Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

I can get watchable analogue VHF from Kippure on an indoor aerial where I am so I tried scanning 198.5 but found nothing. Might need someone with a proper VHF setup to test.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Maybe they are listening to the voices on here complaing about Mount Leinster jamming the Welsh transmisions. Or maybe they want to jam VHF as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Watty, as usual you may be spot on, here is the NIT from 21/4/10 :
    Network Name: RT
    Network ID: 12801 (0x3201)
    Transport Stream ID: 1001 (0x03e9)
    Original Network ID: 8564 (0x2174) Version: 30
    Descriptor: Network Name Descriptor
    DVB-T Frequency 738.000 MHz
    Bandwidth: 8 MHz Constellation: 64-QAM
    Hierarchy: non-hierarchical, native interleaver Guard Interval 1/32
    Code Rate: 2/3
    Current Network: True

Here is a grab from today :

Network Name: RTENL
    Network ID: 12801 (0x3201)
    Transport Stream ID: 1001 (0x03e9)
    Original Network ID: 8564 (0x2174) Version: 0
    Descriptor: Network Name Descriptor
    DVB-T Frequency 198.500 MHz
    Bandwidth: 8 MHz Constellation: 64-QAM
    Hierarchy: non-hierarchical, native interleaver Guard Interval 1/32
    Code Rate: 2/3
    Current Network: True

It's gone from version 30 to version 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Another radio channel showing up: RTE Radio 1 Extra.

No audio at the moment but epg is duplicate of Radio 1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its the same as on DAB it'll only carry audio rarely - sporting and religious services. Its whats carried on longwave, just with the rest of the time filled with normal R1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

DAB+ uses the same audio codec HE-AAC as MPEG4 on Freeview HD while the current DAB and Irish DTT use the same ( crap) Mpeg1 audio. If we assume that a lot of our gear will be Irish purpose Freeview HD gear, going forward, then we could have a stab at broadcasting DAB+ which relies on the HE-AAC codec for its plusness. The UK will also deploy DAB+ sometime won't they??

But I am only specumalating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Irish DTT can use AAC for audio, it's in the NorDig spec.
    MP2 is what DAB and Sky Satellite radio use, difference is that Satellite is usually 256kbps MP2 and UK DAB (MP2) often 128k.

Since 128k MP3 is unacceptible..

The issue is not just MP2, MP3 or AAC, but what bitrate is used. There is no quality benefit if AAC is simply used to have twice as many stations in the same bitrate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sesswhat wrote: »
    Another radio channel showing up: RTE Radio 1 Extra.

No audio at the moment but epg is duplicate of Radio 1.

Its been on satellite for EU audiences for a couple of years now. As per above- its mostly R1 highlights, along with some very good plays that normally go out late at night etc.
    Not a bad addition......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I'm also receiving a 2nd test card channel from Mount Leinster . What was RTÉNL is now RTÉNL 1 showing the same test test card as before , but RTÉNL 2 is showing a new test card with the following on it "RTENL Ath Cliath"
    clipboard02in.jpg

Now with audio from Lyric FM...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its been on satellite for EU audiences for a couple of years now. As per above- its mostly R1 highlights, along with some very good plays that normally go out late at night etc.
    Not a bad addition......

Sports opt outs too, especially rugby commentary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Sports opt outs too, especially rugby commentary.

Wonder why? You can get a R1 FM or LW in the clear (from the same satellite) anyhow- so its a bit pointless....... Doubtless part of some bigger plan......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

I'm also receiving a 2nd test card channel from Mount Leinster . What was RTÉNL is now RTÉNL 1 showing the same test test card as before , but RTÉNL 2 is showing a new test card with the following on it "RTENL Ath Cliath"
    clipboard02in.jpg

An additional line has been added to the text field with the word "Ardghleine" (High Definition) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

How in HDTV format running at 1440x1080 !!!

See media info on earlier snap shot recording below

rtenl2.jpg

rtehd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How in HDTV format running at 1440x1080 !!!

See media info on earlier snap shot recording below

What audio decoding are they using for the HD test? Can you display the audio information page?

Currently there is no ac3 or e-ac3 so it's not HD audio

Audio #1
    ID : 64 (0x40)
    Menu ID : 137 (0x89)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 13s 320ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Video delay : 9h 2mn
    Stream size : 312 KiB (8%)
    Language : English

Audio #2
    ID : 65 (0x41)
    Menu ID : 137 (0x89)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 13s 200ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Video delay : -2s 712ms
    Stream size : 309 KiB (8%)
    Language : nar

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Brillance, my LG TV is also showing this test card in clear on RTENL2 and it is in HD.
    Will RTE show World Cup football in HD on this channel next month? or run any parallel program with RTE1 SD and RTE HD?

Souriau wrote: »
    Brillance, my LG TV is also showing this test card in clear on RTENL2 and it is in HD.
    Will RTE show World Cup football in HD on this channel next month? or run any parallel program with RTE1 SD and RTE HD?

It would be nice if that was the case, I'd prefer Irish commentary over the commentary offered by BBC or ITV.

Lets hope the RTENL engineers are thinking along the same lines.

I have also notice that the AD, Audio Description, feature on my LG on RTENL2 channel is duel audio
    when AD is off, I hear the radio audio
    when AD is on, I just hear the clappers clicking when they meet together.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had to retune one of the Samsung's in the house tonight, was giving errors on every channel.

It and the LG are now giving LCN-ed channels again. My own Samsung isn't! Still alphabetical order on it. Only time it ever gave me LCNs was when the DAB stations were carried for a short while. Anyone any idea why?

edit: setting country for digital to Ireland gives me LCN, it was unknown. Still no MHEG but I don't actually know if the unit supports that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MYOB wrote: »
    edit: setting country for digital to Ireland gives me LCN, it was unknown. Still no MHEG but I don't actually know if the unit supports that.

Go to the RTÉ News Now channel and press the text button, what do you get - no text, MHEG-5 text or regular "analogue" text?

Have noticed previously on a Samsung TV in store that it gave MHEG-5 text on the News channel and regular text on the other channels.

The Cush wrote: »
    Go to the RTÉ News Now channel and press the text button, what do you get - no text, MHEG-5 text or regular "analogue" text?

Have noticed previously on a Samsung TV in store that it gave MHEG-5 text on the News channel and regular text on the other channels.
    I have also notice this on all channels except TG4 which never did transmit MHEG-5
    It used to be on RTE1, RTE2, RTENL1, RTENL2 and RTE News. Now nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Programme listings on MHEG-5 text aren't being updated at the moment. They've been showing listings for Thursday programmes for a few days now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Programme listings on MHEG-5 text aren't being updated at the moment. They've been showing listings for Thursday programmes for a few days now.
    That's automation for you! Things break and can go un-noticed for days on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

All up to date, and has been up to date from spur hill, using the sony tv guide.
    I stopped using guide plus, last year, as i found it didn't always keep up to date info

update: 26/5/10
    TV guide now only updating for now, next and next.

RTE Digital MHEG-5 is back on and working again on 5 channels.
    TG4 only using analouge Teletext

pa990 wrote: »
    update: 26/5/10
    TV guide now only updating for now, next and next.

I just noticed this on my htpc RTE 1 , RTE 2 and TG4 have no 7 day epg data coming from the dvb source, however the RTEN_L test channels seem to have EPG up until the 8am on the 29th.

I've seen it happen before, it was only for a day or two.

EDIT :- I just forced an EPG update and it all working again.

Just done a rescan and there is five more radio channels added - RTE Pulse , 2XM , Choice , Gold & Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

The EPG time is correct now too.

Advertisement