Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Chris___ wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    I'd hardly think an Irish person would travel to Africa and take photos of a black man and then bring this person back to Ireland and take photos of him in and around the Maynooth area to set up a fake profile. .

True enough. Still doesn't make sense to judge the other billion and something by him though.
    Before we take in anyone they should be vetted and anyone who does come in should be excluded from certain welfare payments JSA/DA and deported if they don't seek work.

They already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

What vettings take place, Nodin? Please cite sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

:rolleyes:
    I'd hardly think an Irish person would travel to Africa and take photos of a black man and then bring this person back to Ireland and take photos of him in and around the Maynooth area to set up a fake profile.

Before we take in anyone they should be vetted and anyone who does come in should be excluded from certain welfare payments JSA/DA and deported if they don't seek work.

Yes because only Africans are black men. Do you think he could have taken a pic off the internet and are you sure the pic is of Maynooth

The stuff some of you people are willing to defend is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nodin wrote: »
    How do you know he was actually African and not some ass clown with a fake account?

Do you think that its fair to base an assessment of the population of a continent with a population of over 1 Billion on this one (supposedly African) gobshite?

Not to generalise but a much higher amount of immigrants are homophobic than irish people. Of my 600 fb friends not one irish person made any bad statuses about SSM, in the last 3 days Ive seen about 5 horribly homophobic statuses about the referendum. 3 by muslims from egypt and pakistan, and 2 more by two different nigerians. Some were male and some female.

Yes its generalising but its also important to protect gay irish people already living here from immigrants who may treat them very badly.

• Advertisement

It would be very ignorant and wont benefit anybody if we pretend that the majority of muslims aren't very anti gay and womens rights for the sake of political correctness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Once again how come we have such a high Nigerian community in Ireland when Nigeria isn't in the EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Once again how come we have such a high Nigerian community in Ireland when Nigeria isn't in the EU?
    I didn't know we did particularly.

We have a very high Nigerian community and African and Asian.

How is it so easy to set up shop in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Yeah. How many Nigerians are in the country?

• Advertisement

Yeah. How many Nigerians are in the country?

Are you from Dublin? I don't know what its like outside Dublin, immigration wise, but I don't know how could be from anywhere in dublin and not notice a huge nigerian community!

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are you from Dublin? I don't know what its like outside Dublin, immigration wise, but I don't know how could be from anywhere in dublin and not notice a huge nigerian community!
    There's a good few of them in Limerick too.

The point im getting at is how is it so easy for people outside the eu to set up in Ireland.

I think 41% of Nigerians in Ireland are unemployed, im using Nigeria as an example of how easy it looks.

This could be applied to a lot of nationalities in Ireland.

The point im getting at is how is it so easy for people outside the eu to set up in Ireland.

I think 41% of Nigerians in Ireland are unemployed, im using Nigeria as an example of how easy it looks.

This could be applied to a lot of nationalities in Ireland.
    Yeah this is curious. How does Ireland compare to the UK (per head of population of course)?

In the UK the rate of immigration is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

I would be interested in an answer to that question too, if there is one.

EU migrants, by virtue of our membership, have the right to reside and work here, and that's a right, for better or for worse. I don't understand the Non-EU migration however, and the sheer numbers involved, particularly from the Middle East and from West Africa; Nigeria, in particular. Do we not have quotas on how many economic migrants we take from non-EU countries?

I would estimate that the 17,000 figure quoted for Ireland's Nigerian population is significantly off the mark, I would say closer to 20,000+, if I had to put a figure on it.

I'm just genuinely curious as to how straightforward it seems to be to come here from a Non-EU country, as opposed to the rigorous checks that an Irish citizen has to go through to go to the USA or Australia, for example.

Outside of Irish travellers, Nigerians have the highest unemployment rate out of any group in the state at 39%. Asylum seekers are not considered unemployed and are not included in live register before anyone starts. Other than the British, they are the second highest immigrant group in receipt of rent allowance. In the noughties, 25% of all Nigerian asylum applications made in the OECD were made in Ireland. Less than 1% were awarded refugee status here.

Can anyone explain this? Did they all come here on work permits and lose their jobs or something?

Outside of Irish travellers, Nigerians have the highest unemployment rate out of any group in the state at 39%. Asylum seekers are not considered unemployed and are not included in live register before anyone starts. Other than the British, they are the second highest immigrant group in receipt of rent allowance. In the noughties, 25% of all Nigerian asylum applications made in the OECD were made in Ireland. Less than 1% were awarded refugee status here.

Can anyone explain this? Did they all come here on work permits and lose their jobs or something?
    Obviously the conditions in Ireland are such that it is very attractive to them. Perhaps the 180 euro a week dole, free rent, free healthcare etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

The numbers can be attributed to genuine refugee cases (fleeing from Boko Haram), though how much are genuine refugees and how many are economic migrants would be harder to ascertain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭MorpheusKnight

The numbers can be attributed to genuine refugee cases (fleeing from Boko Haram), though how much are genuine refugees and how many are economic migrants would be harder to ascertain.

Nigeria is a large country.

The north. Ii's primarily Muslim, the South is Catholic.

I have heard of cases turned down because they still had the option to move to another part, of the South, of the North etc

• Advertisement

Nigeria is larger than Germany and France combined. Boko Haram control an area in the rural north east the size of Belgium. Absolutely no need to flee all the way here. Don't like Brussels, try Paris or Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Net immigration into the UK is 310k. The tories have said that it's their ambition to get it into the 'tens of thousands'. They were clamping down hard on non EU immigration before the election and now that the have a majority government they will be clamping down harder.

For example, Theresa May has said that they will confiscate all illegal immigrants illegally earned wages. They are now deporting failed asylum seekers and making them appeal from within their home country, instead of allowing them stay in the UK whilst the appeal process is ongoing.

As we share the Common Travel Area with such a jurisdiction and have much more lax policies, of course we are going to get the overspill. It's as inevitable as night turning to day.

Yea but the question is where do these people go then? Id say one guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

If Ireland are to take some migrants, we should be looking to take some with our own christian beliefs.
    Christians live in fear in many countries across North Africa, Middle East and South West Asia.
    I think Ireland should be doing more to help these minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

If Ireland are to take some migrants, we should be looking to take some with our own christian beliefs.
    Christians live in fear in many countries across North Africa, Middle East and South West Asia.
    I think Ireland should be doing more to help these minorities.

Nah, I rather take in the educated and skilled ones, it's much better for the economy and society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wakka12 wrote: »

How do you know they're Nigerian?

He takes out his ruler and starts measuring their skulls. How do you think he can tell? People have accents, Nodin. It's quite easy to tell where they are from based on their accent. Anyway, can you cite sources to back up your claims that we vet all non EU migrants before they come here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Nah, I rather take in the educated and skilled ones, it's much better for the economy and society.

In making bombs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Outside of Irish travellers, Nigerians have the highest unemployment rate out of any group in the state at 39%.

In fairness it's hard to beat the traveller rate of 80%+

Because there were lots of them in all the schools and colleges Ive gone to and I knew them, and I know lots of nigerians through friends and social gatherings I go to. Thats what makes me think dublin has a very large nigerian population
    And I assume most black people I see on the streets in dublin are nigerian, which most of them probably are

• Advertisement

How about taking in none of them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement