Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2011 ... For discussion of all things related to this exam.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

I have a full set of the GAMSAT booklets, completely un-marked and un-used!!

Priced at Stg £58 + P&P, will sell for €30. Living in Dublin for collection/meet up.

PM me if you're interested :)

Edit: having been unemployed for almost a year I'm unfortunately not in a position to give them away as below. A good saving still but clearly free is a better offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

I have a full set of the GAMSAT booklets, completely un-marked and un-used!!

Priced at Stg £58 + P&P, i'm giving them away for free to anyone who wants them.

PM me if you're interested :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Legal

I have notes from GAMSAT prep course in Dublin. They are practically unmarked and in great condition. They cover all three sections in detail and coming from a non science background they really got me through the exam.

1. Physical Chemistry course notes
    2. Organic Chemistry course notes
    3. Biology course notes
    4. Physics course notes
    5. Simulated Gamsat question papers section I
    6. Explanation papers on Simulated Gamsat papers section I.
    7. Sample Essays sectionII
    8. Simulated Gamsat papers section III
    9. UKCAT "600 UKCAT practice questions" by ISC Medical
    10. Biology for Dummies
    11. Less stress more success Physics (Leaving Cert higher level)

PM me if interested and for price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidorourke

Hello,

My name is David and i wont to get a small group together to preparing for the GAMSAT in March 2011,Dublin. I recently moved to London and for this reason all communication will be via email/skype. Anyone interested in getting prep started then give me a shout. i am sitting the London GAMSAT tomorrow with minimum study as a trial run.

thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

NeverLupus wrote: »
    I am intending to sit GAMSAT next March. I did this year, with very little (i.e nothing apart from the night before) prep and got 52. The science section let me down. I am hoping to study in the UK but want to apply for grad med in Ireland aswell, so I need to give GAMSAT my best shot.
    If anyone is interested in starting a study group PM and let me know:)
    I am in Dublin!

Hey guys,i was just wondering,what exactly is the gamsat?Like,is it similar to the hpat in(allegedly) testing logical reasoning,problem solving etc or is preparation a big benefit?
    Also,what are the chances of getting a place via gamsat?Id assume once most people finish their primary degree,they want to start working instead of going back to college?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hauliesleap

Anybody know anything about this home study course? Is it as good as Des O'Neill's course?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

briankirby wrote: »
    Hey guys,i was just wondering,what exactly is the gamsat?Like,is it similar to the hpat in(allegedly) testing logical reasoning,problem solving etc or is preparation a big benefit?
    Also,what are the chances of getting a place via gamsat?Id assume once most people finish their primary degree,they want to start working instead of going back to college?
    thanks

Hi Brian,

The GAMSAT is similar to the HPAT in that it does test the elements you've listed above.

However the big difference is in the structure of the graduate entry courses and this determines the format of the GAMSAT. Most of the graduate courses are structured on the basis that you have a certain minimal knowledge of chemistry, biology and physics before going in, in addition to the skills tested by the HPAT.

This allows the course to be structured for graduates so that it is, on average, 1-2 years shorter than the undergraduate entry route.

The application process works through the CAO system as well, I'm assuming you're Irish here? The minimum entry criteria tends to be a 2.1 in your undergraduate degree and then the people with the highest GAMSAT scores get the first places in the relevant institutions and it works backwards from there.

You definitely need to prepare for the GAMSAT unless you've recently come from a science background and would be comfortable with chemistry, biochemistry, physics and biology. And that's just Section 1.

There's also an essay section, 2 essays in 1 hour, and a section that pulls from verbal, linguistic and logical reasoning and any number of sources/topics.

Your best bet is to get the GAMSAT booklets and work through them until you get a feel for the exam. At the same time you'll need to start brushing up on, or in some cases learning from scratch, all the science components which take up 50% of the overall mark. You'll find a lot of info, advice and study topics in the earlier parts of these threads for help

The advantages of going through the graduate route are the shorter course, similar age group within the class and the specifically structured modules/topics for graduate level.

In answer to your last question, IMO the majority of graduate entrants have pursued careers or further study prior to coming into the medicine course. Although that said there are a number who come in the same year they finish their undergraduate.

Once you've decided to pursue medicine as a career the best bet is to get stuck in as soon as possible because it's going to be a long road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 youngheart

Does anyone need some GAMSAT revision material?? I have the blue green and orange ACER revision and practice books and Griffths Gamsat Review?

Willing to post if necessary but you will have to cover the postage charge as the griffith book is printed and 190 pages long...

Hi, Stoptalking. I am preparing GAMSAT 2011 and so far I only bought "Des O'Neill's SR home study". If you are not going to use the revision material it would be nice of you to pass on to me. I am not young but I try to find a job I will enjoy for next 15 years. Cheers! Younghear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 youngheart

Legal wrote: »
    I have notes from GAMSAT prep course in Dublin. They are practically unmarked and in great condition. They cover all three sections in detail and coming from a non science background they really got me through the exam.

1. Physical Chemistry course notes
    2. Organic Chemistry course notes
    3. Biology course notes
    4. Physics course notes
    5. Simulated Gamsat question papers section I
    6. Explanation papers on Simulated Gamsat papers section I.
    7. Sample Essays sectionII
    8. Simulated Gamsat papers section III
    9. UKCAT "600 UKCAT practice questions" by ISC Medical
    10. Biology for Dummies
    11. Less stress more success Physics (Leaving Cert higher level)

PM me if interested and for price.
    Hi, legal! what is the price to get the material you have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fortuna22

All

Just thought I'd ask for any suggestions: I've got 64 :) on the GAMSAT and am wondering whether this will get me a place and if so where ?? Have an M.Sc though it was quite a while back - how does one go about finding out ?? Any comments appreciated !

Fortuna . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 cece

Hi I have GAMSAT materials for sale - ideal for someone who has no science background.

Acer Sample Questions - Good condition, some pen marks.
    Acer Practice Questions - Good condition.
    Ozimed Papers 1 - 10 - Excellent condition.

Organic Chemistry for Dummies - Excellent condition.
    Physics for Dummies - Excellent condition.
    Biology (Campbell, Reece, 7th Ed.) - Very good condition, some marks.

PM me if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wings2010

Okay so I'm new to this Boards business but I'm planning to register for the March GAMSAT...I see a few posts from people selling study material. I'm interested so if anybody is still looking to sell anything, a PM would be great! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jess_112

hey everyone!

anyone interested in forming a study group in and around the cork city area??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danarazzi

hey, i've just started getting notes/books together, seeing that I don't know anybody else sitting the exam, it would be handy to have someone to talk to so about it so that when it is gettin closer so that I don't go insane....what's your story?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Sat the exam with no prep last March. Got 57. Sat it again in September with a good bit of prep and felt like a zombie doing it. Not too hopeful of surpassing 57 this time. Looking for UCD. I'll be starting prep again in the middle of January. I've got Des' notes, All the Ozimed papers, the Acer papers, all the MCAT Examkrackers stuff and a wealth of 'how not to do the GAMSAT' experience. Looking for a study buddy or two.

Only hot girls need apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bogg2010

looking for a study group ,dublin area , has the complete gamsat home study pack , and can share materials, anywhere in dublin is ok .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Yillan wrote: »
    Sat the exam with no prep last March. Got 57. Sat it again in September with a good bit of prep and felt like a zombie doing it. Not too hopeful of surpassing 57 this time. Looking for UCD. I'll be starting prep again in the middle of January. I've got Des' notes, All the Ozimed papers, the Acer papers, all the MCAT Examkrackers stuff and a wealth of 'how not to do the GAMSAT' experience. Looking for a study buddy or two.

Only hot girls need apply

LOL good luck to ya! had a 57 myself on the first go and brought it up with a s%&tload of study. hopefully September's result will be a pleasant surprise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

Sat the exam in London in September... was also like a zombie during the exam. I don't think it went very well but just by sitting it you get a real feel for the exam and know where you need to work and what is important. I'm glad I did the trial run and you never know, I might get lucky with a decent score that might take some pressure off. I doubt I did well enough in London so looking forward to March and giving it a better shot. Interested in a study group in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

right i out this in Gamsat 2010 thread originally... I have since corrected myself..

so after years of debate and wondering should I would I go back and do med, I handed in my notice yesterday morning at work. not a bloody easy thing to do, I'm on a graduate programme with the biggest Engineering Contractor in the UK at the mo. But its done now and I am bleeding chuffed!

Moving back to Galway in a month to study so anybody that would be interested in a study group type thing I'd love to hear from. It could protect all our sanities!

Get in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I hope to study the GAMSAT in 2012 and just wondering if anyone has used the gurumethod study kit, the one thats around €400, I know its expensive but if its good then I'd be willing to get it due to not having studied science since LC and having a maths rather than an english background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Choco99

I hope to study the GAMSAT in 2012 and just wondering if anyone has used the gurumethod study kit, the one thats around €400, I know its expensive but if its good then I'd be willing to get it due to not having studied science since LC and having a maths rather than an english background.

I'm in final year in grad med & a few people in my class paid €400 for that course. I think out of the people who did it more got rejected than accepted into medicine so it's hard to say it's definitely worth it. Then again, if you do grad med you'll owe about 100 grand at the end so €400 will mean nothing to you!
    Also, I did a degree in chemistry and science was my worst section of the GAMSAT! My best was the English part even though I'm useless at it. I think timing was definitely the most important thing for doing the GAMSATs & not to panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 acg

hey guys.. did anyone do the gradmed full prep course? and if so, did you find it useful? im from a non-science background so im literally starting from scratch, got chemistry and organic chemistry for dummies as well as the gold standard book, which doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot on this thread... i have the ACER papers too but am trying to save them to use as practice tests closer to the exam! im looking for more questions but have heard mixed reviews of the ozimed ones, can anyone recommend good prep questions apart from the acer materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Examkrackers for MCAT do books of 1001 questions in biology, chem, physics, etc- I have a couple but haven't started going through them just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Hi everyone :) Graduate Med is something I've been thinking about maybe for the last year and I was just wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me? I'm in 3rd year of a degree and hope to get at least a 2.I so I should be ok in that regard. I'm going to hopefully take the GAMSAT in Sept 2011, would this mean I could then apply for entry for 2012? When I finish my degree I'll be 21, is this a decent age to start med? And just a question about the fees...how long roughly will they take to pay off? Does this mean that I'll be tied to Ireland until they're paid off? Would grad medicine be classed as a postgrad course so I could get a grant to cover part of the fees? Or is a huge loan the only option here? I'm just really worried I'm going to be 25 with a huge loan! It's a big risk to take. Thanks for any answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

JC06 wrote: »
    And just a question about the fees...how long roughly will they take to pay off? ..... I'm just really worried I'm going to be 25 with a huge loan! It's a big risk to take. Thanks for any answers :)

Hi, sorry I can't help with all of your questions.

However, I too would be worried about paying off debts. Some of the hospitals in Ireland do not keep to the contract regarding number of hours worked and payment for the hours worked.

There are plenty of unfilled NCHD posts because doctors have moved abroad because of unpaid hours and working conditions in general. Currently this means that there is lots of extra overtime to cover for this situation, but you may not be paid for doing it. This is both exhausting and demoralising.

I have a family member who is a current intern and has not been paid for all their overtime. This resulted in them having to approach their bank to renegotiate their bank loan. It came as a shock to them especially as they did not know until they got their pay slip. Luckily the loan is small in comparison to what you would be facing.

Hopefully this situation will change, but as you said it is a big risk to take :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sazymc89

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me the minmum GAMSAT entry requirement scores for 2010? I'm aiming to sit it in March 2011. I know that UCD accepted people with a score of 60*....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

sazymc89 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me the minmum GAMSAT entry requirement scores for 2010? I'm aiming to sit it in March 2011. I know that UCD accepted people with a score of 60*....

RCSI 63*
    UCD 60*
    UCC 59*
    UL 57

Im sitting on 59 at the moment but I think Il do it again in March just in case I do better. Im hoping 59 will be enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 laurielu

So Ive finally made up my mind and decided to sit the gamsats despite the fact that if I get a spot I will in all liklihood be severly in debt!

Just wondering are there any study groups within the dublin area? or if anyone has materials that they are willing to sell!

thanks a mill

L :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nosilla

Hey,
    I'd be interested in forming a study group for the March sitting of the GAMSAT, I live in Dublin. I plan to start studying after Christmas as I have college exams up until then.
    Just wondering has anyone heard much about the intensive revision courses in NCI? I've heard it's expensive but has anyone heard if it's worthwhile?
    I was also thinking about going to Dr.Ferdinand's Science Review in Dublin (8-9th January), has anyone heard good reports on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

What's your background? I didn't use a prep course and, to my knowledge, neither did most of the people who got RCSI last year. Most of the reports I've heard about them have been negative. Your best bet is just to put in the hours at home and save yourself a fortune. A good home study course will stand to you though (Des O'Neills etc.).
    I'm skeptical about Dr. Ferdinands courses. The only bit of feedback I found on him was here. I don't get why they keep stressing the fact that he is a doctor. Being a doctor in the US doesn't require GAMSAT. I also don't like the fact that he has people plugging his courses on nearly every GAMSAT forum I've seen. It seems desperate. I used Des O'Neills home prep course and it was very good. See my review on the first page of this thread if you want to know more about that course.

Advertisement