Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Sports rights can and are bought for this country alone terrestrially. eg Champions League.

Then the BBC and ITV and Five and S4c's of this world buy up other sports.

Then you have the protected content that Sky can never get their hands on in Ireland or the UK.

Thats a lot of sport.

Of course the Irish market is peanuts towards the UK market. Any drops in price will be reflected by the UK's viewing habits. More and more are moving away from pay tv everyday.

Bottom line, you are right. They will end up having to sell sports seperately.

About time, charging people for FTA in bundled packages in order to sell sports packages with proprietry hardware has to stop. People are getting over using non sky systems when they see the money they are saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

STB wrote: »
    Sports rights can and are bought for this country alone terrestrially. eg Champions League.

Then the BBC and ITV and Five and S4c's of this world buy up other sports.

Then you have the protected content that Sky can never get their hands on in Ireland or the UK.

Thats a lot of sport.

Of course the Irish market is peanuts towards the UK market. Any drops in price will be reflected by the UK's viewing habits. More and more are moving away from pay tv everyday.

Bottom line, you are right. They will end up having to sell sports seperately.

About time, charging people for FTA in bundled packages in order to sell sports packages with proprietry hardware has to stop. People are getting over using non sky systems when they see the money they are saving.
    That is UPC also, they have to pay for the FTA channels (Partners) they call the different tv networks and so charge everyone who avails of their services. When more words get around from word of mouth, newspapers, tv ads about FTA services terrestrially and by satellite and people see that they can get hundreds of free stations through Freeview in overspill areas, Freesat/FTA sat and Saorview/Saorsat then Sky customer numbers will probably drop by forty to fifty percent in the next three years after analogue switch off. It will take years for the economy to improve dramatically and paying Sky or UPC for FTA bundels is madness and a waste of money. Premiership football is all about the money, image and the standard of football can be dire at times, remember the English performance in the World Cup, they were pretty useless, it reminded me of school boy soccer. I kid you not that I used to practise striking a ball for hours everday and could score goals from forty yards out. They made the game look complicated which it isn't. Come to think of it it was a pretty disappointing World Cup and who knows how far the Irish team could have gone if they weren't cheated out of qualification by Thierry Henry. He'd probably be a much better Gaelic player than a soccer player. The point I am making is that I cannot see what all the fuss is about watching foreign Premiership teams in a foreign country and paying Sky the privilege of hundreds every year to watch over paid, overrated players broadcast exclusively on Sky Sports. A waste of money, whether one finds it entertaining or not. I watch GAA, International Soccer and Rugby but I have no interest in the Premiership or the Champions League even though it is broadcast FREE TO AIR on RTE2 and ITV . I CANNOT SEE WHAT ALL THE FANATICISM IS ALL ABOUT. How many twin tuner combo PVRS could one buy for multiroom viewing for every year of subscribing to Sky Sports packages? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Back to the content speculation. Will the proposed channel line as per this document http://www.techtir.ie/sites/default/files/JOCC20100714.doc be available in October when the launch happens ? I've been under the impression that this was the case, am I correct in this assumption ?

Or it a case of assumption + DTT = disappointment :mad:

I suppose the clue is in these lines "We are still finalising the channel line up that will be available on both the DTT and Satellite systems. A potential service line up could include the following:"

I wouldn't presume anything about the channel line-up until the channels actually appear on screen. If the line-up was definite I'd expect to see tests of RTE1+1 and 3e at this stage....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I suppose the clue is in these lines "We are still finalising the channel line up that will be available on both the DTT and Satellite systems. A potential service line up could include the following:"

I wouldn't presume anything about the channel line-up until the channels actually appear on screen. If the line-up was definite I'd expect to see tests of RTE1+1 and 3e at this stage....

For reasons beyond comprehension, the whole DTT project has been shrouded in secrecy and hidden from public scrutiny for the last 4 or more years. RTE have announced .... well, what did they announce? DTT will launch in October 2010 'for tests' with a launch sometime ...when?

Why are RTE, even today, not saying that the DAB stations are available on the DTT test transmissions? Who gains from all the secrecy?

Maybe Goan .... going ..... gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

For reasons beyond comprehension, the whole DTT project has been shrouded in secrecy and hidden from public scrutiny for the last 4 or more years. RTE have announced .... well, what did they announce? DTT will launch in October 2010 'for tests' with a launch sometime ...when?

RTÉ indicated at the Joint Committee that they recommend a Q2 2011 full national launch but as with the Oct technical launch the Minister directs such matters not RTÉ. We know how the network will be rolled out between now and ASO and we know the information campaign starts this autumn.
    Mr. Conor Hayes: October 2010 is the switch-on from a technical basis. The date for the public national launch must be decided by the Minister but we recommend the second quarter of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Not the end - certain sports are limited on FreeTV so it might not cause the big exodus that we all hope for...
    Many people in the Republic have Sky because they have poor reception of RTÉ or cannot get TV3. Saorsat will enable these viewers to cease their reliance on Sky. Will TV3 pay for availability on Saorsat instead of the relay terrestrial transmitters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

endakenny wrote: »
    Many people in the Republic have Sky because they have poor reception of RTÉ or cannot get TV3. Saorsat will enable these viewers to cease their reliance on Sky. Will TV3 pay for availability on Saorsat instead of the relay terrestrial transmitters?
    The network should have been built several years ago by RTENL. It has been a very long time coming, talk about a long drawn out affair, what a saga. A decade or more of tests and all the costs of ESB bills borne by the already cash strapped tax payer. Enforcing a TV LICENSE FOR YEARS ON TV ADS while they couldn't even provide a proper dervice for people in certain rural areas of the country. I blame the politicians and "poli thicks" for the delay. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I was going to post this in the "Minister announces details of DTT" thread, but it's perhaps more relevant here...

There was a study in the UK a few years ago which was a study of viewing habits of viewers who had subscription TV available. Nearly everyone rarely strayed from a core group of no more than 20 channels for their viewing despite around 10 times as many channels being available to them. The traditional 4/5 analogue broadcasters and their offshoots still command the biggest audience figures in general, all the channels in the latest BARB Weekly Total Viewing Summary that have a 1.0 or higher audience share are available free-to-air in one way or another, the highest audience for subscription channels are Sky 1 and Sky Sports 1 with 0.8 each (comically, Sky 3 has a higher audience share than Sky 1).

On an individual basis, channels like Living, Comedy Central, MTV etc. work fine as niche channels but at least in the UK they don't hold the same popular name appeal as even some Freeview channels. The fees they get from being subscription channels is what keeps them going alongside their advertising. The Discovery Channel has a 0.2 share - it's Freeview sister channel Quest has a 0.5 share; MTV has a 0.1 share while Viva has 0.3. Figures at the link below.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyViewing?_s=3

I don't think that the viewing habits of Irish viewers are significantly different to those of British viewers, in that there is still a significant audience pull towards "traditional" popular viewing channels. RTÉ, TV3 and the four main UK terrestrials still pull in the biggest figures. I remember as a kid reading a newspaper back in the early 90's declaring that the expansion of Sky's Multichannels being the start point of where BBC and ITV could not compete - 15 to 20 years later and while ITV has changed, both they and the BBC, along with Channel 4 are still in fairly healthy shape against the Sky juggernaut.

dunleas wrote: »

Just a follow up to the Dept of Communications press release on last Thursdays' announcement which only appeared on the website today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

Interesting article:

RTÉ transmission network may be sold, says Ryan

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0730/1224275808936.html

The private companies (Boxer,OneVision etc..) had both planned to broadcast British terrestrial channels on their services. British channels will not be offered on the RTÉ service announced by Mr Ryan yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well, the Government have really had it forsale since 1999 roughtly. That's nothing new. I think it would be idiotic and a repeat of eircom fiasco.

The 1st Asset stripping vulture capitalist carpet bagger to buy it would likely load it with debt by borrowing to buy it. (Leveraged buyout). Then sell off all the mast sites.

There would never be much real investment in Network Infrastructure ever again.

Sell off 2FM and RTE 2 TV maybe. Nothing more. Completely separate RTENL and RTE, no connection if you like.

Combine RTENL, eNet backhaul, Heanet, MANs and ESB network (not the power gen) in one state company. Or keep them separate. But don't sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

From the above article - DTT equipment subsidy for pensioners, being considered but not yet confirmed.

"Mr Ryan said he did not envisage any increase in the licence fee to help RTÉ pay for the new service. The cost of new televisions or adaptors would be borne by customers, but he said he would consider a subsidy for pensioners."

With October looming large it would be nice for to have official equipment for the customers to invest in.

I agree with watty about keeping ownership of infrastructural assets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »

Combine RTENL, eNet backhaul, Heanet, MANs and ESB network (not the power gen) in one state company. Or keep them separate. But don't sell them.

You could add Bord Gais Networks too, and then combine the reading for the gas and lecky bill into one visit. All network infrastructure companies and semi-states in one semi-state. Great idea. They could also collect the TV licence, while they are at it.

Well.. if Bord Gais actually had fibre in the empty ducts they are supposed to have fibre in.

Who said anything about visits? We are all going to have FTTC and FTTH broadband in our "smart economy" and have "smart meters". :D Hopefully without "remote" on/off as otherwise hackers will turn off half the country.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    From the above article - DTT equipment subsidy for pensioners, being considered but not yet confirmed.

"Mr Ryan said he did not envisage any increase in the licence fee to help RTÉ pay for the new service. The cost of new televisions or adaptors would be borne by customers, but he said he would consider a subsidy for pensioners."

With October looming large it would be nice for to have official equipment for the customers to invest in.

I agree with watty about keeping ownership of infrastructural assets.

Ditto on state infrastructure assets, discussed here recently - director general of RTE resigns and RTE maybe privatised

Regarding subsidised DTT equipment there is a provision in the Broadcasting Act for such a scheme. The October date doesn't apply for two reasons, firstly the Oct date is being discussed as the technical launch (information campaign for retailers/installers/viewers, training for installers/retailers), with the full launch due possibly Q2 2011. Secondly, subsidised equipment will only be required just before analogue switch off (as is the case in the UK and was the case in the US). I would expect to see a subsidy scheme maybe mid 2012, state finances may be a little better and we are due a general election about that time.
    (9) The Minister, for the purpose of ensuring a smooth and
    efficient interchange between the provision of analogue and digital
    television services in the context of analogue switch-off, shall have
    the power by himself or herself, or in conjunction with any other
    person, to—

(d) operate, manage or sponsor, whether in whole or in part,
    measures aimed at alleviating the effects of analogue
    switch-off on classes of communities or persons
    adversely affected.

I agree.
    No subsidy scheme till near end of Analogue. (Mid to late 2012)
    Sat dish install 100% covered only if RTENL says out of DTT coverage.
    Any setbox subsidy only for people already means tested perhaps. (There are well off pensioners and very poor non-pensioners)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I agree.
    Any setbox subsidy only for people already means tested perhaps. (There are well off pensioners and very poor non-pensioners)
    IIRC in Italy the subsidy was about €30 , roughly the price of an entry level set top box

The subsidy should only apply to the box, not to the antenna since only those not on cable/sky already will need a box. It will only affect about 20% of license holders and only cost about a fifth of the license and even that amount should come from the government or whoever will benefit from the sale of the frequencies.

for those who are out of DTT coverage then yes the satellite should be paid for, just like they did in NI for people who couldn't get broadband any other way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Other countries have broadband as a basic right

in an ideal world we could have eircom and UPC copper bundled too, and mandate that all new estates would have fibre to the home or at least a cabiet on the estate. there would be no issues with ownership of ducts and all carriers could use all networks. But it ain't going to happen :(

If anyone want's to know why we should not sell off the transmission networks just has to look at how much Eircom are charging for line rental. Are we still the highest in the world ? Are Eircom still investing less in the network than it is depreciating by ? Excluding those who get their line rental paid by the government are Eircom still shedding customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I agree.

I agree about the subsidy in 2012 but cannot see them paying for a sat install and box as there are going to be alot more than the 2% they say will not be able to receive DTT as in the analogue world at present it is more like 15-20% who are presently with Sly mostly for good RTE etc. reception and free UK channels.

However back on topic initial line up of the 4 national channels plus in the next phase probably the UK FTA channels if copyright allows with perhaps a sprinkling of Sky sports /films down the line as the pay per view chapter.
    Also looks like UPC are up against it when Sky comes to DTT eventually.

Just my opinions guyz as a veteren viewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

John Dough wrote: »
    Also looks like UPC are up against it when Sky comes to DTT eventually.

NO WAY will Sky ever come to Irish DTT!
    Why would they pay carriage costs on DTT for ~90% potential coverage of the country when the current system they use does about 99.9% and will have 100's more channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

gtg60 wrote: »
    NO WAY will Sky ever come to Irish DTT!
    Why would they pay carriage costs on DTT for ~90% potential coverage of the country when the current system they use does about 99.9% and will have 100's more channels.

Some people might/would like the convenience of recieving sky via an indoor ariel rather than having to wait 2-4 weeks for an installer to install your dish (just desnt out a DTT box and card in the post :) ) - plus for the likes of myself where i live in wooded areas and its hard to get a sat signal without building a mast :D - i barely get 19.2e and cant get 28.2e with all the trees around the house

so sky could use it as na extra option to reach others plus its a more convient setup as well in many respects...so some sort of alternative sky DTT service is possible but not probable

All depends on demand and I am sure they will survey the market in regards to this possibility

:D

1/10th or 1/40th the number of Channels, 5% to 10% of Market and over €10M p.a. extra transmission costs? I think not.

Sky might have one or two Pay TV channels on Irish DTT eventually if it had a big market share and there was already a successful top up TV type service.

I can't a TopUp TV / PayDTT service happening in Ireland. The market dynamics is different to UK and Sky Satellite and UPC cable are in almost every house that's prepared to have payTV. If a TopUp/Pay DTT service does happen it would be only 5 channels and after 2014. Any late starting PayDTT has to be HD, so only 1/4 of channel space.

They would only be cannibalising their own satellite Customers as cabled areas will stick with UPC anyway.

Sky will not be interested in Irish DTT. Too Niche.

... for the likes of myself where i live in wooded areas and its hard to get a sat signal without building a mast :D - i barely get 19.2e and cant get 28.2e with all the trees around the house

They must be VERY big trees very close to house
                       v        ---
                      vvv       |
                     Vvvvv      | 
             V     vvvvvvvvv    | Tree Height - Dish Height
             |   V     ||       |
    _(       |   |     ||       ---
     \       |   |     ||       | Dish Height
    _|_______|___|_____||_____  |
    House         Woods

|--------------|
          Tree Distance
    Tree Distance Must be more than 2 x (Tree Height - Dish Height)	  

Dish on 1m pole on chimney
    subtract height of dish from height of tree
    Remaining Height must be 1/2 of distance of tree from dish.
    (assuming 22.5 degree elevation for 28.2E in Ireland. 19.2E is easier, higher elevation)

Maybe you have 20m Beech trees only 10m from House? In which case worry about the foundations.

Maybe it's a bungalow/Cottage?

If the trees blocking at all you get NOTHING on Satellite. Maybe poor alignment.

Note ONE mature beech tree reduces my 12km distant Woodcock hill terrestrial reception on UHF to rubbish. I have my TV aerial only 2m above patio to get clear LOS UNDER the boughs of the row of trees!

My dishes "look" like they are pointing into a row of tall firs an a house behind them. But the elevation is fine. I get 42E to 50W.

They must be VERY big trees very close to house
                       v        ---
                      vvv       |
                     Vvvvv      | 
             V     vvvvvvvvv    | Tree Height - Dish Height
             |   V     ||       |
    _(       |   |     ||       ---
     \       |   |     ||       | Dish Height
    _|_______|___|_____||_____  |
    House         Woods

|--------------|
          Tree Distance
    Tree Distance Must be more than 2 x (Tree Height - Dish Height)      

Dish on 1m pole on chimney
    subtract height of dish from height of tree
    Remaining Height must be 1/2 of distance of tree from dish.

Maybe you have 20m Beech trees only 10m from House? In which case worry about the foundations.

Maybe it's a bungalow/Cottage?

2 story house with 150-200 year old beach trees that are 1.5-1.75 times the height of the two storey house 15-20 metres from the house - 19.2e dish is on the wall at the upstairs bedroom level - portable dish as well

sky came out and said a dish on the chimney wouldnt cut it

am getting 19.2e thru a slight gap in the trees - cant get 28.2e there tho

Roots are Deep lol

must be kind of dark...
    In the autumn look to see where has direct sunlight at about 11 am (at ANY height, anywhere on your site). That place can get Sky.

Soarsat is easier as the elevation is higher. Sun illuminated spot about noon.

I have a pole on a gable end with bolts into attic with aerials that have more wind load than a dish.

I'd say the far end of your house from the trees is perfectly clear and you just need a suitable brackets and pole to "see" over the roof from that spot. Dishes are commonly mounted on an S pole 30cm above gutter looking straight over roof.

If ridge points South East/North West, then you mount on North West Gable pointing down the ridge... etc.

Many of the Sky installers are just guys with drills. A few are actual Technicians. None are Communications Engineers.

must be kind of dark...
    In the autumn look to see where has direct sunlight at about 11 am (at ANY height, anywhere on your site). That place can get Sky.

Soarsat is easier as the elevation is higher. Sun illuminated spot about noon.

I have a pole on a gable end with bolts into attic with aerials that have more wind load than a dish.

I'd say the far end of your house from the trees is perfectly clear and you just need a suitable brackets and pole to "see" over the roof from that spot. Dishes are commonly mounted on an S pole 30cm above gutter looking straight over roof.

If ridge points South East/North West, then you mount on North West Gable pointing down the ridge... etc.

Many of the Sky installers are just guys with drills. A few are actual Technicians. None are Communications Engineers.

aye the sun finds it hard to find its way to th house at times but with this country's weatehr - im not missing much :p:D

ill have to see - ive being testing different spots over the last while but to no avail

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

rte could go fta 28e but are you willing to 250 euros or more for tv lience because cost of programs like flashforward csi and others would double, it would be not just ireland but uk france spain or anyone with large enough dish that can get 28e on till uk narrow beam sat comes on in 2013 or 2014 when happy days for sky no out side uk will get sky, poland have done it already with polish bean at 19e

no, quadruple or much more. TV licence 1250 Euro or much more.

• Advertisement

lgs 4 wrote: »
    rte could go fta 28e but are you willing to 250 euros or more for tv lience because cost of programs like flashforward csi and others would double, it would be not just ireland but uk france spain or anyone with large enough dish that can get 28e on till uk narrow beam sat comes on in 2013 or 2014 when happy days for sky no out side uk will get sky, poland have done it already with polish bean at 19e
    no, quadruple or much more. TV licence 1250 Euro or much more.

This is what Conor Hayes said at the recent Joint Committee debate
    Mr. Conor Hayes: ...
    Another innovation by RTE is promotion of its satellite option, Saorsat. Some members of the committee will be familiar with the equivalent UK service, Freesat. The BBC, ITV and a number of other companies have put their services on one of the wideband Astra satellites. The services are broadcast unencrypted, or “in the clear” as we call it. The trouble with those wideband satellites is that they have a very big footprint. If RTE were to be put up on a wideband satellite, its services would be in the clear to the UK, France, Holland and many other countries. One might ask why that should not be done, to which I would respond that we do not have the resources to purchase the rights to enable us to broadcast into those countries. We buy programming that allows us to broadcast to 4.5 million people. We do not have the money to broadcast to 100 million people. Therefore, the option taken by the BBC when Freesat was launched is not available to us.

It [Saorsat] will cost us approximately €1.5 million per year. We can manage it. As other channels come on board, part of the cost will be defrayed. In light of the security this option provides and the ability to supply to the 2% of the population who do not currently receive public service television, the cost can be adequately justified. We might have a different take on the situation were the cost €20 million or €25 million, but the actual amount is appropriate and reasonable.

Advertisement