Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Hill Repeats w/Aerobic

I needed a bit of a lung buster to get me going again and didnt think i had the mettle for a tempo just yet so went for this instead.
    The hill was fairly steep all the way up,no flat bits and the wind was pushing me back down to add to the pleasure :D.
    It was really tough but glad i mahaged it,will go for 10 next time.

1m warm up @ 7:52p
    8*1 min @ 6:21p ave
    90s recovery back down after each
    3.7m Aerobic @ 7:22p

7.7m Total

Work - Home

Back to the early morning run outs today,out the door before 6am...felt good going in but absolutely shattered coming home for some reason...really wek feeling after 2m that lasted 2 and then i came round again...must have been in need of a feed.Had originally planned 6.5 home but decoded to shorten it and then when i came round added a loop on near the house.

Work - 3.5m @ 7:52p
    Home - 5.8m @ 7:51p

Aerobic

Had planned and hoped to run tomorrow morning with a few of the lads but the OH is going to work an hour earlier tomorrow morning so had to go tonight after work.
    Not ideal but got it done.
    Felt good from the off but the first 5m are hilly and there was a headwind to contend with,had to work a bit to maintain it but manageable all the same.

10.3m @ 6:53p

Aerobic

Just off nights and was bulling for a good run,headed out around 4pm and enjoyed every minute of it.Started off easy enough and built near the end,went through 5m in 36 mins and thought why not make the last 5 in 34 to nip under the 70 mins and i duly tipped away nicely making a bit of time up going down the cork road before the last 2 uphill miles to home,holding it just under 7:00 to get home in 69:42...a good evening run in mild condotions.

10m @ 6:58p

Will do a tempo or long interval session at some stage during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

You seem to be in good shape again post Christmas. Are you in PB shape for Dungarvan?

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    You seem to be in good shape again post Christmas. Are you in PB shape for Dungarvan?

Not a hope Gringo and i wont even be trying.
    I seem to be able to knock out those 70 min 10 milers anytime but its when i start to run fast for any length,the endurance lets me down badly.
    I reckon i will be under 62 alright...maybe even 61 but not under the hour.
    What about yourself ? Are you tipping away ?
    Did you register ?

There are plenty of races on in feb as always but im on a weekend cycle in work during that month,if i was running well i would take some time off but not sure that i will be...if iwas to pick one,it would be the Dungarvan 10k late feb...its basically 10k made out of the 10m race,a good route that i ran 36:16 on 2 years ago and thought i would never run as slow again,but have actually not even gone sub 36:30 since...strange.
    If i run later tonight i might try a few miles at 6:00 and see what it takes out of me.
    The week before the 10m they have a "predict your time" race which i will do for the first time,i'll predict 30 mins for 5m and see if i can manage that and take it from there.

Recovery

So much for doing a few miles at 6:00p...i barely got out the door at 8:45...was so close to giving it a miss as i was shattered...really glad i went now.Real slow all the way while i listened to the newstalk boys report on the city-liverpool carling cup game...

8m @ 7:54p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Not a hope Gringo and i wont even be trying.
    I seem to be able to knock out those 70 min 10 milers anytime but its when i start to run fast for any length,the endurance lets me down badly.
    I reckon i will be under 62 alright...maybe even 61 but not under the hour.
    What about yourself ? Are you tipping away ?
    Did you register ?

I entered all right, have been tipping away, I'm borderline sub 60min shape at the moment so will have to see. Tempo run test this evening, if I can hold 6 miles at 6:05 pace then I'll be in good enough shape to warrant going out at sub 60 pace. Basic speed is easily there but the stamina probably is not this early in the year. Theres a 3k track race next week that I may run to get a gauge of where I'm at.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I entered all right, have been tipping away, I'm borderline sub 60min shape at the moment so will have to see. Tempo run test this evening, if I can hold 6 miles at 6:05 pace then I'll be in good enough shape to warrant going out at sub 60 pace. Basic speed is easily there but the stamina probably is not this early in the year. Theres a 3k track race next week that I may run to get a gauge of where I'm at.

I'll keep an eye out for you up there.

Med Long

A good run today,had planned to take it easy and just trot around but felt a bit energised so tipped along nicely instead.I was keeping an eye on the watch to not go to fast as i hope to some sort of a tempo tomorow.
    Delt very good up to 10m then got a bit weak from lack of foodonly had a small breakfast at 8:30 and this was 1:30,legs and breathing good.
    You may think its mad doing 30m in 3 days and on the fourth doing a tempo but i had no choice as i had a spare 90 mins today and i know tomorrow will be tight,i may not even get out.

12m @ 7:06p

• Advertisement

Tempo

Nearly missed out today,grabbed my chance when it was there,problem with that is you kind of always have to be ready to run which is not ideal but the world i live in as many others do aswell.
    Plan is a 4m tempo on Monday followed by 5m tempo next Sunday,that will give me a clear indication of what to expect in Dungarvan on the 29th.

1m easy
    3m @ 6:07,6:03,6:07
    2.5m easy

6.5m @ 7:03p ave

Felt ok,not great, during the 3 fast miles.could have nipped under 6:00p but was happy with where i was,will try 4 sub 24 mins on Monday.

Recovery

I have decided to try get some consistency into my running before i start a loose 12 week program before the WVM on June 30th.
    So the plan is 40m a week up to the end of March,then ramp up to hopefully 50m a week for the duration.
    Realistically thats all i can hope for,if it turns out that during some of those weeks that i can do more...great but i doubt it,what ever level that gets me to will have to do.
    No sense in jumping into 45m week one week and 30m week the next,so thats my aim for now...consistency.
    So with the new rule in place,all i needed was 3.1m to complete my 40 for this week and i duly oblidged with a 3.3m run at 5:54 this morning before work.

3.3m @ 7:44p

Yesterday : Tempo

Inbetween nights yesterday so never the most productive of running days but needed to get this tempo done as i missed it Monday and want to run the colligan cup 5m at the weekend and try nip under 30 mins,that will give me an indication of what to aim for at the Dungarvan 10 on the 29th.
    First off i was in no humour to run yesterday,let alone a tempo,then i had a very strong headwind to compete with the first 2m of the tempo which really took the wind out of my sails,but got through it ....barely.
    Not over the moon with the splits but the wind was strong and i was knackered anyway but the effort was 6:00p i think.

1m easy
    4m @ 6:18,6:17,6:06,6:07
    2m easy
    7m Total @ 7:06p ave

Today : Aerobic

Off nights now but less sleep today as ill be going to bed like a normal person tonight,up at 1...out the door by 1:30 and the first 4m were a struggle but it was a lovely mild day with a bit of sun out.

8.5m @ 7:21p

Aerobic

A hilly route from work today that was a good test for me,im not one for hills usually but there were plenty today,stayed within myself the first few miles and then upped it near the end with miles to get under 70 mins...mile 9 and 10 were 6:37 and 6:29.all good...

10m in 69:42

10.3m overall @ 7:01p ave

Saturday - Recovery

Not much time that day so barely squeezed in this tbh,but it was extremely leisurely and a nice way to set myself up for todays test

4.5m @ 7:51p

Today - Colligan Cup

What a nice event this was today,in its 24th year and i am into my 5th year of running and i never went up until today,well i'll be going back up next year as i really enjoyed that today.
    It was a predict your time race so the clock started at 60 mins and you went whenever you wanted and the idea was to finish when the clocked reached 00:00...a bit of fun but i wanted to see if i could break 30 mins for 5m as it had been an age since i did it last ( Aug 23rd - Tempo session,quick check at training )way to long a time to let slip by,but i had a few niggling injuries and work etc wore me down so quality sessions went by the way side...but they are back now.Off i went at 30:00 and hoped for the best,felt really good all the way and i was trying to gauge by effort what pace i was going,but because i hadnt run this fast for so longi had no idea.I was running controlled and didnt seem to be pushing to keep 6:00p ( which i thought i would be )so i was sure that i was slower than 6:00p but i crossed the line and could have kept going,i then heard the i was 15s off my 30:00 prediction so immediately thought i ran 30:15 and was happy with that but i ran 29:45 and so came away very happy with the result.
    I ran this today just to see what i may achieve next Sunday...Before i drove up today i was thinking 62:30ish for next week,now im thinking 61:00 - 61:30 maybe ! Dont want to get carried away and it doesnt really matter anyway as i wont be setting any PB's so next week is just another step on the road back.

3.5m warm up easy
    5m in 29:45 ( 5:57p )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I ran this today just to see what i may achieve next Sunday...Before i drove up today i was thinking 62:30ish for next week,now im thinking 61:00 - 61:30 maybe ! Dont want to get carried away and it doesnt really matter anyway as i wont be setting any PB's so next week is just another step on the road back.

I'm aiming for the 61:00-61:30 region too for Dungarvan next week, might see you there! Make sure you make the start on time now ;)

I'm aiming for the 61:00-61:30 region too for Dungarvan next week, might see you there! Make sure you make the start on time now ;)

I'll be on time next week !

Yesterday : Aerobic

A nice run late last night to loosen out the legs after the Colligan Cupon Sunday,they didnt really need a loosen though,feeling good and tipped away aimlessly listening to Newstalk.

8m @ 7:31p

Had planned a 4/5m recovery today but when getting up from the breakfast table this morning i seemed to have jarred my knee somehow,it was sore when it happened and i was limping for a while but its not as bad now even though i can still feel something behind the knee,so no run today,will see how things are tomorrow.

10/7/4 Pre Race Tempo

No running tuesday or Wednesday due to my freak knee injury that has since passed ( thankfully ) i seem to get these short lived unusual injuries from nothing,but i am thankful that they are short lived.
    Todays run was enjoyable and sets me up well for a decent time Sunday ( if i can make it,may be trouble getting the children looked after,so may not be running at all ).

3m @ 7:33p

10 mins at 5:55p
    2 mins jog rec
    7 mins at 5:56p
    2 mins jog rec
    4 mins at 5:52p
    2 mins jog rec
    4.15m Total

0.75m @ 7:48p

8m Total

Dungarvan 10

A miserable weeks running in the lead up to this,only 2*8 milers to report,the week just went away from me and it was only this morning i was running today at all so i am just glad i got up there.
    The run itself was efficient...thats the word i would use.I didnt go for sub 60 as i felt i didnt have it in me with the lack of quality in recent months but as it turns out i could have got close if i had pushed.
    I ran within myself all the way because i thought i was going to blow up but it didnt happen,i had a dodgy moment just after 6m where the legs just went a bit wobbly but i got going again and finished strong.
    Mile 1 was under 6:00...the next 8 were 6:07-6:10...very consistent and then i finished with a 5:46 and felt good.
    So really happy with the outcome and i may go to Mallow in March to have a right go as 10 milers are few and far between and i like the distance.

10m - 1:00:55

Great organisation as usual from WWAC...i will be back.
    3 under 50 mins also tells of the quality on show.
    Met Aero/Gringo and tisnotover up there...good to see a few boardsies.
    i see that Abhainn ran well...56:xx i think...their tough men up the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

So really happy with the outcome and i may go to Mallow in March to have a right go as 10 milers are few and far between and i like the distance.

10m - 1:00:55

Great organisation as usual from WWAC...i will be back.
    3 under 50 mins also tells of the quality on show.
    Met Aero/Gringo and tisnotover up there...good to see a few boardsies.
    i see that Abhainn ran well...56:xx i think...their tough men up the west.

great stuff Sosa, nice running, and +1 on the organisation, very smooth, especially with the high numbers and the wet course.

another 10miler in cobh in april if you can't make mallow, the great island 10. http://www.greatisland10.com/

Aerobic

Took yesterday off to recover from Dungarvan,but felt no ill effects just a bit of tiredness...but nothing else thankfully.
    Got out tonight though for 8 nice casual miles.

8m @ 7:27p

I had loosely planned to do the 8 McMillan 10k workouts the next 8 weeks before 12 Marathon prep weeks but i want to race a bit in the next 8 weeks so may miss some of those sessions,i will do the important ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tisnotover wrote: »
    great stuff Sosa, nice running, and +1 on the organisation, very smooth, especially with the high numbers and the wet course.

another 10miler in cobh in april if you can't make mallow, the great island 10. http://www.greatisland10.com/

also a great one in Craughwell, Co.Galway on March 18th
    http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=40&Itemid=91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

I had loosely planned to do the 8 McMillan 10k workouts the next 8 weeks before 12 Marathon prep weeks but i want to race a bit in the next 8 weeks so may miss some of those sessions,i will do the important ones though.

have you a link to those 10k workouts? thanks.

tisnotover wrote: »
    have you a link to those 10k workouts? thanks.

Recovery

From what ?...not the race thankfully...but nights.
    Great sleep,up at 4pm,out the door at 4:15 for 4 nice slow miles to wake up.Garmin was dead so ran aimlessly without it.

4m @ 7:30ish i would estimate.

Intervals

Just off nights and not really in the mood for this but managed to drag myself down to the park for some sort of session,had not really made up my mind what to do.Just didnt have the legs for a long session today so got his much done.

1m easy
    4*1m @ 5:42,5:42,5:45,5:42
    3 mins jog rec inbetween
    0.5m easy

6.5. Total

Felt tough enough and would have struggled through another 2 if it was any other day than today.
    Hopefully a med long tomorrow morning

Med Long

The most unenjoyable run of the year to date.I felt tired after yesterdays intervals but even when i got up this morning i knew i was going to struggle but as time is precious,i had my window and if i didnt go i would have missed out so off i went.
    The first 4m i was really tired,struggling really and not enojying it,then for miles 5&6 i hit a mini wall....just wanted to stop...came round a bit for mile 7 and thought i was ok,but the last 4 were a struggle also.
    I had planned 14/15 but had to cut it short.
    I was never so happy to finish a run,i was whacked.
    Maybe a fallout from Dungarvan or maybe just the intervals yesterday while just coming off nights was not the best way to prepare for a med long...who knows.

12.5m @ 7:18p

Med Long

I was tired after Saturdays run,way more tired than i should have been,i have no real explanation for it,thats just the way i felt...so with that in mind i left yesterday go as there was no point flogging a dead horse even though i felt ok yesterday....i managed to curtail my impulses to get togged out.
    So i wanted to get this week off to a good start,didnt get out the door until 8pm but it was a lovely run on a beautiful night for running.
    No wind,no heat,no cold,no rain,no nothing really just the night air.
    I had no plans of distance as i just eat the dinner at 6 and didnt really know how far the stomach would play ball for but thankfully it behaved so i kept going.

12m @ 7:25p

• Advertisement

Med Long

After 2 long days in work i hit the road tonight a bit weary.but decided to make it a steady run tonight,Monday was an easy one.
    Really ejoyed it,the last mile was a struggle though as it has 2*400m steep climbs in it but other than that a good run in lovely conditions.

12m @ 6:52p

Advertisement