Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSMS - desktop app to use your free text message allocation (multi-operator)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

By the way, this program accepts phone book contacts which have been exported from Floats Mobile Agent.

Just save te exported file with the name PhoneNumbers.txt in your JSMS folder and when you launch JSMS it will recognise the FMA format and load your contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

For some reason i can't figure out how to add contacts to the phonebook.

If i want to add one i've to put add it to my phonebook on Meteor.ie, then delete my login details and restart and import phonebook.

Any easier way to do this?

orla wrote:
    For some reason i can't figure out how to add contacts to the phonebook.

If i want to add one i've to put add it to my phonebook on Meteor.ie, then delete my login details and restart and import phonebook.

Any easier way to do this?

Yes. All you need to do is click on the menu button and choose 'Edit Phonebook'. Then add contacts on each line like this
    name,number

For example
    John,085443333
    Pete,086111111
    Orla,083444333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I tried that but it's not saving

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Has this program stopped working?
    This week I have been getting the error that the meteor.ie website is currently down. I am on vodafone and I can send sms directly from the vodafone web.
    Anyone else experience this?

• Advertisement

Old Jim wrote:
    This week I have been getting the error that the meteor.ie website is currently down. I am on vodafone and I can send sms directly from the vodafone web.

Works ok for me on Meteor. Just tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Old Jim wrote:

I'm getting the same error....was working fine up until this week. I'm with vodafone also and the webtext works fine on the VF site
    error.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Old Jim wrote:

yes.. still not working...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 garyo

Yeah same here on Vodafone and have been getting the same error message over the pass few days :(

Just had a quick look into this and the aft server is returning error code -2 to me which means "-2: Unable to contact the server requested". See:

http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=AFT.ReturnCodes

Basically, JSMS uses the aft server for O2 and Vodafone server side sending (Meteor is all my own code), so until it is worked out on the aft server, the texts won't work. Does anyone on O2 have any problems sending??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

My Vodafone Logon

We're sorry, an error has occurred. Please review the error below

Unfortunately, we are unable to give you access to My Vodafone. Current customers may need to reactivate their mobiles by Topping Up your Call Credit (SRV-WL-08).

is the error im getting when im triyng to log in, does anyone have a vodafone username/password to donate to me for testing? Ill only use a few messages every month to test

Sorry I only have a Meteor login at the minute. Just to fill everyone else in, Vodafone should be back working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

This app looks great! Is there any chance, seeing as you're running osx there that you could convert it into a nice little widget?

I'm going traveling in a few days for a year so won't be able to do any work on this sorry! Would love a widget myself!! Cheers:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Is it just me or has JSMS stopped working since Meteor updated their TXT page/contacts display?

Oops - sorry! Tired! :rolleyes:

Found the thread(s) below...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

Vodafone and O2 users of JSMS will have noted that they have not been able to send texts for the last week or so.

I've just released JSMS version 3.2.3 and this should have Vodafone users up and running again. The installer can be downloaded from here:
    http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net

We are still working on restoring service for O2 customers. If you are an O2 customer please check regularly for updates as we hope to have you up and running again real soon.

Please post any bugs, feature requests or support requests to our project website (and *not* this thread):
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=196351

Kind regards,
    Your JSMS Team.

The JSMS thread started by fbradyirl has grown a little long so I'm starting this new thread to keep folks updated on progress of the JSMS.

JSMS is a desktop application that allows Meteor, Vodafone and O2 users send free text messages from their PC. The application uses the free monthly webtext credits allocated by your mobile operator, but saves you having to log into the operator's website.

To download an installer for your platform, please visit our website.

JSMS is Java based, and as such should run on any computer capable of running a JVM. It still uses Java 1.5 as Apple have not yet released a Java 1.6 JVM for the MAC. Once they release a JVM we will move JSMS to Java 1.6.

Please post any bugs, feature requests or support requests to the following URL (and not to this thread):
    JSMS trackers. This should avoid this thread filling up with support messages.

Enjoy!

Kind regards,
    Your JSMS team.

Hi Folks,

This thread has become a little long and unwieldy, so I've created a new thread here.

Please use the new thread for any new posts.

Your JSMS team.

Important note for O2 customers:

The latest release of JSMS (3.2.3) is not working for O2 customers. We are currently working on this problem as hope to return to full service ASAP.

We apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The Kid wrote: »
    Important note for O2 customers:

The latest release of JSMS (3.2.3) is not working for O2 customers. We are currently working on this problem as hope to return to full service ASAP.

We apologies for any inconvenience caused.

O2 users -- We have implemented fixes that means JSMS can now support you again. However, we have a couple of small things to tidy up before releasing this change/fix. Please be patient with us and watch this space. You should expect a new release of JSMS offering you full support in the next day or so.

The Kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

this hasn't been workin on my mac for the past few days im using vodafone, anyone else having the same problem??

We've just released version 3.3.0 of JSMS.

We now support Meteor, Vodafone and O2 customers.

We no longer rely on the AFT (or any other) server, but instead communicate directly with the mobile operator's websites. Dal, Donotface and Yman -- we remain indebted to you guys for letting us you your server for so long. If there is ever anything you think we can help you with on your project, please don't hesitate to ask.

this hasn't been workin on my mac for the past few days im using vodafone, anyone else having the same problem??

What version are you using (click on Help --> About JSMS... to find out)? Last week we lost support for Vodafone and O2 customers. I was working all weekend to get that working again. Version 3.2.3 (released last Monday) fix things for Vodafone customers whereas O2 customers will require version 3.3.0 (released today).

MobilePlaza, can you please download the latest version (from here) and install it and see if your problem still exists. If it does, let me know and I'll get it fixed ASAP. We can post a support request to the project website and I'll be able to get info from you to help me debug the problem.

The Kid wrote: »
    We are still working on restoring service for O2 customers. If you are an O2 customer please check regularly for updates as we hope to have you up and running again real soon.

O2 customers are now supported again...

Your JSMS team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

seems to be working fine now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Cant install the program. I got java from the link but it says its not detected. And i cannot find a 1.5 version anywhere in the java archive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Have make power Book Pro with leopard installed, can't seem to get this working, is leopard supported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

This is the error message I receive when I try to install application.

Cant install the program. I got java from the link but it says its not detected. And i cannot find a 1.5 version anywhere in the java archive.

Yes - the installer should first check that you have the appropriate version of Java installed first.

Sorry about the confusion looking for Java version 1.5. I should have been more explicit. When Sun released Java 1.5 they decided to call it version 5.0 and it is now confusingly called by both names. You see, technically it used to be 1.5.0 and they just dropped the leading 1 -- clear as mud, ya? :-) On their own website, they now call it 5.0 but their installer is named 1.5.0 -- go figure!!! So whenever you hear people talk of Java 1.5, 1.5.0 or Java 5.0, they are actually talking about the same thing. Java 5.0 is really the official name, so I should have used that instead.

Anyway follow this link http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp and download and install the installer called "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 13". That should sort you out.

Just so as you know, Sun *DO* have a newer version of Java available. This is version 1.6, 1.6.0 or Java 6.0 (the official name). However, we do not yet use it as that would mean that our Apple Mac users would not be able to use JSMS. The reason for this is that Apple develop their own JRE rather than using one developed by Sun and they have not yet released a 6.0 version.

I hope that clears it up! :-)

• Advertisement

This is the error message I receive when I try to install application.

I have tested the installer on a friend's Mac and it worked a treat. I'm not sure what's different about yours. I'm not overly familiar with Macs myself (I'm a Windows and Linux user) so I suggest we work around your problem rather than try to solve it.

Try downloading the JSMS_3.3.0_jar.tar.gz files instead. Expand the files into a single directory on your machine and if you have Java installed properly, you should be able to launch the application by clicking on the JSMS.jar file.

The installer is only intended to automate the process for users, it doesn't do any fancy setup so you're not required to use it.

Hope that approach sorts it out for you.

Advertisement