Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My glands don't work properly so the heat isn't my friend, but I love watching our cats basking in the sunlight. Felix is loving the heat from the bark chips and spends his mornings rolling on it. Poppy blocks the front door sprawled on the door mat and Jazzy loves the top of Tobys cat house. Toby meanwhile likes our bed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Good luck Rusty and Moone!! I'm starting to wonder if Lucy may have had a silent heat a few months ago - we're waiting for her to have a heat before we get her spayed. It's been 3 years since I had a holiday - first I knew I was going to made redundant so saved instead, then I was made redundant the next year and didn't take one and then last year we got Lucy..I'd LOVE to book something but know Murphy's law the day we drop her off she'll go into heat! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

That's what happened to moone, she wasn't due to go into heat until March this year so I booked her in for the first week of January then she of course didn't play along and went into heat just after Christmas! So there won't be any worry of that next week

SingItOut wrote: »
    That's what happened to moone, she wasn't due to go into heat until March this year so I booked her in for the first week of January then she of course didn't play along and went into heat just after Christmas! So there won't be any worry of that next week

Are you going with a traditional spay? I'm tempted to go for keyhole for Lucy for the quick recovery time and not having to mind stitches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I was thinking of doing the keyhole surgery if my vet allows it, I think it'll be less traumatic for moone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I was thinking of doing the keyhole surgery if my vet allows it, I think it'll be less traumatic for moone

Poor Moone - Im sure she will be fine so try not to worry too much - she will be home in the evening, so have some nice cooked chicken or something yummy to bribe her with so she forgives you faster. Best of luck!

Only certain vets do it. Ours doesn't - if they did I'd have no questions about which option to take. It's trusting another vet that has me wondering. Our own vets are 2 mins around the corner too so on our doorstep. Poor Bailey is terrified of cones so another plus of the keyhole option for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

everybody fed after a difficult day. first job as soon as i get home is feed dogs and cats of course.

wrist has been getting more and more painful and has never even in plaster looked straight. still looked out of alignment. veering sideways..at an angle

this morning it was swelling so after the craft fair went to the local hospital in that town where they have a limited a and e.
    sure enough is is still as it was three weeks ago and the k wires are not where i thought they would be. looks as if the bone was never set. usually i would have asked questions but was too shaken after the accident.

they put the x rays on cd so very early tomorrow will arrive at the big a and e where it was done. needs it seems either setting properly and then a cast or internal pinning.
    whichever, means another six weeks..could weep

teaching hospital and drs young. will get it sorted; would not take this from a vet for a dog or cat..
    will go prepared to stay in. again...

day started badly as could not find car keys...two hours later..

not a chocolate egg in sight but a kind man gave me 4 painted hen eggs.

and heard a cuckoo here this morning...

tk123 wrote: »
    Good luck Rusty and Moone!! I'm starting to wonder if Lucy may have had a silent heat a few months ago - we're waiting for her to have a heat before we get her spayed. It's been 3 years since I had a holiday - first I knew I was going to made redundant so saved instead, then I was made redundant the next year and didn't take one and then last year we got Lucy..I'd LOVE to book something but know Murphy's law the day we drop her off she'll go into heat! :p

have not had a holiday for...... i think it was 1980 something. too much hassle and cost, but would not enjoy it frankly. did try about ten years ago but was home within 48 hours...lol!

My glands don't work properly so the heat isn't my friend, but I love watching our cats basking in the sunlight. Felix is loving the heat from the bark chips and spends his mornings rolling on it. Poppy blocks the front door sprawled on the door mat and Jazzy loves the top of Tobys cat house. Toby meanwhile likes our bed:)

it was a glorious day. my route to the craft fair was through spectacular mountain and coastal scenery. breathtaking.

• Advertisement

:mad: I posted a month or so about a little dog that had been following us to the local shopping centre one day. It was out with some very young kids, no collar, so no id. Well surprise surprise there's a notice on my local facebook page that 'Gizmo' has been missing since Friday.

I think many people in this country have the same attitude to dog ownership as they do to drink driving, i.e, it applies to others and not to them. There are 4 dogs out the front of our house today, all running around unsupervised, same as every other day really, all day every day. Of course when they're picked up by the dog warden it'll be the same old 'sure he just escaped out of the garden' story:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The lab that poops outside my house is back, haven't seen him since I bagged it and tied it on his collar about 2 or 3 months ago.
    Poor dog is about twice the size he should be, must have been getting no exercise.

Having a rest today, spent all Friday gardening, resulting in not being able to move Friday night, Saturday I baked all day for a bake sale, Sunday was spent at said bake sale, then had a BBQ, which turned out to be oven baked as it started raining!
    All the cleaning up is done, floors mopped, so I'm staying on the sofa the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We think Harley prevented a break in at my parents house over the weekend. They sleep in the kitchen when we visit and he's usually really quiet but he started to knock it off barking early in the morning. Someone got up to check him and they turned on lights. Later we found out someone had opened the garden gate (we're so careful with it and it's way too heavy to blow in) and about ten mins after Harley barked, the neighbours house was broken into and stuff robbed. So it looks like they tried where we were then moved on. He's a good boy.

Phoe is being a super minder for his temporary little sister. He's playing so nicely and gently. He looks like the BFG beside her. She's darting about all light footed like a little bunny and he's lumbering about after her, slowed by the heat pretending to play chase.

:mad: I posted a month or so about a little dog that had been following us to the local shopping centre one day. It was out with some very young kids, no collar, so no id. Well surprise surprise there's a notice on my local facebook page that 'Gizmo' has been missing since Friday.

I think many people in this country have the same attitude to dog ownership as they do to drink driving, i.e, it applies to others and not to them. There are 4 dogs out the front of our house today, all running around unsupervised, same as every other day really, all day every day. Of course when they're picked up by the dog warden it'll be the same old 'sure he just escaped out of the garden' story:rolleyes:

amen to this. as i have said before, stuffed toys feel no pain. in the village where i trade, there are several local dogs roaming loose on a busy road. one lovely boxer is heavily scarred after at least two collisions but they still let it roam. you can tell the visitors as they have their dogs on leads

the traders are bad too, bringing their dogs and leaving them loose

Whispered wrote: »
    We think Harley prevented a break in at my parents house over the weekend. They sleep in the kitchen when we visit and he's usually really quiet but he started to knock it off barking early in the morning. Someone got up to check him and they turned on lights. Later we found out someone had opened the garden gate (we're so careful with it and it's way too heavy to blow in) and about ten mins after Harley barked, the neighbours house was broken into and stuff robbed. So it looks like they tried where we were then moved on. He's a good boy.

Phoe is being a super minder for his temporary little sister. He's playing so nicely and gently. He looks like the BFG beside her. She's darting about all light footed like a little bunny and he's lumbering about after her, slowed by the heat pretending to play chase.

well done that dog! my two make so much noise when anyone comes near...heard once about a sensor that sounds off like dogs barking

long morning at a and e. each dr i saw had a different story re the wrist. finally i got to the orthopaedic reg . one of the k wires had slipped hence the greater pain etc. learned fron a us anaesthetist at my market stall that they insert them with a gun. so they are out. but my consultant was not on call so i have to go back on weds for decision re letting it set slightly off kilter or surgery to reset or pin etc. got most info from a very experienced male nurse. why they dont tell us everthing i have no idea. it was not a simple break but impacted.
    at one stage i has three men tending to the arm, all of different nationalities. such is modern ireland.

the pain is still knocking me sick.

so today, market, tomorrow back to the hospital. i still think our pets get better treatment than we do - but then they have us to fight for them.

dunnes had cadbury creme eggs on special. 2 three packs for 1.99 ...not eaten one yet but they are there.

issues at market too as there is local hassle re street trading from time to time and this is one such time

after wednesday unless i am in hospital, a few quiet days to enjoy my peace and my critters. the feral has decided enough is enough and is staying home and feeding himself up. sounds very good to me.

we could learn so much from our critters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Had Rusty back at the vets for more blood tests. These ones are for a full anaemia screen done in Cork, So should here something back by wed eve or thurs morning.

The vet reckons its probably cancer, they've ruled out his kidneys. He's lost weight and his breathing is laboured. He's on a course of antibiotics for seven days.

Problem is it has already cost us 250 euro so far on blood tests and medication. I really don't think we could afford treatment for him if it is cancer. The vet doesn't seem to offer payment plans, there are notices everywhere stating payment must be made on day of treatment/consultation.

Its such a tough decision for people to make, but trying not to stress /worry too much just yet until the results are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Angeldaisy I am so sorry to read your latest update on Rusty.

When the blood results come back it will be time to have a full and frank discussion with your vet. If treatment is an option and you want to go down that route then be upfront about needing to spread the payments. Vets like every other business are aware of how things are money wise for people. I would guess that the signs are up discourage rather than prevent you from asking to spread payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I saw a news article from a regional paper online recently where the headline was along the lines of "family campaign to stop dog's trips to the pound". Bascially, an elderly dog was in the pound, having been picked up previously and the family thought this was a disgrace, they didn't want to pay the fines, sure he always goes for his own little walk. When I checked out the associated FB page, some of the comments were unreal. One woman was giving out that she lives near the pound and had to let her dog go as, after five times, she couldn't afford to keep taking him out. Someone else complained that it's not right that their dog has to be kept in after it was picked up previously. The lack of responsibility was just unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

mosi wrote: »
    I saw a news article from a regional paper online recently where the headline was along the lines of "family campaign to stop dog's trips to the pound". Bascially, an elderly dog was in the pound, having been picked up previously and the family thought this was a disgrace, they didn't want to pay the fines, sure he always goes for his own little walk. When I checked out the associated FB page, some of the comments were unreal. One woman was giving out that she lives near the pound and had to let her dog go as, after five times, she couldn't afford to keep taking him out. Someone else complained that it's not right that their dog has to be kept in after it was picked up previously. The lack of responsibility was just unreal.

:confused: What. the. F**k. Is wrong with these people. I had never ever come across this until I moved to Ireland, like it's practically your duty to let your dog roam the streets. Absolutely gobsmacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

We went out and bought a crate today, almost all ready for our new pup to join us :D

Our computer is hooked up to the TV and last night I was on YouTube and ended up watching cat videos (as you do :pac:) and Max was sitting on one of the armchairs lazing about. Next thing you know he's sitting up, all wide eyed staring at the TV watching the cats. Then he moved closer so he was right in front of it and stayed there for a good 10 mins before he was on his hind legs, front paws pressed against the screen.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    :confused: What. the. F**k. Is wrong with these people. I had never ever come across this until I moved to Ireland, like it's practically your duty to let your dog roam the streets. Absolutely gobsmacked.

unbelievable sometimes. i traded today in the village. opposite the grocery shop.one of the women who works there owns a beautiful boxer bitch. who has a heavily scarred back and sides after two - accidents-on the busy road. - instead of inverted commas.

dog is still roaming.

today madam comes to the shop doorway as boxer is passing and croons saccharine style, baby girl!
    then goes back into the shop...dog races across the road and narrowly misses being run over again,.

later, a visitor with 2 utterly lovely red setters on leads. up comes one of the local male dogs and starts mounting one of the setters and took a lot of dissuading.

there are around 8 local dogs running free. when the new community garda came 3 years ago i think he did try to sort it, but no real success.

A cat was found in Dublin 5, it's paws had been tied together and it had been burned to death over a fire. Some days I don't know whether to throw up or scream:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

My neighbour has been away for a few days and I've been looking after her little black cat Jethro. He is an absolute dream compared to my 2. I wonder will she swap me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

A cat was found in Dublin 5, it's paws had been tied together and it had been burned to death over a fire. Some days I don't know whether to throw up or scream:(

I feel like throwing up after reading that. What the hell is wrong with some people.. :(

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    I feel like throwing up after reading that. What the hell is wrong with some people.. :(

beggars belief but then you read what is happening in the sudan....mans utter inhumanity to man and critters

when i was waiting in a and e, early easter monday, there were several youngsters, men in their late teens. they all looked and probably were stoned out of their minds. just not there..someone who had been there some while told me of the men there earlier, black eyes and drunk etc.

drugs will be behind these atrocities. the kids now have had life too easy. no challenges. violence on tv and here. stoned.

We went out and bought a crate today, almost all ready for our new pup to join us :D

Our computer is hooked up to the TV and last night I was on YouTube and ended up watching cat videos (as you do :pac:) and Max was sitting on one of the armchairs lazing about. Next thing you know he's sitting up, all wide eyed staring at the TV watching the cats. Then he moved closer so he was right in front of it and stayed there for a good 10 mins before he was on his hind legs, front paws pressed against the screen.

had a cat who used to love watching bird programmes on tv. up pawing the screen, then she realised they must be inside the box so went round the back of the tv to seek them. she was half siamese and very cute.

I saw a pretty duvet cover in Debenhams window last week. White with little blue butterflies sewn on. My first thought was ah, that's really pretty. My second thought was that the white would show up the cat fur and the cats would probably have pulled off all the butterflies within a week:D It's funny how you end up subconciously buying stuff that hides pet fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm totally devastated, I've been involved with community games for the last 13 years and this is the first time that there just hasn't been enough interest with the local kids. Heartbreaking to have to cancel it for the kids who are interested but it's just not feesable this year :(

• Advertisement

I saw a pretty duvet cover in Debenhams window last week. White with little blue butterflies sewn on. My first thought was ah, that's really pretty. My second thought was that the white would show up the cat fur and the cats would probably have pulled off all the butterflies within a week:D It's funny how you end up subconciously buying stuff that hides pet fur.

I have fleeces and tops that I leave in work so they don't get wrecked with fur :p When I was in hospital the other week my feet were cold, put my socks on then realised they were full of fur and was ashamed so took them off and stayed cold! :roll eyes:

<rant> I need a bigger freezer for the dog meat...and a shed to put it in!!! GAAH!!!!:mad::( </rant>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement