already expressed they have no interest in or indeed want to see the death of.

Mod note: Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Knock her up.

Sounds like his mother is fairly knock'd up already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I have never been to Knock but I doubt that there is a catholic lynch mob waiting to convert you if you go there. Make your mammy happy it will make you feel all nice inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Okay first of all she's not that old, early 50's so she is perfectly capable of being Independant and going on her own.

The only reason I mentioned being flat out in college is because college work is the only thing that I am thinking about at the moment, the summer isn't even a blip on my radar.

Finally as for spending quality time with her, I ask her to go places and do things all the time, but she just wants to sit home like some auld one and whinge, so what I am supposed to drop everything at the first sign of her showing an interest in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Agree to go as long as she pretends for the weekend that you were an immaculate conception. The locals will worship you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Just bring her? I'm not religious but if my Ma asked me to bring her to knock I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Man up and do what your mother says. Dont be a brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Go with her you might find some time for thought and reflection, plus you get to spend some close time with your Mam which is always good. I wouldn't let the fact that your atheist deter you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

OP,are you talking daytrip or weekender?

OP,are you talking daytrip or weekender?

I honestly don't know, there would be no chance of the weekend but the day trip sounds just as bad, because I know that she will try and push the religious stuff on me, which I abhor, and by the time we are driving home I will be tired and sick of listening to it do asking her to stop will end up in a fight because she will get in a huff. It just sounds like a nightmare tbh.

Oh and btw, for the posters telling me to man up, not really possible in this case as I am a girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Do it OP. Some quality time with your parents is something that you will treasure when they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Seriously OP Just bring your mam to Knock. My mam is dead and there's not 1 second that I don't think of stuff like why didn't I do this or that with her. She's done so much for you so do this for her. It's not like as soon as you reach Knock you'll disintegrate because of the sheer holiness of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Here, you, f*ck off with this gimmick. There's an Irish forum here so keep your cupla focail bullshít confined to there and don't expose the rest of us to a language that the majority here have already expressed they have no interest in or indeed want to see the death of.

You get mad at someone speaking a bit of Irish that is quite easy to understand (the English translation is written out just above it ffs), yet earlier in the thread you told the op that he should basically go and fúck his mother.

You are a strange fúcker.
    You misheard her, she was asking for cóck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You could make a romcom about it and call it Knocked Up. Seth Rogan could play you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It's only Knock. Not a week in Lourdes or Medjugorge, Not a black tea and bread retreat in Lough Derg. There's pubs there, there's shops that sell newspapers. Take her to Knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Take her OP and be more tolerant about other peoples beliefs.

I am an atheist but I have 2 godchildren and I go to mass for the usual occasions its no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Does she support your college life, in other words are you sponging off her. If you are, then it's pay-back time.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Seriously OP Just bring your mam to Knock. My mam is dead and there's not 1 second that I don't think of stuff like why didn't I do this or that with her. She's done so much for you so do this for her. It's not like as soon as you reach Knock you'll disintegrate because of the sheer holiness of the place.

I know I must sound like a complete and utter bitch, especially as it is now mothers day. I just don't want to say yes and then when we end up in a big fight because I don't want to be there or she keeps pushing religious stuff on me making my resolve to pretend that I actually do want to be there fall to pieces.

Oh and thanks for making me laugh with those last couple of lines . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't see what your religious beliefs have to do with it. It's for her, not you.
    I'm not religious but I've been both a best man and a godfather in Catholic ceremonies for family members, as the roles are important to them, and their choosing me thus makes them important to me.

It seems to me like you just want to make a point about being non-religious, but I don't really see what the point of that would be. I doubt you're going to convert her to secularism at this stage, so just get on with it and bring her.

You realised that it's in English too?

You don't have to read the Irish part, and it doesn't affect you, so why pretend it bothers you, when it couldn't possible annoy any normal, rational person?

• Advertisement

johnayo wrote: »

Does she support your college life, in other words are you sponging off her. If you are, then it's pay-back time.

Ha I wish, I pay for all my personal expenses, college, car, clothes, plus half of all household bills. I haven't taken money of either of my parents since I was 16.

Advertisement