Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB]Boards Photobook 2012

• 26-08-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

It's that time of the year when we usually start discussions for the annual book.. I think we learned a lot last year but think it would be a pity not to move forwards and have another book to enjoy :-)

What kind of interest is there? A team would be needed to organise and design etc. I think this year you pay up as you agree to participate and submit photo before deadline rather than the other way around. Also, postage to be added in at time of signup, if you know you can't make the launch.

Let's discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Will offer to help design it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

if there's anything you'd trust me doing, please let me know. would be glad to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Include postage in everyones cost and refund it IF the book gets collected. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

is this "exactly what it says on the tin"? Boards members get together, submit pics and have a book printed - paying joint costs along the way for printing/p&p? is it being submitted anywhere or just a project for boards only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

kassie wrote: »
    is this "exactly what it says on the tin"? Boards members get together, submit pics and have a book printed - paying joint costs along the way for printing/p&p? is it being submitted anywhere or just a project for boards only?

Here's the link to the blog, all info there for previous years.. Open to suggestions! http://boardsphotobook.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement

that is a fantastic idea! Well done to everyone involved in the previous books!

Can anyone submit a photo? do those submitting the photo pay to submit, or what way does that work? (sorry if this info in on the above link - i couldn't find it! :8) )

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ihastakephoto

include postage in the price and donate it to the charity if the book is collected...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Can anyone submit a photo? do those submitting the photo pay to submit, or what way does that work? (sorry if this info in on the above link - i couldn't find it! :8) )

Anyone from this forum can submit one photo for publication. The photo you choose is entirely up to you. The "fee" for submission is you buy at least one book :)

that is a fantastic idea! Well done to everyone involved in the previous books!

Info is in the About tab here, but basically it is open to anyone on the Boards Photography forum to submit a photo to be included - if you submit a photo you are committing to buying 1 copy of the book - but can purchase more as gifts etc. if you wish. http://boardsphotobook.wordpress.com/about/

I hope this thread will discuss who is up for helping out and whether or not people want the book to go ahead.. etc.

Basically for the book to happen, we need a designer (or 2), a project manager (or 2), logistic and marketing people. People are also needed to help organise the launch night, including cupcake bakers, artists, bloggers and viral marketers and in the final stage, someone to liaise with DCC for the launch and help out on the night.

It is a community book and with everyone pitching it, it really isn't a lot of work for the result. Plus, it is all in aid of a great cause :)

I'm available for humping boxes around, setting up tables, hitting things with hammers, delivery and collecting of...stuff... before, during and after the launch date, especally cakes. :cool:
    Mostly around Dublin area but if you are really stuck you could try asking me on the off chance that you get me in a good mood and the wifey has let me have the car keys.

• Advertisement

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Plus, it is all in aid of a great cause :)

God yeah, mustn't forget this. The profits go to a very worthy cause - Santa Strike Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

I hope this thread will discuss who is up for helping out and whether or not people want the book to go ahead.. etc.
    It is a community book and with everyone pitching it, it really isn't a lot of work for the result. Plus, it is all in aid of a great cause :)

It's been a good thing for a good cause a few years now, surely many people want it to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Buying a house & getting married, all before Christmas, but if I can help, I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

God yeah, mustn't forget this. The profits go to a very worthy cause - Santa Strike Force.

I thought, Santa Strike Force isn't going ahead anymore. DeV mentioned something last year. So we might look into another charity then.

I'm available for liasing with DCC (Dublin Camera Club) again and helping on the night - provided I'm not away.

And I'm interested in submitting and paying and another book going ahead.

As for other support I can't comit to anything atm as all going well I should be still selfemployed but in addition a full time student soon enough so have no idea about any spare time. But will be available for on/off help/support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Happy to help out in some way Tracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Let me just add my clichéd 'count me in', but I can't commit to the organising process, although if there is anywhere I can help I'll try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

Oh im not missing this again this year. Can count me in, Dublin area, be more than happy to help out also in anyway possible, I can get in touch with my friend for a few baked cupcakes (Even a big one) and my other friend (Wine merchant) for a few bottles donated for good cause if possible. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'll submit and will buy a few, as ever, but with one thing and another I can't commit to helping in a specific way. I'll try my best at the time though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

I would like to help out, ifs that ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I'd be happy to help in any way I can - not sure how my skills translate, maybe a bit of blogging stuff? I'll market it any way I can.

I can make cupcakes again? I think I made them for the 2010 launch and they went down OK. Also, I make amazing cookies. Just sayin! :D I'd be happy to put a couple of batches together for the evening.

Would it be possible to have another event alongside it - like taking a photowalk together? Or an exhibition of the photos included - in a way to try to bring the book to a wider audience rather than just us Boardsies? Maybe that's too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

What trooney said.

Time for Signature updating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

OldGoat wrote: »

Looks like you're about a 1000 years out there...

It's a 2. Really. OK I KNOW it looks a bit like a 1 but it's a 2. Honest.

/Stoopid Paintshop handwritting :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I did the design for the 2010 book but wasn't involved at all last year. I would be up for helping this year in whatever capacity is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

I'd be willing to take the uncollected books of your hands again :rolleyes::pac::P

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    I'd be wiling to take the uncollected books of your hands again :rolleyes::pac::P

There will be no such thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

There will be no such thing :D

i'm in. and i think we should all do what needs to be done to not let happen what happened last year with all the uncollected books, be it pay for postage up front or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Count me in (thanks to Picaaf for twisting my arm :) )

anyway I can help let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm in (3rd year now)

Just a reminder - this isn't a count me in thread - but it is great to see the overall positive response.

I guess it looks like there will be a 2012 Photobook :D

Great to see the support, I will pull together a list of 'jobs' and we can then work out who will do what.

If I post up a list of things that need to be done, people can then say what they can help with - that we we can all publicly flog you when you don't do it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm in.
    last year was my first year participating.
    This year I'd like to attend the launch evening, it'd be a good chance to meet up with people in the flesh and also a weekend in Dublin.

Any ROUGH idea when the lauch normally is (month?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Yes, please. Would love to participate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anything I can do just ask away. Happy to do some heavy lifting, bake/make food for the launch etc etc. Would like to submit a pic again this year.

Will have a look and see if I kept the PDFs for the promotional banner images and update them accordingly.

OldGoat wrote: »

It looks like I didn't keep the originals so I'll see about creating some more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unforeseen circumstances rendered me out of action last year much to my embarrassment but if you're willing I'd love to help out this year

That being said I won't be around for much of December but prior that I will be if I can be of help

• Advertisement

218765.jpg

Something a little simpler and perhaps more striking for this year. If you really REALLY want one with your own brand of camera, just ask. I'm looking at you Denis- ya big moaner!

Anything I can do just ask away.

One word....VODKA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I'm in for a pic & a book.

Something I suggested last year but I don't know how far people got in thinking about it.... as well as a printed book with each photo contributor buying at least one real copy how about an e-book version - pdf, whatever. This would have a very low production cost and could be sold at a very low cost - say 2-5 euro. Cheap enough to encourage people to buy it as an impulse buy. We could even push it to all the camera clubs in the country, friends, work colleagues etc.

Just a thought .....

One word....VODKA!

Please remind me to bring some- I'm going to Poland later in the year so will be stocking up in the duty free. I really have a shocking memory so will need a PM or Tweet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Anything I can do from the other side of the Ball, count me in.

Maybe I can maintain the Spreadsheet for "Who's in/out"

• Advertisement

I'm in for a pic & a book.

Something I suggested last year but I don't know how far people got in thinking about it.... as well as a printed book with each photo contributor buying at least one real copy how about an e-book version - pdf, whatever. This would have a very low production cost and could be sold at a very low cost - say 2-5 euro. Cheap enough to encourage people to buy it as an impulse buy. We could even push it to all the camera clubs in the country, friends, work colleagues etc.

Just a thought .....

I'm new to all of this, but i think this is a great idea ^^ it its possible to have a pdf file made up.

I would love to submit a photo, not sure how else i could help out though, i live in the midlands and not sure if i could attend the launch evening so offering my services for something might not be of any use!

If anyone wants to step up and arrange the pdf I think it sounds like a brill idea too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm moving back to Ireland in October, not sure what I could do to help but I'll be around Dublin/Wexford if anyone wants books delivered.

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm moving back to Ireland in October, not sure what I could do to help but I'll be around Dublin/Wexford if anyone wants books delivered.

Thank you :) There will be no books for 'delivery' this year as there was in previous years I'm afraid, it'll be either pay for postage or collect on the night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thank you :) There will be no books for 'delivery' this year as there was in previous years I'm afraid, it'll be either pay for postage or collect on the night.

Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Would love to help if needed...and put a pic in as well, of course. :D

So a few things I'm wondering are:
    • Book format - stay the same/hard cover vs soft cover
    • Launch location - DCC again or new location
    • sponsorship or some sort?
    • Exhibition of images in the book to be had on the night of launch?

Any other thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

So a few things I'm wondering are:
    • Book format - stay the same/hard cover vs soft cover
    • Launch location - DCC again or new location
    • sponsorship or some sort?
    • Exhibition of images in the book to be had on the night of launch?

Any other thoughts?

hard cover please bob - personally speaking i think it makes it easier on the book for the amount of page-flicking that happens to it.
    location - DCC is pretty handy and central for us non dubliners.
    sponsorship - would we be able to get a bit from the printers this year? would that make the cost of production cheaper for us and therefore more moola for the charity? if so go for it.
    exhibition - yes. would DCC be ok with that? would it fit? could it run for a week or ten days or something with the images for sale in aid of SFF? would finding a sponsor to help with the cost of printing/framing be too much of a stretch?

i realise these are more questions than thoughts! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

artyeva wrote: »
    hard cover please bob - personally speaking i think it makes it easier on the book for the amount of page-flicking that happens to it.
    location - DCC is pretty handy and central for us non dubliners.
    sponsorship - would we be able to get a bit from the printers this year? would that make the cost of production cheaper for us and therefore more moola for the charity? if so go for it.
    exhibition - yes. would DCC be ok with that? would it fit? could it run for a week or ten days or something with the images for sale in aid of SFF? would finding a sponsor to help with the cost of printing/framing be too much of a stretch?

i realise these are more questions than thoughts! :p

Ditto hard cover
    I'm happy with DCC
    Sponsorship - great if you can get it!
    Exhibition - yes. DCC would be too small for the number of prints plus it isn't open most of the time. Somehwhere like Pearse Street Library might be an option (where DCC hold their annual exhibition) or some other public place.

An online auction of prints (on-boards?) after the exhibition could raise additional funding.

Or maybe the other way round - an online auction to raise additional funds and to pay for the prints/mounting etc in an exhibition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭dinneenp

HI,
    Has anyone ever thought of approaching a book store and asking them to stock it?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement