Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

etiquette of visiters in someone elses home

Options
  • 16-02-2016 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Just Wondered what the etiquette with whole staying in someone elses home. Situation the other half had her friend , husband and three kids stay for 6 days. We bought / provided breakfast lunch and dinner. They bought some stuff yogurts for their kids and also eat ours . No offer to cook or provide dinner etc were made by them. I think its been tight not the way to go but wanted to know others opinions.

P.s. We slept on the couch so they could have our bed also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They were guests in your house and you want them to feed you?
    You may not be all that great a host!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

You invited them in as guests and they seem to have been treated as guests, it all seems above board to me.

What were you expecting? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So you put someone up for 6 days in your bed while you slept on a couch and they ate all your food and didn't contribute a penny?

Are you on Air BnB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You should have presented them with an itemized bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Well to be fair to OP it would have been a nice gesture if they had taken hosts out for a meal or treated everybody to a take away .
    They had nearly a weeks holiday with no expense as such so a token gesture would have been nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You gave them your bed? You're a bigger eejit.

Really it depends on the context. If you're doing it as a favour (e.g. they're getting work done on their house), then they should be bending over backwards to ensure they disrupt you as little as possible.
    If you invited them over to stay, then they're your guests and you asked for it, so I guess providing food and making them comfortable is what you wanted.

Though good manners would dictate that they buy some of the food and make at least some of the meals. On that though, cooking for someone else, in their house, can be a bit weird. Paying for a takeaway or something would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I never understand this type of logic.

Its not an easy thing to do, nor should it be taken for granted, for people to put you up in their home for 6 days, let alone when you include a partner and three kids.

Whenever I stay with mates that I know from college, even if only for a weekend, I'll buy the dinner or the drinks for at least one of the days.

I find it pretty obnoxious to take over a house for 6 days and not at least offer to totally take care of dinner one evening, or at least show your appreciation in some way.

Good actions should not be taken for granted, no matter your relationship to the person.

Edit: Just seeing you gave them your bed too. Jesus. I'd be mortified to do that to anyone. Unless it was a space issue whereby the three kids were squeezed into the bed with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That wasnt what I said. They basically decided to come for a holiday. We paid for everything for them and their kids with not even a offer to cook any evening etc I think its not been fair. It wasnt a one night stop. So we provided for 5 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Are they on holidays or why are they staying?
    If it's their holidays, I'd expect something in return... perhaps being brought out for dinner on the last day at very least.
    would you expect the favour to be returned?
    If you're helping them out, I guess you can really only expect a token gesture, if at all, as you did say yes to them staying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

As hosts you shouldn't expect anything and do it graciously.
    However, if the guests don't show any gratitude, then I wouldn't invite them back or send them a Christmas card.
    If they were genuinely hard up and were glad of a cheap holiday, that would be different.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Well to be fair to OP it would have been a nice gesture if they had taken hosts out for a meal or treated everybody to a take away .
    They had nearly a weeks holiday with no expense as such so a token gesture would have been nice.

Thats exactly what im saying. I Didnt expect them to pay for everything.. not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

They should probably offer cash or to cook or what not, in which you most likely will refuse.

guest etiquette is very tricky and havingg long term guests never work out unless very close family or friends, that's why I never have any!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Are they on holidays or why are they staying?
    If it's their holidays, I'd expect something in return... perhaps being brought out for dinner on the last day at very least.
    would you expect the favour to be returned?
    If you're helping them out, I guess you can really only expect a token gesture, if at all, as you did say yes to them staying.

On holidays..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

seamus wrote: »
    You gave them your bed? You're a bigger eejit.

Really it depends on the context. If you're doing it as a favour (e.g. they're getting work done on their house), then they should be bending over backwards to ensure they disrupt you as little as possible.
    If you invited them over to stay, then they're your guests and you asked for it, so I guess providing food and making them comfortable is what you wanted.

Though good manners would dictate that they buy some of the food and make at least some of the meals. On that though, cooking for someone else, in their house, can be a bit weird. Paying for a takeaway or something would make more sense.

No need to insult the OP.
    The rest of your post is valid though and tbh I don't think the guests took any advantage.
    You invited them into your home and subsequently gave them your own bed, I wouldn't have.
    If you didn't have enough space or if it wasn't very comfortable then maybe 6 days was excessive.
    Should the guests have cooked you food? I don't think so and I'd find it awkward if I saw them in my kitchen making me food while I just sit and watch.
    Think of it this way OP, your friends invite you to their house for a week and give you their bed and cook for you. Would you stop them? Would you start cooking for them? I think you possibly would have offered at the least a night out in a restaurant but you wouldn't for 6 days straight cook for your friends who invited you there.

josip wrote: »
    As hosts you shouldn't expect anything and do it graciously.
    However, if the guests don't show any gratitude, then I wouldn't invite them back or send them a Christmas card.
    If they were genuinely hard up and were glad of a cheap holiday, that would be different.

Let's just say we had the ... I get paid so well come out a few times which made it all the more strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It depends on the context, but most of the time it's on the host to look after the guests.

As somebody else said, they could have done a bit more to show some appreciation, like paying for a meal, splitting some of the shopping costs, a voucher for you and your partner to go out some time in the future, stuff like that.

I think it's as much the indication that they realise they're imposing on you and make some gesture to recognise that, as it is the gesture itself.

kieran. wrote: »
    You invited them in as guests and they seem to have been treated as guests, it all seems above board to me.

What were you expecting? :cool:

If you asked a friend if they wanted to go to the pub would you pay for them and their family for six days with nothing in return as in some gesture?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I would love to know what type of relationship the op had with the guests. It takes a special type of somebody to bring his family and holiday in somebody else's home for nearly a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

P.s. We slept on the couch so they could have our bed also

I don't understand why you'd do this?
    I'd make exceptions for our folks if they were staying and needed a bed for whatever reason.

More than happy to have folk stay but under no condition am I giving away the bed for their comfort.
    Luckily I've never had to deal with the food situation, we only usually get weekenders staying and in fairness they always buy a meal on one of the days as a "thank you".
    I'd think I'd lose the head at someone eating all round them and not replacing or contributing to the cost.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    No need to insult the OP.
    The rest of your post is valid though and tbh I don't think the guests took any advantage.
    You invited them into your home and subsequently gave them your own bed, I wouldn't have.
    If you didn't have enough space or if it wasn't very comfortable then maybe 6 days was excessive.
    Should the guests have cooked you food? I don't think so and I'd find it awkward if I saw them in my kitchen making me food while I just sit and watch.
    Think of it this way OP, your friends invite you to their house for a week and give you their bed and cook for you. Would you stop them? Would you start cooking for them? I think you possibly would have offered at the least a night out in a restaurant but you wouldn't for 6 days straight cook for your friends who invited you there.

Have stay one night before . Brough desert etc.... next morning. Nothing offered only à cup of tea.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Did you invite them or did they ask could they stay?

If you invited them, I could see how they may not think to offer to buy food/drink etc (although if it was me I'd still offer)

If they asked could they stay then they absolutely should have been giving a dig out with the meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I would love to know what type of relationship the op had with the guests. It takes a special type of somebody to bring his family and holiday in somebody else's home for nearly a week.

I get the feeling you don't like this visiting family OP?
    If you did... you probably wouldn't even be posting here as you'd enjoy their company and 'oversee' any stinginess.
    However, you probably don't like them and the fact they never made an offer to help / pay / show any appreciation has made things worse...
    I think your OH got the say to invite them in! Would I be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That wasnt what I said. They basically decided to come for a holiday. We paid for everything for them and their kids with not even a offer to cook any evening etc I think its not been fair. It wasnt a one night stop. So we provided for 5 people.

So did they invite themselves to your house rather than you invite them?
    Let's just say we had the ... I get paid so well come out a few times which made it all the more strange.

Commenting on how much you earn?

Sounds like they took you for a ride, free holiday for them and you paid for it.

Have stay one night before . Brough desert etc.... next morning. Nothing offered only à cup of tea.

This doesn't sound like a healthy sort of relationship, these types of offers are done in order to be with the people you enjoy being with and should be seen as selfless acts.
    If you or the other party are expecting things in return it defeats the whole purpose.
    I have never had this issue so I can't delve too far into it but it sounds like maybe you should both not do this for a while as there will always be something that you didn't like.

Toots wrote: »
    Did you invite them or did they ask could they stay?

If you invited them, I could see how they may not think to offer to buy food/drink etc (although if it was me I'd still offer)

If they asked could they stay then they absolutely should have been giving a dig out with the meals.

It was a bit like you should come over sometime. So they were invited. Not looking for my esb bill to be paid just a recognition that it's not all free. Thats what I.would do..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So they invited themselves to stay? Why would they believe this was acceptable? If they did, they should be paying their way, at least partly.

I'm still trying to decipher this. They are all perfectly good words but it seems that some are missing...

So did they invite themselves to your house rather than you invite them?

Commenting on how much you earn?

Sounds like they took you for a ride, free holiday for them and you paid for it.

No they were talking about themselves as in they get very well paid.... LOL they know im on the bread line

Ok now I'm confused.
    Did the family visiting invite themselves or did you casually throw it out there that they should visit and subsequently they dropped by for 6 days?
    You must have agreed to this beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No they were talking about themselves as in they get very well paid.... LOL they know im on the bread line

Well that's even worse. If they can well afford accommodation and you can't they shouldn't be expecting you to foot the cost of keeping a family of 5 for a week.

Advertisement