Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 ordering process

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Why did you bother posting here? Was it to get a reaction or to spark an Android v Apple debate? Go get your Galaxy Nexus and be happy but please don't try and start an argument.

I had no intention of starting a fanboy war, its just for such a major launch to be so restricted internationally, run out of stock instantly and have a 2 tier pricing structure. Lets not forget Google takes advantage of Irelands tax laws to save money but cant be bothered selling devices to irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joshhbk

To be fair, you say that as if Google don't actually want to sell the device in Ireland or have as many people using their media store as possible. As near as I'm aware, the reason that we don't have Play Music/Movies/Books in Ireland is because getting something like that up and running here is made very difficult by the laws and licencing in this country. iTunes was and is far less good in Ireland when you compare it to the amount of content available for users in other countries (this is something which is improving, but still), look at how long it took Spotify to get to market here and look at other services such as the PSN store.

The entire reason why Google is selling it so cheap, as noted, is to get people spending money on music, movies and books. When it cannot do so in this country right now, for whatever reason, it simply does not make business sense to try and get the device into the hands of Irish users ahead of other regions where they'll actually make money by doing so. And this is coming from someone who desperately wants a Nexus 4 and is considering paying far above and beyond the €299 price tag to do so.

Similarly, as noted by Android Police last week, it was almost literally impossible for them to gauge demand for it and as a result having the stock to match demand was practically impossible. Apple has far more experience at launching its own devices and besides anything, what Google is doing here is incredibly important for the consumer. How much is a new iPhone unlocked? How much are we all getting riddled for on eighteen month or two year contracts? Google may have botched this launch to some extent but I think when we're looking back at this in five years it will be seen as a landmark moment in a lot of ways. Gaining some control from carriers without spending huge amounts of money up front for a top of the range device is very, very important in my opinion and anybody attempting to provide this is doing a very positive thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I've just heard from a number of different, unrelated sources that Google are planning on trailing a retail store here in Ireland.
    That would also lend credibility to the online store being available here as well.

Seemingly this is going to happen quite soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I've just heard from a number of different, unrelated sources that Google are planning on trailing a retail store here in Ireland.
    That would also lend credibility to the online store being available here as well.

Maybe they read it here http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-09/google-plans-first-retail-store-at-europe-headquarters-building-in-dublin.html

Which Google were quick to deny http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/25729-google-says-no-plans-to-ope

Though the denial did seem a little half hearted
    "We already have an online store selling things like Google T-shirts and pens.We have the option of a small space doing the same in our Dublin office but we've not made any decisions, it's simply a planning application"

I'd love a device store to open up here, I also love to be able to buy the likes of music and or movies here, but I really don't see it happening soon, by soon I mean the next few weeks.

PopnFresh wrote: »
    Honestly the iPhone 5 launch has been pretty disastrous, at least for customers in Ireland. All networks had extremely limited stock and it has been delivered by Apple in drips throughout the first two months. We are almost in a position where any iPhone 5 you order today can be delivered within the week.

As if by magic
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/apple/iphone/apple-expected-to-catch-up-with-iphone-5-demand-in-2-weeks/

How long is the iphone 5 out now? And this is from a company that's been doing this for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

As i've got a work pc and work laptop for home, I dont want to start messing around with IP addresses. I will do it on my sisters laptop when I am in her house.
    If these are out before Christmas I am going to get a friend to bring it home from NY for me (in my opinion i think this is a marketing ploy and they will definatly be out before Chrismtas, if they are not, google have been pretty stupid, but thats just my opinion).
    What I want to ask is there phone covers and accessories also available to buy on the site? I think someone said here there is an option for wireless charging, how much is this extra gadget for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 darrenkenny

mel123 wrote: »
    As i've got a work pc and work laptop for home, I dont want to start messing around with IP addresses. I will do it on my sisters laptop when I am in her house.
    If these are out before Christmas I am going to get a friend to bring it home from NY for me (in my opinion i think this is a marketing ploy and they will definatly be out before Chrismtas, if they are not, google have been pretty stupid, but thats just my opinion).
    What I want to ask is there phone covers and accessories also available to buy on the site? I think someone said here there is an option for wireless charging, how much is this extra gadget for example?

I don't believe there is an 'official' gadget out there yet, but it's using the Qi standard for wireless charging - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(inductive_power_standard) - and I saw a clock in The Gadget Store in Dundrum recently that had support for Qi - http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=147 - but it's not that cheap, but I'm sure there are other options out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Will be interesting to see the price in shops over here

http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus_4_carphone_warehouse_surprising_price-news-5111.php

thomasj wrote: »

http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus_4_carphone_warehouse_surprising_price-news-5111.php

No one has even said they are going to be selling it over here, I wouldn't be surprised if no networks end up having it

Might be worth keeping this bookmarked http://ludalex.soupwhale.com/n4checker/?country=uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

thomasj wrote: »

Ugh :(
    I don't know why they would even bother when the play store is so much cheaper and available in the UK.
    Unless google intends to only sell a very small amount themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

handtec.co.uk just cancelled my (pre)order and gave me a refund citing "we have no dates at all on when this product will be coming into stock."

Sad :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6474/nexus-4-includes-support-for-lte-on-band-4-aws

so it has some version of lte at least - 1700/2100 Mhz

but it won't make a difference for Ireland
    Frequency Band|Licence Period|Hutchison 3G Ireland Ltd.|Meteor Mobile Communications Ltd|Telefonica Ireland Ltd|Vodafone Ireland Ltd
    800 MHz|2013-2015|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    900 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    1800 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|-|2 × 15 MHz
    |2015-2030|2 × 20 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 25 MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 30 elarkin

So I'm sick of waiting for this phone, thinking of ordering off ebay.

Does anyone know if these are preorders for the N4 or are the devices actually shipped immediately? Sorry for asking but Google translate is not translating everything and I haven't a clue what the listing says!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NUOVO-LG-NEXUS-4-16-GB-GOOGLE-ORIGINALE-SBLOCCATO-/221157263947?pt=Smartphone&hash=item337e000a4b#ht_4303wt_1377

and

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LG-Nexus-4-16GB-GOOGLE-Android-Jelly-Bean-4-2-SIM-FREE-Nexus-10-/261132065095?pt=Smartphone&hash=item3cccaf1947#ht_1758wt_1377

Thanks!

edit: actually scrap that. Managed to translate it. Seems to be that both listings are preorders!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

To anyone who has got one could you tell us what you think of it please.
    Cheers.

Does anyone else check to see if it's back in stock if they wake up during the night? I've started doing this, I checked it on my phone at about 4 this morning :-)

My thinking is, if I were in charge that's probably when I'd put it back after what happened last time, at least you wouldnt get the rush of thousands of people at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Yep. All the time. I see the 3G nexus 7 came back into stock during the night. Like you said I'd re-stock at random times.
    Nolimits wrote: »
    Does anyone else check to see if it's back in stock if they wake up during the night? I've started doing this, I checked it on my phone at about 4 this morning :-)

My thinking is, if I were in charge that's probably when I'd put it back after what happened last time, at least you wouldnt get the rush of thousands of people at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Nolimits wrote: »

At least I'm not the only one unreasonably obsessed with checking.

I generally have this tab open all the time, and check every hour or so. I know there's a good chance it won't be before december, or even during december, but I can't help myself.

Does anyone know if you can just enter a non-legit phone number for the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

anyone using a vpn? if so can you have a look at the US play store and see if they have any nexus 4 in stock. i have some some family on holiday there this week. does it give guaranteed delivery times? thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

emo72 wrote: »
    anyone using a vpn? if so can you have a look at the US play store and see if they have any nexus 4 in stock. i have some some family on holiday there this week. does it give guaranteed delivery times? thanks folks.

http://ludalex.soupwhale.com/n4checker/

Was talking to a guy there as well, he said they have none. He's waiting to buy some to bring back here and make a fortune with

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

emo72 wrote: »

I'm in the US till mid Dec, have a page monitor running on the site and still feel compelled to check almost on an hourly basis! Will post here as soon as they come back up, better be before I leave!!

• Advertisement

I consider myself very reasonably obsessed, it's not unreasonable to keep checking during the day and then whenever I wake up at night :P

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I generally have this tab open all the time, and check every hour or so. I know there's a good chance it won't be before december, or even during december, but I can't help myself.

Order 2 and ill give you my legit phone number to use which I have when working over there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

When I I just ordered I just made one up with require digit number
    If theirs a problem they email you.

As to phone no issues works great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

A friend mentioned last night that the Nexus 4 had LTE, bunch of videos on YouTube about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

A friend mentioned last night that the Nexus 4 had LTE, bunch of videos on YouTube about it.

It has an lte chip as its part of the processor but it doesnt have the other stuff that it requires to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

It has an lte chip as its part of the processor but it doesnt have the other stuff that it requires to work.

As mentioned by MiCr0 earlier, and also stated in the clip tyler linked, the Nexus 4 works on LTE at 1700/2100 MHz (Band 4) which is not the right frequency for Ireland. Below is the table MiCr0 posted regarding recent spectrum auction by Comreg:
    MiCr0 wrote: »
    Frequency Band|Licence Period|Hutchison 3G Ireland Ltd.|Meteor Mobile Communications Ltd|Telefonica Ireland Ltd|Vodafone Ireland Ltd
    800 MHz|2013-2015|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    900 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    1800 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|-|2 × 15 MHz
    |2015-2030|2 × 20 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 25 MHz

So unfortunately the best you'll get here on the Nexus 4 is HSPA+ :(

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

It will be end of 2013 before we even get a sniff of 4G here , shouldn't really be an issue.

Any word on when it's going to be back in stock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is unreal, that this phone not available here.

And if those reports are true that it will be retailed at €420 here, they **** right off. I wanted this on release, but since we are a ****bag country who couldn't organise a birthday party, I'll just hang on till I travel abroad or a friend does, mental stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Pages wrote: »
    It will be end of 2013 before we even get a sniff of 4G here , shouldn't really be an issue.

According to siliconrepublic.com O2 plan to commence rollout of 4G services before end of Q2 2013. Vodafone "...from next year, they (our customers) will experience the next generation of mobile technology, 4G". Eircom/Meteor rollout "in the next 12 months" and 3 were quite nondescript but given their focus on data I would be surprised if they were last to the LTE party.

With all that info I personally wouldn't buy the Nexus 4. I live in an urban area of Dublin City so I would hope to have LTE coverage at some point next year. If you aren't living in an urban area or don't feel the need for the highest data speeds then the Nexus 4 is an absolutely bargain and a great phone. I'm 90% sure I'll buy one for my dad if they come back in stock before Christmas.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is unreal, that this phone not available here.

And if those reports are true that it will be retailed at €420 here, they **** right off. I wanted this on release, but since we are a ****bag country who couldn't organise a birthday party, I'll just hang on till I travel abroad or a friend does, mental stuff.

Don't blame the country, blame the company who refuses to sell it. We're cheap labour for them (or a tax haven), but aren't worth selling to.

Advertisement