Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

FaganJr wrote: »
    I'm 500 - 600m from Cab by road, probably 400m as the crow flies, if thats any help to ya?

Hmm I'm only about 30 or 40 yards from the Cab, so it's not a distance issue then. The eFibre has only become available in my area and there's still some work going on AFAIK, so they might sort it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

First test in a long time. UPC 100 mb
    3021857977.png

UPDATE:
    On reflection, I thought that 0 ms ping was too good to be true, so I ran the test again
    3021930278.png

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Zynks wrote: »
    First test in a long time. UPC 100 mb
    3021857977.png

UPDATE:
    On reflection, I thought that 0 ms ping was too good to be true, so I ran the test again
    3021930278.png

What in the world...... you probably live right beside the exchange man jesus. Can you test other servers besides enniskillen id like to see your results. And can you also test your ping via www.pingtest.net as well as ping goole.com using cmd? For me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    What in the world...... you probably live right beside the exchange man jesus. Can you test other servers besides enniskillen id like to see your results. And can you also test your ping via www.pingtest.net as well as ping goole.com using cmd? For me

How is that even possible? I thought a plan is 1ms, so how can he get this...

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

red_bairn wrote: »
    How is that even possible? I thought a plan is 1ms, so how can he get this...

Burn the witch!

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Sh!t is bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ricimaki

www.speedtest.net/my-result/3004412934
    The speed in the UL library. :)

3022942030.png
    The speed in my accomadation. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

UPC 150mb Fiber. No idea why the ping is 0.

hnaw.png

Test from UPC.ie

9cvi.png

Pingtest:

87628759.png

Pinging Google:

bluv.png

3wayswitch wrote: »
    UPC 150mb Fiber. No idea why the ping is 0.

hnaw.png

Test from UPC.ie

9cvi.png

Pingtest:

87628759.png

Pinging Google:

bluv.png

How close are you to the cab, and where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Looks like everybody is getting 0ms ping :P

I'm on the 150 package, I'll try to do a wired speed test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

How close are you to the cab, and where are you getting this from?

I'm in the Deansgrange area of Dublin. No idea where my cab is, is there a list of their locations available?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Speedtest on UPC.ie
    [url]to4S2AJ.png[/url]

Very poor on Speedtest.net, wired mind you.
    3025476191.png

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I'm in North Wexford using Meteor mobile Broadband, When I do speedtest it's showing my location as Limerick.
    Any idea why?
    Also when auto select server, it's selecting Galway with fastest speed & ping.
    When I select Eircom Dublin, which I assume is where my traffic actually goes thru being a meteor customer, very much hit & miss on ping.
    more miss than hit at mo with ping of 500+ ms, causing nuisence on my satbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I'm in North Wexford using Meteor mobile Broadband, When I do speedtest it's showing my location as Limerick.
    Any idea why?
    Also when auto select server, it's selecting Galway with fastest speed & ping.
    When I select Eircom Dublin, which I assume is where my traffic actually goes thru being a meteor customer, very much hit & miss on ping.
    more miss than hit at mo with ping of 500+ ms, causing nuisence on my satbox.

Mobile broadband uses internal NAT for IP addressing so the address you have is internal probably on a router in Limerick.

Same reason you are seeing odd results when you select different servers, although this can also be due to the location of the Ookla server (runs Speedtest) and how traffic is routed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

3053273800.png

3061346906.png

If only it was my own personal network. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

red_bairn wrote: »
    3061346906.png

If only it was my own personal network. :rolleyes:

......WHAT! I hate you.... I hate you........
    I'd love those speeds.... :P

......WHAT! I hate you.... I hate you........
    I'd love those speeds.... :P

Why? It isn't my home network. It's from the server that I work on.

3067242610.png

Something is serious wrong with my internet.
    Constant 16Mb speeds and now this:
    3068793915.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle_Tommy

I got broadband installed from Airwave yesterday. I signed up to the 6mb package and I'm very happy so far. :D
    3072085305.png

3072083987.png

88662559.png

I'm living in rural cork and I'm delighted as this is my only other option to 3g.

Are ping times on Airwave naturally this good or are you just close to you exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle_Tommy

Are ping times on Airwave naturally this good or are you just close to you exchange?
    I'm about a kilometer from the mast (it's fixed wireless).

When I do a speed test to my closest server (Cork) I usually get a ping of 10 ms. When I ping boards.ie or Google.ie I get an average of 15 ms and it always stays under 25 ms. In the ping test above, I'm pinging Dublin and getting 16 ms. However, I'm not sure how reliable it is as I've only had it for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

3073855401.png

Should I be happy with this 70mb :confused:

I'm a bit from the cab and all my line could hadle used to be 3mb

dave1982 wrote: »
    3073855401.png

Should I be happy with this 70mb :confused:

I'm a bit from the cab and all my line could hadle used to be 3mb
    That download is grand and the upload is great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

That download is grand and the upload is great.

Not if he's on a 70Mb connect! Redo the test a couple of times from the Enniskillen server and let us know what you get. Oh and not from wireless of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Scruff wrote: »
    interesting solution, can ye share the details?

Sorry I took so long to post it.
    So we link our house ( which is in a valley ) to our stables (which is on high ground ) via a Mikrotik Wireless router.
    The stables had LOS to a local mast.
    This was a life saver as all we could get was eircom limited at 2mb.
    The Mikrotik and ISP receiver are on top of one another so the cables weren't too messy to set up.
    We did'nt really have proper los between where the aerial was put on our house and the stables but we got the full 5 bars none the less.
    The Mikrotik router on our house connect to homeplugs which in turn connected to 2 wireless routers which cover most of the house.
    Total cost including installation was about 250 but it really was worth it as eircom was so unusable and slow.
    Below is a picture of the sender we used, hope that explains it!

http://postimg.org/image/9mgwxffzt/

SPeedtest over wifi:
    3076880385.png#88771163.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

Dazza wrote: »
    Sorry I took so long to post it.
    So we link our house ( which is in a valley ) to our stables (which is on high ground ) via a Mikrotik Wireless router.
    The stables had LOS to a local mast.
    This was a life saver as all we could get was eircom limited at 2mb.
    The Mikrotik and ISP receiver are on top of one another so the cables weren't too messy to set up.
    We did'nt really have proper los between where the aerial was put on our house and the stables but we got the full 5 bars none the less.
    The Mikrotik router on our house connect to homeplugs which in turn connected to 2 wireless routers which cover most of the house.
    Total cost including installation was about 250 but it really was worth it as eircom was so unusable and slow.
    Below is a picture of the sender we used, hope that explains it!

http://postimg.org/image/9mgwxffzt/

SPeedtest over wifi:
    3076880385.png#88771163.png

I thought you said you were on a 10mb down / 1mb up package? You're getting 20mb.

http://www.novabroadband.ie/w/

Which one of these packages are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Mesut Ozil wrote: »
    I thought you said you were on a 10mb down / 1mb up package? You're getting 20mb.

http://www.novabroadband.ie/w/

Which one of these packages are you on?
    The last time i posted i was on the 10mb package . We had originally ordered the 20mb but their mast wasn't upgraded enough for it so on the day of the install the installer told us it would be a month before it was enabled. After a month or so we were upgraded to it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Blade wrote: »
    Not if he's on a 70Mb connect! Redo the test a couple of times from the Enniskillen server and let us know what you get. Oh and not from wireless of course.

Thanks I hit 46MB connected directly to router, balls I'm losing nearly 50% of my speed VIA wifi

Advertisement