Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2011 ... For discussion of all things related to this exam.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

danthefan wrote: »
    If you sit the GAMSAT in September (this is in the UK I assume?), surely that can't get you a place in a course in Ireland in 2010, can it?

Nope, but 2011 and 2012 you betcha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

MicraBoy wrote: »
    Nope, but 2011 and 2012 you betcha!

Figured as much, thanks.

Just how difficult is it to get a place in UCD or RCSI, i.e. get a score of 61 or 62 or whatever it is? I'd have to stay in Dublin for financial reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Just how difficult is it to get a place in UCD or RCSI, i.e. get a score of 61 or 62 or whatever it is? I'd have to stay in Dublin for financial reasons.

Speak for myself when I say it's f*****g hard

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Just how difficult is it to get a place in UCD or RCSI, i.e. get a score of 61 or 62 or whatever it is?
    That's a pretty hard question to answer. It depends on your ability and the amount of effort you're willing to put in. Check out this thread to see what level of prep will likely be required.

Biologic wrote: »
    That's a pretty hard question to answer. It depends on your ability and the amount of effort you're willing to put in. Check out this thread to see what level of prep will likely be required.

As I was posting I was thinking to myself "this is a daft question" but posted it anyway, sorry on that count, and thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

I think how hard it is depends on ability, background and specific aptitude for these kinds of tests (as opposed to aptitude for medicine!) - e.g. do you stay calm under pressure, can you speed read, have you got a well developed sense of pragmatism and probably most importantly have you got a good sense of your own strengths and weaknesses and ability to play to this?

I got a 64 on 5 or 6 weeks prep - quite possibly got lucky - but I reckon what got me through was a natural enjoyment of reading, debate and discussion and above average numeracy skills - I have no background (or knowledge lol) of organic chemistry or biology and factored this pragmatically into my preparation. One area where I think there might be very high correlation of good GAMSAT performance is with LC English - if you are a very high achiever in this, I think you are going to breeze through sections 1 and 2 (with some focused preparation).

Start by looking through ACER sample papers and figure out what you're naturally good and bad at within sections and also between sections. Make sure you capitalise fully on your strengths and be prepared to ditch topics where you feel you can only make limited progress in the time you have.

Work as hard as you can for the test - it is IMHO definitely not an aptitude test where you can just walk in and score above 60.

And try to enjoy the actual day of the exam as a personal challenge....a lot easier said than done, I know, but more likely to lead to a relaxed frame of mind!!!

etymon wrote: »
    Speak for myself when I say it's f*****g hard

Expected as much really. Cheers.
    drrunner wrote: »
    I think how hard it is depends on ability, background and specific aptitude for these kinds of tests (as opposed to aptitude for medicine!) - e.g. do you stay calm under pressure, can you speed read, have you got a well developed sense of pragmatism and probably most importantly have you got a good sense of your own strengths and weaknesses and ability to play to this?

I got a 64 on 5 or 6 weeks prep - quite possibly got lucky - but I reckon what got me through was a natural enjoyment of reading, debate and discussion and above average numeracy skills - I have no background (or knowledge lol) of organic chemistry or biology and factored this pragmatically into my preparation. One area where I think there might be very high correlation of good GAMSAT performance is with LC English - if you are a very high achiever in this, I think you are going to breeze through sections 1 and 2 (with some focused preparation).

Start by looking through ACER sample papers and figure out what you're naturally good and bad at within sections and also between sections. Make sure you capitalise fully on your strengths and be prepared to ditch topics where you feel you can only make limited progress in the time you have.

Work as hard as you can for the test - it is IMHO definitely not an aptitude test where you can just walk in and score above 60.

And try to enjoy the actual day of the exam as a personal challenge....a lot easier said than done, I know, but more likely to lead to a relaxed frame of mind!!!

Thanks for that. I like the sound of English helping, it was always my best subject in school and I got an A in the Leaving Cert, would be fairly rusty at this stage though. My background is engineering, I have no biology at all and very little chemistry but I guess I'd be comfortable enough with sciences. It's a long way away anyway, lots of time to prepare.

Figured as much, thanks.

I'll tell you in August :D

Sitting on 61 and hoping for RCSI or UCD. To be honest I think 61 isn't likely to get RCSI but fairly likely to get UCD. It'll get me a place some where though (I assume).

BTW I did bugger all work to get that 61. As other posters have said on this and other threads, playing to your strengths can get you places, but it won't have you sitting too comfortably if you restrict yourself to only half the schools available.

I'll tell you in August :D

Sitting on 61 and hoping for RCSI or UCD. To be honest I think 61 isn't likely to get RCSI but fairly likely to get UCD. It'll get me a place some where though (I assume).

BTW I did bugger all work to get that 61. As other posters have said on this and other threads, playing to your strengths can get you places, but it won't have you sitting too comfortably if you restrict yourself to only half the schools available.

I'm not restricting myself, I'd happily move, but it's just not financially feasible. I can't afford it.

I'll just have to hope that I can prepare myself well enough to get Dublin.

As for yourself, 61 was good enough for RCSI last year (I think), is it expected to go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

The vagaries of the CAO and applicant behaviour patterns make it impossible to accurately predict the requirement trajectory from year to year. However, given the fact that the number of applicants overall increased by about 100 and the fact that AFAIK RCSI places will not increase, if the applicant population behaves the same way as in 2009, RCSI cutoffs would be expected to increase....
    There are so many other factors though that make this the stuff of pure speculation!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

Yes because offers are made in July/August and you begin the course in early september. So if you sit them September 2010 then you're looking at taking a place (fingers crossed) in September 2011.

Mod... can we sticky this Gamsat 2011 thread and keep it at the top of the list (easier to find)

I'm not restricting myself, I'd happily move, but it's just not financially feasible. I can't afford it.

Yeah I understand. I was the same when I started into the process. In fact I initially decided not to do gradmed because of the financial implications. Other changes in my circumstances helped with that.

One thing to bear in mind as well, is that Limerick is the only place offering any kind of scholarship for GEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Yeah I understand. I was the same when I started into the process. In fact I initially decided not to do gradmed because of the financial implications. Other changes in my circumstances helped with that.

One thing to bear in mind as well, is that Limerick is the only place offering any kind of scholarship for GEM.

Yeah they offer €18,000 per year + contributions towards living costs. Nice work if you can get it. I'd say everyone applying for UL applied for the scholarship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Hi everyone! Would really love to do Medicine and hope to sit the GAMSAT next year with a view to starting in September 2011. Have to get the 2.1 first though :(. Just introducing myself to the rest of you hopefuls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mcdermla

I need some serious motivation to study right now!

Nottingham, September 2010 here I come :D

Spoke to the Gamsat office in UK. They recommend Nottingham if you're like me and no working knowledge of UK for ease of travel and cheaper accomodation

Study starts on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stoptalking

Does anyone need some GAMSAT revision material?? I have the blue green and orange ACER revision and practice books and Griffths Gamsat Review?

Willing to post if necessary but you will have to cover the postage charge as the griffith book is printed and 190 pages long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stoptalking

I have test materials. The Orange, Blue and Green ACER books and griffths book if your interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

tip:
    great book for graph-y and data questions
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Data-Interpretation-Medical-Students-Hamilton/dp/1904627668
    pleased with it as it's my weak area and wanted a flick through it before I start college. Wishing I had got it before GAMSAT.
    Hopefully might be of some use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shelly50

Hi All,

Anyone else to sit March 2011 from non science background and started preparing, how bad is it?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

if anyone wants the 3 ACER gamsat books gimme a PM and ill send em to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hopeful_horses

Hi all! Apologies if I am overriding advice that has already been given in this thread... but I'm kind of nervous and just need some specific advice on my situation! Sorry if this is a pain in the ass for anyone!

I am interested in sitting the GAMSAT and applying for entry on the Veterinary Medicine programme at UCD September 2011.

According to the course administrator, UCD has 5 places for applicants from a non-biological background -- so I imagine competition will be tough.

I am not a school leaver, I am 25 years old, and already have a BA in English (1st Class Honours, Queen's University, Belfast) and an MA in Journalism (GPA 3.50, City University of New York.)

After a brief career as a journalist in New York, I moved back to Ireland and have decided that I want something of a career change! I keep horses and am considering opening a livery yard since I have the land and considerable working experience with horses (and dogs!)

My academic attainment has generally been very high. However, to get into college in the US, I did another entrance exam (conceptually similar to GAMSAT) and I totally BOMBED the maths part. The college in America accepted me on my writing skills and references (and perhaps because I talked in a quaint and funny accent?!)

So naturally... I am quite apprehensive about the GAMSAT. However, I have approximately 9 months, plus the help of a tutor, to bring me up to speed on chemistry and physics and biology.

Is this enough time for someone with a non-biological degree to cover enough bases to do well in Section III of the GAMSAT?

ALSO: What's everyone's feelings of the Graduate Entry tuition fees? For UCD, at least, they almost DOUBLE regular tuition fees -- If I even get in, I can expect my education to cost in the region of 95'000 E...!!?

If you could offer any advice, I would appreciate it. Here's some kisses for taking the time to read and help me out: x x x x x x x x

PS. I currently reside in :pac:Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DraughtHorse

Hi all,

I made the decision today to sit the GAMSAT's in Sept. Have to pass first time round though. 2.1 Bio related degree from TCD is in the bag - time to don the end of year game face once more!

I'm thinking of possibly studying the UK though. Do I have to have the requisite experience before putting in my application or can can I notch the month up in the year following? Also, does anyone know if a thread/forum exists for those hoping to study medicine as a graduate in the UK?

Thanks,
    DraughtHorse

Try newmediamedicine.com for info on UK unis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skeaton

I did GAMSAT March 2010. I'm going into 2nd year GEP med now (RCSI). I used study notes and sample papers I ordered from Australia. I have 7 sample papers and notes covering all topics (including essay writing). I'm selling the whole lot for €200. Drop me a line if you're interested [modsnip] Please use the PM system, rather than posting email addresses. [/modsnip]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skeaton

susiemac wrote: »
    hey guys, im just wondering is anyone willing to sell/share GAMSAT prep material? im hoping to get my hands on the Griffiths GAMSAT review and/or Des O'Neill's essay notes if possible. thanks a mill, Susie :P

I'm selling my Des O'Neill notes and 7 sample papers for €200 ONO. They worked for me. Let me know if interetested [modsnip] Please use the PM system, rather than posting email addresses. [/modsnip]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mars1

I have the following for sale
    ACER Sample Questions, Practice Questions and Practice Test
    Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT (this was invaluable)
    Examkrackers MCAT Biology
    Examkrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT for Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physics
    Please PM me if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NeverLupus

I am intending to sit GAMSAT next March. I did this year, with very little (i.e nothing apart from the night before) prep and got 52. The science section let me down. I am hoping to study in the UK but want to apply for grad med in Ireland aswell, so I need to give GAMSAT my best shot.
    If anyone is interested in starting a study group PM and let me know:)
    I am in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 wild_swan

PM'ed you re: study gp!!:)

Advertisement