Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Those who cannot put up a Saorsat dish or aren't allowed to living in apartment blocks, renting, students etc outside of coverage of Saorview are going to be totally f*****d aren't they for receving our Irish stations in remote areas in valleys/islands, down by the sea in 2013 unless local television provisions are made for them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Saorview DTT is about 95% coverage by end of 2012 for a regular aerial. "DX" aerials will give extended coverage.

Almost no apartment blocks need a dish as the 5% not covered are entirely rural.

A dish for Saorsat need not look like a dish

123488.png

MMDS Dish
    Soarsat dish
    Saorview Aerial

The dish is inside a plastic box with LNBF fitted in rear, no arm at all. Cost is likely about the same as a quality grid aerial.

Elevation is 30 degrees toward South South East, instead of Sky's South East and 22.5 degrees. So can mount lower on a wall and still clear neighbour's house or apartments that would block TV signal.

Box is about 46cm x 46cm with tapered 30cm depth. 44cm internal cassegrain dish using secondary reflector on lid.

Soarsat
    100M/5M = x20. Though at 50% discount maybe "only" x 10 costs for content for FTA Satellite on Widebeam. Carriage costs are almost x5 more on 28.2 than Kasat @9E

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

FREETV wrote: »
    Those who cannot put up a Saorsat dish or aren't allowed to living in apartment blocks, renting, students etc outside of coverage of Saorview are going to be totally f*****d aren't they for receving our Irish stations in remote areas in valleys/islands, down by the sea in 2013 unless local television provisions are made for them :mad:

The number of third level students and apartment blocks that are in deepest rural Ireland are few and far between :D

A landlord renting any house/apartment after that will be unlikely to tell his/her tenants that they cannot have telly - they will just go next door.

Much more likely that in apartment blocks, the landlord will put up the one required dish and amp to supply the whole complex.

Basically, Ireland will be far better coverd than it is today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Considering all the Infrastructure was put in place YEARS ago (for DTT) and already has the online streaming...

And all it needs for DTT is space on the 2nd Mux. Obviously someone doesn't want it on regular TV after all.

See http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm

(Site down this morning!)
    http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.oireachtas.ie
    It's not just you! http://www.oireachtas.ie looks down from here.

Check another site?

[Edit back now @ 12:21pm]
    This Webcasting service commenced on Tuesday 11 October 2005, replacing the experimental service which ran since 1999.

This is an experimental IPTV service. The televisions channels are converted from the SDI video format supplied by the Oireachtas Broadcasting Unit, and and provided as multicast MPEG4 on the Internet at 3 MBit/sec

They implemented it after successful DTT trials by RTE and Runcomm

... In 1998!

So TEN years later they decide not to bother after all? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Not quite correct to say that it is canned. It said it may be canned. They are half way through deliberations. Certainly time-sharing is something they could do. RTÉ News Now at night time could certainly timeshare.

RTE1, RTE2 (reconfigured)
    TV3, 3e
    TG4/Oireachtas TV, Cula4/(Irish Film Channel)
    RTÉ News Now, RTE Junior/RTÉ1+1,/Euronews,/HD lite

My suggestion would be to let TG4 have a dedicated children's channel to enable Oireachtas TV to have some daytime coverage and then at night also.

The other option is to Let Cula4 and Oireachtas TV timeshare and let TG4 and Irish Film Channel timeshare. Because leaving TG4 as is and letting Oireachtas TV and Irish Film Channel timeshare mightn't just work.

I don't see why the wait til 2012. Definitely they should timeshare for now. Repeat can be provided for by RTE News Now at night. To my mind the Irish Film Channel can be catered for with TG4 as a part time operation and let Oireachtas TV and Cula4 timeshare. 7pm is good enough for anyone who wants to watch it in the evening home from work. Daytime can be catered for via internet.

No need to bin the idea.

That said Euronews should timeshare with RTÉ News Now by right and put the Irish Film Channel in the mix after RTÉ Junior. TG4 is entitled to have 2 channels like TV3, one dedicated to Childrens programming and the other can timeshare with Oireachtas TV. Otherwise leave TG4 as is and give Oireachtas TV a channel to themselves but defo not Irish Film Channel to themselves. To my mind parliamentary scrutiny is more important than films though others would disagree of course on entertainment grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Unless the suggestion is for a short term timeshare to get it up in some form at launch in, I wouldn't be in favour of it being timeshare with other channels. Once the two muxes are up and running there should be plenty of content with the 2 houses, plus european parliament and committee's for a full time channel a la BBC Parliament.

I can't help feeling that it's more to do with uncontrolled coverage by the Government who are happy with the nicely spun and editted soft focus stuff they get from the state broadcaster.

scath wrote: »
    Not quite correct to say that it is canned. It said it may be canned. They are half way through deliberations. Certainly time-sharing is something they could do. RTÉ News Now at night time could certainly timeshare.

RTE1, RTE2 (reconfigured)
    TV3, 3e
    TG4/Oireachtas TV, Cula4/(Irish Film Channel)
    RTÉ News Now, RTE Junior/RTÉ1+1,/Euronews,/HD lite

My suggestion would be to let TG4 have a dedicated children's channel to enable Oireachtas TV to have some daytime coverage and then at night also.

The other option is to Let Cula4 and Oireachtas TV timeshare and let TG4 and Irish Film Channel timeshare. Because leaving TG4 as is and letting Oireachtas TV and Irish Film Channel timeshare mightn't just work.

I don't see why the wait til 2012. Definitely they should timeshare for now. Repeat can be provided for by RTE News Now at night. To my mind the Irish Film Channel can be catered for with TG4 as a part time operation and let Oireachtas TV and Cula4 timeshare. 7pm is good enough for anyone who wants to watch it in the evening home from work. Daytime can be catered for via internet.

No need to bin the idea.

That said Euronews should timeshare with RTÉ News Now by right and put the Irish Film Channel in the mix after RTÉ Junior. TG4 is entitled to have 2 channels like TV3, one dedicated to Childrens programming and the other can timeshare with Oireachtas TV. Otherwise leave TG4 as is and give Oireachtas TV a channel to themselves but defo not Irish Film Channel to themselves. To my mind parliamentary scrutiny is more important than films though others would disagree of course on entertainment grounds
    Films are definitely more important, Politicians have been the ruination of this country, particularily the ones in cahoots with the top executive bankers so to be honest I think that a lot of people don't have any time for them, it may be entertaining to listen to their arguments and lack of solutions to the mess that they started in the first place. They are rambling, mumbling, unqualified i****s in my opinion. The take up of any Oireachtas channel as regards viewing figures would be very low indeed. Never believe a word of what most of the elected ones utter from their mouths, they are amost all in it for their own ends. Children need to be catered for and that is more important, we have little or no say of what goes on in the Oireachtas anyway as regards policy making so what would be the point in wasting valuable air time for Questions But No Answers, Frontline/ PUBLIC IN THE BACKLINE, THE WEEK IN POLITICS(POLI-THICKS) programs when hardly anyone watches Oireachtas Report anyway particularily when it is all depressing, bad news for the general public. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Philip Boucher Hayes just gave details of items on the programme this evening including a discussion on DTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Films are definitely more important, Politicians have been the ruination of this country, particularily the ones in cahoots with the top executive bankers so to be honest I think that a lot of people don't have any time for them, it may be entertaining to listen to their arguments and lack of solutions to the mess that they started in the first place. They are rambling, mumbling, unqualified i****s in my opinion. The take up of any Oireachtas channel as regards viewing figures would be very low indeed. Never believe a word of what most of the elected ones utter from their mouths, they are amost all in it for their own ends. Children need to be catered for and that is more important, we have little or no say of what goes on in the Oireachtas anyway as regards policy making so what would be the point in wasting valuable air time for Questions But No Answers, Frontline/ PUBLIC IN THE BACKLINE, THE WEEK IN POLITICS(POLI-THICKS) programs when hardly anyone watches Oireachtas Report anyway particularily when it is all depressing, bad news for the general public. :D

Disagree with this (yes they are &#@!bags but thats not the point), the doings of the national parliament should be covered live by the "state" broadcaster. Not wall to wall but certainly the main debates, committees and questions to the full ministers should be shown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

The Cush wrote: »
    Philip Boucher Hayes just gave details of items on the programme this evening including a discussion on DTT.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-drivetime.smil

its on after 25 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Adrian Weckler the only "technology" jorno in Ireland?

First Weckler says you'll have buy a box and then in the next sentence he talks about the move to built-in DTT tellys in major retailers.

Pretty useless - DTT for idiots in 5 mins (which no doubt was the brief for AW). Don't bother listening.

ftakeith wrote: »

Adrian Weckler the so called DTT expert that Philip wants back on the show to answer future DTT related questions insisted that analogue switchoff is happening in Dec 2011 (as per the EU recommendation) but of course as we all know here it's planned for the end of 2012 and is well known within RTÉ.

Why do RTÉ programmes keep foisting these so called DTT experts on us when they have all the expertise on their own campus, people that have been working on the development of DTT in this country for at least 13 years.

Hopefully the DTT information campaign will use RTÉ's own in-house experts and not people like Adrian.

Adrian Weckler the so called DTT expert that Philip wants back on the show to answer future DTT related questions insisted that analogue switchoff is happening in Dec 2011 (as per the EU recommendation) but of course as we all know here it's planned for the end of 2012 and is well known within RTÉ.

Why do RTÉ programmes keep foisting these so called DTT experts on us when they have all the expertise on their own campus, people that have been working on the development of DTT in this country for at least 13 years.

Hopefully the DTT information campaign will use RTÉ's own in-house experts and not people like Adrian.
    Exactly, spot on The Cush, the public need people from RTE and RTENL with the experience and knowledge who know what they are talking about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Exactly, spot on The Cush, the public need people from RTE and RTENL with the experience and knowledge who know what they are talking about. :)

just emailed off, to the Director-elect of DSO, Minister, RTE NL about that. I think they are doing great work but its just been clouded abit due to lack of a project manager. Hopefully Mary Curtis will quickly get on top of this as she begins her new role in September. Likewise the www.digitaltelevision.ie website should do the same and not be well out of date just in order to wait for finalised plans. That just give a lazy impression which doesn't do all concerned justice who are doing great work on the project behind the scenes. Interim updates stating more to follow at appropriate time would be fine.

He's just a Journalist. I don't think he is a Technologist or Expert on DTT.

End of 2012 may even mean Starting to turn off at Midnight 31st Dec 2012!

watty wrote: »

There isn't a chance switchover will happen during the Christmas/New Year holiday period. Even the Spanish I believe moved a switchover date to avoid a public holiday period.

The Broadcasting Act requires DTT coverage to match analogue coverage by end Q3 2012 and RTÉ recently indicated that it's network will achieve 98% coverage at this time.

I would expect switchover to happen sometime between Oct and Christmas 2012.

The Dept of Communications has just launched a tender for a report on ASO
    The final report will
    (i) inform the Department in how best to develop and deploy supportive policy interventions/options in the move from analogue terrestrial television (ATT) to digital terrestrial television (DTT)
    (ii) inform the analogue switchover policy
    (iii) deepen market information in relation to DTT services

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

He's just a Journalist. I don't think he is a Technologist or Expert on DTT.

No mention was made that anyone buying a new TV should make certain that it receives DTT, and to note that it must have MPEG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Which leads nicely into isnt it time we put up a simple sticky about the basic fundamentals of DTT.

We could entitle it DTT - an idiots guide for lazy journalists ?

There isn't a chance switchover will happen during the Christmas/New Year holiday period. Even the Spanish I believe moved a switchover date to avoid a public holiday period.

The Broadcasting Act requires DTT coverage to match analogue coverage by end Q3 2012 and RTÉ recently indicated that it's network will achieve 98% coverage at this time.

I would expect switchover to happen sometime between Oct and Christmas 2012.

I said Starting :) to turn off Analogue. The Dept is fond of 31sts and end of years.
    See http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-02-02.2075.0

It might start Oct 2012, I agree. I'll be surprised though if there is not some Analogue in 2013.

The 98% might be a real 95% with only 51 sites, but I won't quibble. The problem is that while main transmitters could in theory be turned off even in early 2011 to early 2012, most of the small relays (what RTE call Transposers and are "professional Deflectors" :) ) are fed by rebroadcast from the main TX sites. Of course if Saorsat is running by mid 2011, then any analogue site can be run off 3 to 4 FTA boxes on Kasat much cheaper and safer than using Sky boxes. So then you can turn off the main TX.

A lot depends on:
    • How good any info campaign is.
    • TVs and Setboxes in shops with Saorview sticker at good price.
    • One free box for anyone on Medical Card (i..e Means tested need).
    • No snags in rollout of 51 DTT sites
    • Successful timely launch and Commission of Kasat to feed some sites, backup feed all sites and DTH Saorsat for 2% to 8% that can't get DTT Soarview.
    • Free dish and cable install for ANYONE outside official DTT reception.

We are not legally obliged to have all analogue off by 2012. The aim is to have the Digital Dividend of selling off upper end of TV spectrum across all of EU in 2013. As long as Comreg can flog it off here too on same basis with assurance nothing will interfere with UK in 2013 and the purchaser can roll out in 2013 with phased introduction during 2013 & 2014 everyone will be happy :)

DTT is not primarily about having more free (or Pay) channels via the aerial. It's about the "Digital Dividend". That is Government making money flogging Spectrum and Mobile or other Wireless Voice/Data operators making money selling stuff to public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The 98% might be a real 95% with only 51 sites, but I won't quibble.

In the tender document for a survey of households (put up by Dept of Comms) they are assessing the distrubution of TVs in households. They are looking for an accuracy of +/- 3 %. So they will not be able to tell the difference between 95% and 98% anyway.

I said Starting :) to turn off Analogue. The Dept is fond of 31sts and end of years.
    See http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-02-02.2075.0

It might start Oct 2012, I agree. I'll be surprised though if there is not some Analogue in 2013.

We are not legally obliged to have all analogue off by 2012.

I agree with you on end of month dates but I can't see switchoff starting or completing during the Christmas/New Year holiday period, too many people on holidays and staff not available to man helplines to deal with viewers problems. Even the UK halts transmitter switchovers during Dec and Jan (incl. Feb into Mar next year).

If switchover does slip into 2013 it could be as a result of promises made by the new government (election due mid 2012, if the present one lasts that long), a delayed switchover due to the economic situation. Romania has just announced that they will delay switchover until 2015 due to the current economic situation.

Leo Varadkar the new Fine Gael spokesperson on Communication since June is beginning to get his head around his area of responsibility as we can see in the article from today's Irish Times with his comments on digital switchover. Analogue switchoff and the economics of it for the man in the street will no doubt be a primary focus for Leo and Labour's Liz McManus for the next two years or so.
    Fine Gael communications spokesman Leo Varadkar said the switchover would not only affect analogue households but would also affect households with a second television which is not linked to cable or satellite.

Mr Varadkar also called for a public awareness campaign in responding to a survey published by ComReg earlier this week, which revealed that just four in 10 people were aware of the analogue switch-off,

Even though we are not legally obliged to switchoff analogue in 2012 we do have that infamous MoU with the UK so it will have to be taken into consideration if there is to be any delay. Back in 2008 the BCI didn't rule out a delay between 2012 and 2015.

How much is the paper the MoU is on worth?

I think we have the same hymn books but you are more optimistic. :-)

How much is the paper the MoU is on worth?

I think we have the same hymn books but you are more optimistic. :-)

The MoU is about coordinating switchover between the two jurisdictions, we know NI will switchover mid to late 2012 so there will be an obligation on us per the MoU to do likewise and we know meetings between the two countries are underway.

I would think that setting an absolute date of Oct 2012 for ASO would concentrate minds and get the thing done. What is the problem? Transmitters are up and running, UK Freeview HD boxes work, no commercial channels so no encryption. If a telly breaks down, it is fixed or replaced within a week, so tell everyone it is going off next week, and we will all be fixed up by the following week. [I exagerate, but you see what I mean.]

I would think that setting an absolute date of Oct 2012 for ASO would concentrate minds and get the thing done. What is the problem? Transmitters are up and running,

The problem is money or the lack of it in your pocket if you are on low income and having to purchase 1,2 or more converter boxes for TVs, recorder(s) etc. Those households that require a Ka dish and receiver will face additional costs.

Hopefully by the end of 2012 there will be sufficient low cost receivers on the market to allow low income households switchover.

The problem is money or the lack of it in your pocket if you are on low income and having to purchase 1,2 or more converter boxes for TVs, recorder(s) etc. Those households that require a Ka dish and receiver will face additional costs.

Hopefully by the end of 2012 there will be sufficient low cost receivers on the market to allow low income households switchover.

That maybe, but at the end of the day, RTE will save about €8m/year as a result of ASO, and the quicker it happens the better. Currently there is dual illumination which is unnecessary to prolong any longer than is possible. Now €8m will buy 160,000 STB @ €50 each, which is half the number of homes needing them. (20% of 1.5m). So two years savings will pay for a STB for each home without $ky and NTL. Put the messages up on RTE1 and RTE2 before each advertising break on the terestial version starting now. It will not be long before everyone who needs a STB will know about it.

Unfortunately, this falls down because there are no STBs in the shops for people to buy. I'll have to rub it out and start again - to quote Fagan from Oliver.

Who planned all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Unfortunately, this falls down because there are no STBs in the shops for people to buy.

That is what I was wondering as well!
    Do we know if any STBs have been approved yet?

P.S. Excellent tread, thanks to all for the knowledge that has been contributed.

There may be. But we don't know as none are listed by RTENL or Teracom or anyplace else we know.

• Advertisement

There may be. But we don't know as none are listed by RTENL or Teracom or anyplace else we know.
    Nothing changes in this country does it? Last minute as usual for everything, it reminds me of cramming a years college material in one week for exams. :D I presume that they will have some stbs in the shop before the Oct 31st partial launch?

Advertisement