Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Eircom Fibre 50 / 15 Connection

Pretty happy with the results

Previous was a 10M connectionTBH

2947320175.png

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I'm ashamed to admit this, but how do I get that speedtest and ping test summary on to a boards reply.
    Anytime I've tried it's come out as an URL, which is not the idea I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

when u do a speedtest just copy the image link its beside the web link. and then click insert image on here and just paste the link in.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Nolars wrote: »
    when u do a speedtest just copy the image link its beside the web link. and then click insert image on here and just paste the link in.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mines in my sig.

Been getting 105/10mbits rock solid all day and night for the last 2 months since I bridged my UPC EPC3925 router to an ASUS RT-N66U router. That was on the UPC speedtest though. Was still stubbornly getting 80/7mbits on the speedtest.net site though. That was until I upgraded my browsing Atom powered PC to a quad core i5. Turns out that speedtest.net is a resource intensive little bugger of a Java App And the dog slow atom processor was effecting the results. Since the PC upgrade I'm now getting rock solid 105/10mbits and low pings on speedtest.net too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Calibos wrote: »
    Mines in my sig.

Been getting 105/10mbits rock solid all day and night for the last 2 months since I bridged my UPC EPC3925 router to an ASUS RT-N66U router. That was on the UPC speedtest though. Was still stubbornly getting 80/7mbits on the speedtest.net site though. That was until I upgraded my browsing Atom powered PC to a quad core i5. Turns out that speedtest.net is a resource intensive little bugger of a Java App And the dog slow atom processor was effecting the results. Since the PC upgrade I'm now getting rock solid 105/10mbits and low pings on speedtest.net too.
    Yeah, that explains alot. Need to upgrade my ****ty laptop lol.

86189889.png

2955746278.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

TheTorment wrote: »
    86189889.png

2955746278.png
    Wow where on Earth can I get a stellar connection like that? :L

....Wow that's brutal.

Wow where on Earth can I get a stellar connection like that? :L

....Wow that's brutal.

lol
    Its not that bad....it gets up to 0.8mbs sometimes ;)

South Wexford is where its at!!!

I am on 24mb package and Originally i was receiving around 10mb wired but last night for some unknown reason my connection downgraded to 6mb. So i did call eircom and issue was sorted out but by the looks of things i think they might have improved my connection?

Previous speed test, server: Enniskillen
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2945661525

Previous speed test, server: Galway
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2872972110

What i am getting now.

2956596865.png

2956608308.png

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 16539 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 28 dB /14 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 5 dB /18 dB

It is kind of weird how i am getting much lower ping on Enniskillen server compared to galway. Since i am closer to galway shouldn't it be other way around???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    It is kind of weird how i am getting much lower ping on Enniskillen server compared to galway. Since i am closer to galway shouldn't it be other way around???

Not really. You could have packets sent out to Galway that don't go through or are delayed on some nodes (servers). The Galway trip for the "Car" just came to more traffic lights. ;D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom finally moved me to ADSL2+, living just over 2km from exchange but line length is almost 3km

Speed: 9313 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 48 dB /19 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /18 dB

2959149195.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eircom finally moved me to ADSL2+, living just over 2km from exchange but line length is almost 3km

Speed: 9313 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 48 dB /19 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /18 dB

2959149195.png

Similar to ours with Line Attenuation @ 38.0 db/18.3 db.

They did it for free, right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah they did it for free, we were supposed to be ported over over a year ago but never were. Also moved from a business package back to home advanced broadband (they couldnt do this without upgrading me to ADSL2+ at the exchange)

I am on 24mb package and Originally i was receiving around 10mb wired but last night for some unknown reason my connection downgraded to 6mb. So i did call eircom and issue was sorted out but by the looks of things i think they might have improved my connection?

Previous speed test, server: Enniskillen
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2945661525

Previous speed test, server: Galway
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2872972110

What i am getting now.

2956596865.png

2956608308.png

Speed: 16539 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 28 dB /14 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 5 dB /18 dB

Hello there. :D
    2972209781.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

UPC need to double their upload. 105mbit down 'only' has me 'Faster than 97% or IE'.

So obviously upload is a weighted variable in the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Hello there. :D
    2972209781.png

Nice speeds bloodyhawk.

Clover wrote: »
    Nice speeds bloodyhawk.

Hahah, thanks man. Although the connection has been kind of unstable last night to be honest. Hopefully it will get sorted out with following days since it is a newly installed connection. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

For anyone that has been upgraded to efibre, i have a question.

Has your ping times lowered dramatically or are they still the same?

For anyone that has been upgraded to efibre, i have a question.

Has your ping times lowered dramatically or are they still the same?

Yes mine has as well. I thought i was the only one though?
    mine lowered by whole 20ms. How much did yours lower by?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Yes mine has as well. I thought i was the only one though?
    mine lowered by whole 20ms. How much did yours lower by?

I haven't got efibre yet i'm just enquiring. Some people have told the same has happened them as it has you.

Apparently there's a correlation between upload speed and ping. Don't know how much of that is true as i'm not a network technician.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bazideluxe

2982941585.png
    86749501.png

Eircom DSL, 24Mbit package, 100 meters from exchange

Speeds should improve soon.

I haven't got efibre yet i'm just enquiring. Some people have told the same has happened them as it has you.

Apparently there's a correlation between upload speed and ping. Don't know how much of that is true as i'm not a network technician.

What do you mean by correlation of upload and ping?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Arden Broadband, on a 3mb down and 2mb upload package. Happy with the results and the connection I'm getting.

2986351278.png

86827450.png

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Upgrading to Vodafone VDSL in few weeks, this is Smart Broadband (owned by Digiweb) in Dundalk centre.
    I'm behind 2 routers with a 500Mb/s AC ethernet adapter (Homeplug) in between them:

2990274013.png86910914.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

2993798974.png

24MB with Vodafone engineer fixed our line today happy with these speeds for now area only got ADSL2+ recently finally i can rid of Three's aweful midband 3G network .

ModulationType: ADSL2+
    Upstream Downstream CurrRate(kbps) 765 17404 MaxRate(kbps) 1197 23028 NoiseMargin(dB) 20.4 6.2 Attenuation(dB) 17.0 6.5 Power(dBm) 12.4 18.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Eircom 8 meg down 0.5ish up. Living in South Dublin. Getting this rubbish for the past few months now.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2996511722][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2996511722.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]2996511722.png

Nothing else running in the background. No one else in the house was using a computer/phone while I ran the test. Love the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Bloody bad today :mad:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2997323829

Ping: 1152

Download
    0.17Mb/s

Upload
    0.20Mb/s

9/28/2013 at 9:10 AM GMT

then 5mins later up to

2997330268.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Just got Eircom eFibre 50 so pretty happy with these results. Though I notice FaganJr getting close to 15 upload on the same package. Not that I'd ever need that kind of upload but curious what the reason is there as I'm only a stone's throw from the CAB. Great ping from Dublin to Enniskillen anyway!

3010157731.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Blade wrote: »
    Just got Eircom eFibre 50 so pretty happy with these results. Though I notice FaganJr getting close to 15 upload on the same package. Not that I'd ever need that kind of upload but curious what the reason is there as I'm only a stone's throw from the CAB. Great ping from Dublin to Enniskillen anyway!

I'm 500 - 600m from Cab by road, probably 400m as the crow flies, if thats any help to ya?

Advertisement