Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spartacus: War Of The Damned [Starz - US] **Spoilers!**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,623 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why dd they cancel it? Were the ratings that bad or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's only so long it could have gone on for, the show's villain was always going to go Glaber->Crassus, a season on the minor responses by Rome in the interim would just have been filler, the show needs an antagonist and Crassus is it and we know how that showdown ends:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Headshot wrote: »
    Why dd they cancel it? Were the ratings that bad or something?
    Ratings were good, as I'm sure our in-house ratings expert will confirm. I reckon the show was just a bit too expensive for the Starz network so they wanted to wrap it up while they were ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

i though this series was fantastic, i only saw season 2 first, watched the whole thing then went back (if Pulp Fiction can do random time order, then so can I) and watched season 1 - Season 1 was even better that the second, a real shame that the star died. Im very looking forward to seeing teh Documentary Andy Whitfield made Info Here , before he died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cost. Money talks and stars probably feel they can get more bang for buck by cancelling it. The thinking is probably they can create 3 shows with the money saved and one of them will become a hit.

Personally, I think it's a bad move. A show like this won't lose it audience and I think they will regret cancelling it in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jesus, I am pissed off I found out about that documentary, I do not want to watch that but I will have to :( So sad

• Advertisement

spartacus-key-art_510x764_FULL.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A few details on the next series

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Spartacus franchise may not be ending with the final season. Word is that Stars is discussing a possible spin-off centered on Roman leader Julius Caesar. The character of Caesar, played by Australian actor Todd Lasance will be a new addition to the third season, Spartacus: War of the Damned, which premieres on January 25th. Spartacus: War of the Damned is described as follows…

Gaius Claudius Glaber is dead. Many months have passed since his defeat, and the rebel army, led by Spartacus and his generals Crixus, Gannicus and Agron, continue to amass victories over Rome. With the rebel numbers swelling to thousands of freed slaves, it has become a force that has started to challenge even the mighty armies of Rome.

Spartacus is more determined than ever to bring down the entire Roman Republic. Following the death of Ashur, Naevia and Crixus fight as one with newfound strength and determination. And Gannicus, always seeking to embrace life to the fullest, shares his bed with the beautiful and dangerous Saxa.

Together, the rebels engage in one bloody skirmish after another and prepare for the inevitable: a full out war with Rome.

The Roman Senate turns to its wealthiest citizen, Marcus Crassus, for aid. A powerful, strategic politician, he respects his opponent and refuses to make the same mistakes Glaber and his predecessors have. With a young and fiercely competitive Julius Caesar as an ally, Crassus is determined to crush Spartacus and his rebellion.

The epic conclusion of a legendary journey, Spartacus: War of the Damned will unleash a battle unlike anything ever seen before
    Read more at http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/264589/[TV]-Starz-Looking-For-a-Spartacus-Spin-Off-Featuring-Julius-Caesar.htm#ZRLXtmFvgI5ZUIRM.99

3x01:
    Spartacus continues to assemble a formidable army and outwit Rome s best commanders. Desperate, the powers of the Empire are forced to turn to wealthy, ambitious Marcus Crassus to aid the campaign.

3x02:
    Spartacus leads a daring assault to provide food and shelter for his people. Crassus builds a fearsome army and receives an unexpected visitor.

3x03:
    Spartacus considers striking a deal with a band of marauders to ensure his people stay supplied and fed. Crassus son Tiberius makes a bold and fateful decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Starting tonight I believe, can't wait.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Roanmore wrote: »
    Starting tonight I believe, can't wait.:)

Yep, the American cousins should have it in the post by the early hours of tomorrow morning!

and we're off........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Just watched all of vengeance since I got home from work just to remind me of what happened last

Really wish Whitfield had been in em all but ah well here we go round two with the new guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rovi wrote: »
    Yep, the American cousins should have it in the post by the early hours of tomorrow morning!

Mine just arrived;) Something to watch tonight.Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Really enjoyed it, straight into the action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

By Jupiters c0ck it's back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Clareman wrote: »
    By Jupiters c0ck it's back :)
    Once again the gods spread legs to ram c0ck in ass
    Gotta love the old batiatus quotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Was good craic, very entertaining, but does anyone else feel that because its the last season, and we know how it is going to win and how it will end, that it removes any suspense?

tvnutz wrote: »
    Was good craic, very entertaining, but does anyone else feel that because its the last season, and we know how it is going to win and how it will end, that it removes any suspense?

That's a bit like saying you didn't enjoy the Titanic cause you knew it'd sink at the end, nothing to do with the fact that it was brutal.

For me, it adds to it, you know that everything they are doing is in vain, helps connect to the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Clareman wrote: »
    That's a bit like saying you didn't enjoy the Titanic cause you knew it'd sink at the end, nothing to do with the fact that it was brutal.

For me, it adds to it, you know that everything they are doing is in vain, helps connect to the characters.

Not the same, despite what you say about Titanic, in the movie you knew nothing about how the characters would end up,who would survive,what they would do etc,only that the ship would sink.

Here we know who lives and who dies, who wins, sure it will be good to see it play out but this whole building up Crassius when we know the outcome, its underwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You can pretty much guarantee that 75% of the viewers haven't read up on what happens to who, and probably some who don't even know this is based (loosely :) ) on real events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Really liking Marcus Crassus great character, the new Spartacus I just can't get into him :(

RIP Andy Whitfield :)

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote: »
    Really liking Marcus Crassus great character, the new Spartacus I just can't get into him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'm the same, while he is perfectly serviceable he is not "my" spartacus when he talked of the loss of Sura with Mira last season I didn't feel as much empathy as I should as there was an emotional disconnect there as this was not the Spartacus in whose arms we had seen Sura die, and similarly there was a lack of catharsis for me when Crixus was reunited with Naeivia as this wasn't the woman we had seen torn from his side in B&S.

As for last night's episode I thought it was a very strong opener :

- that opening scene put to bed any doubts I had that the show could handle the epic scope that would be required this season, everything from the cgi to the scoring was perfect.

- as a history buff I loved that they referenced the wider roman world and the challenges if faced name checking mithradates and pompey.

-loved the Crassus in training scenes and the not so veiled barbs he threw the visiting senators way when he came to visit him in the midst of one of them.

- spartacus learning that while he has the measure of the Romans he has a thing or two to learn about administering to the needs of an army.

- the fight and death of hilaro at the hands of Crassus was surprisingly touching considering they were only introduced this episode and is a testemant to how good the both the writing and the actor they have brought in as Crassus is.

- the reveal near the end that Crassus had played everyone for chumps to get exactly what he wanted (to the point spartacus ends up facilitating the advancement of his ultimate nemesis into a position of power) is pretty awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Crassus is a great character, looking forward to Caeser too. Not a fan of Liam McIntrye though, he's like a B grade actor in and A grade series and just drags it down a notch, just isnt good enough to take the role for himself. Crixus, Agron and Gannicus as well as the Romans still hold the quality together pretty well though but the whole Spartacus the hero thing died with Andy for me.

Crassus is a great character, looking forward to Caeser too. Not a fan of Liam McIntrye though, he's like a B grade actor in and A grade series and just drags it down a notch, just isnt good enough to take the role for himself. Crixus, Agron and Gannicus as well as the Romans still hold the quality together pretty well though but the whole Spartacus the hero thing died with Andy for me.

Andy had a quite whispered gravitas whenever he spoke whereas Liam whether intentional or not delivers his anti Rome monologues like he's the trailer narration guy and it comes off a bit hammy, he needs to tone it down a notch or two and treat them like the rest of his scenes like the scene with gannicus which I thought was quite an effective scene for both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You cant lay the blame squarely at Liam's feet. I mean, yes the actor just isn't very good but you have to couple this with the fact that the character isn't central to the show anymore. In season 1, Spartacus was central to everything going on. He was in nearly every scene, and the focus of most scenes he wasn't, even peripherally. Only really Crixus and Naeivia's affair had nothing to do with him. Everything else did.

Also, he wasn't the god he is now. He got beat up alot. He was fighting for his wife....and then for revenge upon her death. The narrative was interesting. Now, he's bringing down Rome. A bit less personal. And there is never any danger of him being bested in battle which kind of kills the tension. I mean, obviously you knew he wasnt going to die. But losing a fight was a possibility. Not anymore.

I kind of just ignore him now. :o And he's the main character! I mean, all he has done in the past two seasons is give a monologue or two and roar at the camera while he swings his sword. :p It's partly the actor and partly the writing of him.

i think starz and deknight lost faith/interest once andy past away, he was the heart and soul of the show, but i agree sparty has morphed into an ensemble show and there are many interesting characters.

i do wonder moving the show past the ludus in season 1 was a mistake...yeah they couldnt stay there forever, but i think one more season of ludus could have been great.

• Advertisement

i think starz and deknight lost faith/interest once andy past away, he was the heart and soul of the show, but i agree sparty has morphed into an ensemble show and there are many interesting characters.

i do wonder moving the show past the ludus in season 1 was a mistake...yeah they couldnt stay there forever, but i think one more season of ludus could have been great.

We kinda got that in Gods of War tho didn't we .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What is the reference to the golden eagle about, Spartacus was surrounded by them in one scene.

I'm sure I seen a film before about the golden eagle but can't think what is the reason to the golden eagle.Is it a Roman symbol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What is the reference to the golden eagle about, Spartacus was surrounded by them in one scene.

I'm sure I seen a film before about the golden eagle but can't think what is the reason to the golden eagle.Is it a Roman symbol ?

Aquila

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

a good return, but it really is a shame that they killed all the good bad guys the last few seasons, Batiatus was a great bad guy, and exited the show far to early, Ashur was another one, and i always loved Illithia,

i dunno if the new guy can live up to the 3 of them, i like him already, hes off to a good start, and he comes across as very devious, and will do anything to get ahead,

was reading earlier that it returned to lower viewers than last year (2.5mill, compared to 2.7mill last season), and there is talk about if this season performs well that STARZ will make a similar series based on Cesar, who is suppose to come into the show soon,

happy its back:), but sad that a lot of my favorite characters are dead:(

don ramo wrote: »
    a good return, but it really is a shame that they killed all the good bad guys the last few seasons, Batiatus was a great bad guy, and exited the show far to early, Ashur was another one, and i always loved Illithia,

i dunno if the new guy can live up to the 3 of them, i like him already, hes off to a good start, and he comes across as very devious, and will do anything to get ahead,

was reading earlier that it returned to lower viewers than last year (2.5mill, compared to 2.7mill last season), and there is talk about if this season performs well that STARZ will make a similar series based on Cesar, who is suppose to come into the show soon,

happy its back:), but sad that a lot of my favorite characters are dead:(

Nobody will ever quite match Batiatus and Ashur for sheer deviousness and entertainment value but Crassus even after only one episode is already a far more entertaining and viable threat to Spartacus then the dour Glaber ever was , add Caesar to the mix (assuming he is written aswell as Crassus) and I feel they could be the making of this series for people like me who found Liam wanting and Glaber lacking last season . Based on this opening episode at least one side of that equation has been addressed, and as for the other, Liam could yet grow on me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think this one episode is already better than all of last season. I thought last season really suffered from the lack of Batiatus, and the whole season just seemed aimless and unfocused. Of course the tragedy of loosing Andy Whitfield explains some of that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We kinda got that in Gods of War tho didn't we .

You mean Gods of the Arena. :) though I was thinking a God of War series with the Spartcaus type dialogue would be cool, hearing Kratos shouting the Batiatus type lines. :D

Glad to have it back. was beginning to miss the over the top violence(crushing that head at the beginning), over the top sex(Foursome!!!) and over the top creative swearing. Oh and the plot and characters as a bonus. :D

I'm not up on my history so please no one post spoilers here, but going by what happened in this episode I think Gannicus's drinking will result in either his or someone else's death, the way that soldier managed to get away from him and would've escaped were it not for Spartacus's spear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

By Jupiters cock that was a good first episode!

Last season was very average so this episode is encouraging

Crassus is a great character, that was very devious what he did when he sent his own man to deliver the message
    I never realised it at all until the end

Caesar seems pretty bad ass. Liked that episode a lot.

I'm liking the development of Spartacus from Fighter to a Leader of Men more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

what channel is it on guys?

konman wrote: »
    what channel is it on guys?

:o what is the first rule of fight club....? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,623 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its actually starting on sky soon I think

this month anyway

edit

here ya go

http://sky1.sky.com/spartacus-war-of-the-damned/spartacus-goes-to-war-on-feb-11th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

what was going on in that scene? The one with
    the bj and knife
    ?

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

evil_seed wrote: »
    what was going on in that scene? The one with
    the bj and knife
    ?

:eek::eek:

also wasnt sure what was going on there :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I just realised I'm really going to miss this when it's over. So many simply brilliant characters, unforgettable moments and raw entertainment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement