Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Panel 2008

• 06-11-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

The Panel returns tonight with Ray D'Arcy at the helm. A friend of mine saw an edition with D'Arcy at UCD and says he no Dara O'Briain. Obviously they've been struggling since he left but hopefully tonight will be good :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

legendal wrote: »
    The Panel returns tonight with Ray D'Arcy at the helm. A friend of mine saw an edition with D'Arcy at UCD and says he no Dara O'Briain. Obviously they've been struggling since he left but hopefully tonight will be good :D

They could have Our Lord (or Arnold) at the helm and it would still terrible. It was terrible from day one and only got worse from then. Now moving it to RTE1 which is only an admittance of it's uselessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

(Fr) D'arcy? Jebus! RTE 1? Double Jebus!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i hope he surprises me but i'd say he's too pedantic for humour imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ray Darcy?

I am not happy.

Not happy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Ray D'arcy... awww crap... that's the Panel ruined :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sure if he has his sidekick Mairead on with him it'll just be like a tv version of his radio show. Wow great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Awful waste of TV license payers money.

You know if Ray would just shut up then I might actually laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

He is ruining it!

Please... please let this all be a joke... Andrew Maxwell is going to jump out of hiding and stab D'arcy in the eye with a really sharp pointy stick while singing at the top of his voice (in his high pitched Bosco impression)

"I'm a little tea pot short and stout..."

Oh jebus Kevin Myers... it's like the perfect storm of effin' sh*t :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatsmore its now pre-recorded so there is no excuse for it being lame ;)

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This isnt funny. :(

mike65 wrote: »
    Whatsmore its now pre-recorded so there is no excuse for it being lame ;)

Mike

It's been pre-recorded for years! It was normally recorded on the Sunday and broadcast on the Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Myers and D'Arcy on the same screen...that's it, i'm getting out the shotgun.

I'm all for serious current affairs shows, but not when I'm supposed to be watching a comedy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

This isn't the Panel!

It's like If they had Questions and Answers with Neil Delamere as a guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Holy sweet fuck. This is utterly pathetic.
    D'Arcy is gash
    The chick hasn't said anything
    Jarlath Regan is as funny as a fart at your dead mother's funeral.

Why is Myers on this again ? Racist pr!ck

Delamare is crap on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

the panel is pre-rehersed, untalented tripe

sure darcy even has an ear pierced for his staged jokes

had the pleasure of being in audience once - was painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am utterly lost as to what this is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Ive had enough, Back to me Xbox i go!

why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why is Colin Murphy not hosting it???

He was good....

That way they could have another Comedian on the Panel and not have Beige D'arcy...

"Hi, I'm Ray, remember when I used to be funny...? No, neither do I...."

We need another hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Profiler wrote: »
    why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why is Colin Murphy not hosting it???

He was good....

Ah he wasnt really. The peak period of the panel dated from the removal of Fiona Looney up until the departure of Dara O Briain. After that its been very poor and a lot more obvious that its rehearsed, no fluidity at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Estella

The world has not imploded with smugness, despite Myres and Darcy being present within an inch of each other.

Nevermind the Buzzcocks is also going down the pan. Maybe comedy panel shows are on the way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

first class muck.
    drycee should be heard not seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

'I dont know what a tracker mortgage is'. Dear god. Well done Jarlath, well done. Looking rather ominous for this series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

When is Mock the Week back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd put money on a segment of tomorrow's D'Arcy show on the radio with him reading out texts from 'fans' saying how fantastic he was, how funny the show was, what a great addition he was to the show, how much he added to the show, how good he was at keeping up with the 'real' comedians, how much better he was than Dara ever was, etc. etc. etc.

Wait and see.

• Advertisement

Yes Ray, you are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that chart sketch is completely stolen from Demitri Martin:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmahD_EbHY

except his is actually funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

darcy isn't on next week might improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Christ that was absolute pants. Mainly due to D'Arsey's ability to suck the will to live outta me lately. Dara O'Briain ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dennisthemennis

leave ray alone...hero the man is...infallible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

Fail does not even cover tonight.
    Colin yes, Neil yes. Everyone else.. *shakes head in pure despair*
    It's never been quite the same since Dara left but I have to say I enjoyed the past few series. If they return to form and have the regulars on then it might just be okay.
    Keep Arsey Darcy there and I think I might have to smash the tv with my own head just so the pain will end.
    RTE congratulations on ruining one of the only decent programmes you had.

Oh and the first guest insulting the Daily Show and Colbert Report. He is a bad man. A very very bad man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Like Ray usually but he took that WAY too seriously, especially cutting Colin Murphy off to ask another serious question. Not a huge fan of Jarleth Regan either, so of a panel of five there were only two comedians really. Not a strong line-up.

Do yis reckon if we make enough complaints to RTE about Myers being on the show then we could get D'Arcy fired ? Someone called the dirtsheets and get the story printed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ConansGal wrote: »
    Fail does not even cover tonight.
    Colin yes, Neil yes. Everyone else.. *shakes head in pure despair*
    It's never been quite the same since Dara left but I have to say I enjoyed the past few series. If they return to form and have the regulars on then it might just be okay.
    Keep Arsey Darcy there and I think I might have to smash the tv with my own head just so the pain will end.
    RTE congratulations on ruining one of the only decent programmes you had.

Oh and the first guest insulting the Daily Show and Colbert Report. He is a bad man. A very very bad man.

I didn't see the first half, what was he criticising them about? There's very good reason to give out about The Daily Show at least IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Shmuck

krudler wrote: »
    that chart sketch is completely stolen from Demitri Martin:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmahD_EbHY

except his is actually funny

How annoying is that audience, they roar with laughter at the end of every one of Demitri's sentences. Also Demitri stole that joke about the glass half full/half empty of **** etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

He just mentioned the "comedy news programmes in America" saying the the Panel were much funnier than them, which by tonights standards? No!
    I can't remember the exact wording of what he said but to me it seemed like a dig at TDS/TCR.
    IMO they are both very funny, well written shows. Also they give more information than a lot of other news programmes out there. That's just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Heh, if had criticised them logically it could've been true, but claiming The Panel is funny just makes him lose all credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Estella

It was Myres, the polemicist, his bread and butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I like Darcy. I don't know where all the hate is coming from. It was a weak show but that's what I expected. Darcy wasn't trying to be a comedian he was just himself. The others on the show could have easily taken anything said in another direction. Darcy might have had the chair but he's not almighty. Conversation could easily have taken different routes if others wished.
    As others have said, the show has suffered since O Brien left. He has a deft hand at handling these types of situations and I think he further proves that on Mock the Week. It's tight but effective unlike the Panel which now seems to drawl listlesly and inevitably to a crippled conclusion.
    None of the regular talent on the show have much staying power when it comes to TV. Guest hosts can be great sometimes but I think that type of thing has been done into the ground lately with Have I Got News For You and the like in recent years. The hosts of these types of shows are in themselves the centre pieces.
    O Brien was a very good reason for watching and I'm sure most viewers would still think of him when they think The Panel even though he's gone. Mark LeMarr and now Simon Amstell on Never Mind the Buzzcocks really hold the show together with a consistent style and sense of humour. The Panel is completely scatter shot and simply doesn't have the lode stone that was O Brien. I don't see it picking up especially and I'm already a little sick of the Offaly jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tlftw16

I used to watch the panel all the time until rte made it so that only people in Ireland could watch it. :mad::(

I started watching sometime late in 2006 after I stumbled across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8wVlph7Cc
    I found it hilarious.

I was going to ask if someone would post some of the funny bits on youtube or something, but it sounds like it wasn't that good :(

tlftw16 wrote: »
    I used to watch the panel all the time until rte made it so that only people in Ireland could watch it. :mad::(

I started watching sometime late in 2006 after I stumbled across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8wVlph7Cc
    I found it hilarious.

I was going to ask if someone would post some of the funny bits on youtube or something, but it sounds like it wasn't that good :(

Odd first post, anyway, you can see some past episodes here :

http://www.rte.ie/tv/thepanel/video.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

not the may west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tlftw16

Odd first post, anyway, you can see some past episodes here :

http://www.rte.ie/tv/thepanel/video.html

Yeah, a bit of an odd first post.
    sorry.

I can't watch the videos off the rte website because I don't live in Ireland. They (rte) changed their video player thing (some time in the summer) so that it would only play for people with IP addresses from Ireland, before I could watch episodes on there, in fact that's how I managed to watch all the episodes, because I don't live in Ireland or the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Good God he actually shushed Colin! I would have got up from my seat, picked it up and f@cked it at his white balding twat head. The patronising dull cnut. It's a wonder he did not bring up his daughter Kate a couple of times too like he does daily on the radio.

As someone else said The Panel is badly missing O'Brien. If they got a settled presenter who (was funny!) was there full time then I think it would improve. Let them build up a working relationship with Neil and Colin, get to know each others sense of humour and away ye go. Forget this crap of getting a guest presenter ever week who is not funny. Getting nobs like Darcy is just going to sink the show even further into the sh1t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Last night's panel was TERRIBLE. With D'Arcy as host, they were already a comedian down, and then theres the mandatory unfunny female panelist, so that means you only potentially have 3 funny people. That Jarleth Regan guy seemed slightly nervous and rigid the whole night. All in all, the show felt like a flat current affairs programme last night, and if they do have a differnent host each week, I shudder to think what tripe we might be getting in time if Z-list guest hosts like Lucy Kennedy are invited. One of RTEs only good shows seems dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

God I hate D'Arcy. I he's such a nicey nicey lick arsey.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement