Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Transposers/Relays upgraded to DTT?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

The Cush wrote: »
    [*]Castletownbere Kerry 55V

Not Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Apogee wrote: »
    Not Cork?

Information originally copied from http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites.

Mullaghanish Cork or Kerry? (Kerry Co. Council for planning permission)
    Clonmel Tipp or Waterford?
    Woodcock Hill Clare or Limerick?

Site Location or Transmitter Coverage?

Not sure about the area down there but in some places the TX is located in a county outside its intended area. Holywell Hill is in Donegal but is basically there to serve Derry. Woodcock Hill, despite serving Limerick city, is in Clare.

Mullagahanish is in Cork.

Mullagahanish is in Cork.

Planning permission for the mast upgrade was given by Kerry Co Council, planning no. 071965

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

Kilkeaveragh 47V, Castletownbere 55V and Casla (RnaG) 45V. Will they be able to switch on the remaining 7 sites by launch day? (May 11th?)

If I'm not mistaken picked up Kilduff at parents place in N Tipperary last weekend and they are picking it up most of the time since at 52H. No other 52H transmitter site near so it must be Kilduff surely?

Presumably this is testing. If so surely that will make just six more to wait for.

Planning permission for the mast upgrade was given by Kerry Co Council, planning no. 071965

I've been up to the site a couple of times. It's in Cork. Look at an OSI map if you don't believe me.

Both Mullaghanish and Castletownbere are correctly listed as being in Cork here:
    http://www.geocities.ws/corkradio/tvch.html

Dubluc wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken picked up Kilduff at parents place in N Tipperary last weekend and they are picking it up most of the time since at 52H. No other 52H transmitter site near so it must be Kilduff surely?

Presumably this is testing. If so surely that will make just six more to wait for.

I agree has to be Kilduff, not officially on yet according to the coverage checker. Monaghan was reported testing some time ago also, also not on yet.

I've been up to the site a couple of times. It's in Cork. Look at an OSI map if you don't believe me.

I'm not disagreeing with you only pointing out that Kerry Co Council granted the planning permission for the mast upgrade.

I'm confused. The Cush is correct, but I was always under the belief that the TX site is in Cork, at least that's what any map told me.

• Advertisement

RTÉNL also list Mullaghanish as Kerry in their list of analogue transmission sites
    MULLAGHANISH Kerry D * G * 27 ® 31 ® 220/375 BIII & UHF A

On the printed OSI map it shows the site in Cork.

But having just looked at online mapviewer, the mast would be actually on the Kerry side - you move from Cork into Kerry as you walk the road from the gate to the site. The new mast is also 'north' of the old one.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,521438,581920,4,10

RTÉNL also list Mullaghanish as Kerry in their list of analogue transmission sites

And lists Castletownbere in Cork. So we were both wrong right! ;)

And lists Castletownbere in Cork. So we were both wrong right! ;)
    As I said in my first post on this (#153) above, the information came from watty's techtir site which was updated following RTÉ's presentation to the ISAA in late Feb.

Typo by watty or inaccurate information from the sample brochure presented at the presentation?

Dunno, but in the case of Mullaghanish, I've never heard it referred to as being in Kerry - always in Cork. Even on RTÉ announcements. Despite mapviewer showing otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Clifden Kilduff and Monaghan are testing.

There sure are a lot of white spaces (no coverage) on the RTÉNL coverage checker map in the SW of the country even with the new transmitter sites switched on today. Let hope Saorsat gets off the starting block.

Anyone know what coverage prediction parameters RTÉNL are using for the coverage checker? Pre or post launch or ASO power levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

just got this reply from RTENL after enquiring about DTT from Arranmore Donegal

Aranmore will be on the air by the end of May at the latest, but I’d hope earlier than that. The disruption to the analogue service will be minimal. Aranmore DTT will be on channel 47.

Regards,

note that they are saying now channel 47 not 44 as has been previously listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Clareman08

I’m on the West Coast of Clare and have the usual 2 UHF aerial configuration around here – Group B vertical for RTE/TG4 from Lahinch and Group A horizontal for a snowy TV3 from Mullaghanish. (The main Maghera transmitter is totally blocked). For the past few months I have been getting an occasionally good DTT signal (sound only – no picture) from Mullaghanish on my MPEG2 TV.

Picked up a Walker WP12DTB-R Saorview box recently to see what was going on. OK – as expected I got a picture from Mullaghanish about half of the time. Thanks to Sponge Bob, I decided to try Clifden to which I have a long line of sight over the ocean. Swung the Group A aerial around, changed it to vertical and am now getting a signal level of about 90% and quality of 100% on Channel 26. Great picture and sound – TG4 sound has been badly distorted from Lahinch for a long time, so it’s great to hear the old trad music clearly again! However, too soon to say if the signal level will drop with the weather.

Strange that Lahinch is not due to be upgraded to DTT. It covers a wide area (Lahinch, Miltown Malbay, Spanish Point) with a vast number of holiday homes. An aerial man could make a fortune around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's the analogue channels from Clifden like with the new setup?

You could use the Group B aerial to pick up Casla which is closer to you than Clifden and may offer better signal strength, assuming the area where the Cliffs of Moher are aren't in the way. Also when the Knockanore site near Ballybunion is switched on for DTT, it might work better in case your existing signal does drop out with weather conditions etc. It's radio only at the moment but a good stereo signal on 89.2FM would at least suggest reasonable DTT too.

• Advertisement

Clareman08 wrote: »
    I’m on the West Coast of Clare and have the usual 2 UHF aerial configuration around here – Group B vertical for RTE/TG4 from Lahinch and Group A horizontal for a snowy TV3 from Mullaghanish. (The main Maghera transmitter is totally blocked). For the past few months I have been getting an occasionally good DTT signal (sound only – no picture) from Mullaghanish on my MPEG2 TV.

Picked up a Walker WP12DTB-R Saorview box recently to see what was going on. OK – as expected I got a picture from Mullaghanish about half of the time. Thanks to Sponge Bob, I decided to try Clifden to which I have a long line of sight over the ocean. Swung the Group A aerial around, changed it to vertical and am now getting a signal level of about 90% and quality of 100% on Channel 26. Great picture and sound – TG4 sound has been badly distorted from Lahinch for a long time, so it’s great to hear the old trad music clearly again! However, too soon to say if the signal level will drop with the weather.

Strange that Lahinch is not due to be upgraded to DTT. It covers a wide area (Lahinch, Miltown Malbay, Spanish Point) with a vast number of holiday homes. An aerial man could make a fortune around here!

Mullaghanish is on reduced power at the moment but from reports here on the forum it may have at times been transmitting at increased power and receivable in the Aran Islands
    By the way Des told us he was amazed and continues to be amazed at the unexpected coverage of dtt in the sense that you either have it or you don't and when you do it can be far away in places not expected.

Mullaghanish for example is giving good coverage way out in the western part of the arran islands.

All transmitters away from the border will go full power from the official launch of Saorview (May 11th?) according to Black Briar who attended an RTÉ Saorview trade event recently, so Mullaghanish may be receivable again and Clifden should increase power also
    I attended a trade information meeting in Dublin for saorview this morning.
    We had a long chat with Mary Curtis,a lovely lady so I don't want to hear another bad word said :D
    Ray McGuire was also there as was Des who was very interesting,we spoke to him for ages,their tech head at RTENL.

Also another important bit of information...Most tx's apart from cairn hill are not on full power at the moment.
    Cairn hill is currently on it's max power for DTT as they are testing equipment in the Republic and NI.
    All other transmitters except those with NI overspill will be going full power from saorviews official launch date [may 6th ?] which in most cases will mean a 6db increase in received signal.
    That increase includes all the non border area in fill sites such as Arklow,Gorey,Suir valley etc.
    So expect an improvement in reception there in fringe areas.

Clifden is only testing at the moment according to Sponge Bob above but should be officially online soon, Casla (45V) went live this week.

Lahinch was never on the list of sites to be upgraded to DTT. Only 51 transmitters will be used for DTT with approx 98% population coverage. To achieve the same population coverage with analogue approx 170 sites were required. A large saving in day to day running costs and DTT is transmitted at lower power also.

Hi tbc, Clifden analogue picture since I set it up yesterday morning appears reasonably good but "slightly snowy", say about 70-80% of perfect. I'll check in again when the weather changes back to normal.

I had a look at Casla yesterday by twisting the Group B aerial towards it (just as well the roof is low!). Analogue is very weak though as it is blocked from me by the Cliffs of Moher as you mentioned and no digital signal was detected on Channel 45. I'll certainly give Knockanore a try when it comes on air, although there is some high ground in the way.

Anyone know what sort of power these new transmitters on the west coast are putting out?

Sorry The Cush, your post crossed with my last one.

Yes, I did see Mullaghanish DTT blasting in at 100% on the signal strength indicator of my Bravia MPEG2 TV at times during the past few months. This didn't seem to depend on the weather conditions at the time, so it looks like Mullaghanish will still be an option here when it goes on full power.

Cliden is Group A Channel 26 Vertical where Mullagh is Group A Ch 21 Horizontal.

Mullaghanish due a large power boost quite soon ( May I think) which will certainly improve matters for DTT reception. I would reconsider my Mullagh options at the end of May and then swivel that group A to Clifden ( vertical) if that were not usable in heavy weather.

Note Clifden and Mullagh are same group different polarisation. Your Group B aerial is correctly polarised but not optimal for Group A by any means.

We should revisit this chat after Clifden is launched next month...and while it is bucketing rain in the wesht, this good weather is wrecking everything :D

Is TG4 analogue from Clifden better than TG4 from Mullaghanish?

Start praying for rain!

Tbc, TG4 Channel 32 analogue picture from Clifden noticeably stronger at the moment than from Mullaghanish, but left sound channel distorted as with Lahinch (Mullaghanish sound always good).

I don't know if relays can offer Nicam sound or not but try turning off nicam (stereo) sound on your TV, that should help even if you only have mono sound.

Tbc, I tried various mono options and different receivers in the past and it still sounded distorted. The TG4 sound problem used to be more intermittent and was fixed from time to time after I reported the fault to RTE/TG4.

Anyway, it was never a big deal for me as I could tune to Mullaghanish which always had good sound at the expense of a fairly snowy picture. Now that we are gone digital the problem is eliminated!

• Advertisement

I was told that Casla only broadcasts east or west and that the signal to the Aran Islands will come from Maghera or Clifden. I think Clifden may be more powerful than originally envisaged.

By the way here is the original DTT rollout and coverage plan as it was supposed to look at the end of March 2011. It has changed quite a lot since 2007 but not at the expense of providing demonstrably worse coverage.

Advertisement