Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Fantasy Draft

Options
  • 07-05-2011 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

After the success of the European version of this I am starting this one very early to try and encourage more people to join in

Rules
    1. After everyone has signed up i will do a random draw and each person will be given your pick number
    2.There will be 12 rounds in which each person will get to pick an athlete of there choice one at a time from first pick all the way down. Once an athlete has been picked no one else can pick the same athlete eg. (1st pick is Bolt so no one else can select Bolt).
    3. To make it fair every round the order in which a picker chooses their athlete is reversed i.e first pick in Rd.1 is last pick in Rd. 2
    4. Each athlete will be rated on their positioning and given points in accordance
    5. 10 best scores count
    6. If two people end up with same total points the 11th athlete will come into play as a Tie Breaker and if still level rolls on to the 12th

(For anyone who is a little confused here is Last Years Thread)

This is open to anyone you dont have to be an expert on athletics and is designed to be a bit of a laugh and a bit of banter.

I am giving people plenty of warning and listing the closing date as the end of May (31st @ 12pm) so we can start to get down to the rounds of picking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

Cool count me in!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

I'll have a go aswell!!

I was looking through the euro champs version from last year and it looks like a real good laugh, good work ecoli, hope it works equally well this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I was pipped narrowly for gold last year so am coming back for the ultimate prize this year. Count me in.

Is it not a little early to start this though? I mean, lots can happen between now and the championships. Sure lots of top americans may not make their own team, like Lolo Jones 2 years ago.

I thought last year worked well as we did the draft close to the championships so we could go by recent form rather than just reputation.

In any case I'm in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Will have a crack at it, can't do as bad as last year;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

04072511 wrote: »

Is it not a little early to start this though? I mean, lots can happen between now and the championships. Sure lots of top americans may not make their own team, like Lolo Jones 2 years ago.

I thought last year worked well as we did the draft close to the championships so we could go by recent form rather than just reputation.

I know it seems a bit early alright. The reason i put it up now is to try and generate a bit more interest. Also with including 4 more rounds i just trying to give ample time for selection (something along the lines of 1 round every week)
    If we get 10+ people doing it then it could take this long for selections and starting by mid June could create a bit of interest as you have to mix reputation with form as the weeks go on so could create a bit more thought

Again I will see what the numbers are like and if there arent too many may push the closing date and hold off on the selection rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Count me in too. I cant believe i got caught in this last year. I have to say it made a lot of the field events more interesting.

Quite a funny moment in Barca last year when 04072511 shouts out "your in my fantasy athletics team" to a russian just yards from her as she walked past us on the track. :)

Quite a funny moment in Barca last year when 04072511 shouts out "your in my fantasy athletics team" to a russian just yards from her as she walked past us on the track. :)

I think you've got my gender wrong there!!!!

I think you've got my gender wrong there!!!!

The russian woman field eventer i meant!

The russian woman field eventer i meant!

Good oul craic.

Must do the same in Daegu this year! Also I'll need to track down Mr Ukov again! "Yo IVVVAAANNNN. IVAN throw us a wave will ya". The poor lad looked terrified!

I also fully intend to boo a certain female 100m runner who is making a mockery of the event, but I will keep her unnamed as don't want to break the charter with regards doping speculation :)

• Advertisement

Quick Bump incase people missed this closing date is on 31st of this month. MIght be a good idea to keep an eye on the Diamond League as quite a few starting their seasons here

I'm guessing the selections can be held off for a bit now as the numbers aren't too big?

Dan man wrote: »
    I'm guessing the selections can be held off for a bit now as the numbers aren't too big?

Was kinda hoping there would be more interest. Gonna try extend it another 3 weeks. Hopefully now that the season is underway might generate a bit more interest. Closing date 26th June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Put me down please ecoli.

Runjb
    Ecoli
    Dan man
    Longjump
    Brianderunner
    RoymcC
    Pherekydes

Here is who is in so far. Even if we get as many as last year it still should present a good laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is this a fantasy draft of A/R/T members competing at the world championships? :cool:

G-Money wrote: »
    Is this a fantasy draft of A/R/T members competing at the world championships? :cool:

Yup. You not throwing your hat in the ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

ecoli wrote: »
    Yup. You not throwing your hat in the ring?

Might do, need to read the thread from last time to understand what it is.

Good idea to extend it a couple of weeks, but as you say it will be a laugh regardless of numbers taking part. I'm finding it hard enough already settling on potential selections....throw in another couple of Diamond Leagues and I'll be totally fecked! I'm particularly looking forward to the men's 110m Hurdles...so many great competitors and with Liu Xiang promising in his return it is turning into a must-watch, even more so than the 100m IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I saw the thread but forgot all about it. :o

Put me in.

• Advertisement

Anyone else up for the challenge??

Just bumping this thread back to top page, hopefully it might generate some more interest before the closing date.

Was kinda hoping there would be more interest. Gonna try extend it another 3 weeks. Hopefully now that the season is underway might generate a bit more interest. Closing date 26th June

Will the date still be 26th June? If so, I better brush up on my field events!!

Right lads deadline has been and gone and we arent getting anymore interest so i leaving it at the eight we have

Here is the draw for round of picks. Again your placing on this round is reverse for the second round of picks so if you are first this round you will be last in the next round

Brianderunner
    RoymcC
    Dan man
    Runjb
    Ecoli
    Pherekydes
    Longjump

Not gonna set a time limit to how long to pick however will start to prompt if there is no pick for a few days. Plan is to get the twelve rounds with a few days at the end to make last mine swaps for injury reasons etc

So Brian your up

Right lads deadline has been and gone and we arent getting anymore interest so i leaving it at the eight we have

Here is the draw for round of picks. Again your placing on this round is reverse for the second round of picks so if you are first this round you will be last in the next round

Brianderunner
    RoymcC
    Dan man
    Runjb
    Ecoli
    Pherekydes
    Longjump

Not gonna set a time limit to how long to pick however will start to prompt if there is no pick for a few days. Plan is to get the twelve rounds with a few days at the end to make last mine swaps for injury reasons etc

So Brian your up

I wonder who he is going to pick?:rolleyes:

No sign of Rineanna, myflipflops or Thirtyfoot/Tingle? Would have thought they'd be definites for this. Are they off serving drug bans or something? :)

Mr. Usain Bolt please :p

No sign of Rineanna, myflipflops or Thirtyfoot/Tingle? Would have thought they'd be definites for this. Are they off serving drug bans or something? :)

In Prep for London next year dont wanna peak too soon the like Lasse Viren only come out in Olympic years:D

Brianderunner| Usain Bolt
    04072511|
    RoymcC|
    Dan man|
    Runjb|
    Ecoli|
    Pherekydes|
    Longjump|

Allyson Felix for me please for 2 reasons:

1) The fact she is doing both the 200 and 400 doubles my chances of getting the maximum 8 points.

and

2) She's absolutely fecking gorgeous!! :D

• Advertisement

||
    Brianderunner| Usain Bolt
    04072511| Allyson Felix
    RoymcC|
    Dan man|
    Runjb|
    Ecoli|
    Pherekydes|