Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That just doesn't make sense!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Wesley saying "was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?" in Samaratin Snare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Wesley saying "was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?" in Samaratin Snare

Probably just another example of the back story in TNG not being consistent with later events. I don't think he meant that the Klingons joined the Federation. Seeing as the Klingons didn't disappear after Praxis exploded, I doubt they ever entertained anything more than the alliance - much less joining the Federation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Enterprise wasn't built with Data in mind. He can be linked up to the computer via a hardline, we've seen that before win Engineering with Geordi etc. As for wireless, I dunno, maybe LCARS just isn't compatible with Data's programming & its just easier for him to use a terminal...you've seen how fast he can input right? ;)

but it's designed for wifi, sure look at all the portable sensors and padds and tricorders they have all the time. how hard could it be for him to have an wifi connection same as these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

but it's designed for wifi, sure look at all the portable sensors and padds and tricorders they have all the time. how hard could it be for him to have an wifi connection same as these?

But everything thats wireless is LCARS based, Data isn't. As said above, the best explanation is he uses the terminals to ape human behaviour as thats his main goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

But everything thats wireless is LCARS based, Data isn't. As said above, the best explanation is he uses the terminals to ape human behaviour as thats his main goal

offtopic but dont think i havent noticed replacing walter white and jessie with "HAL". Bryan Cranston played Hal in Malcolm in the middle :D

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    offtopic but dont think i havent noticed replacing walter white and jessie with "HAL". Bryan Cranston played Hal in Malcolm in the middle :D

Breaking Bad has become possibly my favourite tv show of all time, the avatar will be back for the finale don't worry :D

yet they can plug him in no probs. I guess he must be a mac and the Ent a PC or something :D

yet they can plug him in no probs. I guess he must be a mac and the Ent a PC or something :D

At least they didn't have to do it that often :D

Data_head.jpg

yet they can plug him in no probs

Didn't Geordi normally have to 'design an interface' for things like that, I suspect another canon reason would be that Data would have limited exterior connectivity in order to offer him better security in case he would be ever captured.

Also LCARS pads likely wouldn't offer Data the same input speeds as a hardwired terminal do.

I dunno ok, thats just the way it is :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I suspect another canon reason would be that Data would have limited exterior connectivity in order to offer him better security in case he would be ever captured.

Yet there's an easy to access switch on his back to turn him off :P

• Advertisement

I think the most likely reason is that they probably just didn't think of linking Data to the ship wirelessly. We'd have it as a given now, because we have phones that actually fit in our pockets (and aren't the size of a brick), WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC or lots and lots of wireless sensors (Zigbee etc). When the show was originally written, digital mobile phone standards were still a work in progress. I think the mobile phone revolution of the 1990's helped to visualise what would be possible in the future. What did the writers have to play with? Analogue mobile phones or CB radio, perhaps?

They seemed to have anticipated a return to a more centralised vision of computing, and considering the cloud era (I dislike that word, but anyways) we're in they may not have been entirely off the mark. In retrospect, it seemed like that was a totally solved problem for them and it didn't seem to be an issue worthy of debate. A wasted opportunity, imho.

Who knows? Data might have been a special case. Not many Soong-type androids were ever built and I'd guess his architecture (for lack of a better word) may have been totally different to anything else in the Federation. Which meant that without special efforts from Geordi or Data, he may not have been able to connect to the ship without serious engineering and/or ingenuity. For example, see the picture of Data's head I posted earlier.

I think that we might sometimes forget that TNG is close to thirty years old, and that the writers were writing for the time and the world they were in.

And lets face it - even if they did think of that, they'd have to make sure that Data couldn't just wirelessly link to the ship and turn off the busted valve/forcefield/fire/etcetera right in front of them with a mere thought. Like all of the other times they have to conveniently disable the communications, replicators, transporters, life support or engines for the sake of the plot.

Kiith wrote: »
    Yet there's an easy to access switch on his back to turn him off :P

Deactivating him, & taking control over him are two very different things though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Deactivating him, & taking control over him are two very different things though

True enough. Even with Riker and Geordi in The Game, they cut his connections rather than try to take control of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think that we might sometimes forget that TNG is close to thirty years old, and that the writers were writing for the time and the world they were in.

That is one sobering thought. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I think the most likely reason is that they probably just didn't think of linking Data to the ship wirelessly. We'd have it as a given now, because we have phones that actually fit in our pockets (and aren't the size of a brick), WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC or lots and lots of wireless sensors (Zigbee etc). When the show was originally written, digital mobile phone standards were still a work in progress. I think the mobile phone revolution of the 1990's helped to visualise what would be possible in the future. What did the writers have to play with? Analogue mobile phones or CB radio, perhaps?

They seemed to have anticipated a return to a more centralised vision of computing, and considering the cloud era (I dislike that word, but anyways) we're in they may not have been entirely off the mark. In retrospect, it seemed like that was a totally solved problem for them and it didn't seem to be an issue worthy of debate. A wasted opportunity, imho.

Who knows? Data might have been a special case. Not many Soong-type androids were ever built and I'd guess his architecture (for lack of a better word) may have been totally different to anything else in the Federation. Which meant that without special efforts from Geordi or Data, he may not have been able to connect to the ship without serious engineering and/or ingenuity. For example, see the picture of Data's head I posted earlier.

And lets face it - even if they did think of that, they'd have to make sure that Data couldn't just wirelessly link to the ship and turn off the busted valve/forcefield/fire/etcetera right in front of them with a mere thought. Like all of the other times they have to conveniently disable the communications, replicators, transporters, life support or engines for the sake of the plot.

They handled access limitations pretty well with The Doctor in VOY who was essentially IN the computer. Even the command version of him couldn't do thought control.

But as you and other posters have said, the writers for that show had mobile phones and wireless computers to base their world off whereas the TNG writers were only on the cusp of those technologies.

If it was written now, Geordi would probably design a quantum device that Data could access a specific terminal (with human user level access) that worked over subspace, leading to some good twists on the whole "aliens have taken over the ship with forcefields/transporters/biological weapons"-type scenarios.

Data could be away planet-side or on a shuttle and eventually figure out that his access is to the main ship systems are blocked due to a hijack and then work out something with an environmental control bypass or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Gulliver wrote: »
    Data could be away planet-side or on a shuttle and eventually figure out that his access is to the main ship systems are blocked due to a hijack and then work out something with an environmental control bypass or something.

That's a other thing who designed their operating and technical systems. Are they running windows 3000? The amount of holes in their systems . Install a firewall lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Only getting back to this now :o
    The Enterprise wasn't built with Data in mind. He can be linked up to the computer via a hardline, we've seen that before win Engineering with Geordi etc. As for wireless, I dunno, maybe LCARS just isn't compatible with Data's programming & its just easier for him to use a terminal...you've seen how fast he can input right? ;)

Yeah and I suppose it did help to differentiate Data as being "humanoid but not human" when we see him do his super-speed.
    Yeah I suppose there should be, but for script/story reasons...it was better to have people in danger rather than safe from behind a viewer.
    The ambush could be set for later in the exploration - after they move out of camp. It just seemed odd to beam crew down without protection.
    Well the MACO's from ENT looked pretty badass. With armour its a tradeoff with speed & maneuverability so they prob chose to omit it.
    I must watch all of ENT. I kinda gave up with the whole time war and scenery-chewing acting.
    Can't really comment on that, I dunno anything about BSG...but in the Trek universe, shuttles arn't really gonna last long against Capitol ships
    I would imagine that a phaser bank can only emit so many streams, so your capitol ship would attempt to draw the heavy fire while the fighters did a 360 pattern to confuse targeting sensors. I wonder if you cut power as you approached the outer shield could you drift a fighter through?
    Border wars went back as far as TOS with the Klingon & Romulan borders.
    TNG dealt with Borg Invasion, one two parter & one movie really
    DS9 had the wormhole & a new enemy. Four seasons of war
    VOY was spend outside of the Federation
    ENT dealt with the invasion arc again, but only two seasons.

Starfleet may be more exploration based, but that doesn't mean that every other race is so inclined ;)
    Yeah, I know what your saying, but what I was getting at is that even though the shows are all about going boldly, why not pimp your weapons systems to the max with all ship classes before sending them out into the unknown. I'm sure first contact scenarios might be a bit awkward with a warship bristling with weaponry, but I'm sure a good delegation would smooth it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Saw the first 20 minutes or so of "Where No One Has Gone Before" last night and after the first hyper warp jump to the far side of the Triangulum Galaxy about 2.7million light years from the Milky Way. Geordi states that it will take 300 years at maximum warp to get home.

Fast forward to 2371, USS Voyager, is taken by the caretaker to the delta quadrant, a piffling 70000 light years from home, and from where it will take them approximately 70 years to get home travelling at maximum warp.

So on a Galaxy Class (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.2) it takes 300 years to travel 2.7 million light years but an Intrepid Class, (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.975) it takes 70 years to travel 70000 light years. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Obviously that's a continuity error.

However, did they actually say "70 years at maximum warp"? Because they never travel at maximum warp in Voyager - even when they're not wasting time at random planets. Yet three seasons in and Chakotay said it will now take 67 years to get home in the episode I watched yersterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Beefy78 wrote: »

However, did they actually say "70 years at maximum warp"? Because they never travel at maximum warp in Voyager - even when they're not wasting time at random planets. Yet three seasons in and Chakotay said it will now take 67 years to get home in the episode I watched yersterday.

Ah stop you with your rational analytical thinking!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the fact that in all big explosions on the bridge they have rocks there for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

That, the Steamrunner and the Sabre were all lovely.
    I really liked where they were going with ship designs, pity that we never got to see a series with them

I dont really get why you would put the exit to the shuttle bay at the front of a ship. Any sort of movement from the main ship would make a shuttle launch more difficult.

Why would it?

Why would it?

As soon as the shuttle leaves direct contact with the shuttle bay floor it would need to instantly match the speed of the main ship is traveling at. If the speeds don't match exactly and the shuttle bay is at the front of the ship, the shuttle would crash off the back wall (assuming the ship is not traveling in reverse) If the shuttle bay is at the back of the ship, the shuttle will just leave the ship with no issue.

I assumed that's why they had the shuttle bay at the back of the Enterprise in TOS and TNG.

Nope. If it is travelling at Warp then it is within the warp field, of the ship and only has to compensate as it leave that.
    If it is travelling at impulse then the shuttle is travelling at impulse already, relative with the ship that it is leaving.

Nope.

I would really enjoy a bit of a debate on the impracticalities of a forward facing shuttle bay but posters who post one word dismissive sentences infuriate me. g'day sir.

I would really enjoy a bit of a debate on the impracticalities of a forward facing shuttle bay but posters who post one word dismissive sentences infuriate me. g'day sir.

Bye

the fact that in all big explosions on the bridge they have rocks there for some reason

ballast so the consoles stay in place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Beefy78 wrote: »

Yes they said 70 years at maximum warp. Watched the episode yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i think part of that is they cant travel at maximum warp forever, only really in short bursts otherwise the Ent would be tearing around at 9.9 on every trip

i think part of that is they cant travel at maximum warp forever, only really in short bursts otherwise the Ent would be tearing around at 9.9 on every trip

Plus its human nature to say "At 60mph we'll be home in 2 hours time", even though the average speed of the car might only be 45 miles an hour. Maybe the warp-speed mathematics were easier if they rounded up to maximum warp.

Really, I don't see whats wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Worf defeats Gowron in DS9 epidode "tacking into the wind", to win the chancellorship, and promptly hands it to Martok.

This makes no sense. From an in universe pov or from a storytelling pov.

It was the perfect, if hammy, ending for Worf. The man alone becomes the leader of the Empire ... come on ... perfect!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So on a Galaxy Class (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.2) it takes 300 years to travel 2.7 million light years but an Intrepid Class, (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.975) it takes 70 years to travel 70000 light years. :confused:

Voyagers moveable pylons and magic deflector answers all these

Don't for get the Punching her way through Captain that deserved a court martial and not a promotion, on return home

Worf defeats Gowron in DS9 epidode "tacking into the wind", to win the chancellorship, and promptly hands it to Martok.

This makes no sense. From an in universe pov or from a storytelling pov.

It was the perfect, if hammy, ending for Worf. The man alone becomes the leader of the Empire ... come on ... perfect!!

Can't say I agree there. Worf is the ultimate Klingon, honour & duty are paramount to him. Form his perspective, he knew how much better for the empire it'd be for Gowron to lead the empire, as opposed to himself. Don't forget he grew up around humans too, & traits like that have certainly rubbed off on him...

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Can't say I agree there. Worf is the ultimate Klingon, honour & duty are paramount to him. Form his perspective, he knew how much better for the empire it'd be for Gowron to lead the empire, as opposed to himself. Don't forget he grew up around humans too, & traits like that have certainly rubbed off on him...

That's why it's all the better an ending for him. A lifetime living in the Federation where he is aggresivly accepted on merit, but he doesn't want to live in, and a lifetime of exclusion from the empire and society he wants to be a part of.

Worf is the only klingon you see that acts honourably at every turn, except for when "his klingon heart demands".

He is Kahless come again. Him becoming Chancellor was a pefect ending, and a much better fit than Nagus Rom.

Nope. If it is travelling at Warp then it is within the warp field, of the ship and only has to compensate as it leave that.
    If it is travelling at impulse then the shuttle is travelling at impulse already, relative with the ship that it is leaving.

That is nonsense. as soon as it leaves contact with the ship it is out of that system and has to avoid hitting it.

A good example of this is Sulus attempt to manually land a shuttle in Final Frontier.

Him becoming Chancellor was a pefect ending, and a much better fit than Nagus Rom.

I'll grant you that, I thought that was ridiculous actually. Re Worf though, it would have been a bit too 'fairytale' if you get me...I look at it in the sense that he saved the Empire that spurned him (by removing Gowron from power). Ever the man of honor.

That is nonsense. as soon as it leaves contact with the ship it is out of that system and has to avoid hitting it.

A good example of this is Sulus attempt to manually land a shuttle in Final Frontier.

I'm not sure, I'd be inclined to agree with norrie there. In space, all motion is relative, therefore if a shuttle left the front of a ship when the ship was at warp, the shuttle would emerge at warp speed relative to a stationary object. Remember the Enterprise-D saucer separation in Encounter at Farpoint? The saucer detached from the secondary hull & both remained at warp...the saucer would have fell out of warp speed not long after as it wouldn't have been able to sustain the speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ezri does make the point that Worf was willing to accept a corrupt government in charge of the Empire. He defends Gowron during the civil war when a Klingon challenged him for the leadership, Worf called it madness then.

Nagus Rom is cringeworthy stuff.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ezri does make the point that Worf was willing to accept a corrupt government in charge of the Empire. He defends Gowron during the civil war when a Klingon challenged him for the leadership, Worf called it madness then.

Nagus Rom is cringeworthy stuff.

Ezris point is 100% right. Worf has consistently accepted a dishonourable and corrupt leadership to protect the overall honourable image of the empire.

For him to seize control and force the Empire to walk the walk honour wise instead of just talking it would have been a great end for the character.

As it stands, he is appointed Federation Ambassador to Quonos. A role I feel he is particularly ill suited to. He is completly mired in Klingon politics. He's directly influenced / caused the appointement of the current leadership. How can he represent Fed interests there in any way?

As it stands, he is appointed Federation Ambassador to Quonos. A role I feel he is particularly ill suited to. He is completly mired in Klingon politics. He's directly influenced / caused the appointement of the current leadership. How can he represent Fed interests there in any way?

Its not like the federation had a whole nest of Klingons with Federation-centric agendas to choose from.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I'd be inclined to agree with norrie there. In space, all motion is relative, therefore if a shuttle left the front of a ship when the ship was at warp, the shuttle would emerge at warp speed relative to a stationary object. Remember the Enterprise-D saucer separation in Encounter at Farpoint? The saucer detached from the secondary hull & both remained at warp...the saucer would have fell out of warp speed not long after as it wouldn't have been able to sustain the speed

Absolutely, the warp argument I see. As I understand the fictional technology of warp, while in a warp bubble the ship and its contents are for all effect stationary, its the warp bubble itself that is moving.

But what I was suggesting was any non faster than light motion would cause a forward exit from a ship difficult. As soon as the shuttle leaves the ship floor it is immediately stationary and under its own motion.

Imagine your standing on a train, if you jump your position on the train moves as it moves underneath you. If you jump on a starship you ship does not move underneath you because the ship is the source of your gravity. Thats why everyone doesnt get slammed into walls when the ship moves.

Once you maneuver a shuttle under its own power you are out of this gravity field, even speeds such as thrusters or an orbit would be problematic.

OK i really do not get you.
    If I am in a train and I jump, I land on the same spot. Why? Because I am moving at the same speed as the train. Relative to the train I am stationary, relative to the ground beneath the train I am moving at 70mph.

If I am standing on TOP of the train and I jump then air friction slows me down and the train (under its own propulsion moves faster than my new speed). If there were a vacuum there I would have landed in the spot that I jumped from as air friction is not present.
    example is how easy it is to move your hand forward in a car (moving at 100mph) open the window, stick your hand out and move it forward, air friction now makes that a much harder thing to do.

People don't get slammed to the wall as Trek has inertial dampeners. These things are only needed during speed changes of the ship. The equivalent is that you can comfortably travel at 400mph in a plane but you get slammed into your seat at take off as the plane accelerates.

It has nothing to do with the "gravity" field of the ship. If the ship is travelling at 1/2 impulse then the shuttle is travelling at 1/2 impulse, as is the air in the ship and everything else. If the shuttle begins to move forward, at 10kmh, it is travelling at a ship relative speed of 10kmh but outside the ship it is travelling at 1/2impulse+10kmh.
    If it continues out of the shuttle bay and there is no air friction to cause drag slowing it down it is still travelling at 1/2+10, just like if you are standing on something moving fast and throw something ahead of you. It will move faster that the object that you are standing on (untill air slows it down).
    Just because the shuttle can normally not travel at 1/2 impulse is not the point, the inertia to get to that speed has been provided for by the ship that it is leaving

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoG8UB4UkfZNhTzFt7xI_wYMtZoLVtKPi8FNq2XNSqV8Uk-kilaw

syklops wrote: »
    Its not like the federation had a whole nest of Klingons with Federation-centric agendas to choose from.

Yes but I'm sure they have a diplomatic core blocked full of diplomats who are not major players in high end politics in the empire

OK i really do not get you.
    If I am in a train and I jump, I land on the same spot. Why? Because I am moving at the same speed as the train. Relative to the train I am stationary, relative to the ground beneath the train I am moving at 70mph.

If I am standing on TOP of the train and I jump then air friction slows me down and the train (under its own propulsion moves faster than my new speed). If there were a vacuum there I would have landed in the spot that I jumped from as air friction is not present.
    example is how easy it is to move your hand forward in a car (moving at 100mph) open the window, stick your hand out and move it forward, air friction now makes that a much harder thing to do.

People don't get slammed to the wall as Trek has inertial dampeners. These things are only needed during speed changes of the ship. The equivalent is that you can comfortably travel at 400mph in a plane but you get slammed into your seat at take off as the plane accelerates.

It has nothing to do with the "gravity" field of the ship. If the ship is travelling at 1/2 impulse then the shuttle is travelling at 1/2 impulse, as is the air in the ship and everything else. If the shuttle begins to move forward, at 10kmh, it is travelling at a ship relative speed of 10kmh but outside the ship it is travelling at 1/2impulse+10kmh.
    If it continues out of the shuttle bay and there is no air friction to cause drag slowing it down it is still travelling at 1/2+10, just like if you are standing on something moving fast and throw something ahead of you. It will move faster that the object that you are standing on (untill air slows it down).
    Just because the shuttle can normally not travel at 1/2 impulse is not the point, the inertia to get to that speed has been provided for by the ship that it is leaving

If the shuttle flies up and the ship flies down they smash into each other.

Honestly Worf, given his family shunning, standing, shunning, absorption into Martok's family (a family of huge influence), his own standing as pretty much Martok's right hand and his relationship with Gowron, should have been posted as far from potential conflicts of interest and influence of/from the Klingon empire.

If the shuttle flies up and the ship flies down they smash into each other.

If the shuttle flies up and the ship stays where it is, they still smash into each other.
    If the ship is hovering and the ship flies down they don't, it will go with it (within reason, same force that stops people leaving their positions when the ship flies "down". There is no down in space/zero G :)). The Shuttle, to leave the decking of the ship has to generate thrust to counter the gravity of that decking, to a particular height, the gravity still has a hold on the Up/Down aspect of things (the inertial dampeners also act to prevent the ship moving in a way to change the position of the items within).
    It is only generating enough thrust to counter that amount of gravity, not to break away from it.

That is why people don't fly away from earth when they jump away from it, even though the earth is moving through space at an awesome speed.
    No on on earth is not moving. We are all moving at the speed on the Earth, if we are on the opposite side of the direction of earth's movement and jump we don't drift away. It still pulls us back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Lads, its science fiction. dont ruin my lovely perception of Star Trek by bogging it all down in physics. I failed physics in college. I really dont need ye to remind me why! :D

Back to the run through. I should be starting S5, but I should REALLY be doing college work. something else putting me off it is the Klingon / Romulan story line. urgh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement