Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elvis goes Up & Over

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Elvis went to hell and came back !

Why did i sign up for that ? After months of training for Up & Over i went a did an event where there wasn't 1 foot of flat level ground and the chances of me twisting my ankle or the like was rather rather high !

I dug out my oldest pair of New Balance and off to the start line i went, i wore a tri suit under a t shirt as i knew it would be the best thing to have on as i'd be getting wet.

I had no Garmin so no idea of time but by 5k i knew it was going to be slow, i really had to concentrate on where my foot landed every time as i was so scared of doing in my ankle or the like. I made it through the ice bath and the snipers shooting pellets as us ( i got hit 3 times ), after a while longer the fun started for me in the bog where the 99kg ( yep i'm under 100 ) man sank to above his waist:D it took me a while to get through that muck and then it was through a sewer pipe for a crawl !

Then it was my favourite bit, the river crossing where you held a guide rope and crossed the river three times. The water was cold but when you do ice baths on a regular basis it was fine for some of us ! Out of that and the legs were slightly numb for a minute.

The real fun started now...........HILLS, HILLS, HILLS. Up to this point i was running and keeping my place while passing out a few along the way but the hills stopped all of us......i mean all of us.

There were a few ups and downs in the forest which did slow me down but then we got out of the woods and the real climbing started we were on a lane with a right turn and i said i'll walk to the turn, i got to the turn only to see what was ahead of me.....1500m of solid climbing, i and everyone else walked it.....i got to the top and tried to run down it but it was so steep and trying to keep a safe footing was hard, there were loose rocks everywhere.

Finally at the bottom and we had to carry half a block 50m out and back, next it was a bit that i actually smiled during, we had to carry a sand bag up another steep hill and back down. As i did it i thought to myself that i carried this extra weight every day, everywhere and i was so glad that it was just up and hill and back down.

Guess what was next.............another very steep climb:D i just put one foot in front of the other and got up it as quick as i could, one guy passed me and he was holding his quads ( as was i ) we just looked at each other and laughed......" i don't think our quads will be talking to us tomorrow".

Top of that hill and then we had 2k downhill, it was nice to finally get the legs turning over. That was one of the things i found hardest about the event, the stop, start, stop , start of it all.

There were a few more things like a log carry, barbed wire, climbing over wood, a 10 foot wall ( that was actually easy ) and climbing over some bales.

Then into another "ice bath" so they made sure you were wet for the electric wires bit. I got though that with no shocks by keeping to the right, all that went to the left got shocked.

Off to the end line and one final fcuker to get past ! A 30 ft eh eh thing that skate boarders use ? Right it was liken't a half tube, it was a quarter that went to the top of the wall and you had to run up it and grab on to climb over.

At this stage my legs were shot and it look 5 attempts to get over it. I got to the end line with my number hanging on by safety pin and i was caked in mud.

Overall a good day and something different. My legs are in ribbons with cuts and brusies and my left arm looks like i was shooting up all weekend.

Next time i'll have more hill training done, i will do it again !

I took yesterday as a rest day, i had planned to cycle but mrs jones asked me to swap my rest day so i could spent the morning with the kids. I had a great day and my BBQ skills ( not just the cooking but the marinading as well ) were put to good use in my parents.

I went crazy last night and had two bottles of non alcoholic pear cider.........oh i know its really just sparlking pear juice, but i enjoyed it.

Back out on the road this evening on the bike. I have to do out my training plan for the week. There are a few sessions set in stone but i have to work out the rest.

My diet is good and i'm under the 100kg mark, i have an aim of getting down another 8 to 10kg by Aug 22. I think thats possible because of the amount of training that i'm doing. Add to that i'll get my body fat measured again and that percentage is more important than my actual body mass.

I know what i'm doing is working as the clothes are looser and i'm doing to the 2nd last hole in my belt.

8 weeks of full training left before 10 days of taper and then it all begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I took yesterday as a rest day, i had planned to cycle but mrs jones asked me to swap my rest day so i could spent the morning with the kids. I had a great day and my BBQ skills ( not just the cooking but the marinading as well ) were put to good use in my parents.

I went crazy last night and had two bottles of non alcoholic pear cider.........oh i know its really just sparlking pear juice, but i enjoyed it.

Back out on the road this evening on the bike. I have to do out my training plan for the week. There are a few sessions set in stone but i have to work out the rest.

My diet is good and i'm under the 100kg mark, i have an aim of getting down another 8 to 10kg by Aug 22. I think thats possible because of the amount of training that i'm doing. Add to that i'll get my body fat measured again and that percentage is more important than my actual body mass.

I know what i'm doing is working as the clothes are looser and i'm doing to the 2nd last hole in my belt.

8 weeks of full training left before 10 days of taper and then it all begins.

I've been on the non-alcoholic Kopparberg for the last couple of weeks. It really does make the BBQs more enjoyable. I went to a mate's BBQ a few weeks ago and was drinking diet Club Orange, just doesn't feel the same.

I even had a pint of N/A Erdinger Weissbier on Saturday night to go with my home-made low-cal curry.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I've been on the non-alcoholic Kopparberg for the last couple of weeks. It really does make the BBQs more enjoyable. I went to a mate's BBQ a few weeks ago and was drinking diet Club Orange, just doesn't feel the same.

I even had a pint of N/A Erdinger Weissbier on Saturday night to go with my home-made low-cal curry.

The main reason for the non-booze regime is to avoid the munchies ! I get the munchies and eat crap when i drink. I don't get hangovers really and after 2 bottles of wine i can be out running/cycling the next day no bother. BUT the munchies leads to me putting on weight:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The main reason for the non-booze regime is to avoid the munchies ! I get the munchies and eat crap when i drink. I don't get hangovers really and after 2 bottles of wine i can be out running/cycling the next day no bother. BUT the munchies leads to me putting on weight:(

I can get out and "train" the next day but not for any kind of quality session, and definitely not for a long run.

The non-alco varieties do have loads of calories though, but if it keeps you away from Abrakebabra it's still a net loss.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    I can get out and "train" the next day but not for any kind of quality session, and definitely not for a long run.

The non-alco varieties do have loads of calories though, but if it keeps you away from Abrakebabra it's still a net loss.

Thats it ! I have to be careful of the sugar being diabetic but as you say there's a net benefit from drinking the non alco drinks.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well done on your trip through hell. :) Friends of mine did it and they said it lived up to its name. And you're getting all precious about your ankles too. Long distance events do that to you alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well done, not an easy thing to do. Heard some great reports part of me say's do one the other half says still will clear of it but you are kind of selling it well.

Oryx wrote: »
    Well done on your trip through hell. :) Friends of mine did it and they said it lived up to its name. And you're getting all precious about your ankles too. Long distance events do that to you alright!

Precious is the word alright, it was all i could think of for the first few km:o

Well done, not an easy thing to do. Heard some great reports part of me say's do one the other half says still will clear of it but you are kind of selling it well.

Its tough but its fun, you can do it as part of a team so 4 of you can stay together and really knock some craic out of it.

• Advertisement

Home early yesterday evening and mrs jones was headin out so i had to get my session done quick. I decided to throw the bike on the turbo and push it out for an hr. It was a good session and within that hr i only stopped for 5 sec to fix my shorts.

Afterwards i had a nice bath in epsom salts and got some fluids into me.

Another LSR today, it will be 27 or 28k.

26k done, wow that was tough in the heat. It was a different route and water stashing wasn't easy. I stopped at 12k and bought a bottle of water and some sweets but it was a big enough bottle and not easy to carry so i stop sipps for about 500m and put the bottle in a bin.

I got to my sister in laws at 19k and got more water which was in another big bottle so i just took some on and went ( i made a mistake and gulped it down ), off i went again and at about 24k there was the burp or puke moment.......it was a burp ! I had to deal with that for the final 2k and ugh it was my own fault for gulping down the water.

One of the problems was that i wore a t shirt over my tri suit and i got very very warm. I had no sun block on my shoulder or upper arms so didn't want to take off my t shirt.

Home, recovery drink, shower, recovery sleeves and out the door to a photo shoot ( yep thats what i said ).

When i got home i got food into me and relaxed on the couch !

Another good session done but the time is passing quickly and only 7 1/2 weeks of training left before the taper begins:eek:

Swim at lunch today

Elvis went splashy !!!

2k done in roughly 56 min. First few lengths were hard enough but after that i'd settled into it and enjoyed it when i think i ran 26k yesterday and was able to do this today.

Doing that swim made me look at how far i've come, I did my 1st half marathon in July 2010 and after it i had to take 3 days off, i could move.

Yesterday i ran 26k and within 45 min of that i had one of the kids put to bed, showered and was in the car off to a photo shoot. Then swam 2k today............we have progress:D

Tomorrow will be 2k swim at lunch and 12k run in the evening when i get the kids to bed.

What are you using as a recovery drink???? In the market and could do with some pointers

What are you using as a recovery drink???? In the market and could do with some pointers

I used to use chocolate milk, i had a good mix of carbs and protein. But now i use Kinetica Recovery, the orange and mango one. It tastes good and stay down:D

Another lunch time swim session and again it was 2k. The 2k is getting easier every time but i have to say the final 10 lengths were a struggle today.

As my swimming progresses i want to get the lunch session up to 2.3 to 2.5k in the next few months.

I'm on daddy duty this evening and have to collect mrs jones so i don't know if i'll get my run done but i don't mind i have a session done today and i have 16k planned for lunch tomorrow ( i'm taking an extra 30 min )

I've decided how my season will end. 1.4 Iron distance in Lanzarote on Nov 2nd.

We were going to go in NY but have decided to change our plans and take in this instead:)

What do you mean by 1.4? Presume you mean 70.3?

What do you mean by 1.4? Presume you mean 70.3?

No thats what the website says but it seems to be an Olympic with a shorter swim

950m swim
    40k bike
    10k run

I know the routes as well which helps !

Ah, no. Sorry I was confusing it with IM70.3 which is on in October.

• Advertisement

Ah, no. Sorry I was confusing it with IM70.3 which is on in October.

There's a different 70.3 thats in Puerto Del Carmen in Nov and this 1/4 is part of it. Its called Ocean Lava its a local guy who runs it.

I used to use chocolate milk, i had a good mix of carbs and protein. But now i use Kinetica Recovery, the orange and mango one. It tastes good and stay down:D

Cheers, I hate chocolate milk so I guess it will have to be the other. I need to something these legs are in bits

Cheers, I hate chocolate milk so I guess it will have to be the other. I need to something these legs are in bits

That will come with time, your body is still getting used to constant training.

Have you got your gait done ? Are you wearing the right runners ? Do you stretch afterwards ? Are you properly hydrated afterwards ? Are you getting the right foods into you ? Do you take warm baths to help your legs ??

The above are all things that will help you. I remember when i started all this in Sept 2009 i could run 2.4k and had to take two days off and almost got sick afterwards.

As you train your body will get stronger, i'm happy to say now that i'm at the stage where i can run 3 half marathon distances in 8 days and the other days i was swimming 2k or cycling.........hey and i'm not a small guy i'm just under 100kg so give it time !

Just a quick post on my weight. When i started all this training lack in Sept 2009 ( on Sept 1st the decision was made, the same day i'll finish U & O ) i weighed in at 119kg:eek: I'm only 5' 9" so that was rather rather heavy.

Since then its been up and down and even long before that i had lost weight on the atkins diet but put it all back on. But when i son was born i decided enough was enough and i actually wanted to be able to run around with him

Anyway i knew with Up & Over that

1. There would be $hit load of training
    2. I'd end up the fittest i've ever been
    3. I might actually losr some weight

I got my body fat etc done in Jan and i weighed 105kg:o and body fat was 29% ( yep i was almost 1/3 FAT ). A target was set for me to get down to between 92kg and 85kg, ok i'm never going to be a slim jim and i'm more of a prop forward build than a steeple chaser !

So just over 9 weeks left to Up & Over i am at.........98.5kg:D its the lowest i've been in about 9 years and more importantly i'm fit and healthy compared to the last time on atkins where i was eatting my body from the inside and was doing no exercise at all.

A target of a min of 6.5kg in 9 weeks is defo possible with the level of training i'm doing and i look foward to the morning of Aug 16th when i do my final pre event weigh in and get my body fat measured.

Work tonight so i had to run at lunch, i was limited for time so i just got 15.2k done. It was a nice run and i felt strong, not as warm as earlier in the week.

Cycle tomorrow from Galway to Portarlington to measure the first 3 marathons for Up & Over. Early start after work tonight and i have to work tomorrow night as well, ugh.

That will come with time, your body is still getting used to constant training.

Have you got your gait done ? Are you wearing the right runners ? Do you stretch afterwards ? Are you properly hydrated afterwards ? Are you getting the right foods into you ? Do you take warm baths to help your legs ??

The above are all things that will help you. I remember when i started all this in Sept 2009 i could run 2.4k and had to take two days off and almost got sick afterwards.

As you train your body will get stronger, i'm happy to say now that i'm at the stage where i can run 3 half marathon distances in 8 days and the other days i was swimming 2k or cycling.........hey and i'm not a small guy i'm just under 100kg so give it time !

Cheers Mark some great tips. I got a gait done a couple of years ago so I think they are grand. Would not be the best person for stretching and I'm not a lover of baths either:). Plenty to work on but I will get there

Cheers Mark some great tips. I got a gait done a couple of years ago so I think they are grand. Would not be the best person for stretching and I'm not a lover of baths either:). Plenty to work on but I will get there

They all help and the more you do the easier it will get !

Also how many km's are on your runners, i'm lucky to get 500k out of mine with the weight i slam into the ground with every step !

Not a whole lot this year, Only got them in March and I have been concentrating more on swimming and cycling so they should be okay

Long ass cycle today,

Off to Galway on the train early and down to give Amphibian King some funds for new runners and lots of lime green stuff !

Then the serious stuff begun, we had to measure out 3 of our marathons from Oranmore back to Geashill in Offaly.

We stopped in Craughwell just to stock up on water and sweets !! From then on it was off to 42.3k and our 1st marathon measured which was between Loughrea and Ballinalsoe.

Next we headed through Ballinalsoe with the wind on our backs. a quick stop for a photo in Shannonbridge and onwards to Cloghan where we marked our 2nd marathon and got more water and some nice chocolate !

Time for our 3rd marathon measurement and after we turned left at Blueball it was off to Tullamore and another pic beside a sign showing the distance to Portarlington.

A quick 10k and we hit Geashill and our 3rd marathon was measured, we'll need this if we want the 100 marathon club to run with us on non normal public days.

We only had 12k to go and it felt good to come into Portarlington after doing 150k on the bike. We talked about when doing 20k was an achievement and how far we've come.

I'm really looking forward to the bike leg of Up & Over.

Home, recovery drink, some peanut butter and jam sambos, a bath with epsom salts and my proper dinner before i headed out the door for work.

Tomorrow will be 10k in the morning and 10k in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

How do you find it splitting the runs like you are (10k morning and evening?) - I'm thinking about running in and out of work to help get mileage up.

Advertisement