Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bike Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

W86indow wrote: »
    Well i hope they expand it??? Who wants to cycle around the city in a circle for godsake bikes are a mode of transport and should be used like so not a gimmick which this is . I was excited wen i saw the holders up there on clare street assumed i could cycle 20 mins out to UL but no im sure theres people who thought they cud cycle to work too like out to raheen .... No i cant afford a bike atm so ive been walkin and busing it but i wud have liked the opportunity to register for 5e n get use out of it... And there is no wayy id use a regular lock on them bikes anywhere you have to pay 150e minimum to replace the bike if it gets stolen and i love my city but mon now most robbed item in limerick????
    All dem bikes are like .5km away from each other !! Useless unless your a tourist arsin around the city

AFAIK, it's a fiver to register. Why not register now but wait to use them until you're happy with a start/end location that suits your needs or for that matter just hold off the registration until the scheme suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Wow? Fascinating where did you go? From the top of o connell street ti the bottom gimme a break....

Yesterday, I went from Roches Street out the Dock road to get some firewood at the Topaz garage and cycled back. Took me less than 15 minutes. Would have taken me 45 minutes walking and just as long to drive given the traffic yesterday evening. Today I went from the Strand to the market and back. Not exactly a huge distance but I saved a good bit of time doing that.

On Wednesday I went from the Strand up to Punches Cross, which is a fair distance.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who will find them useful. Obviously not you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

Wtf would i do that??? Really like really? Only person with common sense around here , why wud I give them all my details now for **** i cant use are you well? Bottom line locations of these bikes are useless they should be replacing buses and cars for work !!!! Everyone is missing the point here they are only a flippin gimmick

Well ok if you had time to cycle down the dock road fair enough but how comfortable did you feel when you left that bike down while you obtained your firewood????? Id gladly cycle long distance however im not relying on a 6e lock if im far out of the bike docking stations watever they are....to get done for 150e if that bike gets stolen. Im sure the company would charge u regardless if its stolen cuz its your responsibility

Wtf would i do that??? Really like really? Only person with common sense around here , why wud I give them all my details now for **** i cant use are you well? Bottom line locations of these bikes are useless they should be replacing buses and cars for work !!!! Everyone is missing the point here they are only a flippin gimmick

You don't have to give them details until you want to register. They suit some people now, they'll suit more people as it expands and in all probability they'll never suit others. That's the way of life.

• Advertisement

How philosophical of you. Lets hope this gets expanded soon so everyone can use it suburbs and city

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Biggest pile of **** to hit limerick again ... Does anyone plan anything proper in this city can anyone tell me...???? You cant go further than oconnell street with these bloody bikes!!! Okay mary i --- but why the hell are these bikes not in the cresent shopping centre /raheen industial estate The universty of limerick and thomond park?????? Coonagh cross and childers road where people who work study and need to do shopping can access a bike??? Are they just for tourists for the craic like? think its rediculous where they are situated honestly i wouldnt register for them cause i wouldnt feel safe unless i could check it back in to a proper holder so i wont be cycling from town to the cresent anytime soon honestly feel the situations of these bikes have been wasted

The first televisions were piles of sh!t compared to televisions we use today. The first cars were piles of sh!t compared to cars we use today. The first mobile phones were piles of sh!t compared to mobile phones we use today. Over time improvements and additions can be made to products. In the mean time, you can just opt out of being an early adopter until improvements are made that make you want to join the scheme. Since you're so passionate about cycling I'm sure you already have a bicycle you use and can continue to use until the bike scheme is up to your standard.

No i dont have a bike . And im angry at what could have been a beneficial and useful transport scheme not a gimmick

No i dont have a bike . And im angry at what could have been a beneficial and useful transport scheme not a gimmick

Like I said, it's only just opened. It'll be a lot better by summer and over the years as the city expands so will this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Just because it is not beneficial to you does not mean it is not beneficial to others. As has been pointed out in this thread it is quite beneficial to some people. I will be using them monday to friday most weeks for at least an hour a day saving me id say about an hour and a bit traveling time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right, enough bickering, there's been a lot of posts deleted here, how a thread about a new initiative in Limerick could descend into bickering so quickly is a bit amazing.

This is the last warning, any more bickering/back biting/trolling/baiting/backseat modding will result in a ban, not a warning, not a yellow card, but a ban.

3 of us here in the office have just registered, hoping to use it for lunchtime cycles at least and if it works out then use it for Park & Cycle to work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It'll be nice if/when it gets expanded out to Castletroy and the other outer suburbs, as it would really help in people getting to the city centre from the outskirts. Even though I have a few bikes myself, the ability to take one of these in, and take another out, would be a boon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Gonna to take one for a spin one of the days but would love if it gets expanded out to castletroy. There's really good cycle there aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Does anybody know where are the stations by treaty stone and Bedford row? They are always shown as offline on the app?

Does anybody know where are the stations by treaty stone and Bedford row? They are always shown as offline on the app?

Treaty Stone station not up and running yet. I think it might be close to the Curragower Bar, based solely on seeing works taking place there in the last few days.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Yes, there's a few station that haven't been commissioned yet, they'll show as offline.
    They're starting work on one outside the Model school on O'Connell avenue, so hopefully a few others will appear shortly as well.

Anyone going for a spin today then?

Anyone going for a spin today then?

I have something to do at lunchtime and was hoping to use one of them, but between snow and strong winds forecast for later, maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The station at King John's Castle has been offline on the app for the last week or so. Is the station actually out of order or is it a glitch with the app?

• Advertisement

The station at King John's Castle has been offline on the app for the last week or so. Is the station actually out of order or is it a glitch with the app?

Not that much help, haven't used that station for a while, but I've had a good few problems with it since it opened (couldn't rent a bike as the keyboard was a bit messed up). It also thought I had returned a bike to Galway once when I did use it, so I'm not surprised to see they're having more trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kernow

I live near King John's castle and that station has been offline since Christmas. There is a sign up on the station apologizing about it being out of order and they hope to have it up and running again soon. They don't look to be in any hurry to fix it at the moment. I saw someone had dropped a bike back there yesterday when the guy came round in his truck to pick it up he couldn't release it so he just drove off and left it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baser

Just to let people know, the 3 day pass doesn't appear to be an option at the moment (nor has it been from day one it seems) - I've tried at multiple stations and it times out before you can enter your credit card details. The powers that be are aware of this but seem to be happy enough not to notify anyone!

Big uptake in the last couple of days probably due to the dry weather. Must have seen at least 20 users this week so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Galway Calling. Any progress on the stations that are still off line on the bikeshare app? Show's 7 stations in Limerick City in a GREY status.

Galway Calling. Any progress on the stations that are still off line on the bikeshare app? Show's 7 stations in Limerick City in a GREY status.

No sign of any. A few sites were fenced off early in January but the fences are gone again. I think the Colbert Station one might not be active til the new plaza is ready. Work due to get underway soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭what_traffic

No sign of any. A few sites were fenced off early in January but the fences are gone again. I think the Colbert Station one might not be active til the new plaza is ready. Work due to get underway soon.

Thanks Poxyshamrock. I signed up for both Limerick and Galway.
    Will be visiting Limerick soon. Will get to experience Limerick City Cycling.

4 Stations still outstanding in Galway. Two are built for weeks but still not operational. We have 2 stations that have been put on the long finger construction wise. One due to road work's near New Coach Station the other a NEW location must be found outside NUIG/ UCHG.

All the posts are in place for bikes at merchant's quay/Mary's cathedral. Work started late last week I think so progress at least.

Work ongoing at the stand next to the Curragower Bar, probably be ready early next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭sioda

Used them again tonight really impressed overall

Advertisement