Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim: 'Kyiv is the mother of all Russian Cities'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

stevejazzx wrote: »
    And looking at these figures Robin they awould appear to be vastly more well represented and influential than you described in your post
    Have another read of my post - especially the bit where I describe their representation in the Rada.
    This is just wrong - their historic figurehead is Stephan Bandera
    Stepan (not Stephan) Bandera spent three years in a variety of Nazi concentration camps and was not a Nazi himself - he was a Ukrainian nationalist who tried to co-operate with the Nazi's to oust the Soviets from Ukraine.
    Their policies are bananas; ultra nationalist nonsense; come on Robin!
    I said that Svoboda's policies are more in line with UKIP than they are with Hitler and while you may disagree, having read some of their policies and spoken with some members of Svoboda (have you?), I stand by that assessment.

FWIW, I agree with you that they're bonkers, but I also think that UKIP are bonkers and the elected members of Sinn Fein, north and south, have probably committed more crimes than the elected members of Svoboda. But regardless of that, while Svoboda is far-right, it is not Nazi in any real sense and that unhelpful, untrue and unquenchable reach-for-the-godwin is what I'd like to see an end to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

robindch wrote: »
    Have another read of my post - especially the bit where I describe their representation in the Rada.Stepan (not Stephan) Bandera spent three years in a variety of Nazi concentration camps and was not a Nazi himself - he was a Ukrainian nationalist who tried to co-operate with the Nazi's to oust the Soviets from Ukraine.I said that Svoboda's policies are more in line with UKIP than they are with Hitler and while you may disagree, having read some of their policies and spoken with some members of Svoboda (have you?), I stand by that assessment.

FWIW, I agree with you that they're bonkers, but I also think that UKIP are bonkers and the elected members of Sinn Fein, north and south, have probably committed more crimes than the elected members of Svoboda. But regardless of that, while Svoboda is far-right, it is not Nazi in any real sense and that unhelpful, untrue and unquenchable reach-for-the-godwin is what I'd like to see an end to.

So we all here are to believe they're an ok bunch because you spoke to a member of their party and their anger is directed at yanukovich, and really their policy's are no worse than the other right wing party's..? Don't make laugh.. The 600 odd people they've used to the military to exterminate since the uprising would disagree..
    Very suprised at your stance here robin..
    What you just said about bandara is pure propaganda.. Nazi collaborator.. Fact..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Turtwig wrote: »
    Doubt many people from that culture would be able to comfortably draw an innocent passenger jet into the firing line. I know I wouldn't. Jesus, if I even remotely felt I was responsible for a missile hitting a passenger jet I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I'd say most other people are the same.
    I tend to agree, but on the other hand people will do things they wouldn't otherwise if they are "just following orders". Look at the bombing of Hiroshima, Dresden, Gaza etc... all mostly civilian casualties but "the end justifies the means".

Another possible scenario; if you were flying the Ukrainean warplane and realised the missile was locked on to you, with 20 seconds to impact, but by flying past the airliner you could trick the proximity detonator of the missile into detonating , thereby saving yourself, what would you do?

On a slightly related note, the two most dangerous seats in a car during a collision with an object are known to be the front passenger seat and the seat immediately behind the driver. This because at the last second, when the driver has to choose to swerve either left or right, the driver always swerves whichever way saves himself.

jimeryan22 wrote: »
    The 600 odd people they've used to the military to exterminate since the uprising would disagree.. Very suprised at your stance here robin..
    You don't appear to be aware of any facts concerning this entire issue, even the fairly basic ones - I suspect that's why nobody's engaging with any of your posts.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Another possible scenario; if you were flying the Ukrainean warplane and realised the missile was locked on to you, with 20 seconds to impact, but by flying past the airliner you could trick the proximity detonator of the missile into detonating , thereby saving yourself, what would you do?
    I think most pilots would probably eject.

You don't appear to be aware of any facts concerning this entire issue, even the fairly basic ones - I suspect that's why nobody's engaging with any of your posts.

What a very odd post.. From nearly everything I've seen you post an odd person with a very ****ed up "moral" compass robin..
    I think why so many seem to disagree with your posts here and most other threads I've seen. Funny that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

From nearly everything I've seen you post an odd person with a very ****ed up "moral" compass robin.
    jimeryan22, please refrain from ad hominems of this nature.

You have been warned.

In the interim government in Ukraine they had member who was deputy Prime Minister and as one deputy of defense.
    So far as I recall, they had four and very quickly, three (not two) members in the interim administration - the majority were junior positions, save for the minister of defense until he resigned in late March over accusations of inactivity - the opposite of what Russian media would have you think about Svoboda.

In any case, this now appears to be mostly irrelevant as Klitschko's UDAR and Svoboda both withdrew from coalition with PM Yatsenyuk's party. This paves the way for early parliamentary elections, which I think most people had been hoping for but the parliament had failed to pass legislation for. If they do, then I hope that they're called and held quickly, rather than having everybody hang around for months as they did for the presidential election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Have another read of my post - especially the bit where I describe their representation in the Rada. Stepan (not Stephan) Bandera spent three years in a variety of Nazi concentration camps and was not a Nazi himself - he was a Ukrainian nationalist who tried to co-operate with the Nazi's to oust the Soviets from Ukraine.I said that Svoboda's policies are more in line with UKIP than they are with Hitler and while you may disagree, having read some of their policies and spoken with some members of Svoboda (have you?), I stand by that assessment.

So the argument here that you're representing is that the Ukrainian far right, radical party, Svoboda have no Nazi affiliations and that we should believe that they are approaching the milder side of ultra nationalism, an oxymoron if ever I heard one?

This used to be their flag/logo

svoboda-original.jpg

It was changed only because ultra nationalism cannot, generally, get ahead in modern politics. You mentioned Sinn Fein there - do you believe them when they say they've changed? Or do you think they, like Svoboda are playing the political game?

Quite how you can make a representation for these people and play down their affiliations and yet remain somehow entrenched in your unfaltering stance against the Russians is a remarkable piece of compartmentalization.
    Anything related to the old communists and Putin is unquestionable propaganda yet official doctrine emanating from a far right nationalist group, and a couple of personally conducted roadside interviews, is enough for you to essentially equivocate them as party.

Do you feel that if one was to accept that Svoboda had, ultimately, Nazi leaning ideologies that it would be too difficult to gloss over the fact that the US, met them, shared a platform with them and essentially egged them on during the revolution? Would it make things a little too uncomfortable for those sticking to the western playbook of the events that have happened this year in Ukraine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How do you know the altitude of the warplane?

What warplane? You haven't established that one existed.
    If there was one, it was most likely an Su-25 ground attack aircraft limited to 16,000 feet.

Are you familiar enough with the radar screen of a BUK missile launcher to definitively say that two radar blips at the same co-ordinates but different altitudes are easily discernible?

Are you familiar enough?

You have made a claim, that it is possible MH17 was being used as cover. Substantiate it.

Do you have evidence that there was a miiltary plane 'at the same co-ordinates' or indeed nearby? That's the first hurdle your claim has to clear.

This is just utterly ridiculous, comic book stuff.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What warplane? You haven't established that one existed.
    If there was one, it was most likely an Su-25 ground attack aircraft limited to 16,000 feet..
    I'm not making that claim, the Russian military made it originally, and now this separatist leader has said it too.
    I said;
    If his account is true, it also confirms the presence of Ukrainian jet(s) in the vicinity at the time...
    If you are correct that the non-existent warplane was a Su-25, then yes around 16,000 feet is the service ceiling when fully loaded with fuel and weaponry. But "service ceiling" is only the max. height at which the plane still operates at full efficiency. The actual height limit of the plane would be its "absolute ceiling" which is much higher, and which also depends on the weight it is carrying at the time.

Strange that the Ukrainian govt. still have not agreed to release transcripts or recordings from air traffic control conversations with MH17, which would shed more light on what was going on at the time.

...This paves the way for early parliamentary elections, which I think most people had been hoping for but the parliament had failed to pass legislation for. If they do, then I hope that they're called and held quickly, rather than having everybody hang around for months as they did for the presidential election...
    What are the chances of votes being counted in the rebel controlled areas of the east? The new parliament is likely to under-represent the views of people living in those areas, and be even more right wing than the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not making that claim, the Russian military made it originally, and now this separatist leader has said it too.

And you are repeating this claim, so it's up to you to defend or abandon it.

If you are correct that the non-existent warplane was a Su-25, then yes around 16,000 feet is the service ceiling when fully loaded with fuel and weaponry.

A ground attack aircraft with no external stores isn't much use. Anyway, aerodynamically clean it's still limited to under 23,000 ft

But "service ceiling" is only the max. height at which the plane still operates at full efficiency. The actual height limit of the plane would be its "absolute ceiling" which is much higher, and which also depends on the weight it is carrying at the time.

Taking an aircraft to its absolute ceiling (where it can barely sustain level flight) is crazy, never mind doing this in a military aircraft in disputed airspace. There is no benefit to do so either, it makes one a sitting duck, on the contrary a ground attack mission will fly as low as possible to avoid radar.

Strange that the Ukrainian govt. still have not agreed to release transcripts or recordings from air traffic control conversations with MH17, which would shed more light on what was going on at the time.

They will be released but in accordance with the usual ICAO investigation procedure. The interim report stating the available facts usually takes six months. The full report stating the probable cause usually takes at least two years.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 grols

terrorists in eastern Ukraine has shot down five helicopters, planes and 5, the total number of victims of human 382.
    Not to mention Boeing.

I think that says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

putin is the winner and clearly outset himself to be knowing the western weakness .....

putin is the winner???
    Oh no, he only half-mad dictator who wants to rebuild the Soviet Union.
    He holds high rank in more than 20 years. It has a great influence on the psyche

grols wrote: »
    terrorists in eastern Ukraine has shot down five helicopters, planes and 5, the total number of victims of human 382.
    Not to mention Boeing.

I think that says it all

And how many victims since the conflict started by the unlawful terrorists running the government...?

Losses from Ukraine:
    Military losses of 330 killed and died of wounds, 655 wounded (according to the National Security Council of Ukraine)
    Civil offerings to 478 people, 1392 - wounded

Loss of terrorists: to 1950 killed and died of wounds (including at least 33 Russian)

grols wrote: »
    Losses from Ukraine:
    Military losses of 330 killed and died of wounds, 655 wounded (according to the National Security Council of Ukraine)
    Civil offerings to 478 people, 1392 - wounded

Loss of terrorists: to 1950 killed and died of wounds (including at least 33 Russian)

The Ukrainian seperatists are not terrorists... That is another far too easy term that is now doing the rounds..

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

And how many victims since the conflict started by the unlawful terrorists running the government...?
    The Ukrainian seperatists are not terrorists... That is another far too easy term that is now doing the rounds..

Uh huh.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Uh huh.

Uh huh ya feckin self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Uh huh ya feckin self

He's just pointing out your own double standard. If it makes you feel angry, chew some ice to vent.

What are the chances of votes being counted in the rebel controlled areas of the east?
    Given that Russian-backed gunmen stopped the presidential election from happening in around 80% of the Donetsk and Lugunsk oblasts, I'm inclined to agree with your concern -- unless they're dislodged, they're almost certain to try to deny Ukrainian citizens the right to vote in the parliamentary elections as well.

BTW, Aleksander Borodai, the self-proclaimed DPR leader, admitted links to Russian state security agencies in a BBC interview the other day. And, it seems Borodai appears to have some past form in preferring dictators to democracy.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    He's just pointing out your own double standard. If it makes you feel angry, chew some ice to vent.

My double standards...??? That is a good one.. His yours and a good few others round here are the double standard gang.. Not me..
    You's are the ones repeating off talking points and propaganda lines from main stream media round here.. Even though there is not a shred of concrete proof yet..
    So yeah.. Chew that Ice your talking about yourself.

You just seem frustrated and don't seem to wish to address his criticism.

You just seem frustrated and don't seem to wish to address his criticism.

Of course I'm frustrated seeing the same bollox all the time from the same people so happy to constantly suck up and then spit out the cliche lines.. Leads you to believe they are either just sheep or professional dis info agents... Always parroting out news lines the same as the media with no proof... Also makes you wonder if these same people are the same ones that sucked up "weapons of mass destruction, ties to al-queda, babies took out of incubators and thrown on the cold floor".... Etc etc etc

So that's a no? Okay so.

So that's a no? Okay so.

So that's as predictable response as per usual then....? Thinking it makes you look clever..

• Advertisement

So that's as predictable response as per usual then....? Thinking it makes you look clever..

I asked you if it would be be possible to respond to the criticism. You haven't and that's fine. You clearly view us to be ill informed drones so I can't see a discussion with you going anywhere.

Advertisement