Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I would do the same TK, moone being a typical terrier would fight back if another dog attacked her whereas Alli wouldn't so neither help matters. I'd rather be overly cautious than risk injury to my dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

SingItOut wrote: »
    I would do the same TK, moone being a typical terrier would fight back if another dog attacked her whereas Alli wouldn't so neither help matters. I'd rather be overly cautious than risk injury to my dogs.

Everyone is afraid of that dog! Some people give her treats to pacify her hoping she'll go away - I've done it myself but not anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Toby's developed a real taste for our bed. Last night he came to bed with us and stayed until after 5am, which is a first and he slept half way up the bed beside me instead of closer to the bottom. He took himself up to our bed a few hours ago, making his purry little self warm for the Winter.:)

Toby's developed a real taste for our bed. Last night he came to bed with us and stayed until after 5am, which is a first and he slept half way up the bed beside me instead of closer to the bottom. He took himself up to our bed a few hours ago, making his purry little self warm for the Winter.:)

Twice now in the last week I've woken up to Lucy making noise on the floor at the end of the bed - I don't know if she's sliding off like what she does on the couch or if she's actually falling off in her sleep lol :P Last night when it happened Bailey jumped off the bed into this crate for some peace!

Anyways mini-rant - why is it when i ask people not to feed the dogs certain types/brands of treats it's ignored but when it's THEIR dog they expect me to respect their wishes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tk123 wrote: »
    So Reb is a bit brighter today but they're still waiting for cultures to come back so they're 100% sure what it is. He looked alert in a photo my friend sent me earlier so hopefully he's finally on the mend!

We just left the park there and while Lucy was sniffing in the flowerbeds outside we saw some friends leaving with their retriever. As they were getting nearer the gate the called her but she kept walking and next started barking, bolted across the road and got clipped by a car. There's no way the car could have stopped in time - she kind of ran in a zigzag into the traffic. The driver was very apologetic and the owners were as well. She seems fine (probably in shock) but OMG I just feel sick thinking of it! :(

It can happen so fast. Once in summer a fellow trader at market was playing fetch with his dog and a rubber ball. There is a large green area in the middle of the village by the stalls. Suddenly the ball hit a post and ricocheted right across the road and by a miracle there was nothing passing. The owner was utterly shocked.

• Advertisement

Toby won't come in the cat flap when it's shut as he's afraid Felix will be waiting on the other side to attack him, so we got into the habit of pinning the flap open permanently so he can come and go. We've been shutting it when they're asleep during the day since the weathers been colder and they've all forgotten how to use it now.:rolleyes:

Well, 7pm and Toby has just surfaced from his morning nap.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

This afternoon I was just casually giving my former-feral/stray-cat-who-used-to-run-from-humans kisses on the top of his head without an ounce of fear from him.

I'm such a proud cat-mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We're hoping to do a sled dog trek at the end of December, 54 miles over 2 days, so stepped the training up this morning, I'm shattered, even though I spent most of the 4 hours stood on the rig, with the dogs pulling. My old bones ache tonight, but was great to have it so cold for the dogs, that my fingers were numb even with my gloves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Toby won't come in the cat flap when it's shut as he's afraid Felix will be waiting on the other side to attack him, so we got into the habit of pinning the flap open permanently so he can come and go. We've been shutting it when they're asleep during the day since the weathers been colder and they've all forgotten how to use it now.:rolleyes:

After the dog ruined two cat flaps ( ever seen a collie trying to get out through a small cat flap!) and the incursion of ferals, our cat flap is now just a hole covered by a baard kept over it with the old dead microwave. The door is PVC and I cannot get glue or anything to stick. My two can somehow wriggle in but not out and so far the feral has not learned to do that.. Faces north on a high mountain so essential to block it..

• Advertisement

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! Lucy rolled in poo again this morning!! I'm thinking of making her a vest (a coat rustling would annoy her I think) so then if she rolls the poo will be on the vest and not her. I know people say don't wash the dog blah blah but when your dog is covered in poo you don't have an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

muddypaws wrote: »
    We're hoping to do a sled dog trek at the end of December, 54 miles over 2 days, so stepped the training up this morning, I'm shattered, even though I spent most of the 4 hours stood on the rig, with the dogs pulling. My old bones ache tonight, but was great to have it so cold for the dogs, that my fingers were numb even with my gloves on.

Wow! Whats involved? How many dogs pull? How long is each stage? How long do they run for at a time? How heavy is the sled? This sounds so exciting. How many teams take part? I once saw a dog sled race in Alaska - the excitement - the joy of the dogs starting out, was incredible. What kind of course is there here? Any photos of the rig? I bet your dogs just love it?

tk123 wrote: »
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! Lucy rolled in poo again this morning!! I'm thinking of making her a vest (a coat rustling would annoy her I think) so then if she rolls the poo will be on the vest and not her. I know people say don't wash the dog blah blah but when your dog is covered in poo you don't have an option!

I wash our dogs at least twice a month, mostly because their brought for walks in the rain, muck and cold through woods and fields so any bad smell (mostly sheep/fox/cow poo) lingers on them. A boards poster recommended to me that I dilute their shampoo with water so it's not as harsh on the skin by washing a lot. My dogs smell great... Most of the time :D

Beau went in for his groom this morning, he wasn't amused going iN The car and tried his loud fake in pain miaowing. He was really good when the vet took him out of his carrier, he sat on the table and let her assess his coat. He was born feral so can be quite shy of strangers. I'm expecting a lecture about his weight gain when I go back in, the poor guy had to fast over night he's probably in shock :pac:

Beaus home, no lecture about his weight yah! The vet didn't need to shave his back after, the matts weren't as bad as I thought. He smells like man perfume :D

I just ordered some of the Jackson Galaxy Spirit Essences for the moggies.:) I only intended to order the trauma one for Poppy, to see if it helps with her pulling her fur out, but I ended up also ordering the 3 pack Peace Maker package on special offer.:D

So the dogs took a dislike to a cushion while I was out today and then an accomplice (It had to have been Cinnamon, she's the only one able) opened the bathroom and they got into the toilet paper and I came home to this:

14vpcae.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

So the dogs took a dislike to a cushion while I was out today and then an accomplice (It had to have been Cinnamon, she's the only one able) opened the bathroom and they got into the toilet paper and I came home to this:

14vpcae.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Holy sh1t. Imagine coming home to that!

Mother of god!!!!
    Thats priceless!
    Who is the eejit caught in the act though?!?!? Everyone keeps telling me (new to cats person) how clever and devious and intellectual cats are. I bet the dogs are sensibly all hiding in fear after all that destruction :D

Lucy hid behind me this evening when some kids went to pet her! Never happened before - she's always so confident and happy to get cuddles off people.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

I'm here to try and not murder my puppy! He's a 8 month old Bichon who chews everything. 2 weeks ago he chewed the charger for my fitbit one. Got a new one delivered by courier today and guess what, my little darling chewed that 1 hour after i unwrapped it! I know it was my fault for leaving it out - but it took quite a bit of calm breathing to understand that. But hay, I didn't arrive home to cushion guts & toilet paper all over the house. He is rather fond of my cushions though, and has to have only supervised visits unless I want the above to happen

• Advertisement

I was in a shop today. There was a man with a very obese elderly looking Pekinese dog on a leash in the shop. While I was browsing, a woman came up to pat the dog hello, saying how cute he was. The mans wife rushed straight up to the woman, and said, "oh he would love to kiss you!!!" and picked the dog up, pushed the poor dog into the womans arms and pushed the dogs face up against the womans face!!:eek: :eek: :eek: People!!!

aonb wrote: »
    Mother of god!!!!
    Thats priceless!
    Who is the eejit caught in the act though?!?!? Everyone keeps telling me (new to cats person) how clever and devious and intellectual cats are. I bet the dogs are sensibly all hiding in fear after all that destruction :D

I really would have loved to have seen them at it, I'd say they had great craic! I know Poppy was the ring leader, she's mad for anything stuffed. Saying that though, Max just tore apart a paper bag and has made a bed on it.
    Something in the water bowls in my house today, My fur-babies sure are being destructive! Dogs have been keeping a very low profile all evening. I'm sure the next opportunity they have to cause havoc they will :pac: :pac:

Toby's having another duvet day. He went back to our bed after breakfast, about 7.30, and hasn't surfaced yet. Mr Pumpkinseeds finished nightshift this morning and has a virus so he's got some company. Now that the 4 cats have each established what Winter snuggly places belong to whom things are a lot calmer. Toby is spending most nights in our bed, coming in for breakfast then going straight up to bed. The others are either on a sofa or snuggled up to radiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, we're having a bit of a battle for supremacy over the bed at the moment too, now that winter has started, and our shy cat, Holly, has been ousted by Buffy much to her chagrin.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, we're having a bit of a battle for supremacy over the bed at the moment too, now that winter has started, and our shy cat, Holly, has been ousted by Buffy much to her chagrin.

The funny part is that Toby is a pushover and usually bossed around by the other 3, not when it comes to the bed though, when it comes to the bed he's found his inner growl this week and won't let the others near it, well he'll tolerate Poppy, so long as she behaves herself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Honerbright, they were trying to decorate for Christmas, it's meant to be snow!

Jake has started coming up to bed in the middle of the night, he's always freezing and tries to get in the bed, now while I feel sorry for the poor old boy, 3am and him purring and trying to get under the covers is a bit much.
    Vet said his temp was half a degree lower than it should be on his last checkup, but couldn't find a reason. In fact he said he's very healthy for his age, good strong heart too, just a touch of arthritis in his back.
    I was thinking of a heat pad, has anyone tried one? How do you get the cat to stay in its bed? 'Cos none of ours use the cat beds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I don't want a GSD. I don't want a GSD. I don't want a GSD. I don't want a GSD. I don't want a GSD.

I'm lying...

I really want a GSD. :(

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm getting a tenner postage on that!
    It's a good price but the postage is a bit steep.

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »

Dogfooddirect stock it and are having a sale tomorrow! ;)

10% OFF EVERYTHING TOMORROW... TO AVAIL OF THE 10% JUST CALL YOUR ORDER IN TO 01-6261795
    PHONES OPEN FROM 9AM TO 4.30PM
    DISCOUNT NOT AVAILABLE ON CURRENT SPECIALS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement