Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV carriage on Saorview approved

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

From what I can make out, Irish TV somehow plants a story in the papers every few months about them coming to Saorview, but nothing ever happens. This has been going on for years.

Unless they are now at number 7 on someone's remote control?

http://blog.irishtv.ie/?s=saorview&submit=

Aug 18

Here at IRISH TV as we go through a very exciting period of expansion preparing for our launch on Saorview to bring us on to every TV screen in Ireland at the flick of a button (we will shortly be No.7 on the remote control) in tandem with our partnerships with TATA global communications for direct transmission to the USA; Verizon into Canada and Virgin across the UK – every bit of press coverage we earn through this busy time is extremely valuable.

April 25

The Sunday newspapers catch-up on the growing story around IRISH TV was in full swing at the weekend with both The Sunday Independent and The Sunday Business Post carrying reports about the new platforms of Verizon, Virgin, Tata and Saorview all due to carry the channel imminently.
    All in all this makes IRISH TV’s slogan of Local Stories – Global Audience ring stronger than ever. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Sunday Indo reporting today, that Saorview want a €3m bond as well as €1m carriage fees from Irish TV before it can launch on Saorview. The bond is so as to prevent Irish TV from doing a runner from Saorview after say 12 months etc. Irish TV boss says he wont pay it, so I guess you can forget about them joining Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Bit cheeky of them to ask for a bond! Maybe there way of telling Irish TV to take a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

JDxtra wrote: »
    Bit cheeky of them to ask for a bond! Maybe there way of telling Irish TV to take a hike.

The opposite, the bond guarantees RTÉ payment for the channel on Saorview if it defaults on payment due to closure, liquidation etc, basically to ensure they don't leave Saorview too quickly.
    The bond is required to give Saorview assurances about the long-term commitment of stations to the platform

Source: Sunday Independent

The article states the owners are willing to offer a bond of €1m but this doesn't appear to acceptable to RTÉ.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think a bond has always been needed for carriage on Saorview? Didn't think the price would have been so high, but I guess it's not that much in broadcasting terms.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    I think a bond has always been needed for carriage on Saorview? Didn't think the price would have been so high, but I guess it's not that much in broadcasting terms.

Look at the legal issues RTÉ had with the TV3 group over its analogue and DTT carriage costs, the last quickly sorted to ease the takeover by Liberty no doubt, otherwise it could still be making its way through the courts.

The last time this bond issue raised its head was in relation to the commercial DTT multiplex contracts when I believe RTÉ sought a bond of €20m before upgrading the network for the Boxer consortium and we know how that ended.

What would the €3m bond cost Irish TV?

byte

The Cush wrote: »
    Look at the legal issues RTÉ had with the TV3 group over its analogue and DTT carriage costs, the last quickly sorted to ease the takeover by Liberty no doubt, otherwise it could still be making its way through the courts.

The last time this bond issue raised its head was in relation to the commercial DTT multiplex contracts when I believe RTÉ sought a bond of €20m before upgrading the network for the Boxer consortium and we know how that ended.
    ?
    Ah yes, Boxer, nearly forgot all about that carryon - I think that's where I'm thinking of the bond issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Dreamers.

I still dont get it.

Who is burning all this money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Just after hearing Brian Hurley Connissioning Editor of irish tv announce that irish tv will be launchi g on the Saorview platform. He didn't give an excat date but said that they are near the end of testing on Saorview. He was speaking about the future of the channel and it's Autumn schedule at tne ploughing champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Just after hearing Brian Hurley Connissioning Editor of irish tv announce that irish tv will be launchi g on the Saorview platform. He didn't give an excat date but said that they are near the end of testing on Saorview. He was speaking about the future of the channel and it's Autumn schedule at tne ploughing champions.

Was at the ploughing and passed Irish tv tent and noticed their jeeps with saorview logo on it as well as sky,freesat , and eir . Just thought it was premature given it isn't on saorview yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's insane them launching on Saorview for €1 million a year, that's nearly €20k a week they have to find, I would doubt they will even get 5,000 viewers a week on Saorview.

brick man wrote: »
    Was at the ploughing and passed Irish tv tent and noticed their jeeps with saorview logo on it as well as sky,freesat , and eir . Just thought it was premature given it isn't on saorview yet
    As I said in my previous post they announced it during their new Autumn schedule and going by what was said they are only talkimg a couple of weeks. irish tv seem to make these announcements a couple of times a year and nothing ever happens.

It's insane them launching on Saorview for €1 million a year, that's nearly €20k a week they have to find, I would doubt they will even get 5,000 viewers a week on Saorview.
    If it does launch on Saorview tapping in to an audience of over 640,000 can only improve the audience figures which in turn would improve advertising revenue. Tey do seem to have the financial backing so maybe some sort of agreement has been reached between themselves and 2rn.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Seeing is believing

M

If it does launch on Saorview tapping in to an audience of over 640,000 can only improve the audience figures which in turn would improve advertising revenue. Tey do seem to have the financial backing so maybe some sort of agreement has been reached between themselves and 2rn.

Putting it live on Youtube or simply streaming online would be much cheaper.

From the papers
    Irish TV channel coming to a set near you on Saorview

Move to enable ‘local stories’ broadcaster to vie for advertising revenues with competitors

Irish TV chief executive and founder Pierce O’Reilly said the station, which is available on Sky at present, will shortly be on Saorview after protracted negotiations with RTÉ. It will bring the channel into an additional 676,000 users.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/irish-tv-channel-coming-to-a-set-near-you-on-saorview-1.2798538
    Irish TV channel set for launch on Saorview

The channel, which is currently hosted on the Sky, Eir and Freesat platforms, will soon be freely available to 676,000 Saorview users around the country.

“We are in the final stage of testing and with our upcoming Saorview expansion to 43% of Irish homes, we will now be available on the two largest television platforms in Ireland,” said Irish TV CEO Pierce O’Reilly.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-tv-channel-set-for-launch-on-saorview-35064256.html

http://blog.irishtv.ie/?p=2892

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Shouldn't that be 676,000 homes?

Of course Sky and Virgin are big advertisers in the newspapers...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Ireland’s first international TV channel, Irish TV,....
    Was there not another channel on satellite a few years back called Tara TV or am I going senile?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Was there not another channel on satellite a few years back called Tara TV or am I going senile?

There certainly was. It was available here for a time until RTÉ blocked it, presumably because people watched things like the news on it instead of RTÉ One. RTÉ wasn't on satellite at the time. It closed soon after.

When they say nearing the end of testing does that mean they will be using one of the LCN numbers currently on test cards?

• Advertisement
    M

Perhaps Virgin Media will replace Setanta Eir Sports on analogue with it, lol.

It has to be the craziest financial decision I have seen since HMV decided they were going to take on Netflix.

I just read an article on journal.ie stating that irish tv excutive director Pierce O Reilly said that the roll out of irish tv on Saorview will take a couple of months as they are in test mode at the moment. In the announcement yesterday they were talking weeks so here we go again conflicting stories from irish tv and not a mention on tje Saorview website.

byte

If they were testing on Saorview, surely one of those wasteful blank "channels" would have it, in the same way Oireachtas was?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DamnLeech

I have checked both multiplexes and from what I belive one off the test card channels are missing there were three sd and 1 hd test test cards.
    Theres just two sd test cards now and a hd.
    I think you need to manully enter the pid code or sid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

DamnLeech wrote: »
    I have checked both multiplexes and from what I belive one off the test card channels are missing there were three sd and 1 hd test test cards.
    Theres just two sd test cards now and a hd.
    I think you need to manully enter the pid code or sid

You're right. The SD test on LCN 17 has disappeared.

You're right. The SD test on LCN 17 has disappeared.
    Yes I checked early this morning and found the same.Who knows maybe irish tv will turn up on that channel. I just saw an interview on Irish tv with the minister for communications and he said irish tv is currently in negotiations with rte about launching on Saorview so more confusion. It seems each day a different version is put out. So until we see the channel on Saorview I guess we will keep hearing this spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

'Imminent launch on Saorview' got a mention on Ray Darcy's emailbag slot today on RTE R1 in connection with a piece on sloppy camera work on their cookery show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's going to be a little strange for people who already have the channel through their combi-boxes & TV's on Satellite to get it again via Saorview.

It will also say to me that convenience for viewers is what sells for Irish TV being on Saorview in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Other than the name "RTÉ 3" I'm not sure what TV3 could be complaining about.

Dreaming of thew day when we see the following TV line up on Saorview :D

RTÉ One HD
    RTÉ Two HD
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3e HD
    UTV Ireland HD
    Irish TV HD
    RTÉ Three HD
    RTÉ Jnr HD
    Channel 4 HD
    E4 HD