Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options
  • 18-01-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭

Leo Varadkar just came out on RTE Radio.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Good for him.
    Best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I knew it. Good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Never understood the notion of coming out.

What business is it of anyone else? Nobody ever comes out as straight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Respect to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

AgileMyth wrote: »

Because of heteronormative assumptions

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

And?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

This is a surprise to some?

Likeable fella, always suspected it.

Doesn't change my opinion of him one bit. I find him quite honest something a few more of our elected could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I look forward to living in a time where 'coming out' is totally unnecessary as no one bloody cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Couldn't care less what anyone's sexual persuasion is, and fair play to him for 'coming out' (i certainly wouldn't have ever guessed it)

I can't help feeling though, this revelation will seriously hinder him from ever taking the FG leadership reigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Wooooow earth shattering news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well done to him, hope he's happy.

It would be nice to think we live in a world/time where nobody would care, but sadly some will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You'd think he'd cured cancer from all the support he's getting :)

I don't care if someone is gay, straight or other....but it's not really an achievement, is it? Run a marathon? Oh sure - fair play to you! Good for you!

Gay? Straight? Asexual? Transexual? Ummm...okay. Cool, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

He's never hidden it, just didn't say it. If I knew he was gay before hand it was hardly like he was hiding it. Good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

probably... because there's no stigma/ negative sentiment (historically) to being in the straight majority!!.... stupid stupid comment.

Maybe he has found someone significant, and wishes to be seen openly with him. Perhaps that pushed him to out himself.

But to my knowledge, it was the worst kept secret in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

That's a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

In other news, scientists have discovered that the earth is not flat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Leo Varadkar just came out on RTE Radio.

Was he trying to deflect from the screw up FG have made of the health service since they've been in power?
    Was he asked how come FG were able to break the 600+ people on trolleys, a record the FFailures couldn't even reach?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Saipanne wrote: »
    Maybe he has found someone significant, and wishes to be seen openly with him. Perhaps that pushed him to out himself.

But to my knowledge, it was the worst kept secret in Dublin.

He was outed in Village magazine a few weeks ago

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wish he would just stop talking.
    thought he was married and she was a exec of Matthews tours/coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Fair play to him.

Unfortunately I think this may seriously harm his prospects of becoming Taoiseach one day

Was he trying to deflect from the screw up FG have made of the health service since they've been in power?
    Was he asked how come FG were able to break the 600+ people on trolleys, a record the FFailures couldn't even reach?

Ffs...

I'd truly hate to have your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Ha ha if they thought that worked every FGer would start coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I wonder will he be front and centre on the SSM referendum now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

trying to corner the gay vote eh, boost the numbers, jeez FG must be getting desperate, they'll even come out of the closet
    As for being gay, really? none of anyone's business, who cares, nothing to see here, really nothing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Fair play to him.

Unfortunately I think this may seriously harm his prospects of becoming Taoiseach one day

I wouldn't think so. The upcoming referendum on same sex marriage will be a good indicator. I suspect most people could not give a monkey's about his sexual orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fair play to him.

?

Advertisement