Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

It was a great show up to the end, but what the **** kind of encore was that? I honestly hasn't realised Cartoons and Cereal was meant to be an encore. The music never stopped when he left stage and Ali was clearly set to to play another song.

I presumed it was a part of the main set and was standing there confused wondering where everybody was going.

And only a one song encore?

Where was HiiiPower, Regan Era, and more importantly Rigamortus?

That said what he did perform was excellent. Look out for a detox was amazing. I haven't really seen anybody bar Pharoahe that could perform a flow like that live, and without a hype man (though Ali pitched in a bit on one verse).

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

brilliant show , you could see kendrick really enjoyed the crowd ,
    the place was just hopping (my first time in vicar st.)
    some people where bitchin n moaning about him not play Hii power , (its a great tune ) , but didn't bother me ,
    would def go see him again

who was the dude on stage before kendrick ? was ok( would llike to check out his tunes , but jesus he was nervous as hell on stage ,

I'll try myself to upload the vid I took (phone unfortunately died after it )

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

floggg wrote: »

Where was HiiiPower, Regan Era, and more importantly Rigamortus?

Pretty sure that Rigamortus would be impossible to perform live :)
    baddebt wrote: »

who was the dude on stage before kendrick ? was ok( would llike to check out his tunes , but jesus he was nervous as hell on stage ,
    Rejjie Snow (formerly Lecs Luther), Irish rapper that gets loads of stick in the Irish hip hop community for accent and copying other people. But a pretty talented guy and I like his music.

I didn't get to the gig last night as my last minute efforts to get a ticket or guest list proved unsuccessful. Sounds like I missed a good un.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sounds like a great night, I'll be sure to catch him next time he's over, I've managed to get all the lads into Kendrick, they may not be the sharpest knifes in the drawer but they know a good flow when they hear one.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

That's what I would have thought before I saw him do look out for detox. His flow and breath control were amazing for a live performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

He had been doing it and HiiiPower according to setlist.fm and sometimes Ronald Regan Era.

Great gig though. Would have liked the second verse of M.a.a.d. City, but can't complain too much. One of the best live rappers I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Enjoyable gig, pity he didn't do the Jay Rock verse from Money Trees (probably my favourite verse of the album).

Some good interaction with the crowd which always helps the vibe.

Thought he could have finished up with another run through one of the "bigger" songs as part of the encore(backseat freestyle, money trees etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Would love to have been at the concert last night. I'll definitely be going to see him when he tours next.

This sounds selfish but I'm glad he didn't play Reagan Era, HiiPower or Rigamortus - my three favourite songs by him. I'd have been seriously jealous if he did them.

Would love to have been at the concert last night. I'll definitely be going to see him when he tours next.

This sounds selfish but I'm glad he didn't play Reagan Era, HiiPower or Rigamortus - my three favourite songs by him. I'd have been seriously jealous if he did them.

Well it might just have been me, but the lack of a proper 3 or 4 song encore just left me feeling short changed and disappointed in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

floggg wrote: »

Well it might just have been me, but the lack of a proper 3 or 4 song encore just left me feeling short changed and disappointed in the night.
    that's a tad picnikity in all fairness ,
    It was a great show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Really wish he was doing 2 nights, would love to go again tonight.

baddebt wrote: »
    that's a tad picnikity in all fairness ,
    It was a great show

Yea, probably. It's more so that I hadn't realised Cartoons and Cereal was meant to be an encore, so I was just standing there confuddled wondering why everybody was leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great night, I'll be sure to catch him next time he's over, I've managed to get all the lads into Kendrick, they may not be the sharpest knifes in the drawer but they know a good flow when they hear one.

Says your man...

It was a great gig, better than I had anticipated, especially as beforehand I thought the sound sounded very off. Like everyone I was hoping for and HiiiPower etc to finish but that doesn't take anything away from it. Good atmosphere and he seemed to enjoy it as well.

Rejjie Snow wasted a huge opportunity btw. He was absolutely awful, talking absolute ****e way too much between songs, songs that he performed terribly. Completely outshone by his pal in the red shirt (Crave?), who I'd have liked to hear a lot more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Rejjie Snow (formerly Lecs Luther), Irish rapper that gets loads of stick in the Irish hip hop community for accent and copying other people. But a pretty talented guy and I like his music.

He is copying more and more, voice is majorly changed too from when he first got a bit of buzz.

Who is he related to to get to support kendrick?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He is copying more and more, voice is majorly changed too from when he first got a bit of buzz.

Who is he related to to get to support kendrick?
    Rejjie is getting some popularity behind him, his newest video was released by Noisey who have affiliations with the likes of Action Bronson, Das Racist, The Streets, Danny Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Rejjie is getting some popularity behind him, his newest video was released by Noisey who have affiliations with the likes of Action Bronson, Das Racist, The Streets, Danny Brown.

He sounds like Tyler, he is not original in any way. He is losing any originality he has by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It was unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Its a shame you have to put on an American accent to get recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Think it was LUPE that said it, but a huge +1 for that dude in the red shirt while Rejjie Snow was on. Unfortunately I thought Rejjie didn't really know what to do with a big stage, obviously he's new to it so I'm not writing him off, but you could see the crowd react the energy the London rapper brought to the stage. I think he must have done only 4 bars before the crowd were cheering, and to be fair, he looked right at home up there. Who was he?

• Advertisement

As far as I know, Jesse James & Crave where supposed to be performing with Rejjie. They are his label-mates and they have a few tracks together.

I think the guy in the red shirt was Crave?

Just watching some of the videos from the gig....are these yours Pretty Boy?

36 seconds into the ADHD video, I really hope it wasnt one of the posters here that had a minor hissy fit "ADHD, ADDD HHH DDeeeeeeee, AD f*cking HD"

Just watching some of the videos from the gig....are these yours Pretty Boy?

36 seconds into the ADHD video, I really hope it wasnt one of the posters here that had a minor hissy fit "ADHD, ADDD HHH DDeeeeeeee, AD f*cking HD"

The one's posted are from my mates YouTube channel, I took a few too that I'll get up over the weekend. Laughing out loud at "ADeeeEE f*cking HDee" here haha never noticed it!

Couple of reviews :)
    Vicar Street, Dublin ****

Last year saw two hip-hop records top most critics’ lists. Frank Ocean’s Channel Orange is a groundbreaking album that eschewed every hip-hop cliche, from its language and its sounds to Ocean’s revelations about his personal life.

For many, though, Kendrick Lamar’s good kid, m.A.A.d city was the sharpest show in town. Lamar trades in the usual hip-hop tropes, but beneath the familiar lyrics of wine, women and song (to put it politely), there is a sophistication to the anger, and a craft to the intent. It’s little wonder then that the likes of Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg have labelled the latest kid from Compton as the new king of the west coast.

On record, Lamar’s tracks can sometimes feel a little languid, but live he explodes out of the box from the get-go, ripping up the stage and whipping up the crowd, all focused fury and channelled energy. Whenever he allows a small break in his rapping, the crowd bounce the words right back at him, filling in the gaps and roaring each line until Lamar repays the favour with the merest of smiles.

Songs from his debut studio album Section.80 get a wild reception – Hol’ Up and A.D.H.D. in particular – but it’s when he breaks out tracks from good kid that the room feels volcanic.

Lamar’s character-driven tales resonate because as well as being a superlative emcee, he has a talent for connecting with his fans. He makes the usual declarations about his fans being everything, and live this comes across as genuine. He flirts with a girl on the venue’s balcony, and stops the show to chat to someone not entirely overawed by the live Lamar onslaught. When a crowd surfer gets taken down by security, he breaks off to make sure the fan gets back into the mob, and slings bottles of water to the fever-pitch front row.

From the mouths of most, these would sound trite: “We’re always chasing the money, but we’re always keeping our skills up. This here is craftsmanship”; “The only reason I’m here is to inspire you to be whatever you want to be”; and “This is my first time in this place, this is a bit of history and I’ll always come back.” But when he finally tears the roof off the venue, with a closing salvo that includes Backstreet Freestyle and Swimming Pools, it seems there’s no one in the place who doesn’t believe in Kendrick Lamar.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2013/0116/1224328895919.html
    How often do American rappers ever come to Ireland? They barely even go to the UK or continental Europe. Sure, Lil Wayne and Eminem are both coming over this year but generally coming here is an afterthought, not even an obligation, so the fact that Kendrick Lamar is at Vicar St tonight is incredibly exciting.

Drumcondra’s Rejjie Snow is certainly feeling it. The former Lecs Luther bursts through half an hour worth of material, clearly revelling in playing to such a large hometown crowd and in support of the most breathlessly buzzed-about rapper of the past few years. He’s similar to Tyler, the Creator in his shock-tactic concepts and tone of voice (despite the northside accent), but his visible excitement and enthusiasm are enough to overcome such distractions and some awkward attempts at call-and-response from his instrumentalist – “when I say Kendrick, you say Lamar. Kendrick! ….”; seriously?

The crowd are starting to warm up. The lads are all turned out in their best New Era 9FIFTY snapbacks for the occasion, while the KPMG Girl wannabes take a million iterations of the same photo and complain about “they mother****in’ dominoes”. Snows attempts at getting some arms bouncing are greeted with an irony of forethought, but the anticipation is rising and restlessness spreads as the stage remains empty for a good half an hour after his exit.

The “Everybody, everybody” intro to ‘The Art of Peer Pressure’ causes everyone to stand to attention. Even if Lamar’s physical form briefly remains elusive, his voice is enough to cause an eruption of noise. He finally enters stage right and Vicar St loses its damn mind, before the track is scrapped in favour of ‘Westside, Right on Time’ – a surprising twist that signals a desire to test how fanatic and committed tonight’s crowd is.

This could have been an opportunity for Kendrick to promote his breakthrough album, the truly fantastic good kid, m.A.A.d city released in October, and get ready for the next stop on this tour, but thankfully, he sees tonight as more than an afterthought or an obligation. He declares it “good to finally be in this mother****er” and that “this is history” to inevitable rapture; he proves these grand statements to be more than flattering banalities over the next hour and a half with his startling energy and revealing anecdotal interludes.

The detour continues as ‘Hol’ Up’ and ‘P&P 1.5’ are both deployed in preparation for his furious attack on his one verse of ‘****in’ Problems’. He is relentless, constantly rushing to all corners of the stage and taking every opportunity to engage with the front rows. One gets the sense that had A$AP Rocky, Drake and 2 Chainz been here to fill out the rest of song, they would have been shoved into the background by Kendrick’s sheer ferocity. Well, maybe not 2 Chainz.

‘Money Trees’ provides the first real taste of good kid tonight, but proceedings jump to a whole new level when the opening bars of ‘Backseat Freestyle’ ring out. Every word of the penis-aggrandising chorus is shouted right back at Kendrick, regardless of gender and as if Catholic repression never existed in this country. It’s quite a sight and sound to behold. Things settle slightly during ‘Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe’ and ‘Poetic Justice’, but this is a relative calm before the oncoming storm.

The crowd feed off Kendrick’s ungodly endurance and revere his commitment to sharing their experience. Sweat pours off every brow and water is a precious commodity, but Kendrick makes a point of keeping his thick hoodie on as a mark of solidarity. The relationship between performer and crowd become symbiotic, as if each is forcing each the other to maintain the standard and exceed it when possible. This is only confirmed and articulated in the preamble to ‘**** Your Ethnicity’, and it’s clear that the thousand or so packed in here tonight have quashed any initial scepticism Kendrick may have had. He even picks out a surely beleaguered audience member before ‘m.A.A.d city’ and asks, “are you positive you wanna stay in that position? You sure?” He or she stays to endure the oncoming physicality. Limbs constantly flail and the crowd collectively shifting across the floor as people push to the front. It’s violent and loud but a truly unforgettable moment in a gig full of them.

‘Swimming Pools (Drank)’, the most clean-cut anthem in Lamar’s arsenal, brings the pre-encore to a close, and the ‘Ole, Ole’ chants begin. This isn’t a gig as gratification for the artist or audience; at least, it doesn’t feel like it. Tonight, Kendrick introduced himself to a European audience and let everyone know what went into getting him to this point from the no man’s land between the red and blue factions of Compton with his impressive craft and engaging personality. The gangs and police of his hometown may have been dismissive, but everyone here respects the good kid from the m.A.A.d city.

http://www.state.ie/live-reviews/kendrick-lamar-dublin?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+StateMagazine+(State+Magazine)

Anyone here? :p

11spb2w.png

My buddy took some snaps at the Kendrick Lamar gig the other night.

They should be the first ones on this link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveysnaps/

This is his portfolio as well, got pictures from loads of gigs on it as well
    http://davidsexton.4ormat.com/

One more review.
    'I didn't go mainstream... Mainstream came to me.' And it's true - Kendrick Lamar hasn't compromised for his fame, he's earned it with widely acclaimed debut 'Section 80' and the soon to be classic 'good kid, m.A.A.d city', released last October. The Compton prodigy's first show in Dublin is quite possibly one that will be remembered long after last night for its intimate nature, the fact being that his next one will surely be in the O2 and Lamar's fame is only going to grow further towards legendary status over the course of the next decade.

The possiblity of thousands gathering just to hear 'Swimming Pools' was quickly dismissed as the crowd faithfully chanted every lyric Lamar had to spit early on, and it was easy to tell even he was a little surprised by cries of 'Ken-drick, Ken-drick' upon his arrival on stage. Kicking off with 'Section 80' hits such as 'Hol Up', 'Tammy's Song' and 'A.D.H.D', the Irish audience were bouncing and rapping back every word to Lamar, while DJ Ali made a point of cutting the beat during nearly every song just to hear the deafening crowd shouting ryhmes up at the stage. Lamar's on-stage presence was messiah-like mid-song but in-between his tales of song origin, growing up in Compton and interactions with fans (especially of the female variety) were an absolute delight to the crowd who responded by making a serious amount of noise for his insightful, comical remarks.

Around half-way through Lamar stopped to ask if 'anyone know of an album called good kid, maad city? I duuno if y'all got that over here' before blasting into a series of fan favourites such as 'Backseat Freestyle', 'Money Trees', 'Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe' and 'Poetic Justic' to an explosive audience, before ending with 'Swimming Pools' as cries of 'Drank!' rang around the venue. A short encore followed and chants of 'Ole, ole, ole, ole' probably confused the hip hop star, but one thing was clear to him: the devotion and loyalty of the Irish audience, a fact he acknowleged several times, saying 'Man I am so glad to be finally be up in this mother****er.'

Expectations were set high for a great night but it's true to say they were exceeded as Lamar demonstrated first hand why he is currently being touted as the new king of hip-hop. It's not hard to imagine that in 10-20 years the name Kendrick Lamar will stand alongside Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G and Jay Z, so the chance to see a potential legend in as intimate and personal a venue as Vicar Street will be remembered as a truly unique occasion, and one that will be recalled by Irish fans for a long time. He knows it too, ending with a perfect message that everyone took to heart: 'Y'all been with me since the beginning. And if this thing gets big for me, I'm not gonna forget it, and you all know you were here tonight.'

Without a shadow of a doubt one of the finest live performances I've ever seen and something that we were all privileged to witness.

Setlist
    The Art of Peer Pressure (Intro)
    Westside, Right On Time
    Hol' Up
    ****in' Problems
    Tammys Song
    A.D.H.D
    Money Trees
    Backseat Freestyle
    Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
    Poetic Justice
    Chapter Six
    The Recipe
    P&P
    Cut You Off
    m.A.A.d city
    Swimming Pools (Drank)
    Cartoons & Cereal

http://entertainment.ie/music/live-reviews/Kendrick-Lamar-Vicar-Street-14th-January-2013/160078.htm

Looks like London was decent aswell...

Goosebumps.

• Advertisement

Looks like London was decent aswell...

Goosebumps.

Advertisement