Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second coming of the Pope to coincide with General Election issue of 8th amendment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Kev W wrote: »
    A+ for pedantry!
    F for actually having a point!
    I'd give an F- for having a point but since we're being pedantic, that's not actually a thing.
    Were you actually making a point? Sorry. I honestly thought you were just going for the word play.
    So what was your argument then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Absolam wrote: »
    Were you actually making a point? Sorry. I honestly thought you were just going for the word play.
    So what was your argument then?

I was pointing out that two wrongs do indeed not make a right, but that should be obvious from my using those exact words. Sorry, I'll try to dumb it down considerably for you in the future.

I'll start now.

Woman is person, not oven for cook baby in.

I was pointing out that two wrongs do indeed not make a right, but that should be obvious from my using those exact words. Sorry, I'll try to dumb it down considerably for you in the future.
    I'll start now.
    Sooo.. hang on. ucseae1 said "TWO WRONGS WON'T MAKE IT RIGHT." You replied "That's two wrongs which, according to you, made a right."

But you meant the two wrongs didn't make a right? You were agreeing with him, by disagreeing with him? You're right, you'll probably have to dumb it down considerably for me in the future.
    You could start by explaaining which of the wrongs and rights involved an oven maybe?

Or, tell me, do you think the second coming of the Pope is intended to coincide with a an issue being made of the 8th Amendment in a coming General Election? I don't, but maybe you have some insights?

Sooo.. hang on. ucseae1 said "TWO WRONGS WON'T MAKE IT RIGHT." You replied "That's two wrongs which, according to you, made a right."

But you meant the two wrongs didn't make a right? You were agreeing with him, by disagreeing with him? You're right, you'll probably have to dumb it down considerably for me in the future.

Evidently.

So do you think "two wrongs don't make it right" makes sense as ucsae1 used it? Because to me it implies three wrongs, the original wrong and the two that don't make it right. I took it that "two wrongs don't make a right" is what was meant but I didn't make a big deal about it as such pedantry isn't constructive.,

What do you think the third wrong was, since you seem to believe ucsae1 meant what they wrote literally?
    You could start by explaaining which of the wrongs and rights involved an oven maybe?

A woman is not a box for making a baby in. Sorry if the metaphor was over your head.
    Or, tell me, do you think the second coming of the Pope is intended to coincide with a an issue being made of the 8th Amendment in a coming General Election? I don't, but maybe you have some insights?

Possibly.

Evidently.
    So do you think "two wrongs don't make it right" makes sense as ucsae1 used it? Because to me it implies three wrongs, the original wrong and the two that don't make it right. I took it that "two wrongs don't make a right" is what was meant but I didn't make a big deal about it as such pedantry isn't constructive.,
    What do you think the third wrong was, since you seem to believe ucsae1 meant what they wrote literally?
    I obviously can't speak for ucseae1, and apparently (even evidently) need things dumbed down for me, but I would have taken ucseae1s point as being;
    It's wrong for someone to be raped.
    It's wrong to kill the child.
    That doing a second wrong thing to address a first wrong thing doesn't make the second wrong thing into a right thing. Perhaps it's just a dumb idiom.
    A woman is not a box for making a baby in. Sorry if the metaphor was over your head.
    Oh no, I understand the metaphor, I just don't see how it flows from two wrongs don't make it right. Or even a right. It seemed something of a non sequitur? Though I'm sure you'll admit, if a baby were to be 'cooked' as you so pleasantly put it, there is no other means to do so, is there?
    Possibly.
    Insightful. Of course all things are possible, so would you venture a probably? Or probably not? Being the subject at hand, surely it deserves more than one word amongst the many you've expended so far....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I am liking you.

*NB to self - start another thread for actual discussion of abortion, till masters of pedantry turn up again and wreck it*

I obviously can't speak for ucseae1, and apparently (even evidently) need things dumbed down for me, but I would have taken ucseae1s point as being;
    It's wrong to kill the child.

A fetus is not a child.
    That doing a second wrong thing to address a first wrong thing doesn't make the second wrong thing into a right thing. Perhaps it's just a dumb idiom.
    Oh no, I understand the metaphor, I just don't see how it flows from two wrongs don't make it right. Or even a right. It seemed something of a non sequitur? Though I'm sure you'll admit, if a baby were to be 'cooked' as you so pleasantly put it, there is no other means to do so, is there?

So a woman is to be considered a "means" to make babies?
    Insightful. Of course all things are possible, so would you venture a probably? Or probably not? Being the subject at hand, surely it deserves more than one word amongst the many you've expended so far....

I'm sorry I don't have an insight as deep as your "I don't". Two whole words! Have you shopped it around to publishers yet?

A fetus is not a child.
    Sure, I'm not married to the term in fairness. So...
    It's wrong to kill the foetus.
    So a woman is to be considered a "means" to make babies?
    If you want to look at it that way you can also say a man is to be considered a "means" to make babies, since it takes both. But I'm reasonably sure even dumb people know we can be considered as more than just one of the things we can do. What do you think?
    I'm sorry I don't have an insight as deep as your "I don't". Two whole words! Have you shopped it around to publishers yet?
    Ah now; that's 100% more than your own contribution in fairness (200% if you draw out the contraction), and I offered an opinion on when I think a Papal visit might signify an attempt to exert influence. But I doubt we'll be competing for publishers, all the same :)

Sure, I'm not married to the term in fairness. So...
    I obviously can't speak for ucseae1,

It hasn't exactly stopped you, has it?
    and apparently (even evidently) need things dumbed down for me, but I would have taken ucseae1s point as being;
    I agree.
    It's wrong to kill the foetus.

I disagree.
    That doing a second wrong thing to address a first wrong thing doesn't make the second wrong thing into a right thing.

We only disagree on which "second thing" is wrong. To you, it's the termination of the fetus. To me, it's forcing a woman to carry her rapist's baby against her will, essentially extending the ripping away of her bodily autonomy that began with the rape.
    Perhaps it's just a dumb idiom.

I didn't introduce the idiom, take that up with uscae1.

If you want to look at it that way you can also say a man is to be considered a "means" to make babies, since it takes both. But I'm reasonably sure even dumb people know we can be considered as more than just one of the things we can do. What do you think?

I think when a man can be forced by authorities to carry a rapist's offspring to term then you might call that a fair comparison.
    Ah now; that's 100% more than your own contribution in fairness (200% if you draw out the contraction), and I offered an opinion on when I think a Papal visit might signify an attempt to exert influence. But I doubt we'll be competing for publishers, all the same :)

I think there's a decent chance that the papal visit might be an attempt to exert influence in the result of the election. It may also be a coincidence.

As to your notion that the visit would be timed to just before a referendum if it were intended to influence the result, why would they wait? Wouldn't it be better to influence events so that such a referendum never happens at all? Why take such a risk?

It hasn't exactly stopped you, has it?
    Well, I haven't exactly started, I did specifically say it's how I'd take the point. Now that it's been rewritten a few times for you, how do you feel about your response?
    I agree.
    I disagree.
    We only disagree on which "second thing" is wrong. To you, it's the termination of the fetus. To me, it's forcing a woman to carry her rapist's baby against her will, essentially extending the ripping away of her bodily autonomy that began with the rape.
    Oh, I'd agree that's a wrong too, and still maintain that a second wrong doesn't make a right.
    Where I think we'd disagree is that I feel the taking of a life is a greater wrong than the taking of bodily autonomy. I imagine we both think we're preferring the lesser of two evils, we simply disagree on which is lesser. I may be wrong; perhaps you don't think it's an evil to kill a child/unborn child/foetus, or perhaps it depends on the words you choose to use to describe it, which is an equally valid point of view.
    I didn't introduce the idiom, take that up with uscae1.
    I didn't take issue with the idiom at all, only your misrepresentation of ucseae1s position, via the idiom.
    I think when a man can be forced by authorities to carry a rapist's offspring to term then you might call that a fair comparison.
    So when rape is not involved, neither can be considered a means to make babies? Seems a bit selective, in fairness...
    I think there's a decent chance that the papal visit might be an attempt to exert influence in the result of the election. It may also be a coincidence. As to your notion that the visit would be timed to just before a referendum if it were intended to influence the result, why would they wait? Wouldn't it be better to influence events so that such a referendum never happens at all? Why take such a risk?
    There you go!
    Personally I think the Irish Church is unlikely to recommend the Pope as an influencer of the political class; politicians have too much to lose by being seen to kowtow to old influences in the new Phoenix Ireland to pay more than lip service. They know these days they have to be seen to be doing what people want (people being voters, not people generally, obviously). So rather than unsuccessfully attempting to bully politicians into stalling a referendum, and running the risk of negative public opinion by doing so, they'd be better served wheeling out the Holy Father to speak directly to the faithful about the closeness Ireland has with the Church and our strong sense of family and the way we have always cherished life throughout the world come the time to vote. Achieving a majority decision to retain a Constitutional right to life would be far more effective than delaying a vote to remove it, tactically speaking. There'd be no need to worry for decades in that case, rather than having to go into battle again at the sight of the next General Election, and the next. Not that I imagine any of this is on the mind of the Pope, or even many people in the Vatican. I should think it's the Irish Bishops who will be looking to influence when the Pope next visits.

• Advertisement

Well, I haven't exactly started, I did specifically say it's how I'd take the point. Now that it's been rewritten a few times for you, how do you feel about your response?

I stand by it, because I believe my interpretation is correct and yours is incorrect. I'm under no obligation to accept your interpretation.
    Oh, I'd agree that's a wrong too, and still maintain that a second wrong doesn't make a right.
    Where I think we'd disagree is that I feel the taking of a life is a greater wrong than the taking of bodily autonomy. I imagine we both think we're preferring the lesser of two evils, we simply disagree on which is lesser.

On this we agree.
    I may be wrong; perhaps you don't think it's an evil to kill a child/unborn child/foetus, or perhaps it depends on the words you choose to use to describe it, which is an equally valid point of view.

Of course I think it's evil to kill a child.
    I didn't take issue with the idiom at all, only your misrepresentation of ucseae1s position, via the idiom.
    Let's let ucsae1 decide who was misinterpreting their position. Unless you claim to speak for him/her?
    So when rape is not involved, neither can be considered a means to make babies? Seems a bit selective, in fairness...

Considered, certainly. Reduced to nothing but, as in the Miss Y case, absolutely not.

[/quote]There you go!
    Personally I think the Irish Church is unlikely to recommend the Pope as an influencer of the political class; politicians have too much to lose by being seen to kowtow to old influences in the new Phoenix Ireland to pay more than lip service. They know these days they have to be seen to be doing what people want (people being voters, not people generally, obviously). So rather than unsuccessfully attempting to bully politicians into stalling a referendum, and running the risk of negative public opinion by doing so, they'd be better served wheeling out the Holy Father to speak directly to the faithful about the closeness Ireland has with the Church and our strong sense of family and the way we have always cherished life throughout the world come the time to vote. Achieving a majority decision to retain a Constitutional right to life would be far more effective than delaying a vote to remove it, tactically speaking. There'd be no need to worry for decades in that case, rather than having to go into battle again at the sight of the next General Election, and the next. Not that I imagine any of this is on the mind of the Pope, or even many people in the Vatican. I should think it's the Irish Bishops who will be looking to influence when the Pope next visits.[/QUOTE]

I don't really need to point out the flaw in that argument where it relates to the Church in Ireland, do I? It's been done enough times.

I stand by it, because I believe my interpretation is correct and yours is incorrect. I'm under no obligation to accept your interpretation.
    Fair enough, I'm sure ucseae1 will eventually pop along to tell us if, contrary to his own assertion, that was two wrongs that made a right. I have a feeling he's not likely to say it was though.
    Let's let ucsae1 decide who was misinterpreting their position. Unless you claim to speak for him/her?.
    I don't, but I don't think it's solely up to ucseae1 to decide whether or not you misinterpreted their position, is it? We're all capable of seeing what you said.
    Considered, certainly. Reduced to nothing but, as in the Miss Y case, absolutely not.
    So, just to be clear, you think in the Miss Y case both men and women being a means to make babies were reduced to nothing? That's an odd notion. But anyway, outside of rape you say both men and women can certainly be considered a means to make babies. Another odd notion, but it seems you're full of them. Don't you think we'd all be better off of we considered men and women to be more than just a means to make babies? Without demeaning their facility to do so nonetheless, of course.
    I don't really need to point out the flaw in that argument where it relates to the Church in Ireland, do I? It's been done enough times.
    You don't? Sure you might as well, at least it would be on topic :) Well, maybe not, the Miss Y thing was a bit of a non sequitur after all, but maybe all the same?

Fair enough, I'm sure ucseae1 will eventually pop along to tell us if, contrary to his own assertion, that was two wrongs that made a right. I have a feeling he's not likely to say it was though.
    *sigh*

I never claimed that ucsae had stated two wrongs made a right. I said the opposite of that.
    I don't, but I don't think it's solely up to ucseae1 to decide whether or not you misinterpreted their position, is it? We're all capable of seeing what you said.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. You're just not entitled to have it taken seriously.
    So, just to be clear, you think in the Miss Y case both men and women being a means to make babies were reduced to nothing? That's an odd notion.

It certainly would be, had I expressed it. What I implied was that Miss Y had been reduced to a means to make a baby by authorities, much as she had been used as a means to cause suffering by her rapist.

I have no clue where you got "both men and women being a means to make babies were reduced to nothing" from. That's barely a sentence, much less an opinion.

But anyway, outside of rape you say both men and women can certainly be considered a means to make babies. Another odd notion, but it seems you're full of them. Don't you think we'd all be better off of we considered men and women to be more than just a means to make babies? Without demeaning their facility to do so nonetheless, of course.

Yes. In fact, that was my entire point. Well done.
    You don't? Sure you might as well, at least it would be on topic :) Well, maybe not, the Miss Y thing was a bit of a non sequitur after all, but maybe all the same?

The church's record on protecting life, in particular the lives of babies in Ireland, is well known. Of course those probably don't count because they'd already been born, so to hell with them, right? Not worth bothering with if you can't use them to punish women anymore.

*sigh* I never claimed that ucsae had stated two wrongs made a right. I said the opposite of that.
    My apologies. I thought you said "
    That's two wrongs which, according to you, made a right.
    That's what you wrote, you see.
    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. You're just not entitled to have it taken seriously.
    True, and in fairness I wouldn't expect you to take it seriously. Still, there it is.
    It certainly would be, had I expressed it. What I implied was that Miss Y had been reduced to a means to make a baby by authorities, much as she had been used as a means to cause suffering by her rapist.
    Ah. Do 'the authorities' have a putative reason for reducing Miss Y to a means to make a baby? I don't recall any of them saying they were on the lookout for a means to make a baby, and since we all know that none of them ever expressed any such intent, what I'm really wondering is what reason you've made up on their behalf? Is there any indication (at all?) that any of 'the authorities' might have seen something more to Miss Y (kind of like I said earlier; that she was considered as more than just one of the things she could do?)
    I have no clue where you got "both men and women being a means to make babies were reduced to nothing" from. That's barely a sentence, much less an opinion.
    I know, it's quite dreadful isn't it? I got it from my question "So when rape is not involved, neither can be considered a means to make babies?" Which you answered with "Considered, certainly. Reduced to nothing but, as in the Miss Y case, absolutely not." It was an odd answer, you're right.
    Yes. In fact, that was my entire point. Well done.
    It was? I thought your entire point was
    A woman was raped and then forced to carry her rapist's fetus. That's two wrongs which, according to you, made a right.
    But anyways, good to see some agreement; neither of us think a woman is to be considered a "means" to make babies. Progress, eh?
    The church's record on protecting life, in particular the lives of babies in Ireland, is well known. Of course those probably don't count because they'd already been born, so to hell with them, right? Not worth bothering with if you can't use them to punish women anymore.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the Pope is not very likely to express that opinion if he turns up here to tell the Irish just how awesome we are at protecting babies though. I doubt he even holds that opinion, but I'm sure he won't express it if he does. And whilst he's telling us all just how wonderful we are, look at all the little babies Trocaire helped in Africa, the Irish are the loving hearts of the world etc etc, how many people will want to hear we're not? Who will want to hear some begrudger telling them we're awful people who turned a blind eye to terrible abuses and should be ashamed of what we didn't to to protect young lives? Not many I suspect.
    Which is why I think, tactically, a Papal visit makes more sense in the lead up to a referendum on the 8th, from the Church's point of view.

Ah FFS. *Unfollow*

My apologies. I thought you said " That's what you wrote, you see.

Clearly in reference to uscae1's belief that forcing a rape victim to give birth to her rapist's baby is a good thing. You're either being deliberately obtuse or not paying attention.
    True, and in fairness I wouldn't expect you to take it seriously. Still, there it is.
    Yes, it certainly is there.
    Ah. Do 'the authorities' have a putative reason for reducing Miss Y to a means to make a baby?

The reason they did so was because the current unjust law demands it.
    I don't recall any of them saying they were on the lookout for a means to make a baby, and since we all know that none of them ever expressed any such intent, what I'm really wondering is what reason you've made up on their behalf?

I never claimed they had said as much, only that that is how they acted. Her personhood was put aside because her rapist had impregnated her. As long as the fetus was unharmed she didn't matter.
    Is there any indication (at all?) that any of 'the authorities' might have seen something more to Miss Y (kind of like I said earlier; that she was considered as more than just one of the things she could do?)

None that I am aware of, no. She was treated as an unwilling incubator.

I know, it's quite dreadful isn't it? I got it from my question "So when rape is not involved, neither can be considered a means to make babies?" Which you answered with "Considered, certainly. Reduced to nothing but, as in the Miss Y case, absolutely not." It was an odd answer, you're right.

You seem to think the Miss Y case involved both a man and woman being reduced to a means to make babies. Only a woman was.
    It was? I thought your entire point was
    But anyways, good to see some agreement; neither of us think a woman is to be considered a "means" to make babies. Progress, eh?

I don't see any contradiction there.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the Pope is not very likely to express that opinion if he turns up here to tell the Irish just how awesome we are at protecting babies though. I doubt he even holds that opinion, but I'm sure he won't express it if he does. And whilst he's telling us all just how wonderful we are, look at all the little babies Trocaire helped in Africa, the Irish are the loving hearts of the world etc etc, how many people will want to hear we're not? Who will want to hear some begrudger telling them we're awful people who turned a blind eye to terrible abuses and should be ashamed of what we didn't to to protect young lives? Not many I suspect.
    Which is why I think, tactically, a Papal visit makes more sense in the lead up to a referendum on the 8th, from the Church's point of view.

Fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Shrap wrote: »
    Ah FFS. *Unfollow*

I'm so very close behind you. :rolleyes:

Don't let the RCC and their helpers win.

Oh janey, never. This struggle for commonsense in my lovely country is a life-long mission. Doesn't mean I have to engage in dead end conversations though, which are a specialty for a certain regular here. Unreadable, never mind unanswerable (due to lack of any point in doing so).

Oh janey, never. This struggle for commonsense in my lovely country is a life-long mission. Doesn't mean I have to engage in dead end conversations though, which are a specialty for a certain regular here. Unreadable, never mind unanswerable (due to lack of any point in doing so).

I look at it like a puzzle. Or like hide-and-seek but with logic.

• Advertisement

I look at it like a puzzle. Or like hide-and-seek but with without logic.

Nope. Fixed your post. The logical thing to do would be to expand a conversation on a discussion forum. It is illogical to deploy conversational tactics akin to the effects experienced in the gravitational pull of a black hole.

Nope. Fixed your post. The logical thing to do would be to expand a conversation on a discussion forum. It is illogical to deploy conversational tactics akin to the effects experienced in the gravitational pull of a black hole.

I meant that I was trying to find the logic.

I meant that I was trying to find the logic.

Ah right. Good luck with that! Off topic, so going off air till this convo is either over, or dead. *Y'know Absolam, like foetuses are when aborted*

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ucseae1

I'm back Absolam. I was going to give up trying to debate here. The pro-abortion camp won't be happy until they see a dead child as medical waste. That sadly is the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Ah FFS. *Unfollow*
    I know... I should have asked him to stick to the second coming of the Pope to coincide with General Election issue of 8th amendment, right? Oh well.

Clearly in reference to uscae1's belief that forcing a rape victim to give birth to her rapist's baby is a good thing. You're either being deliberately obtuse or not paying attention.
    So, when you said "That's two wrongs which, according to you, made a right" you "never claimed that ucsae had stated two wrongs made a right". But I'm the one being deliberately obtuse or not paying attention?
    The reason they did so was because the current unjust law demands it.
    Would you quote the particular legal passage that demands it? I'm pretty certain that no such demand exists in the legislation.
    I never claimed they had said as much, only that that is how they acted. Her personhood was put aside because her rapist had impregnated her. As long as the fetus was unharmed she didn't matter.
    No, you said that that Miss Y had been reduced to a means to make a baby by authorities; I asked you what reason you've made up for their doing so on their behalf. Since, as you've acknowledged, they never said they did any such thing. Or had any reason to do any such thing. No one involved in the process ever siad that they did, or should, or even could, put aside her personhood, did they?
    None that I am aware of, no. She was treated as an unwilling incubator.
    None that you're aware of? None at all? You're familiar with the fact that she was afforded refugee status.
    You're familiar with the fact that she was given health screening.
    You're familiar with the fact that she was assisted by IFPA in reviewing pregnancy options.
    You're familiar with the fact that she received assistance from the immigration council
    You're familiar with the fact that she was provided with both physical and mental health care by Spirasi.
    You're familiar with the fact that she received GP care from two GPs
    You're familiar with the fact that she was assessed by two psychologists who agreed her pregnancy should be terminated.
    You're familiar with the fact that she was assessed by an obstetrician who did in fact terminate her pregnancy.
    And yet you're not aware that she was treated as more than just a means to make a baby. Do you think your awareness may be somewhat selective?
    You seem to think the Miss Y case involved both a man and woman being reduced to a means to make babies. Only a woman was.
    No, I actually don't think the Miss Y case involved either a man or a woman being reduced to a means to make babies; I acknowledge that there is no reason to imagine anyone involved intended or was prepared to reduce the people involved to such a nonsensically ridiculous position, either in word or deed.
    I don't see any contradiction there.
    Sure, that's why I said it's good to see some agreement.
    Fair point.
    Interesting how much easier it is to find consensus on topic than it is on introduced diversions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

ucseae1 wrote: »
    I'm back Absolam. I was going to give up trying to debate here. The pro-abortion camp won't be happy until they see a dead child as medical waste. That sadly is the reality.

Ah shuren that proabortion crowed are hanimules, I'm tellin' ye.

Not sure how many 'pro-abortion' there are here, to be honest. I'd class myself as 'pro letting people decide for themselves without reference to the religious beliefs of complete strangers, unless that's their thing' kinda guy.

Any pro-aborts here? Come out now or be silent forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

pauldla wrote: »
    Any pro-aborts here? Come out now or be silent forever!

It's pro-choice or anti-choice.

That is all.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's pro-choice or anti-choice.
    That is all.
    I think some people say it's pro-life or anti-life.

And that is all.

Of course, maybe you're both wrong.

Advertisement