Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Hi all

Got a samgsung Galaxy a month ago and when I call anyone, they all can hear themselves back on their phones. Any ideas how to solve problem greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CMcJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

rommy wrote: »
    Hi Ben,
    Ive never tried CheckRom but only ever heard good things about it im guessing its like darkies rom in that it is close to stock,but offers a faster better rooted rom.Cyanogenmod on the other hand is a AOSP rom so its a diffrent experience,the CM team strip away all the bloat and battery wasting crap that you dont need.I prefer cm mainly becasue of its sheer speed and custom options hope that explains it to you.

Thanks Rommy, that's a pretty good recommendation.

Is there an idiots guide to installing CM on an already rooted phone?? Which CM ROM would you recommend? Is there a stable ICS version out yet or is it due soon?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks Rommy, that's a pretty good recommendation.

Is there an idiots guide to installing CM on an already rooted phone?? Which CM ROM would you recommend? Is there a stable ICS version out yet or is it due soon?

Ben
    CM9 is the ICS version, but it's still in experimental stages. Some people have reported using it as a daily ROM but there are still some relatively large bugs, so it might not be a good place to start for a beginner. Still, you can read about how people are getting on with it here. CM7 is the last stable CM ROM, and I would also recommend CheckRom as it's fantastic and very easy to install and manage. If you're interested, here's a dummies guide to installing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭digiman

Any idea when the official ICS will be available on the phone to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

squire23 wrote: »

Been using it for a few days, not really much different to LPB. Seems to be an update every week, official ROM should be ready in a few weeks I reckon, in leaked form at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Originally Posted by squire23
    Another new Samsung ICS build has leaked I9100XXLPH
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/new-samsung...-benchmark-it/
    Been using it for a few days, not really much different to LPB. Seems to be an update every week, official ROM should be ready in a few weeks I reckon, in leaked form at least.

I flashed it last night and I'm liking the fact the annoying update now notification is gone. Yes I'd say it will not be long the polished/final version will be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Hi guys,

Just a quick question about Samsung Galaxy Tab

I have Task650's Rom on my tab (v14) and I was trying to install pershoot's kernal on to it last night. When I restart the tab now all I get are lines across the screen. I can still enter recovery thank God.

I foolishly didn't have the Task650's Rom backed up on my tab or the stock but I do have backups of both on my PC.

Can I use Odin to flash any of the backups I have on my PC ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

AntiRip wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just a quick question about Samsung Galaxy Tab

I have Task650's Rom on my tab (v14) and I was trying to install pershoot's kernal on to it last night. When I restart the tab now all I get are lines across the screen. I can still enter recovery thank God.

I foolishly didn't have the Task650's Rom backed up on my tab or the stock but I do have backups of both on my PC.

Can I use Odin to flash any of the backups I have on my PC ?

Thanks

If you have am sd card reader on you comp , and you have am adapter you can put the backups back on, make sure you pout them in the clockworkmod folder. It sounds like the kernel you flashed isn't right for the ROM. Good luck

ChriisM wrote: »
    If you have am sd card reader on you comp , and you have am adapter you can put the backups back on, make sure you pout them in the clockworkmod folder. It sounds like the kernel you flashed isn't right for the ROM. Good luck

Don't have the SD adapters for the tab. Yep, wrong kernal I say. Also, the problem is that the ROM.zip needs to be in the root of the internal storage of the tab to get flashed so I don't think I will be able to access that even with the SD adapters?

Just wondering if I can do it with Odin maybe? Can't post in xda as I don't have enough posts.

Thanks

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »

Don't have the SD adapters for the tab. Yep, wrong kernal I say. Also, the problem is that the ROM.zip needs to be in the root of the internal storage of the tab to get flashed so I don't think I will be able to access that even with the SD adapters?

Just wondering if I can do it with Odin maybe? Can't post in xda as I don't have enough posts.

Thanks
    go back to wherever you got the ROM and see if you can get the original kernel, or of you still have the ROM on the sd just wipe and reflash , and if that didn't work put it into download mode and flash a stock ROM trough odin then aa custom ROM

go back to wherever you got the ROM and see if you can get the original kernel, or of you still have the ROM on the sd just wipe and reflash , and if that didn't work put it into download mode and flash a stock ROM trough odin then aa custom ROM

Didn't have the rom in my sd (lesson learnt!) but I was able to download a stock rom and reflash with Odin. All good again, just have to re-root and get a custom rom again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Can you mount your internal/external SD card in recovery mode? Should be able to in CWM recovery, you could transfer files from your PC to tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Does Modding the phone have any effect on sending MMS messages? Have it modded to the Ultra Toxic Rom and Siyah Kernel & Jkay Themes However each time I go to send an MMS it wont send?

On o2 and they sent me some settings previously but cannot get it to work

Can it be the fact that Mod not compatible with MMS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Does Modding the phone have any effect on sending MMS messages? Have it modded to the Ultra Toxic Rom and Siyah Kernel & Jkay Themes However each time I go to send an MMS it wont send?

Can't say that I have sent an MMS in a long time -with Whatsapp and the like, but this was an issue with custom ROMs before. I certainly remember MMS not working with a lot of the custom ROMs on my Hero before.

Zagato wrote: »

Can't say that I have sent an MMS in a long time -with Whatsapp and the like, but this was an issue with custom ROMs before. I certainly remember MMS not working with a lot of the custom ROMs on my Hero before.

Mms works on id say every gs2 ROM, but if it doesn't just restore a backup simple

Mms works on id say every gs2 ROM, but if it doesn't just restore a backup simple

A Back up of what?

Dont use MMS that often but would like to have the option. Using GoSMS and can create and insert a picture into an MMS message but it just won't send?

Cheers

A Back up of what?

Dont use MMS that often but would like to have the option. Using GoSMS and can create and insert a picture into an MMS message but it just won't send?

Cheers
    A backup of a previous working ROM.

And if its not sending , go into settings> network settings>apn settings and you might be on data instead of mms , give that a shot

And if its not sending , go into settings> network settings>apn settings and you might be on data instead of mms , give that a shot

Not sure if it ever worked as never had stock rom almost modded since day 1 and just tried to send an mms recently and it would not sent

Network mode is set to GSM/WCDMA and when I go into APN settings it has 02 Streaming and O2 MMS and just set the APN type to Internet and MMS. ports seem ok

I can now select either o2 streaming or o2 mms wonder is there a way you can use both without having to change each time or am I missing something, probably...

• Advertisement

Not sure if it ever worked as never had stock rom almost modded since day 1 and just tried to send an mms recently and it would not sent

Network mode is set to GSM/WCDMA and when I go into APN settings it has 02 Streaming and O2 MMS and just set the APN type to Internet and MMS. ports seem ok

I can now select either o2 streaming or o2 mms wonder is there a way you can use both without having to change each time or am I missing something, probably...

Best thing to do is check with o2, this question has more than Likely be answered before, your mms apn might he wrong SMS as far as I know you can't put boot asst the same time because there separate access points. And make sure the person at the other end has there's set to mms to be able to download it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Guys, could someone please explain how a theme via check ROM gets applied?

I've downloaded ics theme, coped to sd card, installed zip from sd card, but still get boot loops:confused:

Am I missing something?

Surely its gotta be easy, but it seems to have me beat!

On sgs2, v6 check ROM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Ghandee wrote: »

I've downloaded ics theme, coped to sd card, installed zip from sd card, but still get boot loops:confused:

Am I missing something?

On sgs2, v6 check ROM.

Install the 'theme restore' zip first from the theme section and reboot the phone, then reboot back into clockwork and flash the ics theme, voila. (Give the ics theme a few minutes to boot, it seems to load a lot of stuff)

griffdaddy wrote: »

Am I missing something?

On sgs2, v6 check ROM.

Install the 'theme restore' zip first from the theme section and reboot the phone, then reboot back into clockwork and flash the ics theme, voila. (Give the ics theme a few minutes to boot, it seems to load a lot of stuff)

Did you wipe dalvik cache?

Ugh.....

Downloaded The theme restore, installed from sd card, rebooted phone, back to cwm, installed ics package from zip.

Phone rebooted with ics boot up, next thing, no notification bar, lost ability to turn off phone, every application I attempted to start up resulted in a fc.

Rebooted into cwm after about ten attempts, wiped cache, wiped dalvic cache, reinstalled everything, but to no avail.

Had to resort to doing a restore to get the phone to function again. :confused:

Ugh.....

Downloaded The theme restore, installed from sd card, rebooted phone, back to cwm, installed ics package from zip.

Phone rebooted with ics boot up, next thing, no notification bar, lost ability to turn off phone, every application I attempted to start up resulted in a fc.

Rebooted into cwm after about ten attempts, wiped cache, wiped dalvic cache, reinstalled everything, but to no avail.

Had to resort to doing a restore to get the phone to function again. :confused:

That happened to me before, did you see if it was compatible with your baseband? (xxkpa,ki4,kk5 etc) and secondly was putt an odexed them or a deodexed?

• Advertisement

That happened to me before, did you see if it was compatible with your baseband? (xxkpa,ki4,kk5 etc) and secondly was putt an odexed them or a deodexed?

Thanks for the reply ChriisM

How do I check if it is odexed/deodexed?

Man, I've been flashing ROM's?Kernels and themes for almost 2 years now, rooted/unbranded lots of stuff, but this has me STUMPED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

Thanks for the reply ChriisM

How do I check if it is odexed/deodexed?

Man, I've been flashing ROM's?Kernels and themes for almost 2 years now, rooted/unbranded lots of stuff, but this has me STUMPED!
    Excuse me if I have mixed up 2 different ROMs but doesnt CheckROM come with kitchenpro which you then use to install themes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,623 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there any professionals that root phone in general namely the galaxy s2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Headshot wrote: »

how do u mean???

massy086 wrote: »
    how do u mean???

Like you have shops that unlocked phones, so do any of them cater for rooting too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Would you not just do it yourself Headshot? I'm sure most shops that unlock the S2 root it first anyway and then get rid of the yellow triangle

Id sure as hell would love to open a shop to cater for that, it's extremely simple to root the gs2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Id sure as hell would love to open a shop to cater for that, it's extremely simple to root the gs2

Is it possible/in any way likely that the phone will be bricked in the process? Might give it a go.

Would you not just do it yourself Headshot? I'm sure most shops that unlock the S2 root it first anyway and then get rid of the yellow triangle

Tbh I'd be worried about doing anything to it. I paid so much for the phone and if something happened to it because of me if be gutted

Tbh I'd be worried about doing anything to it. I paid so much for the phone and if something happened to it because of me if be gutted

Its very easy.

Where you situated?

Its very easy.

Where you situated?

Tipperary

Id put my house on it that your Dublin:pac:

Tipperary

Kildare! (when do I move in?)

Tipperary

Kildare! (when do I move in?)

Well done on your new house ;)

Anyway , rooting you're galaxy s2 literally takes 8 to 10 seconds. What firmware base are you on atm?

Anyway , rooting you're galaxy s2 literally takes 8 to 10 seconds. What firmware base are you on atm?

kernel version is I9100xwkI8

that what you want? :)

kernel version is I9100xwkI8

that what you want? :)

Yeah that's it, very easy. New enough. So are you thinking of trying out your self? I could wall you trough it if you wanted

• Advertisement

Yeah that's it, very easy. New enough. So are you thinking of trying out your self? I could wall you trough it if you wanted

you know if some kind soul can provide a video of rooting my phone and some decent walkthrough

Ill have a read and see will I do it

you know if some kind soul can provide a video of rooting my phone and some decent walkthrough

Ill have a read and see will I do it

I've done walk troughs on how to root your phone when I did my ics tutorials exact same for gingerbread

what? lol

what ya think of this method

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Is it possible to put a "USB tethering" short-cut on the home screen? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Looking for some advice from people in the know! If you have a moment to look at my set up and advise me where to go. Last week or two my battery drain has been crazy and looking for a change.

Android version: 2.3.6
    Baseband version: I9100XXKI4
    Kernel: 2.6.35.14-Siyah-v2.3+gm@ubuntu
    Build: CheckRom RevoHD V4

In particular I think the wifi is causing an enormous battery drain. Any suggestions for a better set up? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Vikings wrote: »
    Looking for some advice from people in the know! If you have a moment to look at my set up and advise me where to go. Last week or two my battery drain has been crazy and looking for a change.

Android version: 2.3.6
    Baseband version: I9100XXKI4
    Kernel: 2.6.35.14-Siyah-v2.3+gm@ubuntu
    Build: CheckRom RevoHD V4

In particular I think the wifi is causing an enormous battery drain. Any suggestions for a better set up? Thanks!

Try KI3 instead, seems to be the best modem for me battery wise. I also quite liked Speedmod k19 but am getting some decent results from the most up to date Siyah kernel.

what ya think of this method

That a good way of rooting the phone lads? :o

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the right Pershoot Kernel for Task650 Rom? I've bricked my tablet twice already with wrong versions I thought were right. Can't ask in xda thread as I don't have the post count.

Advertisement