Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shred wrote: »
    I've been blown away over the past couple of nights dabbling while waiting for the 1070 to arrive; it really is an unbelievable piece of kit, the wife (who was of course sceptical before I bought it) was trying it out last night and said "I can't believe this cost less than a grand!". I've just been messing around in the lab (notable mentions to Xortex and Longbow) along with a bit of Job Simulator; both are immense fun and the scaling does a very decent job with my R9 380 to be fair, albeit in low quality. The 1070 just arrived this afternoon so I'm looking forward to giving it another lash tonight with that. I've been eyeing up a few games and I'm interested in Hover Junkers, Audioshield, Vanishing Realms amongst others, I'll probably pick up at least one of them over the weekend especially while the sale is on.

Hot Dogs, Hand Grenades & Horsehoes. Thank me later :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah I've seen a few of you talking about it but I've looked at a couple of vids and while it did look kind of cool it didn't seem particularly impressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Doge

Theres a dedicated thread for the Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but this relates to the Vive

• Advertisement

That's great news!

Skerries wrote: »
    but this relates to the Vive

Actually apologies Failsafe, ye're right! Forgot it wiuld allow vive users to play games on the oculus store!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm interested in Hover Junkers, Audioshield, Vanishing Realms amongst others, I'll probably pick up at least one of them over the weekend especially while the sale is on.

No interest in Hover Junkers as I don't play any kind of MP games in general, but Audioshield is amazing. Its the game really "clicked" for my wife who hates gaming but loved music. The ability to load up any of your own favourite songs is fantastic, though as the game's interpretation of the song is all automatic, sometimes a particular track doesn't work out great. But when it does - oh boy!

Personally, Vanishing Realms was a real "woah!" moment for me. Absolutely stunning feeling of being in a fantasy RPG. Finding and picking up your sword for the first time. Placing inventory items in your two belt pouches, then looking down and picking them out again when you need them. There was one moment when I was holding a torch in one hand and my sword in another and I needed to take a key form my pouch to unlock a door, and I couldn't do it for some reason and didn't know why for a few seconds, when I suddenly got that both my hands were already full. I put the torch down on a nearby table, took the key out and unlocked the door, then picked up the torch again. That simple moment really stuck with me, and never would have happened in a standard 2D RPG.

Branoic wrote: »
    No interest in Hover Junkers as I don't play any kind of MP games in general, but Audioshield is amazing. Its the game really "clicked" for my wife who hates gaming but loved music. The ability to load up any of your own favourite songs is fantastic, though as the game's interpretation of the song is all automatic, sometimes a particular track doesn't work out great. But when it does - oh boy!

Personally, Vanishing Realms was a real "woah!" moment for me. Absolutely stunning feeling of being in a fantasy RPG. Finding and picking up your sword for the first time. Placing inventory items in your two belt pouches, then looking down and picking them out again when you need them. There was one moment when I was holding a torch in one hand and my sword in another and I needed to take a key form my pouch to unlock a door, and I couldn't do it for some reason and didn't know why for a few seconds, when I suddenly got that both my hands were already full. I put the torch down on a nearby table, took the key out and unlocked the door, then picked up the torch again. That simple moment really stuck with me, and never would have happened in a standard 2D RPG.

Has Audioshield improved it's music selection options? I found it couldn't see most of my music files, it really needs to integrate with a service provider. O Fortuna is bad ass though

Vanishing Realms is brilliant but you really need the space if you dont want to smash your room up , plus they stuck a timed sequence in which absolutely killed my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Bambi wrote: »
    Has Audioshield improved it's music selection options? I found it couldn't see most of my music files, it really needs to integrate with a service provider. O Fortuna is bad ass though

No, the music selection can be a little bit of a pain. I have my main iTunes library on an iMac and I tried downloading "cloud" versions of my songs onto iTunes on my gaming PC, but they can't be recognised which I'm sure is more to do with Apple DRM than the game. I've got around it by mostly using an MP3 converter on YouTube.

• Advertisement

Remember during the Steam Sales you can buy a game and play it for 1-2 hrs and request a refund if you are not happy.

It's a great opportunity to try a few games.

I haven't picked anything else up yet so that's good to know. Based on my original room calibration my play area was 100cm (!) too small for vanishing realms (which needs 2m x 2m minimum); I recalibrated again last night and it's 2.6m x 2.2m now so I'll probably pick it up as it's one that caught my eye early on.
    I'm still really enjoying the lab, in particular longbow which I could play for hours if my shoulders didn't get tired!

I'm still really enjoying the lab, in particular longbow which I could play for hours if my shoulders didn't get tired!
    I love longbow. I must remember to put the bow in my other hand every now and then. I thought my shoulder was going to explode the first time I tried it :D

Ok so I just bought 'Audioshield', 'Vanishing Realms' along with 'Hotdogs, horseshoes and Hand Grenades'; it should be a fun evening!

I haven't picked anything else up yet so that's good to know. Based on my original room calibration my play area was 100cm (!) too small for vanishing realms (which needs 2m x 2m minimum); I recalibrated again last night and it's 2.6m x 2.2m now so I'll probably pick it up as it's one that caught my eye early on.

Yeah that minimum is optimistic in my experience

Yeah the area I have is certainly very playable, but I can see how it would work even better with more space; I have a plan though so this is only for the short term.

Posted this in the Rift thread, might as well share it here:

Just had a cool idea on a cheap holder for the rift / vive.

You can buy these polystyrene full sized mannequin / dummy heads for cheap on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Polystyrene-Black-Foam-Male-Mannequin-Dummy-Stand-Model-Shop-Display-Head-New-/390872796521?hash=item5b01d58d69:g:oEMAAOxyIv5TlSFv

More choices

010434_zpsff618e23.jpg

0104342_zps2524ff8c.jpg

If you're worried about them tipping over you can buy a special clamp for them, heres the cheapest one on Aliexpress $3.85 delivered:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Brand-New-Adjustable-Hair-Salon-Hairdressing-Clamp-Training-Black-Head-Mannequin-Holder-Free-Shipping/32523682099.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.45.W3QnLi&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_2_10017_405_301_507,searchweb201603_1&btsid=5bac2ff2-ec63-4aa4-873c-8b07cac5aef7

Brand-New-Adjustable-Hair-Salon-Hairdressing-Clamp-Training-Black-Head-Mannequin-Holder-Free-Shipping.jpg

I have no idea if theres a hole in the base of the mannequin head I posted already, but it cant be that hard to cut one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I replied to the Rift thread also:

Think I read about two reasons thats not a good idea. One applies to both Rift and Vive and one only applies to the Rift.

With the HMD on the mannequin head for longer than its not, the faceplate foam will conform , compress and eventually 'Remember' the shape of the Mannequin face and not yours if you get me.

The proximity sensor in the Rift that turns the HMD screens on and off when you put on and take off the Rift will be permanently activated on the mannequin head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Vanishing Realms is playable with almost no room but it really benefits from having extra to spare. Some of the bad guy you need to sword fight are bigger than your safezone.

Now that I have my 1070 I think I will be playing Starseed and Sightline, both of which played quite poorly on the old system. I'll also be giving The Solus Project a go, which I think probably will benefit from beefier graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Calibos wrote: »
    With the HMD on the mannequin head for longer than its not, the faceplate foam will conform , compress and eventually 'Remember' the shape of the Mannequin face and not yours if you get me.
    Isn't the foam on the vive removable? It may be a good idea to remove it after use and let it dry out. Then there wouldn't be an issue with leaving it on the mannequin. which I'm now going to start calling Doges girlfriend. :pac:

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Isn't the foam on the vive removable? It may be a good idea to remove it after use and let it dry out. Then there wouldn't be an issue with leaving it on the mannequin. which I'm now going to start calling Doges girlfriend. :pac:

ACTUALLY FYI I ordered the male mannequin head so....

um...

9809848.jpg

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You can get the stand in Sallys too, I think it's like €9? Usually a wig head has the hole in the bottom (sorry there's no better way to say it) to put into stands.

You can get the stand in Sallys too, I think it's like €9? Usually a wig head has the hole in the bottom (sorry there's no better way to say it) to put into stands.

Yeah....
    As if they that wouldnt be embarrassing! :P

Thanks though!

Is anyone playing around with GTA V mods for the Vive? Interesting stuff

Full game for The Brookhaven Experiment is out today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anywhere in dublin to try these bad boys out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Zillah wrote: »
    Full game for The Brookhaven Experiment is out today!

worth getting?

I haven't played it yet but based on the demo and videos I have seen I would say yes.

I played the demo last night, it looks promising alright and I've picked it up; at €14 it's worth a pop. Less than 1 hour until it unlocks!

• Advertisement

I've been loving H3VR over the past few days (I should never have doubted you Bambi!). It was a little awkward to figure out how to load/change firing modes on each weapon but once I sorted that out it's been brilliant (spare clips on the belt ftw). Both Audioshield and Vanishing Realms are impressive too and I'd join others in recommending all three especially when you consider I got them for around €50 combined in the sale.

Advertisement