Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    He was pretty much pushed out the door because Horan should have know full well he had handle Conoreen better than he did or there would be problems.

He did the same thing to Feeney and it remains a mystery why Feeney even bothering training for the best part of a year this season when he knew he was on Horan's blacklist. The natural response is to lose interest if you're not getting a fair shake, and Conoreen wasn't.

Conoreen was no more wrong going than Feeney was wrong staying. The only constant is Horan, so let's not absolve him because he (in Conoreen's words) lost ye a few more AI finals.

Richie was the bigger man for staying and fighting for his place, Conor ran off and his parents did his talking for him.
    Conor appeared and lost as man AI's as Horan, possibly because he didn't appear on the big day as has been stated.
    Conors days have passed, his own choice, if he had stayed and fought for his place then he would have respect from the Mayo GAA fans, he didn't.
    His parents compounded the situation by making a press statement, sad to say the least.
    Time Conor moved on, the rest of Mayo GAA has.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Strange the hate in Mayo for Conoreen.

Horan pretty much froze him out when he came back from the injury and was playing quite well. On no planet was Enda Varley a better bet in the corner than Mayo's all-time top scorer.

The reality is he is high maintence but that he also should have been managed better. That said, Horan's tenure was poc-marked by poor man-management so it doesn't look as surprising in retrospect.

Could easily have been the difference in winning one of the two AI finals or either Kerry game this year.

Conoreen didn't win, and Mayo certainly didn't either. Sad for everyone involved and when the white anger dies away most will see that.

The above is absolute rubbish. And I'd sincerely doubt anyone in Mayo "hates" Mortimer. It's as obvious as day that the lad is a few sandwiches short of a full picnic but the Mayo public know he was a very talented player, particularly at kicking points from inside 30 metres.

Anyone who knows their football also knows that the week before a Connaught final Mortimer quit the panel because he wasn't picked to start on the team. You'd want to be some sort of ego-maniac/idiot/selfish (you choose the correct one) individual to leave your team-mates the week before a big game when you know it's going to make headlines and distract from team preparations if you do.

Horan did not lack man-management skills, that was arguably one of his strongest points. The players loved him and so many of them improved their games dramatically under him. He took no **** either (same as all good managers) so when a gob****e like Mortimer walks off the panel at a really inappropriate time, he's hardly gonna go calling him back into the panel anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mhaigheo

Well said GBX1.At the end of the day Mort walked off the panel and doing it the week of the Connacht final caused as much disruption as possible.And the funny thing about the whole saga is that I never have heard any Mayo supporter calling for him to be brought back into the panel even tho he was Mayos all time leading scorer and we could have done with another scoring forward.People lost respect for Mort with him leaving when he did and the letter from his family which has to go down as the biggest laugh of all time.No harm to you Syferus but you are better off sticking to commenting about the Rossies rather than pretending you know the ins and outs of Mayo football

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He was pretty much pushed out the door because Horan should have know full well he had handle Conoreen better than he did or there would be problems.

He did the same thing to Feeney and it remains a mystery why Feeney even bothering training for the best part of a year this season when he knew he was on Horan's blacklist. The natural response is to lose interest if you're not getting a fair shake, and Conoreen wasn't.

Conoreen was no more wrong going than Feeney was wrong staying. The only constant is Horan, so let's not absolve him because he (in Conoreen's words) lost ye a few more AI finals.

What, so he should have had appeased Mortimer to keep in in the squad ?.

Horan is a stubborn as a mule most of the time, but he was dead right to allow Mortimer to walk out the door and get on with the job in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

No harm to you Syferus but you are better off sticking to commenting about the Rossies rather than pretending you know the ins and outs of Mayo football.
    Syferus knows more about mayo football than id say have the people on this thread just cos he from/supports the rossies we all have or problems does not mean any thing.
    i dont no where your going "mhaigheo" with your 7 posts..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think it's a lot of ifs and maybes about Mortimer, yeah he could've been the difference if he subscribed to the team ethos like every other player on the panel. Of course he didn't do that in 2012 and to be honest if Horan went off giving him special treatment how would the rest of the players busting their ass feel?

As Alan Dillon said in 2013 after they beat Galway - there's no secret to it, if you lose the ball in the forwards you work your ass off to get it back. Mortimer was never that type of player although very talented...could his mindset have changed now? Well maybe, he's 32 now and open to coming back as a squad player, if his attitude has changed he may well appear in a Mayo shirt again.

Mayo v Galway in the Masters final now on Irish TV. CH 191 Sky.

Mayo v Galway in the Masters final now on Irish TV. CH 191 Sky.

Galway win 7 to 6.
    Oh well just another all Ireland lost,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

well done too achill gaa into the connaght junior final against the aran islands .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

has anyone got a link to the press release from mortimers parents?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Mortimer kinda throws his hat in the ring about playing for Mayo for another year:

http://www.newstalk.com/player/home/Monday_Rewind/Monday_Rewind/68000/conor_mortimer_opens_up_shane_byrnes_autumn_preview

KMFCross wrote: »
    Mortimer kinda throws his hat in the ring about playing for Mayo for another year:

http://www.newstalk.com/player/home/Monday_Rewind/Monday_Rewind/68000/conor_mortimer_opens_up_shane_byrnes_autumn_preview

I think we need to look forward and not back, he had his chance and he walked away and stayed away. The game has changed a lot in the couple of years he has been away and I think bringing him back at the expense of getting one or more of the minor/U21 team into game time and aide their development.
    One of our main concerns is full-back, unless he can play there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

While we are in the process of unearthing new forwards and further developing current ones it might be no harm to give him a try out. If his attitude is right and he's on form I think it's worth a shot. It's true the game has evolved in the last couple years but at the end of the day a forwards primary role is still to score and Connor was one of the best in the business. A player like that, to spring from the bench could have won us that game down in limerick. Most people were all for giving Gavin Duffy a try out last year, i see this as a more logical punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

ColeTrain wrote: »
    They forgot to give their views on Animal Shelters

@Conmort: I can't believe dogs are being skinned alive for their meat. SIGN THE PETITION to help end the #DogMeatTrade. http://bit.ly/1009TT3
    close enough and just tweeted :D

gigantic09 wrote: »
    While we are in the process of unearthing new forwards and further developing current ones it might be no harm to give him a try out. If his attitude is right and he's on form I think it's worth a shot. It's true the game has evolved in the last couple years but at the end of the day a forwards primary role is still to score and Connor was one of the best in the business. A player like that, to spring from the bench could have won us that game down in limerick. Most people were all for giving Gavin Duffy a try out last year, i see this as a more logical punt.

Let him stay at home and read his book for all I give a sh1te about him he walked before that's him finished in my book.

naughto wrote: »
    Let him stay at home and read his book for all I give a sh1te about him he walked before that's him finished in my book.

Robbie hennelly also did
    the same year
    as he was working in Dublin ........
    ;)

km79 wrote: »
    Robbie hennelly also did
    the same year
    as he was working in Dublin ........
    ;)

There's a difference between walking due to work Ect
    Mort walked cos his ego got hurt,not marking tge team.

There's a difference between walking due to work Ect
    Mort walked cos his ego got hurt,not marking tge team.

and driving up and down from work in Dublin
    who knows if he worked more locally like Richie Feeney for example maybe he would have stuck with it.
    I think sometimes we forget these guys are amateur sportsmen

• Advertisement

Totally disagree.

There is new management in place, if Mortimer wants to come back and if he is mature enough to do what the management deem best for the team then he is welcome back in my eyes.

Is your book finished though?. seriously managements job is to get together the best panel of players available, not the soundest panel of players. He can pull of his jersey to reveal 'I love Gary glitter' for all I care, if the end result is us winning sam.

Why are so many of ye egar for him to come back he's 32 as far as I no?
    He hasn't played champship football in what 4yrs the game has moved on so much sine he last played for mayo.
    People are saying he's flying in club and training we all no there's a massive difference.
    His fitness,condition will be well below what it should be to make any county team and at the end of the day he's to small and to light.
    Now don't get me wrong he WAS a very good player one of the best we ever had but it was his choice not to play for mayo.
    What will happen if he does nt make the team under Connolly/homes will he walk again ?

Why are so many of ye egar for him to come back he's 32 as far as I no?
    He hasn't played champship football in what 4yrs the game has moved on so much sine he last played for mayo.
    People are saying he's flying in club and training we all no there's a massive difference.
    His fitness,condition will be well below what it should be to make any county team and at the end of the day he's to small and to light.
    Now don't get me wrong he WAS a very good player one of the best we ever had but it was his choice not to play for mayo.
    What will happen if he does nt make the team under Connolly/homes will he walk again ?

I'm not sure people are that eager for him to come back as you are suggesting they are.

I am pointing out that if he was to make himself available and if he is willing to taken on whichever role the management deem appropriate then he should be considered.

If he is not interested in coming back, or if he is not mature enough, or if he is no longer up to standard, then so be it.

I'm not sure people are that eager for him to come back as you are suggesting they are.

I am pointing out that if he was to make himself available and if he is willing to taken on whichever role the management deem appropriate then he should be considered.

If he is not interested in coming back, or if he is not mature enough, or if he is no longer up to standard, then so be it.

Indeed he may well no longer be even good enough to warrant a place on the panel. Hopefully however C&H adopt a 'clean slate' approach when they are assembling a squad so players who have fallen by the wayside over last couple of years for reasons other than football ability are offered another shot .

Mayo DESPERATELY need another scoring forward. He is doing it in the Dublin championship. He can take a little of the free taking burden off Cillian when its too far right. McLoughlin is not reliable enough even for the supposed "easy" ones.
    IF he is still good enough he has to be brought in. He is a better corner forward option than varley and Conroy anyway.
    He is in his early 30s of course......same as Donaghy and a few more!
    The current squad are so close but need fresh attacking blood. Both experienced and new blood
    Mark Ronaldson has been brought back in too apparently.
    Who offers more scoring threat?
    Mayo need scorers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

If Conor Mortimer wants another shot at playing for Mayo then why not?Everybody is entitled to make a mistake,forgive and forget.If he has something to offer to the panel/team and has learned to temper his individualistic tendencies he should be welcomed back with open arms.
    As mentioned already I believe the current squad are within touching distance of realising every Mayo persons ambition but we are in desperate need of another scoring forward.Surely he's got as much to offer as either Varley or Conroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I just can't believe people are so naive that they think that gob will change his colours. There is only one person Mortimer cares about and that is himself. He is a disruption in every aspect and this will not change. He will try to undermine any manager that comes in and if anyone thinks he will be an asset is a complete and utter fool.

He is a big man for the small day and a small man for the big day. He has never delivered on the biggest day for Mayo when they needed him most. He may be the highest scorer of all time but he is one of the biggest gob****es to wear the jersey.

Mayo have moved away from this kind of media whoring and to bring someone back who will entertain this media circus is a serious mistake. It will only end in tears. We are will rid of this clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You wonder why anyone would ever bother being a county player sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I just can't believe people are so naive that they think that gob will change his colours. There is only one person Mortimer cares about and that is himself. He is a disruption in every aspect and this will not change. He will try to undermine any manager that comes in and if anyone thinks he will be an asset is a complete and utter fool.

He is a big man for the small day and a small man for the big day. He has never delivered on the biggest day for Mayo when they needed him most. He may be the highest scorer of all time but he is one of the biggest gob****es to wear the jersey.

Mayo have moved away from this kind of media whoring and to bring someone back who will entertain this media circus is a serious mistake. It will only end in tears. We are will rid of this clown.

Looking from outside its hard not to agree with this. Mayo have worked very hard into becoming a team that is difficult to play against, defend from the front and work as a team. Horan made some mistakes in the finals in particular but he completely changed how Mayo are perceived by other teams. He turned Mayo from a nice football team into a very good team who work extremely hard as a unit and knew what they were about and go about things in a professional manner.

Mortimer epitomised why Mayo fell so badly short in the spell previous to this, limited tactics, forwards not working hard enough off the ball, forwards not able to win the dirty ball on the big days and all in all going into big games with a naive sort of attitude of a 15 v 15 open match. Add his unique personality to that and its hard to make a case for him. In his prime, he made no impact on the big day and to be blunt Kerry were only laughing at him in both All-Irelands.

If Mortimer is brought back in I'll take it as read that Mayo aren't serious All-Ireland contenders in 2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement